PDA

View Full Version : My technique for vegetation

Tom Christopher
08-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Hello artists,
I have been asked to demonstrate the process I have developed to paint trees and leafy vegetation. I am hopeful the photos I have taken will be helpful.
photo1. I start out with a deep blue to working from background to foreground. This is also to layout the composition and determines the light direction.
photo 2. I add the next color, a dark green. The squiggly marks I use for the vegetation developed over time . I vary the pressure of the pastel and hold it very loose in the fingers.
photo 3. I continue to apply lighter greens and some yellow where the sun will shine on the trees.
The last photo show the process toward the final stage. The details and final shaping of the trees is the final stage. If I am not satisfied with the results I will go thru the steps again until the piece is complete.
Hopes this helps
Thank you Tom

binkie
08-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Thanks for sharing with us, Tom! It's a great demonstration!!

gwen

Deborah Secor
08-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Wow, Tom, this is great! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Deborah

chookbrown
08-12-2004, 10:49 PM
Thank you Tom!! Very effective!!

Colleen :D:D :clap:

stonewhiteclown
08-12-2004, 10:49 PM
Very helpful demo, thank you Tom!
May I ask what is the colour for swatch #5?

Tom Christopher
08-12-2004, 11:01 PM
Very helpful demo, thank you Tom!
May I ask what is the colour for swatch #5?

it's actually a charcoal stick--I know your not suppose to use black-
but I always have
tom

Dyin
08-12-2004, 11:10 PM
thanks Tom...this is really nice to see all laid out like this!

stonewhiteclown
08-12-2004, 11:15 PM
it's actually a charcoal stick--I know your not suppose to use black-
but I always have
tom

Oh, that wretched idea of never using black until late stood in my way in sense of achieving any sort of contrast with my oil pastels. But I became much happier as soon as dumped it.

Khadres
08-13-2004, 12:10 AM
Great demo! Thanks for taking the time!

lawsportraits
08-13-2004, 08:48 AM
Thank you so much for doing this Tom. You've simplified things and made it look so easy. :D Only seven colours, cool! I always grab too many colours, get bogged down and end up losing the form.

Thank you again for taking the time to do this. :D

Heather

binkie
08-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Hi Chris,

Dropped back in to rate this thread. It is so great to be able to learn from all the wonderful demonstrationsm and yours is very helpful!

gwen

SweetBabyJ
08-14-2004, 04:35 PM
I rated it, too- although I'm not certain the bane of my existence (landscapes) can be helped by it much- the technique is very clear and understandable- the reality is, I want to paint TREES- individual TREES- just like I see 'em. Prolly a practice thing, eh, she said mournfully.... Great- just when I was on a roll....

Thank you, Tom, appreciate you taking the time, and I'll give it a try. Sometime. Soon. Promise.... :D

Artaholic
08-15-2004, 12:06 AM
tom , thank you I am going to try a plant sort of a palm thingy k so I know your demo will help :)

Dark_Shades
08-15-2004, 04:13 AM
Hi Tom, thanks so much for doing this, as you know its a subject I struggle with..... and this is so helpful..... the last time I painted anything was weeks and weeks ago, but it was some autumn trees..... what I found out now, was it wasnt so much the colours to use, but the choice of strokes..... so if you are ever in a mind or have time to share those with us to....... or more should I say ME :D ;) hint hint ......... you've already helped me so much already

Many thanks

meowmeow
08-15-2004, 09:32 AM
Thanks for taking the time to share this with us, Tom. REally interesting to see how other people do this...very helpful. Thanks!

Sandy

Kathryn Wilson
08-15-2004, 04:48 PM
Just in time - now I can see what I am doing wrong all the time! I just don't get trees! I see the strokes you are using - very random back and forth - correct?

This is invaluable information - glad everyone rated it!

Tom Christopher
08-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Just in time - now I can see what I am doing wrong all the time! I just don't get trees! I see the strokes you are using - very random back and forth - correct?

This is invaluable information - glad everyone rated it!

Hello Kat- your right- I have just held on to the same pastel stroke and repeated it over and over. I have tried various ways to manipuate the pastel such as dots, circles. dash marks etc. All have interesting results what ever you are comfortable with. The results IMO come from repeating the same application layer upon layer.. Tom

bogbeast
08-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Great demo--thank you!

Next question--how do you handle distant trees, like th hillside in back of these? where the individual trees are not distinct, yet some degree of mottleing of color and shape are there (she asks, with this week's WDE awaiting the answer!)

Tom Christopher
08-15-2004, 09:29 PM
Great demo--thank you!

Next question--how do you handle distant trees, like th hillside in back of these? where the individual trees are not distinct, yet some degree of mottleing of color and shape are there (she asks, with this week's WDE awaiting the answer!)

I continue using the same painting style only not as tight a stroke. The distant vegetation is usually lighter in value and much less detailed. I started another river pastel this evening. This should help illustrate the process I use . I have just started to fill in the background--Hopes this answers your question.
Thank You Tom

khourianya
08-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Thank you so much for the demo. I am just starting out and am sure this will be very helpful as I work on my landscapes!

pierak
08-17-2004, 01:22 PM
Hi,
I am new at pastels and your demonstration is wonderful, and will help me so much! I paint mostly wildlife, and doing decent habitats and backgrounds is my worst weakness; but your technique is so clear and straightforward, I am going to try it in my next project.
Thanks for sharing!
Piera

wspe
08-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Thank You for this... It simplifies things and works very well for me.
I always overwork things and this helped me immensely.

Finnegan18
07-15-2009, 09:31 AM
What a great and useful demonstration.

bchlvr
07-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the demo! Very imformative!

PETE K
07-17-2009, 11:59 PM
Tom, thank you this i think will be a big help to me and also others. well Tom I pretty much see what you mean i just spent about 20 to 25 min trying what you showed here in your demo. it came out aha not to bad kind of got the point across of the trees and the background, than i used the water just to fill in the paper. it came out ok. maybe if i spent more time i would have go a better result. going to try it again tomarrow. would you do bushes the same way? what about grasses? or am i asking to much on this one. thanks one heck of a lot, again Tom. I sure learned something.