PDA

View Full Version : why can't we do the TOPP images in SOFT PASTELS?

Deborah Secor
08-12-2004, 08:57 PM
I thought, why not? So I did one...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2004/23609-TOPPlandscape.jpg

Maybe you want to, too! If so, post 'em here.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, go to the Oil Pastel Studio to see the TOPP thread. There is some really nice work there.

But I like soft pastels, so.... I'd love to see what you do!

Deborah

SweetBabyJ
08-12-2004, 09:00 PM
We can- I guess I just figured that's kinda what the weekly sketch thread was anyway.

Nice colours there, Deborah- looks bright and warm.

Deborah Secor
08-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Well, that's true, Julie! And if you don't have the TOPP images already you can't really do much here...so I think the sketch thread will be a lot more interesting, don't you? But I figured a couple of folks snagged the TOPP photos, so why not? ;)

Which reminds me, I have one for the sketch thread--better go photograph it! Thanks for the reminder... :)

Deborah

SweetBabyJ
08-12-2004, 09:06 PM
*shrug* Combine 'em- have someone post photos in the weekly sketch thread, and folks can try those, or one of their own.

Kinda a potluck Weekly-sketch-thread-pastel-riot-topp deal.

Deborah Secor
08-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Hmmmm, I like it... the Pastel Potluck? Do what you want--here are some pictures--share anything...? I think that's a great idea.... um, where is Preston? They do a lotta potlucks in the south, don't they?

Deborah

judwal
08-12-2004, 09:16 PM
I thought I'd join in but the images are gone now. boo hoo! Maybe we softies could have our own TOPP?

Deborah Secor
08-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Well, maybe so, Judy. It looks like some fun, if folks want to try it. Then again, maybe just keeping things in the sketch thread for now is a better idea. Let's see what others think...

Deborah

stonewhiteclown
08-12-2004, 10:02 PM
Found some, didn't find landscape and horsey pictures. Ask Kyle if you wish.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=22953&sort=1&cat=all&page=1
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=29427&sort=1&cat=all&page=1
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=23008&sort=1&cat=all&page=1
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=29190&sort=1&cat=all&page=1

Dyin
08-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Hey, Deborah...nice to see how that landscape should look! TOPP is nothing like a weekly sketch thread...we get the refs the night before and then we paint the whole next day and we've been having a blast doing them. We only have it twice a month. I know Barb was wanting to do this and Libby too...would love to see if those softies are as much fun as the oilies :D
You got that golden glow just perfectly! :clap:

Deborah Secor
08-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Sue, maybe we need to make it a TOPP TSPP challenge! :cool: We could download and paint, just post them to a sister thread in SPs maybe. I dunno... guess if others are interested, we'll see.

I think it would be fun!

Deborah

Dyin
08-12-2004, 10:36 PM
It could be fun, this was Carly's brainchild and will have to wait and see what she thinks too. But we could trade off one time in SP one time in OP...we don't interact as much as we used to and kind of miss you all. :)
It's just nice to have something where you have the whole day to paint one thing...and it runs through the whole week for those that can't make it that day, though it's kind of fun that the images are only there one night, (ya snooze ya lose) :D

Kathryn Wilson
08-12-2004, 10:49 PM
We can always have a Pastel Challenge once a month and put it into the Pastel Talk forum - that way someone from each forum could alternate and post images and we could all gather together at the end of the challenge to compare. LOL - I can do both!!

Nice job on the landscape dee -

I still have the images if anyone is interested.

Khadres
08-13-2004, 12:31 AM
I kinda like the Soft Pastel Potluck Party (SPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!) Everyone could bring an image they like and post it for others to use if they wish. I do like the idea of having a whole day to work on it instead of just a couple hours like the WDE. No real reason to delete the images, tho. Just have a new thread each week for those who want to try it. I know it would be a good kick start for me sometimes when I can't decide what to tackle next. And of course, the oilies could take part...I kinda think it's weird we got separated anyway except for specific oilies and softies issues like techniques, etc. Art's art as far as I'm concerned.

judwal
08-13-2004, 07:07 AM
I like Kat's suggestion of the pastel challenge once a month and to post it in pastel talk.

Kathryn Wilson
08-13-2004, 07:31 AM
I like Sooz' idea of a Potluck Pastel Challenge - but if everyone brought an image, it would really load the system down.

Let me talk to dee and Carly and see what we can come up with - :D

bnoonan
08-13-2004, 11:00 AM
I had hoped to jump into the arena and actually downloaded the fall scene but you can see how far I got.

What appealled to me most about this was the fact that I only had a day to work on it - somehow knowing it was a one day project felt more "do-able" like the WDE - instead of an unlimited time to get the work done.

Whatever is decided I'm game - when I have time, but truthfully that may not be as often as I'd like. I like the idea of jumping in when I can crash the TOPP.

B :evil: :angel: :)

CarlyHardy
08-13-2004, 07:19 PM
TOPP was developed to challenge those of us who take so long with the oilies to get outta that habit :D. Knowing that the images will only be there for so long is very motivating :D and sharing all the work in a day or two keeps the interest going....and,

there is no reason that anyone who wants to grab an image and use Soft Pastels to create their painting shouldn't do so. I would ask that the images be posted in one thread in the Soft Pastel Studio because they have TOPP in common and sharing with one another will be more fun.

If enough folks want to do TOPP in both mediums we can post it in both studios next time :)

I love the idea of a Pastel Potluck in the Talk forum....sounds like a lot of fun and it would be great to see how both mediums can be used....and you're right about the South....we have a lot of potluck dinners :D And you can always be sure that there will be plenty of fried chicken, slaw, and potato salad for everyone!!
carly

Deborah Secor
08-13-2004, 11:48 PM
So, how many of you might want to try the next TOPP? I'd be happy to post a thread here so we can all share them. Barb? You game, sometimes? How about others?

Yum--I lived in the south for about a minute and loved the food! It's where I learned what pecan pie was--not something I ever had growing up, until I was living in Mississippi. I thought, yick--nuts in a pie? Boy, was I wrong! Okay, enough about food... I should be dieting...

Deborah

judwal
08-14-2004, 06:50 AM
Pecan pie..my favorite. Especially with a hunk of ice cream on top! And I'm not from the south.

Back to the subject... :) Yes..I would like to do that TOPP challenge. Sounds like fun!

Khadres
08-14-2004, 01:04 PM
Anything y'all dream up is fine with me! :clap:

Deborah Secor
08-14-2004, 01:47 PM
I'm in, too! Let Carly and Kat and I put our heads together and we'll let you know what's up! This will be fun...

Deborah

bogbeast
08-14-2004, 09:15 PM
I definitely like the ide a of a pastel potluck--post a couple images, everyone do a different version....and doing it on a particular day does help motivate a person, something I need to get off my b**t sometimes!

I greatly miss the feedback of the whole group--what about having the individual softie/oilie forums for technical issues, like dyin's classes, framing, grounds, etc., and put the pictures for comments, weekly sketch threads, mopps and topps and riots and all that in an overall pastel painting forum?

Khadres
08-15-2004, 10:05 AM
That makes sense to me, Libby. I admit...I don't usually have time to do the oil pastels sub section separately and since I'm not actively doing any right now, I'm apt to skip it, but I do miss seeing their work along with the softies. In effect, I THINK we're all trying to do the same thing...make neat paintings...even if the handling techniques are so different. The split seems more divisive to me than anything; I can see each type needs a space to discuss their particular and separate issues, but there's plenty to be learned from both in the final analysis.

Dyin
08-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Not that we don't love you softies and learn a lot from your work, but if you'll notice, the main softie thread page is already losing Friday's response postings. When OPs are added to the mix they slip off the page fairly quickly, they get lost in the shuffle and get less response. Having a seperate place for the oilies is encouraging a lot of lurkers to come out and join in and maybe lots of you don't realise it, but out there in the big world oilies don't get a lot of play, they're not even allowed in pastel competitions. There are an awful lot of books on soft pastel techniques, but only two on oil pastels and one is out of print. I've googled til my eyes crossed and WC is the only place where all of the information is in one place and easy to find, and having a seperate sub-forum for oilies has really been something for us to treasure.
I think having a thread that allows us to play together would be great and enjoyable for both forums but hope ya'll will understand that our little studio is important to us, both for technical information and finding oil pastel work quickly and easily. :)

Deborah Secor
08-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Sue, thanks for so clearly explaining why the OP studio is so important to you. It's kinda hard for us over here in softies to see that without your insight! But it makes sense and I, for one, am so glad to see the explosion of interest in OPs over there! The excitement and energy is wonderful.

Maybe we need to 'cross-pollinate' the way this thread has. If we do the TOPP images in a thread here in the SP studio, we might all take more time to look at the sister thread in the other studio, don't you think?

The other idea is that the Pastel Potluck coud be a in the Talk forum, so we could all work together. Am I wrong in thinking that people from both studios spend time looking at Talk threads? If not, maybe a Potluck would encourage that... I think that's what Carly meant--a place where we might have images to challenge us and see both mediums in use. We can throw in a little of the WDE images, a pinch of TOPP and ESP stuff, a dab of our own new things--just whatever is in the fridge and needs to be out in the light of day simmering together. Whaddaya think?

Deborah

Dyin
08-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Yeah...having sister threads for the TOPP would be fun and I think it wouldn't take that much effort for us all to check out both threads, we have had a pure blast doing the TOPP and it's really been super for creativity or working on unfamiliar subjects. And I really would like some of the newbies to see more soft pastel work, like Sooz said, there's a lot to be learned from you all. :)
And the potluck does sound fun as we could post together. I know the sketch thread is there for both mediums, but many of us oilies aren't as quick as you softies, so we don't post there often.
It's more work for you guides and Carly to come up with this stuff I know, but we all super appreciate all you do to keep the Pastel Forum going...we may be oilies and softies but we are all pastellists and pastels RULE! :D

Deborah Secor
08-15-2004, 12:52 PM
I just now noticed that Carly has posted a new(ish) thread that's stickied to the top in the Pastel Talk forum devoted to all the various projects, called Pastel Events (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209382)! Check it out. This gal is keeping us so organized!

Deborah

stonewhiteclown
08-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Sue, thanks for so clearly explaining why the OP studio is so important to you. It's kinda hard for us over here in softies to see that without your insight!
I'd second what Sue have said. Steady community expansion adds another plus in favor of having two studios.

Maybe we need to 'cross-pollinate' the way this thread has. If we do the TOPP images in a thread here in the SP studio, we might all take more time to look at the sister thread in the other studio, don't you think?
I see much benefit in this approach! Easy to see, this TOPP we have eight page long thread, and it's oilies only! Proportions may be frightening considering you softies are frantic ones :) On the other hand, different rednitions in two mediums is what we all eager to see.

The other idea is that the Pastel Potluck coud be a in the Talk forum, so we could all work together.
I cannot get a point which way this would differ from Pastel Riot?