PDA

View Full Version : Portrait for critique

maha
10-13-2001, 10:46 PM
Hi, I'm new to this site. I have a lot of artwork that I want to expose for critique. Let me know what you think.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Oct-2001/p2.jpg:)

sherville
10-14-2001, 08:11 AM
Hiya, welcome to WC.
I guess since you posted this in illustration and not in the drawing forum, that you want this portrait to have an illustration look?
It is bordering on the real side, which is cool, I'm not sure what sort of critique you want... It all looks pretty cool to me, only her lips and chin look a little off... I think her bottom lip may be a bit big, but I can't really say without the reference of course.
I think you have smudged (with either a finger or stump) which I normally don't like, but you have left some grain so it doesn't bother me so much...
Of course this last thing I have just said is purely personal, i'm just waffling on....
If you want some really useful help on this portrait, you might like to post it in the Portraiture forum (if you haven't already, and if you want critique on realistic portraits, rather than illustrative ones)
:)

Keith Russell
10-17-2001, 11:31 AM
Greetings:

I have to agree with sherville, this looks like yor're not quite sure whether to make this look very realistic, or somewhat 'cartoonish'.

The shading, and certain aspects of the drawing, look realistic.

Other elements of the drawing do not look as realistic.

Her left breast does not look as full as the right, and there should be darker shadows beneath her chin and under her arm, given the strength of the shadow beneath her nose.

I like the expression in the face, and I really like the treatment of her hair.

As far as 'portrait' goes, if this isn't a 'real' person, I don't believe it should be called a portrait.

Most of the figures in my paintings are drawn from imagination, and although some of them end up looking rather realistic, I would hesitate to call them portraits.

Keith.