PDA

View Full Version : turning point

chewie
08-13-2004, 11:11 PM
hey all, this is how i spent my afternoon yesterday.
11x14 on cream art spectrum
this is from the RIL
C&C welcome!
(something needed on the far right, by those trees?)

prestonsega
08-13-2004, 11:24 PM
chewie....the colores and application technique are very nice, and not seeing your inpiration pic, I don't know how you got to this point. I am not real good at talking specifically about landscapes, but I get the feeling that the building and trees are almost lost in the nothingness of the open meadow. Please don't cringe, but my first response was, "crop".......it seems that there is so much unused same colored space in the field that I want to see some more of something, (now do I have you thoroughly confused?...I said I am not well versed on landscape critiques. :confused: ) I do like the way you've depicted the water puddle in the road.

Deborah Secor
08-14-2004, 12:24 AM
Well, kinda hate to disagree with Preston but this just looks like the wide open west to me! I love the colors of the grasses against the hills--very nice depth here. Your sky is beautiful, too! and the barn is well done...

My problem is that you've created a triangle of interesting things and my eye doesn't know which one to light on--the barn, the trees or the reflection. I suspect this has something to do with scale, so if I were you I'd try changing things. You might do a quick sketch of some smaller trees on a snick of paper and see if size changes things, and maybe move them around a bit in the composition. When I take them out the whole thing changes... You can figure this out--and I hope you do! It's a very nice piece, worth a bit more consideration.

Deborah

jackiesimmonds
08-14-2004, 02:31 AM
Nodding, and agreeing with Deborah here. My first instinct was "OK, whch is the focal point?"

Ask yourself which is the element you want to draw the most attention to. It helps to give the picture a title...then you will KNOW immediately what to emphasise.

Having decided, then you can subdue the importance of the subordinate elements.

You can do this by melting them into the landscape a little ....so, for instance, if you want to subdue the trees, you could reduce the amount of contrast between the trees and their surroundings. If they were closer in tone to their surroundings, they would be less "visible" - strong contrasts of tone always draw the eye to that spot.
That is a good rule of thumb to remember when you want to attract attention to a particular part of your pic ... increasing the contrasts in that area is one way of doing that.

That puddle is delicious, but it would appear to be reflecting bright sky, and yet the sky is quite dark. Just a thought.

Dark_Shades
08-14-2004, 03:43 AM
this is a beauty...... gorrrrrrrrrgeous colours throughout....... those clouds are fantastic, and depicted perfectly for the weather and atmosphere ........ love it all ........... I would of been over the moon and chuffed to bits if I had done this :)

...... well done Chewie :clap:

Diane Cutter
08-14-2004, 07:54 AM
Stunning... I love your color choices and, personally, I like roaming all over it... Makes me want to find that place and live there forever...

Diane

Khadres
08-14-2004, 08:56 AM
Great, rich colors and space galore! That barn could be the focal point without too much work? Just up the contrasts and a bit more detail would do it. Might also want to look at the conifer tree group, as well...if it's intended to be further distant than the barn, the scale may be a bit large. Vera nice, indeed, as it is, tho!

chewie
08-14-2004, 10:44 AM
thanks all. and to dee and jackie, you are talking about the same thing i was wondering!! hmm, now to fix it. i am wanting the barn the main thing, but somehow those trees ran off with the focal point. last night after posting i did scumble some rust from the darker grassy areas into the trees and it did push them back a bit. maybe more of that? and if i darken that puddle a bit, will it still read as a puddle? i will have to play around a bit. thank you for your imput, back to the easel!

judwal
08-14-2004, 11:56 AM
Love the colors and simplicity of this painting. Maybe just a touch of blue in the puddle.