PDA

View Full Version : Crimp Covers

fringe4u
08-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Hello Everyone, I just looked at show and tell and everything is wonderful!! I haven't been able to bead, my father-in-law is in the hospital, so I have been spending everyday with him.
I received my Rio Grande catalog this week.......WOW....I love it. So before I make an order I had a question. Has anyone used the sterling bead crimp covers? If you remember my last post, I had trouble with crimps. I now am slowly becoming a "crimp queen", but I still don't like them and would love to use these covers. If you have used them, can I use my own crimpers or must I buy RG's crimpers. I do have a good pair.
One last question, in my stash of things I found Beadalon Dandyline .008 and 20 pound breakage. Could I use this to sew on my seed beads? Thanks for all of your help...And to our Florida Friends, STAY SAFE I am thinking of you...Debbie

earthenwood
08-14-2004, 09:30 AM
Debbie,
I saw those crimp covers in the new catalog as well. They look interesting. They might be able to be used for other purposes too, like on thin cord maybe. I was tempted to try some, but I think you do need the crimp tool specifically for them. The picture looks a bit different from the standard crimp tool. But it might be worth it to get some and try it with standard pliers.

Can't help with your other question.

If you do get those crimps, let us know how it works!

LLane
08-14-2004, 09:36 AM
Deb,
I saw some beads called crimp cover at the vendor at the Gathering that had hilltribe silver. She said you just open them and close around the crimp with regular pliers... not crimp them..... that way they just look like a bead.... unless the ones at Rio are different. I would think you wouldn't want to crimp them because they would look just like the crimp you are covering!! :D

Someone bought some...... Nancy was it you???? Let's hear how they are!!!

Peace,
Lois

Beads-Me!
08-14-2004, 09:52 AM
Someone bought some...... Nancy was it you???? Let's hear how they are!!!

I thought I did - but when I got home they weren't in my stash..... :confused: Wierd! But Lois has it right - they were to cover the crimp - so I wouldn't think you would use crimpers. But I haven't gotten the new catalog yet so I'm not sure if they're the same thing or not! Hopefully I'll get the catalog today!!

earthenwood
08-14-2004, 10:42 AM
I bet they could be used with regular pliers. They are a good idea, I think. Rio has a way of making me think I need things I don't actually need. Stupid old Rio Grande with their beautiful catalogs full of stuff I *NEED*! (and when I do order it, they usually back order it anyways)