PDA

View Full Version : S&T Friday, the 13th

Andee
08-12-2004, 06:04 PM
Hiya!

Soz, AGAIN I only finished my stuff shortly before midnight, so... :D

Gemstones for a change: Turquoise, freshwater pearls and silver for the first necklace and the earrings (tho I'm not really sure the two disks in the earrings really are turquoise. Maybe coloured howlite...?). Labradorite and silver for the other necklace. Labradorite is my fave gemstone, I find its shimmer absolutely mesmerizing... So, there was no holding me back when I saw this strand of beads yesterday!

I'm off to bed now, wishing you all a good night and sweet dreams!

beclectic
08-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Very lovely. The laborite is especially good quality and I like the simple design, it really shows off the stone.

I really like the simple headpin earwires. What a good idea.

TheBlueBetween
08-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Beautiful Andee - You can put pearls with anything and make them look wonderful can't you?!

Here is my ... uhum... bangle. I'm not proud of it - these are the only beads I had that would fit on the 12 gage wire! I have so much more appreciation for all you bangle makers - I think I actually broke a sweat making this thing... my cutters don't cut 12 gage for one thing... but then maybe it was dropping half the beads 3x while trying to form it around my wrist that got me. I'm also not sure how much you are supposed to harden the mandrel? I only had a leather hammer, not a plastic one and was afraid I'd flatten the wire rather than harden it, so it's not *very* hard. And dang it's hard to find beads with big holes! I'm not sure I'll make another any time soon, and I'm pretty sure these stones are begging to be in a necklace, so this one might not be around long either.

Steph'sBeadCorner
08-13-2004, 07:05 AM
Love the turquoise and pearls, very elegant, but you could also go casual and I love that cross over. And I love that Labradorite too!! I don't know that I've ever seen it before, you're right has lots of shimmer.

You did a great job on the bangle. I know some people harden their silver by using a tumbler.. I just bought one at Harbor Freight for $29.00... (double barrel), the single is $25.00 - then there's the steel shot.

Here's another Tiger Theme for the MU tigers - and football season is just about to start, it's going to be an exciting year!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2004/34343-tigerb.jpg

I've been working on my photography, so will post a picture of some beads by Lezlie Ballenger, in "before" and "after" pictures. I'm so glad my pictures are finally something to look at!!

#1) Picture taken a several months ago.
#2) Picture taken 2 days ago, after learning how to set up a photo box, lights, tripod, setting aperature levels, white balance and EV settings.. whew!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2004/34343-34343-groovybeadsno_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2004/34343-grvybeads.jpg

have a great day!

Steph

beclectic
08-13-2004, 07:51 AM
Pam, nice bangle but you're right it doesn't have your usual impact. I think it needs your beads instead of those beads. Can't you make some on a larger mandral to fit the 12g wire? As for hardening tumbling would probably have given you the results you are looking for.

Steph, wow what a difference those good quality photographs make. I am really impressed. Both bracelets are very nice. Is the tiger one for you or are you going to sell it to a fan when she mentions how perfect it is for wearing to a game? I like the two strand bracelet a lot. I like the colors and the different elements that all work together. There is just plenty to look at and enjoy.

Oskadis
08-13-2004, 07:58 AM
Very elegant Andee!

Wow... what a difference. Beautiful bracelets!

This should give me the clue about getting a better camera ... and setting up a box too.
Hmm... Thx for the insight.

gwacie
08-13-2004, 08:19 AM
I love this forum. The S&Ts are always so inspiring.

Steph'sBeadCorner
08-13-2004, 08:21 AM
thanks so much for the compliments. I'll wear the bracelet until someone "wants" it. Then it's theirs, I'll make another, BETTER one. :D

1) The "photo box" is a sterilite 20qt tub I bought at Wal-mart $4.00??
2) two clip-on desk lamps (that ask for 60W - but I bought the energy efficient ones)
3) soft white 100 energy saver bulbs (that claim they are 25W that have 100W output) - which seems to be fine.
4) If you're comera has a macro setting, you should be fine. Also look for aperature and white balance.

Yes, it makes a huge difference, I've used that camera for about 4 yrs, never knew how to adjust it... do I feel like an idiot!!.. but a really happy one right now. :D

Steph

gwacie
08-13-2004, 08:31 AM
HUGE difference Steph. Be proud!

CarlaAlexander
08-13-2004, 08:58 AM
Here are my fun toys for the day. I am STUCK on Peruvian opals right now. The pink is a cab that my dad made for me and I wire wrapped. The blue has one of my lampwork beads as a focal.

Andee
08-13-2004, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the nice words, y'all! :)

Pam - that bangle doesn't look that bad, actually I like it a lot! Maybe a tad of colour at each side would do the trick? And ta - yup, I love working with pearls, somehow they just call out to me! :)

Steph - gorgeous bracelets! But OMG what a lot to consider for taking a photo - I usually just point and click! :D

Bethany - thud thud thud, that bangle is adorable!! And what a beautiful centerpiece!!

Carla - lovely pieces, I admire your and Bethany's wirewrapping skills!

I just finished two more pieces (and it's even long before midnight! ;) ). Pearls (again! ;) ), ss and quartzy facetted gemstones in a lovely seafoam green.

BBsBaubles
08-13-2004, 09:22 AM
Great work everone! There's to much to mention, but I will say I'm very impressed with what has been posted so far today! :clap:

Bethany, your ring is so cool! It really caught my eye.

Here's my posting for today. The crisp night air had me bring out the black. Lampwork by WC's GinaJ.

McDuck
08-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Andee - I LOVE that turquois necklace and the facetted quartz below. I also agree they are very nice for a more formal setting or a romp in the blue jeans!

Pam - I happen to like that bangle alot! Great work for your first time. And you can make about any bead a banlge bead by using your dremel and a diamond tip to enlarge it. That is what I do!

Steph - you go to mizzou? I am a grad of Univ of Mo St loius. A smaller division. LOL My best friends son Brendon is on the football team, he is a softmore this year, last year he kept the bench nice and warm. if you are in school go look this boy up, I am telling you if I was 20 years younger I would be after him too! he is one FINE looking boy! I love the bracelets!

Bethany - what a beautiful ring! what is the stone please?

Carla, dont you love peruvian opals? They are beautifully done!

Beth - those beads work well together and belive you me I can feel the CRISP night air too!

I made a quick shot box, i bought a flexible white light cover for those fluorescent lights. use fishing line to make a half cirlce, set it on large sheets of colored paper from hobby looby in shades of grey, have two lights i bought froma neighbors garage sale, that were new, just need to get bulbs for it and take the large one si bought at the menards back as they are too bright! hehe. Still working it all out but it goes up fast and stores easily too for those of you with cramped quarters.

-mary

gwacie
08-13-2004, 09:43 AM
um, er...thanks? It's a bracelet (bangle) though, not a ring. Guess I shoulda said that. "stone" is a glass cabachon I made from a lampwork bead.

Steph'sBeadCorner
08-13-2004, 09:57 AM
um, er...thanks? It's a bracelet (bangle) though, not a ring. Guess I shoulda said that. "stone" is a glass cabachon I made from a lampwork bead.

WOW! I love the bangle, love the design, just wonderfully elegant.

Steph
great photo too!

TheBlueBetween
08-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Wow everyone!!! Beautiful work AGAIN today :) And the diff in those photos is amazing. Just the kick I need to get out and make my photo box.

Thanks for all the kind words on my bangle - yes it definitely needs some color on the sides - I just couldn't find anything that would fit - I think that might have saved it. MAYBE I'll try one again someday with some of my glass beads. Maybe ;)

somk
08-13-2004, 12:31 PM
Beads and cuties galore :) great job, all !

Steph> Excellent picts of adorable yummy bracelets !
Bethany> it is funny how this glass cab has a "Maw SitSit" stone feeling to it.. I dig :)
~So

MadameKali
08-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Wow, you guys are so productive :) I'd love to have that kind of drive, lol. And talented, on top of it!

I don't have anything new to share yet, but I did get a nice little dose of inspiration yesterday with one of the clasps I got from Mary. When I first looked at it, I thought it looked like leaves... I see now that they're flowers, but the leafy shapes stayed with me, so I decided to do an autumnal thing with them. We had good tips this week, so I bought TONS of beads--I think I'm supporting the carnelian industry single-handedly lately--and I took a picture for pre-work posterity. hehe.

PS--the thing they're laying on is a self-portrait.. it was the only grey I had handy! lol

DonnaBee
08-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Very beautiful today, everyone!!!!

somk
08-13-2004, 07:34 PM
Somehow, I knew something was going to turn sour with my casting but I didn't see it coming from this way :D .. ahem.. Well, I'll have to cast another wing, I guess.
The first links are ok as are the "algae" for the Dagon necklace... Next casting on monday, I know where I'll spend my week-end :music:

Links to Dagon Necklace http://www.furetfou.com/wip/lovecraft/neck-dagon.jpg
Algae http://www.furetfou.com/wip/lovecraft/algaecast.jpg
and.. a shoggoth :) http://www.furetfou.com/wip/lovecraft/shoggothwaxhand.jpg

lizo
08-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Very Cool!! I like the Shoggoth too!

Are you using silver to cast?

Liz

somk
08-13-2004, 09:50 PM
thanks :) the shoggoth is a dream to make, I even pray to have bubles during the casting *lol*
Yes, I cast in SS 925 and Brass/Bronze.. I'll look into copper because Mary shows us so many beautiful findings, I'd like to give it a try.