PDA

View Full Version : "Serenity"...my latest landscape

judwal
08-12-2004, 08:54 AM
See any flaws? This is on Canson size 15X20 assorted soft pastels.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2004/43597-Serenity_Reduced.jpg

jackiesimmonds
08-12-2004, 09:00 AM
Judy - tiny nit-pick - take another look at the base of the tree to the right of the road. It seems to get narrower at the base, and trees generally tend to widen at the base. It doesn't look "planted" in the ground, somehow. Where the grass is lighter at the base of the tree, there would be some light on the trunk too.

Here are some of the questions I like to ask myself when doing landscape paintings:

what is my focal point in this pic? Do I feel that the main shapes and elements within the pic take the eye successfully to the focal point? Is the focal point interesting enough to capture the viewer's interest? What do I want the viewer to see, and feel, when they view this picture? Have I achieved that?

Jackie

judwal
08-12-2004, 09:10 AM
Thanks Jackie. I'll fix that trunk right now. I didn't notice that but of course now that you've pointed it out I do.

Khadres
08-12-2004, 06:07 PM
I love this...very rich colors and arrangement. My only thought is that I'd like to see hints of those orangey tones throughout the painting to bring it all together. I love the blue/orange resonance and you've room to expand on it, I think. Looks like a fun pic to do...are you enjoying landscapes after so many florals? It certainly looks like it!

Deborah Secor
08-12-2004, 06:27 PM
This is delightful, Judy! I love the shapes you've used that sort of swing and sway nicely. The colors are pleasing, realistic yet not slavish. The foliage of the trees is very strong--lyrical movement there, lots of air space, very nice!

Two small things bother me. The lavender shapes in the foreground puzzle me. I rather like the color there, but it doesn't read as anything to me. If it's meant to just be ground I suspect you could detail the grass around and over the edges of it. If it's flowers or weeds, a bit more detail is in order.

The only other nitty little thing is that the shape of the distant green bushes at the top of the hill repeat the shape of the clouds directly above them--a smidgen too much. A couple of judicious strokes there will cure it, if it bugs you too.

The shadows are just excellent! I really like this one.

Deborah

judwal
08-12-2004, 08:27 PM
Two small things bother me. The lavender shapes in the foreground puzzle me. I rather like the color there, but it doesn't read as anything to me. If it's meant to just be ground I suspect you could detail the grass around and over the edges of it. If it's flowers or weeds, a bit more detail is in order.

Deborah
Thanks Deb...the lavender shapes that you see in the foregound are sand. It's a place that cars pull into to enjoy the view.

prestonsega
08-15-2004, 02:41 AM
Judy...this painting brings to mind the lyrics of that old song.... :music: those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer... :music: You've created a nice airy-ness and fullness to the front tree by letting us see the sky through the foilage......the distant trees seem a bit flat and not as "bushy" in comparison.

chookbrown
08-15-2004, 05:32 AM
Lovely Judy, you have been given wonderful advice so I'll just enjoy the view!!

Colleen :D:D

meowmeow
08-15-2004, 09:30 AM
Serenity is a good name for this...it does feel serene..and summery. The nitpicks are few and been covered...this is quite lovely. Very nice colors...I like the overall "curve" of it...it just feels so smooth. Very nice!

Sandy

judwal
08-15-2004, 11:48 AM
I took this and others down to the gallery in my town. She liked some of my work and just dismissed this one with "I don't like it." She's kinda' cold individual..but who cares it's business. I plan to get some of my paintings framed and will sell them in her shop. She has lots of objects of art besides paintings and only takes 40% so it's a good deal I guess. She looks at each painting and decides which ones she likes and then will choose that one to try and sell. This is all new to me.

paloma
08-18-2004, 06:31 AM
Judy this is so eye catching that I can't really understand the Gallery owner rejecting. In my view for what it is worth it's a winner!! so beautiful that at first I did not notice the nitty bits, sure you have fixed them now. Just a thought; why not print off all these comments & take it back to the gallery !!
:clap: Cheers Alexandra

judwal
08-18-2004, 08:06 AM
Thanks...Good idea Alexandra! Let's put it this way about that gallery owner and me...we didn't bond. :(