PDA

View Full Version : Two firsts Pastel and life study

Wyobud
10-13-2001, 10:36 PM
I had a chance friday to do a life study and had an experienced pastel artist to encourage me. Both were firsts for me.

It was a hoot. The model was John Phelps, a very successful Wyoming artist.

Bud

Bobbie
10-14-2001, 10:50 AM
Wow - he's great! 1st life study? Very impressive.

Shirl
10-14-2001, 02:41 PM
Hi Bud!

Great work and a great opportunity. Love the freestyle. How wonderful to have an expert over your shoulder. Is this your first pastel too?? How much time did this painting take?

I'm knee-deep into pastels also, just winging it so far. I'm having a difficult time finding my color medium but pastels may be it. Horses do well in pastels. What paper do you like?

Shirl

Wyobud
10-15-2001, 10:26 PM
Thanks Bobbie and Shirl............encouraging

Yep Shirl this was my first pastel. I bought a set of used Grumbacher pastels at a farm auction maybe ten years ago, and they've been naggin me to use them. This was a very unpressured session and it probably took me a couple of hours to get this much done. The paper was borrowed so I don't have a clue to its pedigree.

It was an enjoyable time, but I don't know enough to be comfortable with the medium.

Bud

sandge
10-16-2001, 12:41 AM
Did someone take away his chair? :evil:

When you do another life study, do put in the chair/horse or whatever is supporting the model. It will give you more reference points from which to compare the accuracy of your drawing and the model will look odd with out it.

Great first attempt. Keep going. :D

Wyobud
10-17-2001, 10:56 PM
Chuckle.............Yep Sandra.......... A fella could get a hernia trying to sit like that.

Bud

Sandi
10-22-2001, 12:24 AM
Hey Bud, you have a good feel for pastels! Hope to see more.

max nelson
11-14-2001, 10:07 PM
Hey Bud, you old sheephearder, that's a mighty fine pastel for your first. Like the sitter's woolies. Chatted with you a couple of months ago (my first chat...havn't been back since...no not 'cause of you, just no time):D
Max

Wyobud
11-20-2001, 06:25 AM
Ho==Max.............I haven't been into this forum for a while, dang near missed you. That was my first chat also and I've not been back. Chat stresses me, my mind is slow and it's much faster than my fingers. And the language==if they was to cuss at me I wouldn''t know.

I probably should apalogise to that little gal from UK. With a name like West I figured she would at least have a Chew. How was I to know she was from outa town.

I'm getting primed to do a couple small pastels for a young fella here in town. He''ll trade for some leather work. He's better at leather work than I am with pastels so this should be an interesting trade, naturally I'll try to get the best of him.

BUD

max nelson
11-20-2001, 06:38 PM
Hey Bud...before you hand over those pastels be sure to post them here. I want to know how you get the best on this trade. I've got a saddlemaker I do some trading with and HE always gets the best of me! Oh, and I bet West does chew!
:) Max