PDA

View Full Version : white powder from bead

Prudence
08-12-2004, 06:00 PM
I bought a beautiful bead for a focal and paired it with copper beads and it looked great. Then I noticed that there's a white powder coming from the inside of the focal bead and coating the copper. I don't know if this is a ceramic bead or clay (I'm new to beaded jewelry) but the inside of the bead is white with a hard glaze on the outside. Is there some way to stop this powder? Thanks.
Just heard the weather about hurricane Charley, please keep safe all in his path. Prudence

tamjai
08-12-2004, 06:39 PM
prudence - ceramic and clay kinda mean the same thing in laymans terms - the powder is probably kiln wash that coated the rod it was fired on to prevent the glaze sticking. you see the same thing in glass beads that haven't been cleaned-or inexpensive beads from india(don't try to clean those they are most likely to break) if you have a pearl reamer, hold the bead under running water and 'scrub' as if trying to make the hole bigger until the inside looks good - having that white stuff on your shirt is no fun - i clean all my beads after they are annealed with my dremel :D
tam

beclectic
08-12-2004, 07:24 PM
I clean beads from India all the time and they don't break. I use a pearl reamer and clean by hand but a real pipe cleaner with a few metal wiskers works well too. I soak the beads in soapy water and then clean the holes out. I have had the occasional ones break but I think they were cracked already and would have broken when used.

Never push the reamer in until it is tight and never screw it tighter if it gets tight. You can unscrew it to loosen it though. I hope that makes sense.