PDA

View Full Version : S&T Thursday, August 12th, 2004

Andee
08-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Hi everybody,

I found this cute little froggy in our local beadshop today (well, actually yesterday) and it really begged for being worked into a fringe-type-of-necklace. I have never done one of those before, and had I imagined just HOW much work it is going to be I might not have listened to the frog at all! :p ;)

PS - Is it too cheeky to start a new S&T right after midnight? :D

fringe4u
08-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Oh Andee, I love the necklace and I love frogs! You do beautiful work and I think it is neat that you started the post already(even though I am still working on Wednesday!)
Would you mind sharing the type of thread you use to sew on your fringe?
I really can't say enough avout the necklace, it is wonderful!
The Other Debbie

Andee
08-12-2004, 05:04 AM
Debbie - thanks so much! I used a pretty stiff linen thread for the fringe. I
didn't have any tutorial for this, so I don't know what sort of thread usually
is used for this. Mine probably wasn't the best choice, but it worked quite well.

Oskadis
08-12-2004, 05:29 AM
Andee, that idea was just it. That cute froggie must be feeling quite at home in such lush grass ;)

Last evening while roaming in my boxes I found again some cute brass findings and *had* to make a necklace.

1. Czech beads and noveau style brass (new, but made from old dies).
2. I finished this headdress too. German silver wire, czech beads and an acrylic drop.
3. This is more or less a W.I.P.: I call it Ice Queen. Not sure if I could call it finished - I feel it screams for something to be between those acrylic crystals - but what? This one is made in a similar way to the other headpieces I made in an elvish style, just wanted a crown now :D

tamjai
08-12-2004, 08:05 AM
karen - your work is so romantic - makes me wistful
andee - now i see why your back and neck are stiff!! a big WOW :clap:
tam

MadameKali
08-12-2004, 08:22 AM
FINALLY!!!

Quick post.

The first two are bangles with copper wire and McDuck beads! The red one is a little short, which is why the clasp is soooo big, lol. (These are my first bangles, and they are still very clumsy.) Then, a galvanized steel tiara that I'm not entirely happy with. Then, half of a set of earrings that was inspired by a fountain (I have yet to make the other half). I also tucked in a picture of my rosary that I JUST finished for my uncle. I am a thread piggy today, but I have been waiting sooooooooo patiently :)

Cool froggy, Andee! And I always love your work, Karen!!

Oskadis
08-12-2004, 08:30 AM
Yummy work! I love that rosť/copper bangle and the hangers are nice too :)
What just made me fall off the rocker is the central connector for your rosary. I *love* that shape. Mind sharing where you got it ? :D

Retta Gates
08-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Susie I like your Half an earring alot :) , that wire pendant has a real interesting feel to it, like really branchy tree in winter or something...

I love your headpieces Karen, The last one is great I dont know if I could get away with wearing it though, the second one is just great as is but I look forward to seeing if you add something.

Andee that necklace is gorgeous! SO lush are green.

Jacinthe
08-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Andee - even if it is a little cheeky, I don't think anyone really minds after seeing that piece of artwork! Well done!

Karen - I'm loving that necklace, its simply gorgeous. I like the loops in the first headdress. I can see what you mean about the second needing something, for some reason I'm seeing hearts... but hmm... you know me and design. ;)

Kali - I really like the pink one as well. The others are pretty as well.

I dont have anything finished to show today. But I did sell that one colourful necklace today. Husband's Cousin came and picked it up and paid. She was VERY happy with it and will tell her co-workers who ask, about me and give my email so if they want to contact me they can. :)

hugs from holland,
Sarah

McDuck
08-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Andee - I LOVE that froggy necklace! very nice work for your first time!! and no its not cheeky to put up one at midnight, sometimes i do it at 1130 as it is the next day somewhere. LOL

Karen, Oh MY, all I can say is very very pretty!! the last one needs maybe silver wire loops in between the chunks o'crystal?? but yes it needs something.

Susie! WOWZERS! you been working girl! Love what you did with the peach sea urchins! so pretty and yes, that is one long clastp lol the rosary is very nice too and yes it is all pretty!

As for me, i posted in show an tell last night prior to the all night offline torment we all went through LOL now I will show you some new links I made. And a demo item for the shows to show hot to utilize the sea shells.

-Mary

Jacinthe
08-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Mary - VERY PRETTY! My favourites are the greens and the hearts! The necklace is very pretty, makes me think of the beaches in Florida when we lived there. Walking the beaches and picking up seashells.

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

TheBlueBetween
08-12-2004, 10:30 AM
Wow, what a great S&T already! Great froggy necklace Andee! You did that in ONE DAY??? Put's my slow butt to major shame ;) And not cheeky at all, it's the only way I can ever get something into a show and tell before everyone's already done viewing it ;)

Mary - wow - cool links idea! Like the green ones a lot they look like turtles. And the shell necklace is very nice!

Susie - another red and copper bangle - love them - (reminder to self, must get some coppper from Mary asap!).

Karen all great - I always wonder who wears the headdresses though - I have a feeling it's not just brides?

Not sure if there will be anything from me today - I got some wire and am trying to make a connie fox bangle but.... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I may post in a bit and ask for some help from the experts.

:) Pam

Andee
08-12-2004, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all your nice words, folks! :)

Karen - lovely pieces, as always. Yeah, I was wondering, too, if those headpieces are worn on other occasions than weddings?

Susie - wow, not bad for a first attempt in bangles (you should've seen my first and only try!). And kudos to Mary for the beads, they're gorgeous!

Mary - those links are adorable, I just luuuuurve the hearts, but the others are just as beautiful! And great necklace, the colour of the shell is incredible!

Pam - yup, I made that piece in one late afternoon/evening. I had to force myself to finish it, tho, coz I couldn't stand the thought of continuing it the next day... ;)

Oskadis
08-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Mary - those connectors are lovely! Love them all, but most of all those blue, rose shaped ones. And that necklace.. As airy as a midsummer's day at the beach. Love it!

About the headdresses :evil:
No it's certainly not all brides. LARP participants often need some when playing elves or maidens (atm in an elf headdress streak). Tolkien conventions coming up. Gothic ppl love such headwear too - although mostly in silver/black/blood red then. And I love making them because they are such an unusual item that lets me experiment with materials a lot.

Andee
08-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Karen - erm, LARP??????

Oskadis
08-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Live Roleplay ;)

somk
08-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Wow where to start...

Andee> I love your necklace ! So playful and fresh, great texture !

Karen : One word BEAUTIFUL ! and you bet that will work with LotR cons ! (I was in GOTF last winter and jewelry was disappearing like popcorns before pidgeons :)

MissKali Susie :) > You're mad, woman :D Your designs are soooo funny and playful *<3* and great bangle too.

Mary> your production is as always impressive ! what great connectors ! The hearts are my fav but I wouldn't mind working with any of them ! * :music: *

My turn to join the "we're all mad" club :
the drawing and the wax of one of my new "Lovecraft" inspired jewelry (for the non Horror litterature novels afficionados, Lovecraft was a horror novelist from the 20's who described the struggles between us poor humans and "Ancient Gods" who would like to take back the earth, eh... as usual :D )
So, here is an "OldOne".. Result of the casting, tomorrow... argh....

~So

TheBlueBetween
08-12-2004, 11:39 AM
About the headdresses :evil:
No it's certainly not all brides. LARP participants often need some when playing elves or maidens (atm in an elf headdress streak). Tolkien conventions coming up. Gothic ppl love such headwear too - although mostly in silver/black/blood red then. And I love making them because they are such an unusual item that lets me experiment with materials a lot.

ahaha - I knew it! There is a whole 'nuther world out there beyond my little piece of suburban american pie. Though I did not know that elves wore headdresses. Fairies maybe. But Elves?! (They do look fun to make :) )

McDuck
08-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Somk, I cant wait to see it finished! Do you ever cast in copper? :evil:
-Mary

Oskadis
08-12-2004, 11:45 AM
Heheh since the movies elves do wear headdresses ;) Seems Arwen and Galadriel there set a trend :rolleyes:

Somk... That is going to be one gorgeous piece of jewelry. Which one of the old ones are you depicting ? *drool*

beclectic
08-12-2004, 12:19 PM
<snip>My turn to join the "we're all mad" club :
the drawing and the wax of one of my new "Lovecraft" inspired jewelry (for the non Horror litterature novels afficionados, Lovecraft was a horror novelist from the 20's who described the struggles between us poor humans and "Ancient Gods" who would like to take back the earth, eh... as usual :D )
So, here is an "OldOne".. Result of the casting, tomorrow... argh....

~So
Is it a representation of Cthulhu? We have a tee shirt that says Miskatonic University and Cthulhu in a cutsy version (as cute as he can get anyway) is the mascot holding a pompom and a book and wearing a benie. It cracks me up just thinking about it. :D Love your piece it should be breathtaking when finished.

I used to LARP but it takes so much time. I played a wolf pooka in the White Wolf world. No jeweled headress for that character.

More from me later about all the georgeous stuff here today, right now I actually have to work for my paycheck. :)

somk
08-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Karen, Barbara> the Old one aka the Elder race if I remember it well, are the first comers who created mankind and their City was in the actual SouthPole. 5 branches star shaped head and all.. The main novel about them is "At the Mountains of Madness"
Cthulhu is the octopus headed God from R'Lyeh (ennemy to the OldOnes btw)
I have this necklace in mind for him :p

~So

beclectic
08-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Karen, Barbara> the Old one aka the Elder race if I remember it well, are the first comers who created mankind and their City was in the actual SouthPole. 5 branches star shaped head and all.. The main novel about them is "At the Mountains of Madness"
Cthulhu is the octopus headed God from R'Lyeh (ennemy to the OldOnes btw)
I have this necklace in mind for him :p

~So

Oh my, that is fantastic. Thanks for the definations. I knew there was a reason I liked Cthulhu. Now who was Nyarlethotep?

Oskadis
08-12-2004, 01:13 PM
OMG the Ctulhu one is even better!

Hmm ... selling one of those ? *crave*

beclectic
08-12-2004, 02:11 PM
OMG the Ctulhu one is even better!

Hmm ... selling one of those ? *crave*

Hey, I want it. ::: pout, pout::: :D

MadameKali
08-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Wow, where to begin. LOL

Karen.. let's see.. you asked me a question.. and.. I don't remember what you asked me, LOL! (goes back to find question) Oh yeah, rosary link! Unfortunately, I didn't "get" it anywhere... a friend of mine had that rosary from a yard sale, and I dismantled it =( It's shaped like a coffin. LOL, if you have another sterling rosary link, I will trade ya =)

Mary, yeah, I'm definitely going to re-do that red bangle (with a ruler next time)! I may need to be buying some more copper from ya..... the problem was that the holes in the resin beads were too big!! isn't it a shame? :D

Somk, I loooove your stuff. If I had money, I'd be commissioning stuff all the time .. like, oh, the clasp to a dragon bracelet I want to make. :evil: And yes, I am completely maaaaaaad!

If anybody's still reading.. lol.. I re-did my website last night, too. Although, I could stand to rephotograph some stuff yet--my chandelier pictures turned out really crapified. I'm fixing to update the link, so it'll be at the bottom of the post. Don't ask about the name.. I really have no clue, it came all by itself and demanded I use it.

Andee
08-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Somk - wow, that's stunning! The drawings alone had me with my jaw on the keyboard!! Just one question, tho: I was wondering about that "spike" on top - wouldn't that poke into the throat?

lizo
08-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Woo-hoo! Cthulhu rocks! :clap: LOL! I can't wait to see how that one turns out.

I made these earrings from a how-to in Step by Step Beads magazine. I used sterling silver wire, beads, and findings, with little matte lime-green and pink beads. The only thing that I don't like about them is that I forgot to put the jump ring for the middle hangy-thing (vocabulary?!). Well, that's what happens when I don't have the magazine right in front of me while I'm doing the bead! LOL!

Liz

McDuck
08-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Susie - just stick a large seed bead like a size 6 in each side of the resin beads or use the 4mm copper beads to help stabilize it. That is what I do!

Liz - very pretty colors and nice look to those! with or without the ring on the dangly thing. lol

-Mary

earthenwood
08-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Hey All!
Great stuff! You are all inspiring me with your talk of fairies and elves! Next week I will be going to Gen Con in Indy with my hubby and I am most looking forward to seeing all the costuming! I have never been to a scifi fantasy con before and the world is all new to me! I hope to come back with some inspiration for new jewelry or beads!

Barrie
08-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Wowza everyone!! I love them all! Especially your wax work Somk! Spectacular! I wish I could work in wax! Next time I get the urge, I'm going to pick your brains! I'd love to be able to do some 3D stuff like that. How long have you been working in wax?
Melanie, while you're at Gen Con, keep your eyes peel for dragons! I need more for my tattoo collection! :evil: That goes for all of you guys! I'm getting a new one tomorrow, I'll post on Saturday.
I guess I should go create something, you guys are kicking my butt with all these fab pieces!!

somk
08-12-2004, 05:06 PM
Barrie> and once again, the Bezel Queen is about to kick our butts off with a fantabulous piece *foretells and braces herself* :) And please, could you post picts of your new tats ? (love those, never got around having one myself..)

Melanie> Find me in the GenCon artshow :p I'll be the one sleeping behind her table somewhere, ehehe. *happy dance, I'm happy to go and this means sleeping at least 7 hours per night yay, I love hotels :music:, meeting new fun people etc *

Andee> yup, the spike bothered me first so I drew another design with the spike down but I went.. "hey, that's an old-one, right ? you have to take care when wearing an old one ! they're no carebears... "
In the end, I'll shorten and soften the spike but as the necklace isn't a choker/poker, I guess I won't kill my customers.. too much.

tamjai
08-12-2004, 05:28 PM
there has been so much activity today, i almost think i should wait until tomorrow to post....nah
somk - wow..the detail blows my mind ( my sweetie will develop a sudden interest in jewelery when he sees your stuff!! :evil: )
susie - i second whoever loved the pink and copper, great combo - you've been busy, a second energizer bunny after mary!
mary - i hope i get to try some of those delicious links!

i've been kinda stumped at the torch lately, so i played with some fimo. i'm not sure it's my thing but...here it is with a couple of my glass beads,copper etc thrown in for good measure - these are so not my colours, but i may change my mind yet!
tam

fringe4u
08-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Susie, I LOVE your bracelets!!!!!!!!!!!!!(and I love Mary's copper too)
Mary, your work is incredible
Tam, I love your piece
Oh darn, I love it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McDuck
08-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Tam - I really like the uniqueness of the bracelet! quite pretty!

-Mary

Beads-Me!
08-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Wow! What a S&T today!! And an education at the same time.... There's alot that goes on in this big ole world isn't there? One of these days I'll have some time to show you what I've been doing.... :rolleyes:

DonnaBee
08-13-2004, 12:22 AM
Amazing show n tell today everyone!!!! :eek:

:clap:

:D

TheBlueBetween
08-13-2004, 12:32 AM
Somk - can't wait to see it all done! Looks fabulous - and lots of fun too - how do you get into doing that kind of thing? (Like I need another thing to get into :rolleyes: )

Liz, great colors - do you "need" that ring thing to make them hang right or are they ok as is?

Tam - way cool bracelet even if it's not your colors - it looks like fall to me and I like it :)

Pam

bay75
08-13-2004, 02:22 AM
Wow!!!

Amazing work today. I love everything! The fring-y necklace is gorgeous, I don't believe I would ever have the patience for a piece like that and if I did it would take me close to a year to finish it as I thrive on instant gratification. As well, I love the headdresses they are so pretty and romantic they have a truly medievel feel to them. The pink and copper bangle by susie is gorgeous! I really love those beads.Mary the green pieces that you made are my favourite, I can see so many finished pieces in my head with those, possibly something with a slight celtic feel to it. Love the sketches for the metal castings...I may have to learn something new, those figures will just flow into a lovely piece of artwork...I look forward to seeing more in this series. I really like the colours on the chandelier earrings very nicely placed. And last but not least...love the bracelet Tam...all my favorite colours rolled into one piece it is decadent!! Thanks for sharing everything today, I spent my day face painting today and creating many a butterfly, plane and spiderman on each and every face I saw at a snowbird pilots autograph session today. Although no pictures were taken, I created a fair amount of wearable art LOL. I have also decided that face paints were not designed for the detail work that I would prefer.

Mary

Oskadis
08-13-2004, 10:51 AM
Karen.. let's see.. you asked me a question.. and.. I don't remember what you asked me, LOL! (goes back to find question) Oh yeah, rosary link! Unfortunately, I didn't "get" it anywhere... a friend of mine had that rosary from a yard sale, and I dismantled it =( It's shaped like a coffin. LOL, if you have another sterling rosary link, I will trade ya =)

Hi!
Thanks for the offer. I am off to my fav jeweler and see if he can get me a nice sterling rosary link (no no shops here carrying that and he will do me a favor by ordering a component :rolleyes: ). But I feel yours calling to me - already have the onyx beads for the rosary :D .

OK tell you on monday if I can get a link :)

Have a nice day!

froggee501
08-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Somk, I cant wait to see it finished! Do you ever cast in copper? :evil:
-Mary

Since I didn't see any answer to your question...

If I'm correct, it's dangerous to cast in copper, at least in a centrifuge... The copper splatters, and you don't want something that hot landing on you! At least, that's what my jewelry teacher told me when I asked... the only thing we could do with copper was to mix it with another metal, ie silver, and no more than 50 percent copper by weight.

However, that's just what I've been told, and I don't know, maybe it's just fine with other forms of casting.

Emma