PDA

View Full Version : Wear its at! Friday 13th

Andee
08-13-2004, 05:54 AM
Good morning everybody!

I hate my new sleeping rythm - I only fall asleep somewhere around 3 at night, and then only get up around 10ish in the morning, and that's such a waste! :(

Thanks btw for the tip with the magnifiers - I don't think that'll help, tho. Seeing the seedbeads isn't the problem - the way I hold the piece is it, more likely (claws all the way!)! ;)

Pam - I'm keeping everything crossed for your Zoe, I hope everything goes well!!

Barbara - your pup-story had me shaking my heads regularly. How do they EVER get homes for the doggies? Do they even WANT to find homes for them? I'm all for animal rights and it's good to take care about where a dog is going to live, see that it's going to good hands, but this is just absolutely overdoing it... I'm so sorry for you that it didn't work out with Ranger! :(

On a lighter note: Happy Birthday to your son, Nancy! :)

Have a productive day, y'all! :)

Nolly
08-13-2004, 06:53 AM
Good morning, Andee, and to all who come after.

I had to read back a couple of days to pick up all that's been going on. Barb, I know you know this ... everything will work out in its own way, but, geesh, those folks at the shelter could be a little easier to deal with! You'd think they were selling champions instead of trying to find homes for abandoned animals ...

I'm finally getting back in the groove ... could jet lag have taken nearly a week to resolve? I ended up with my days and nights mixed up ... weird. I've been getting back on the torch in fits and starts, but I need beads, so I'm hoping for a good long session today.

I'm going to post this question in its own thread, but I'll preview it here ... has anyone done a home show and, if so, what kind of inventory is needed? One of my red hat buddies has offered to do a show and I can't imagine what I might need. Any and all help is much appreciated.

Have a great day,

Nolly

beclectic
08-13-2004, 08:14 AM
Good Mornin' Everyone,

Pam, I am hoping that everything goes well with your pup's surgery and that the news is good about the growth.

Nancy, happy birthday to your 17 year old. I know exactly how you feel. I look at my sons and am just amazed how grown up they are. I'm sure our parents felt the same about us, I know that mine still do. :D

Andee, the times I've been between jobs I find I start getting into that pattern. Staying up later and later to finish one more thing then sleeping the morning away. I guess it is good that I have a job that keeps me on schedule most of the time, also a daughter that wakes up about 7:30 a.m. every morning if left to her own devices. I don't even remember what sleeping late is like anymore.

As to dogs being hard to adopt I think it is just weird. They advertise that they need homes for these animals but no one is good enough. I know that the dog Dax at the Animal Control Shelter has been available for adoption at least 2 months because I saw him at a dog adoption fair I went to 2 months ago so it is not like other perfect people are beating their doors down to adopt these dogs. I am trying to be centered about this and not take it personally. Something will happen and we will get a dog or puppy or find out why it is a bad time to start with a new pet. I hope it is not the second reason, a bad time, that sounds very ominous now that I reread it.

Nolly, it most certainly could take a week to reajust to a different schedule. The bigger the time difference the longer it takes I've heard. I've seen other references to Red Hat. What is that?

debkauz
08-13-2004, 09:08 AM
Mornin' all,
I am at work and totally distracted with my student and setting up for an open heart. I will try to get back later.
Get some rest!
Jetlag lasts for weeks for me.
You would be a wonderful doggy home.

Deb

McDuck
08-13-2004, 09:18 AM
Good Day Everyone!

Nancy, Happy Bday to the 17 yr old son! Just wait, mine daughter turns 21 this year :eek:

Andee, I way too much know what you mean about the sleeping disorder. i too have that problem :(

Nolly, I actually have a red hat bead that is way cool Let me know if you wanna see it. As for the home show, it is like anything else. make everything you can, some will sell, some will need to be resized and some will be special ordered cuz some people just cant buy off the shelf! LOL

Barbara, I am just perplexed. Someone needs to write an editorial on the shelter for the local paper. What a joke.

Deb - you snuck in cuz I wrote a book. LOL good luck with your student!

In the Chicago area ***THERE IS A SLIGHT INKLING OF SUN*** :clap: and pretty blue sky ;) but I think it is still cool which is still WRONG! As for me, I am getting ready for my day, going to the local farmers market with my mom and sis, dropping by the ceramic store as I am trying to finish two lamps and am missing a top for one of them which leaves me one lamp one vase :crying: and a VERY LARGE VASE to boot. I also need to pick up two display plates my gf fired for me, and try to stay away from the glazes. LOL then home to go to the post office and back to pour and form and make molds as I have a show in two weeks :eek: I just hope I do well. I need time to make some new jewelry and to finish photographing my beads for my website. Cant sell it if it isnt there! One thing left for the neighbor ladies yard and we are done. Then the other neighbor wants us to level some ground in their yard.

you all have a wonderful friday!
Mary...errrr...McDuck

TheBlueBetween
08-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Hiya everyone :)

Zoe just left for the vets. Will have to check in with them in a few hours to see how surgery went. Can't bring her home till late this afternoon. I swear this dog reads my mind. She woke up this morning and wouldn't leave my side - she usually goes and does her thing which is to find some patch of sun or sit on the deck and watch the neighborhood, but no, glued to me and looking up at me with those big brown eyes. She's such a good girl. (thanks for all the good thoughts everyone :) )

Hope everyone has a nice friday - and that the sun comes out or stays out where ever you are. Speaking of, have to go check on the Charley situation - the inlaws called last night and left a strange message about how they will be fine and don't worry - the house is all boarded up with them inside it and they have plenty of food and water and medicines. Oh, right - after a message like that, we're not going to worry???

Edit: M-I-L just called from florida - they are getting ready to be hit in about 2 hours with 90-110 mile an hour winds and expecting flooding up to 9 feet. Ug. Sending out good safe and dry vibes for all of you in Florida, etc.

Ta,
Pam

Barrie
08-13-2004, 12:18 PM
Good morning!
I hope everyone in Florida weathers the storm. I couldn't imagine living someplace like that! And I won't even complain about our heat, at least it's not dangerous (it really isn't THAT hot). Thoughts and prayers for your puppy, Pam. Mary, I keep trying to force this sunshine east, but it just ain't working! The weather folk say we're stuck with it for another couple of weeks. UG!! Andee, hope you get thsoe sleep patterns under control. Hopefully the perfect job falls into your lap! Barb, that stupid shelter crap shouldn't deter you from your puppy quest. You just have to use different angles. Have you tried the local papers? I was thinking about this too, and we got our current dog (a big moose of a purebred German Shepherd) by beoing in the right place at the right time. I was in the pet food store (they don't have animals, just food) and glanced at the bulletin board. There was a small ad looking for a home for this dog. Well, I worked in pet stores for years, I ignore those ads. But for some strange reason, I pulled the ad off the board and stuck it in my pocket. I never do that! Got home, talked to my dh, and we phoned the number. Just to give you the picture, we were living in Vancouver proper (right in the big city), already had 2 dogs, a bunch of cats and birds and four kids (at that time ages 7-13). Oh, and we were leaving for a 5 day fishing trip up country the next day. For godness knows what reason, we went to see this dog. The guy lived on the 14th floor in a bachelor apartment right downtow, in the middle of skyscrapers, etc. He worked two full time jobs, and this poor dog who should have been a mature 3 year old was a simpering puppy, who was so fidgety and hyper, drove my crazy immediately. So we took the dog for a walk (in the dark, to the park a dozen blocks from this place) and by the time we got back to the guys apartment, we decide we had to have him. So we pack the four kids, and this dog in the van and go home. Turned the house upside down! My cockatoo was terrified of him, the cats thought we'd lost our marbles. Not to mention what my mom thought, who was lving with us at the time! LOL! Anyway, we took all the kids and all 3 dogs up to the cabin fishing (4 hour drive!), and spent 5 days getting to know this big dog! Now, 6 years later, I wouldn't do a thing differently. He's the best!! So after that novel, my point is, what was meant to be will be, and you may just end up with the perfect dog, when you least expect it!!
Now I've used up all my space and time, I better get off this thing and get going! I'm off to Vancouver to pick up LOTS of silver and tools for my trip next week! Sorry to everyone I missed (big mouth flapping again!!) Have a great day everyone!!!

beclectic
08-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Barrie, you are so funny and so right. When I said I was giving up, I meant I was giving up on the shelters. Now I'm just keeping my eyes open and telling all my friends to keep their eyes open. I'm looking at the bulliten boards in the grocery store and looking in the paper. Something will happen, I just know it will.

Packing all the kids and dogs up to go fishing sounds heavenly. I haven't been fishing in ages. Mark(DS) and I used to go fishing all the time. Maybe I'll have to think about organizing a fishing trip to one of the local lakes soon.

Bangs
08-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Hi all,

Barbara, I'll be hoping that all turns out perfectly in the end with your pending adoption. I look at my two fur doggies, curled up now but always waiting for my word or movement, and count my blessings every day. There is nothing like their unconditional love and companionship.

I hope you all are being more productive than I am. Maybe it's this weather, but I've had no energy this week, and it doesn't matter how much sleep I get. Agh! And I have so many ideas that I want to play with. Going to throw some fresh earwires in the tumbler and that will probably be the extent of my efforts today. Sad!!

Also have been talking to MIL who lives between Orlando and Tampa, who is terrified of storms, any storms, and trying to reach BIL and family who are just outside Tampa. Hope that means they have evacuated.

Lori-O
08-13-2004, 01:46 PM
Hi all.. looks like lots going on today! I just have to pass thru quickly cuz the niece and nephews are here ( :clap: ) for their last weekend (and they want the computer! I won't see them again until Thanksgiving. Boo Hoo!

Just a quick word on my depression. I am benefitting from the Geodon, and I have been trying to journal some and that helps.. but I've not been sleeping well, so I've got to get into a better sleep groove - which is a big part of the physical side of depression.

Anyway.. I'm working on a few surprises.. I'll have to post them next week because tomorrow I start a 2-day class with our own Rita ("Bonita") Burkholder. Very exciting!

See you all Monday..

Lori

Hiway
08-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Zoe just left for the vets. Will have to check in with them in a few hours to see how surgery went. Can't bring her home till late this afternoon. I swear this dog reads my mind. She woke up this morning and wouldn't leave my side - she usually goes and does her thing which is to find some patch of sun or sit on the deck and watch the neighborhood, but no, glued to me and looking up at me with those big brown eyes. She's such a good girl. (thanks for all the good thoughts everyone :)

Hi there, Pam....

It is going on for three o'clock EDT; I don't know if you have received any word about the beloved Zoe yet, but I am praying for good news.

I've been reading and trying to catch up with everyone, but I am so ticked off with the shelter in Barbara's area that I can't see straight. I'm a volunteer with a shelter here.... we have so many animals who desperately need a loving home like Barbara's. We always pray that our 'residents' are truly going to kind and intelligent people and do our best to screen as much as possible... but we certainly do not make the entire adoption process an outright ordeal.

My thoughts and more prayers going out to all who are in the path of Charlie; I just received a "Breaking News" email from CNN minutes ago saying that this is now a Category 4 hurricane. Not what any of us wanted to hear!!

My best to everyone,

Claudia (who has managed to make one watch over the past five days... back still bothering me, darn it)

TheBlueBetween
08-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Hi there, Pam....

It is going on for three o'clock EDT; I don't know if you have received any word about the beloved Zoe yet, but I am praying for good news.

Hi Claudia - thank you :) The vet just called and Zoe has a damaged saliva gland and so it was not a tumor (phew) but a sack of skin/tissue filling up with saliva. There is no easy way to fix it however, so she's recommending we consult with a surgeon who may or may not have much to offer us. (Apparently this is pretty rare - she's only seen a few cases in her career so far and usually they are in a different location that causes breathing and eating difficulties.) We will wait and see how soon it fills up again to see if this is something she needs taken care of right away or if it's something slow where she can get it drained every time she gets her teeth cleaned or something. SO here I go, off to do my research and see if there is a holistic way to deal with this rather than major surgery.... or at least to try...

TheBlueBetween
08-13-2004, 03:53 PM
Oh boy, class 4 storm (145 mile an hour winds) and it's hitting Fort Meyers. Inlaws are next town over in Cape Coral. Their phone is out already.

Here is something that is going around the net right now - the birth of a humming bird - kinda neat - might take your mind off any worries for oh a minute or two...
http://community-2.webtv.net/hotmail.com/verle33/HummingBirdNest/index.html

LLane
08-13-2004, 04:32 PM
Hi all..... a quick hello...... and while I'm sure there are those still in the path of Charley..... good news for Key West (and my under renovation house) is that they got rain and wind but the hurricane stayed far enough away that it didn't cause much damage. I hope that those further up the west coast are evacuated! I leave Sunday to go down there, am sure things will still be a mess, but they usually get clean up done pretty quickly. This is a mostly work trip anyway!

So.... everyone have a great weekend....... hope to have time to stop by tomorrow and say hello.... but if not..... I'll be back online the end of next week.

Peace,
Lois

McDuck
08-13-2004, 04:41 PM
Pam - i hope there is good news for your precious baby dog. i know if it is out there you will find it!

Lois and all in the hurricanes path, i will pray when things are finally over that physical damage remains very low. isn't it humbling how we will never tame the weather?

I am back home from shopping with Daph. she found two shirts and a pair of showes for her new job. I am so glad! I am going to pack up the remainder of these things for the post office and get to the studio. I am missing it!

-Mary

beclectic
08-13-2004, 04:46 PM
Hi Claudia - thank you :) The vet just called and Zoe has a damaged saliva gland and so it was not a tumor (phew) but a sack of skin/tissue filling up with saliva. There is no easy way to fix it however, so she's recommending we consult with a surgeon who may or may not have much to offer us. (Apparently this is pretty rare - she's only seen a few cases in her career so far and usually they are in a different location that causes breathing and eating difficulties.) We will wait and see how soon it fills up again to see if this is something she needs taken care of right away or if it's something slow where she can get it drained every time she gets her teeth cleaned or something. SO here I go, off to do my research and see if there is a holistic way to deal with this rather than major surgery.... or at least to try...

I had a Golden that had a messed up saliva glad in her neck. I never knew why it happened, one day it was a little bump and then it grew. It filled up and became this huge bump. The vet said that he would have to lance it so it didn't burst. We scheduled the surgery, he lanced it, drained it and washed it with a caustic to kill the gland. Then he stitched it up and Heather never had one single problem with it ever again. I know it sounds awful but it solved the problem. I hope Zoe's saliva glad problem is as easily solved if you can't find some way to holistically cure it.

Nolly
08-13-2004, 04:47 PM
Hi, guys!

Mary, I would love to see your red hat bead ... I just made a couple and stuck them in the kiln ... if they survive, I'll post 'em.

Barbara, have you ever heard or read the poem about the lady who says that when she's old, she's going to wear purple clothes with a red hat that doesn't go, eat all the samples on the tray at the grocery, hit her walking stick against the parson's fence, and generally do all the things she kept her kids from doing. That's the foundation of the Red Hat Society, which you can find at www.redhatsociety.com.

Nolly

beclectic
08-13-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi, guys!

Mary, I would love to see your red hat bead ... I just made a couple and stuck them in the kiln ... if they survive, I'll post 'em.

Barbara, have you ever heard or read the poem about the lady who says that when she's old, she's going to wear purple clothes with a red hat that doesn't go, eat all the samples on the tray at the grocery, hit her walking stick against the parson's fence, and generally do all the things she kept her kids from doing. That's the foundation of the Red Hat Society, which you can find at www.redhatsociety.com.

Nolly

Thanks, great stuff. I particularly love the lady with the purple hat and the red dress. Looks like something I'd do. What do you mean purple and red don't go together? They look good to me. I'll read the poem later but it sounds a winner. :D

TheBlueBetween
08-13-2004, 04:50 PM
I had a Golden that had a messed up saliva glad in her neck. I never knew why it happened, one day it was a little bump and then it grew. It filled up and became this huge bump. The vet said that he would have to lance it so it didn't burst. We scheduled the surgery, he lanced it, drained it and washed it with a caustic to kill the gland. Then he stitched it up and Heather never had one single problem with it ever again. I know it sounds awful but it solved the problem. I hope Zoe's saliva glad problem is as easily solved if you can't find some way to holistically cure it.

That's encouraging Barbara! I'll have to aske about that. Seems the easiest solution - if it's an option.

Thanks,
Pam

beclectic
08-13-2004, 04:57 PM
That's encouraging Barbara! I'll have to aske about that. Seems the easiest solution - if it's an option.

Thanks,
Pam

He was a vet in the rural town I lived near. He treated all my horses, goats, cats, dogs and even a gunie pig once. People in the country don't want expensive, fancy solutions. They just want it better. I don't know if that treatment would still be considered acceptable. It worked great for my sweetest farm dog. What a doll she was. She lived to be 14 which is considered pretty old for a Golden.

TheBlueBetween
08-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Good news, family in Cape Coral Fl are fine - house next to them and house behind them lost their roofs and lots of trees and powerlines down of course but the worst is over for them. Hope folks north of them do ok as it passes through.

And Zoe is home and happy to be here. Our other dog is thrilled - she's been like a ghost dog all day - you wouldn't know she was here unless you tripped over her. She wouldn't even eat. She's smiling again and so is Luke. "Zoe home, Zoe home, Zoe home, hee haa hee hee haa" is his new song. :clap:

Virtual drinks all around - I'm off to have a glass of wine - what a day.

Pam

McDuck
08-13-2004, 08:17 PM
Pam - glad to hear is went well all around! :clap:

-Mary

Beads-Me!
08-14-2004, 12:07 AM
Geesh! Life is too busy when I can't get here until almost midnight!! :rolleyes: Pam - glad pooch and parents are okay! Lois - whew! I was sweating that out with you my friend... And waving hello to all the rest of you! Thanks for Jordan's birthday wishes - I think he had a good one. Although I hate the cool weather - it was probably Jordan's best gift. They closed the pool today and he was suppose to work! So he was elated to have the day to himself! Here's a picture of my shaggy haired birthday boy....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2004/14950-1111111111111JP17thBirthday.jpg