PDA

View Full Version : Need A New Cutter

MM Art Glass
08-12-2004, 05:47 PM
I need a new cutter really badly. :rolleyes: I currently have a PLATO model 170 shears which is pretty new and fine for cutting Soft Flex (.019 diameter) as long as I can cut near the middle of the shearing blade. When I use it to try and cut the tails off my strung jewelry (after crimping) and want to cut as close to the bead as possible so the tail won't show, this cutter just won't cut near its tip. I end up having to cut with its middle, therefore cutting farther out on the tail than I want, and it then shows a little on the finished piece.

Is this making any sense at all? LOL!

Beads-Me!
08-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Yes you're making sense! ;) But I'm not sure why they're not cutting near the tip.... Hopefully someone will have an answer for you!!

Barrie
08-12-2004, 11:15 PM
I have an amazing pair of xuron cutters, absolutely LOVE them! Bought my first pair second hand at a flea market, and used them for two years before I found a brand new pair up here. I like the nice finer point (surely not the finest, but great for getting close to beads and stuff), and they never seem to get dull. LOVE them!!!! And I've seen a few pairs on Ebay, just never followed through on that. Check them out here (http://www.xuron.com/consumer/shears.htm) .

Gingerbiscuit
08-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Softflex's cutters are pricey, but oh so fabulous! I got mine at a show, and they did have a show special on them. $10 off, I think.

MM Art Glass
08-16-2004, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the info, everyone! I will definitely do some research! :D

beclectic
08-16-2004, 12:20 AM
I have some cheapo ones I got at Michael's. They were in the craft wire section. They do a great job on cutting copper and beading cable. They have the tapered tip and thin blades that let you get close to the crimp. Haven't tried them on silver yet. I usually used diagonal cutters on silver.

I'm sure the others everyone has mentioned are great. Those xuron cutters look like something I'd like to have. Of course I'm a tool magpie just like I'm a bead magpie so I want a better cutter. :D

Barrie
08-16-2004, 02:11 AM
Walmart carries Fiskar's brand of cutters (I can't remember if it's in the craft section or the fabric section). But as long as the wire is thinner than 14 ga, these are pretty good. They have a fabulous point to them.

Bangs
08-16-2004, 10:00 AM
The Xuron line is nice, and not too expensive, either. I've just ordered a couple of different models, since all of mine were elderly.

I also have the most wonderful pair of Excelta narrow headed, angulated tip cutters I use for fine wire where you want to get really close, such as when finishing the coil on headpins. They are now too expensive for me to replace, but perhaps one of these days I'll find some place to sharpen them.

GardensOnGlass
08-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Brenda, ask your hairdresser who sharpens her scissors. Here at least, someone goes around to the hair salons, collects the scissors & returns them once sharpened. The person my girlfriend uses has been sharpening her scissors for years & as you may know, hairdresser's scissors are extremely expensive and very, very sharp. It's how I used to get my manicure scissors and nippers sharpened when I did nails years ago.

Gingerbiscuit
08-16-2004, 10:31 AM
Brenda, ask your hairdresser who sharpens her scissors. Here at least, someone goes around to the hair salons, collects the scissors & returns them once sharpened. The person my girlfriend uses has been sharpening her scissors for years & as you may know, hairdresser's scissors are extremely expensive and very, very sharp. It's how I used to get my manicure scissors and nippers sharpened when I did nails years ago.

What a great idea! Thanks! :)

Bangs
08-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Lori! Thanks for the idea. My hairdresser is a peach and would be happy to help me, I'm sure :)

MM Art Glass
08-27-2004, 07:56 PM
I just wanted to update everyone: I took the plunge and ordered the Soft Flex cutters (the less expensive ones) because I figured that I had ALREADY spent that much trying to find ones that would cut right at the tip! (Don't ask me how that justifies spending the same amount again... I purposefully don't think that far.) I used them for the first time tonight, and they're wonderful!!!

I think that this problem has been solved! :D

Gingerbiscuit
08-28-2004, 07:12 AM
I just wanted to update everyone: I took the plunge and ordered the Soft Flex cutters (the less expensive ones) because I figured that I had ALREADY spent that much trying to find ones that would cut right at the tip! (Don't ask me how that justifies spending the same amount again... I purposefully don't think that far.) I used them for the first time tonight, and they're wonderful!!!

I think that this problem has been solved! :D

I'm so pleased you are happy with them! I absolutely love mine! :)