PDA

View Full Version : Three - WIP

Cheena K
08-13-2004, 03:03 AM
Hi! I hope you guys remember me...it's been ages since I last posted something...but I am back in action :)

Here's a WIP, from a photograph my hubby took sometime last month. Infact I painted a yellow lily a couple of weeks back :)

I need help with the water, infact with everything :D
should I use blues and green in the water coz the original is all brown and muddy...well lilies grow in that sort of an environment, so is it ok to make it look nice and fresh??

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2004/34120-purple_lilies.jpg

prestonsega
08-13-2004, 04:16 AM
As you are asking questions specific to the ref pic, it would be helpful to me if you posted it also.

Cheena K
08-13-2004, 04:49 AM
Hi! Here it is...

As you are asking questions specific to the ref pic, it would be helpful to me if you posted it also.

prestonsega
08-13-2004, 05:00 AM
Hi! Here it is...
Cheena...I don't see muddy water,,I see clear water that allows one to see through to the dark depths, Below the surface of the water are many (dark) colorful items, such as stems, vines, This is a great photo your husband took and while you are not a slave to the ref pic, I wouldn't add an imagined reflected blue sky in leu of the beautiful colorful darks that are present.

chookbrown
08-13-2004, 07:53 AM
This is looking good, will be watching it progress. :D:D

Colleen

aurora70
08-13-2004, 07:56 AM
I have to agree with Preston..there are way too many wonderful things going on underneath that clear water...maybe instead of browns...you could use dark greens and such...that might help maintain a "fresh" look.

Monica

Cheena K
08-13-2004, 08:24 AM
Yes, I will use greens rather than the browns and ofcourse I too agree with Preston. All the stems and the vines under and above the water will make it look vibrant. I hope I'll be able to do justice to the painting :)

Look out for the updates tomorrow!!!

Thanks!

Cheena K
08-18-2004, 03:34 AM
Hi Guys!
I am back :)

It's almost done, some work on the water plus some finishing touches...I can say I am happy with this piece :)

Need to fix the "middle" lily, the petals on the right side look out of place...
I feel I should have left more space on top, there is slightly more there than is in the image though, but wish I could stretch the sheet a bit...I hope it's not looking cramped??

How can I improve? Pl. tell me...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2004/34120-water_lilies.jpg

bnoonan
08-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Cheena - this is wonderful and tell your hubbie he did a magnificent job on the photograph as well. I love the colors and soft hues you've chosen and I have to tell you - WOW HAVE YOU IMPROVED IN THE SHORT TIME YOU'VE BEEN PAINTING AND POSTING HERE!!!! Congratulations!!!

All I did to this wonderful painting was put it in photoshop and hit "auto correct" - it seems to have increased the contrast. Just a thought - but it may be helpful. Oh it may mean mellowing out those red roots under the water a bit however.

Excellent work!!!!! :clap:
Barb

prestonsega
08-18-2004, 11:56 AM
........wish I could stretch the sheet a bit...I hope it's not looking cramped??

I do not think this is cramped at all...quite the contrary. This tight crop is perfect.

Khadres
08-18-2004, 12:49 PM
I love it! You've done an excellent job so far! Now all you have to do is add a few, select, highlights (but NOT in white probably). Some water ripplies maybe, some definition of the lily pad surface texture maybe....not much....you're VERY close to perfection! :clap:

bogbeast
08-18-2004, 12:55 PM
Cheena, this is great! I would a gree that a little softening of the stems/roots color once they go under water will help, and a hint of reflection will clarify exactly where the water is

Cheena K
08-19-2004, 03:01 AM
Thanks a ton!!! I love your work Barb, and I always derive inspiration from it!
Your words mean the world to me, thanks!! I am so grateful to the "internet" and to having found you people. It has given a new meaning to my life. I always look forward to logging in to the WC website everyday and relish all the wonderful stuff that's on it!

I'll mellow down the roots and add some reflections and ripples. Thank you preston, bogbeast, Khadres, I thank you all for my progress :clap: :clap:

dragonlady
08-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Cheena, this is terrific. It really glows with light. I've been painting water lilies for this week's WDE and I know they're not easy to get right. Well done. :clap:

bnoonan
08-19-2004, 09:10 PM
It's a pleasure Cheena - you really do grow with every post.

Barb

Cheena K
08-20-2004, 02:29 AM
Thanks!! Can you forward the link to the WDE thread, I would like to try some more lilies :)

Cheena, this is terrific. It really glows with light. I've been painting water lilies for this week's WDE and I know they're not easy to get right. Well done. :clap:

dragonlady
08-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Thanks!! Can you forward the link to the WDE thread, I would like to try some more lilies :)

This is the link to the WDE images.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209161

I also used some of my own photos, I've added these to the RIL, they may be useful for you.