PDA

View Full Version : Little swimmer

roger41
08-13-2004, 12:35 AM
Hey guys,
Thought that Iwould post this. Its of my youngest son learning to swim. I drew it from a series of sketches. Its pencil on bristol board 19"x24"...thanks for looking and any comments :)

Roger

designbyjen
08-13-2004, 08:48 AM
just wonderful! for the size, this one has got to be fabulous on a wall. ;)
very nice attn. to detail.
~~~jen

AFM159
08-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Cool - I like the beads of water on his face and the wet hair.

Kathryn Wilson
08-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Very nice! I almost touched my screen to see if it was as wet as it looks - excellent pencil work - :D

LarrySeiler
08-16-2004, 01:54 PM
great rendering and value work here Roger...

you asked for comments ...and mine would be to make better uses of your edges.

Where contours go back into space...its important to obscure and soften edges.

An edge is a detail, and in 2-D work translates to giving the viewer information on atmospheric depth or perspective. A detail up close and personal becomes less and less detectable going back into distance.

Seeing creases in the palm of my hand three feet away, totally disappears to only seeing the value and color of the hand 100 yards away.

An edge that remains sharp in the distance gives information logically that all other detail closer to the viewer should be that much greater by comparison.

Looking at the edges of the ears going back into space...such crisp clarity there gives the portrait the impression of being somewhat of a decal...a pasted in look. See what I'm talking about???

Edges are also competitive. They are so by means of contrast, for an edge to appear sharp it must do so against something that would cause that edge to be seen.

By competitive then...I mean it calls attention to itself, and perhaps from where you want the viewer's eye to most be drawn to. So, for example if you wish the viewer's eye to be drawn to the eyes of your portrait again and again...you intend to downplay all that which would call attention to itself.

By softening edges going back and strengthening the eyes...you are giving a greater visual voice to the eyes, making them more powerful.

hope that helps...

peace

Larry

roger41
08-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Thanks all for your comments,

Larry........thanks for the advice on softening the edges...now that Iv'e studied the drawing I see what you are talking about. I'll remember that in my future drawings....... and work on this one some more. I like to get advice......... that makes me better and my art better............. thanks again all :D :D

TedDawson
08-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Wow. This is the kind of picture I look at and think, I hate you. The features on the face are just perfect. Kid's faces are the toughest. And it even looks wet. Can you imagine having a pic like this of yourself from that age? This'll be one of those prized possessions he has when he gets older. Unless you really tick him off when he's a teenager, but...