PDA

View Full Version : First Try at the Dales

Khadres
08-11-2004, 04:12 PM
I don't know WHY I can't seem to get a clearer pic of this one, but this is the best I seem to be capable of right now. There are some parts of this I really like, like the far hills which barely show the colors, etc. in this pic...sorry!...and the almost vertiginous sense you get there due to the vastness of the rolling dales. Lots of stuff I'd just as soon forget too! :D But for a first shot, I guess it's okay.

About 14X18, aubergine Colourfix, a bit of everything pastel brand-wise. C&C welcome, of course...doubt you can be much harder on it than I've already been! :evil:

DominicM
08-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Sooz,

Its lovely, wasn't sure about the green, thought it was a bit bright even for sunlit but love everything else...

...the more I look at it, I think you have got it right...

I think you have done another winner... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dark_Shades
08-11-2004, 05:06 PM
Ohhhhh Sooz this is absolutely wonderful....... looooooove it :clap: just look at those distant hills and sky ...... divine !!!! ..... a beauty ..... :clap: ..... just love the foreground heathers and colour ..... sets so well against the green .... if I had to say anything in a form of mini nit pick, would be, perhaps just add a touch more deeper colour or blues for shadows of the sheepies :) ....... its a realllllllll beauty....... love it...... far too hard on yourself Sooz...... your eye gets let in through the heathers to the sheep, and leisurely takes in the splendour of the dales and how you have depicted them in beautiful shades, and you also get the sense of the expanse of it

Excellent Sooz..... Well done in deed :clap:

SweetBabyJ
08-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Superb depth- nice work, Sooz

Kathryn Wilson
08-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Are you kidding, girl! This is wonderful - :clap: A wonderful sense of depth, a great color palette, composition - a sure winner in my book :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kitty Wallis
08-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Lovely.

I especially love the violet haze along the far edge of the bright green. And the expansive hazy depth. And the gentle rocking of the composition.

Kathryn Day
08-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Hi,
A very pastoral scene. soothing. I love green and purple together!!! Beautiful.

soap
08-12-2004, 06:23 AM
WOw......this is gorgeous.........beautiful!! Love the colours. The only thing I can think of is to add some more variety in colours in the front purples.

This is great work.

JohnnyRed
08-12-2004, 08:22 AM
This is a painting from my own heart!

I just love the way you lead in the eye with the stream. the distant hills look moody and distant.

Don't worry too much about the green, it looks dead right to me. It gives the whole painting a lift. It's the sort of green you get after some rain and the sun shining on the grass.

The proportions are right.

The only slight.... and I mean teensy weensy... criticism is that perhaps a bit more variety of light/dark on the heather would prevent the block effect.

I wish I'd done this one!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

jackiesimmonds
08-12-2004, 09:08 AM
Beautifully atmospheric, LOVE that aspect of it.

In your shoes, I would add one or two woolly girls into the green shape to the right. Because at the moment, both green shapes are same size and colour, and to my eye, are acting a bit like a vise, clamping the poor sheep between them. I want to run in there, and yell "Mint Sauce!!" so that they scatter a bit to the right!

Otherwise...it is really lovely.

J :clap:

Khadres
08-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Geez, thanks guys! Goes to show...you can work on something til you half hate it, but it may be okay after all. I agree on all your tips, too...had to laugh about the scrunched sheep! Tis true, too! You have NO idea how hard those woolies were to do that small! I almost opted for wooly MAMMOTHS. The biggest mistake I made on this, I think, is not sticking with Wallis! The Colourfix is okay, just not as easy correct if you need to.

And to think that a few years ago I actually heard myself say that I thought purple and green were HORRID together! :o

Oh! I was very surprised when I began putting my pastels away from this...a good many, in fact MOST of them turned out to be Art Spectrums (the rest were GAs and Unisons) and I don't recall running across even one harsh one! Their Jacaranda colour is YUMMY!

pjo
08-12-2004, 09:49 AM
This is beautiful! That green just makes me want to walk barefoot in the meadow, but I bet I'll have to watch where I step. The softness of the sky and distant mountains really adds a nice depth to this one too, and the stream lead me right in.

CarlyHardy
08-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Sooz,
I love this scene....it has all the elements that draw me in and make me want to paint it. Those distant mountains with the hazy sky glow are just perfect! I love the sheep in the field....they make me feel calm just watching them :)

Only thing I'd suggest is to soften the lines that meet where the field and the distant trees come together and lighten the field there just a tad. Would give you more distance into the middle ground.

Thanks for sharing this one today.....I need a sense of peace with so much activity right now and your painting provided just that :)
carly

Dyin
08-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Sooz, how luscious is this??? I think softening that line like Carly suggested would really help and Jackie cracked me up with the mint sauce comment! But it would break it up nicely...but I really like sooooo much about this piece...it's very serene. The purple in the front surprised me...I try to think about landscape 'rule's' and they're a cool color, which I associate with further objects, but the value is strong enough to keep them forward and it brings you in, but immediately your eyes lift to the bright area above and when you're done looking through the whole piece it's a nice restful place to come back to. Makes me want to get a job as a shepherd so I can sit and watch views like this every day! You should be very well pleased with this! :clap:

K Taylor-Green
08-12-2004, 11:46 AM
I'm a little late here, but this is wonderful, Sooz. Love the little sheepies. I can relate to the frustration, but for me it was cows!!

judwal
08-12-2004, 12:29 PM
This just glows! I love the colors you've used and the sheep as focal point..wonderful.

Tammar
08-12-2004, 02:25 PM
This is sooo beauuuuutiful! I haven't tried a landscape in pastel yet - but this inspires me to give it a try!

Khadres
08-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks for sharing this one today.....I need a sense of peace with so much activity right now and your painting provided just that :)
carly

Wow, I'm glad it had that affect on ya! Thanks for the comments! And luck with your upcoming show!

Khadres
08-12-2004, 05:30 PM
Sooz, how luscious is this??? I think softening that line like Carly suggested would really help and Jackie cracked me up with the mint sauce comment! But it would break it up nicely...but I really like sooooo much about this piece...it's very serene. The purple in the front surprised me...I try to think about landscape 'rule's' and they're a cool color, which I associate with further objects, but the value is strong enough to keep them forward and it brings you in, but immediately your eyes lift to the bright area above and when you're done looking through the whole piece it's a nice restful place to come back to. Makes me want to get a job as a shepherd so I can sit and watch views like this every day! You should be very well pleased with this! :clap:

Thanks, Sue! And I agree about the shepherding business...we met several shepherdESSES in both Yorkshire and the West Country...I think maybe guys have largely given it up as a profession or something, but all these gals said they'd never do anything else for a living. Sounds not that bad to me...they have their dogs and all that solitude and beauty! Sounds great!

Y'all mean where the vivid green of the pasture meets the kinda muted tree line? I'll give that a shot. Good idea.

Oh! And that foreground blue violet is Unison blue violet and Art Spectrum's Jacaranda tones....tooooooooo yummy to resist! I'm never totally sure if I see those as cool or not....I think it depends on where they are in a piece and used with what...but in general, you're right...one would think distance and in fact, the same hues were used in lighter values in the far hills, as well.

Pinecone Conniff
08-13-2004, 05:03 PM
This is truly a beautiful painting!!...you have gotten some interesting advice on the sheep...Are you thinking about any changes? I'd love to see this again if you do! :)
Mint sauce?? :confused:
Annette

Deborah Secor
08-13-2004, 05:23 PM
heh heh...love Jackie's mint sauce comment..except these darn critters don't scatter easily..

Oh, I'm here! Hi! Sooz, this one is wonderful!!!! :D Love the colors and the spatial movement is delightful. Excellent. The advice you've been given is sound and I look forward to seeing the final decisions you make.

Deborah

prestonsega
08-14-2004, 01:04 AM
I find the green field nestled amoung the blue/violets of the forground grasses and distant hills to be a pastoral oasis for the eye!....it invites one to enter and experience the tranquility....so nice!!!! :)

Khadres
08-15-2004, 12:15 AM
Well, I've let this sit where I can see it for a couple days and I'll admit, now that I'm mostly finished with it, I like it pretty well after all. I think I'm the type that works on something to the point of just wanting to be done with it sometimes. I'm hoping to do some others of the dales eventually...it's like a right brain vacation to the UK...hmmmm...I wonder how hard it would be to convince hubby that I NEED another trip to England to do sketches and research? hmmmmm

meowmeow
08-15-2004, 09:37 AM
Mmmmmmm....so lovely...I just get lost in the hills here! You have the distance so well. REally a lovely painting!

Sandy

E-J
08-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Soft and hazy and glowing ... beautiful, Sooz!

chookbrown
08-15-2004, 07:13 PM
This is lovely Sooz. You have been given some great ideas to push it even further. Terrific job!!

colleen :D:D :clap:

bogbeast
08-15-2004, 08:07 PM
Sooz, this i a beauty! My only thought was also about softening the line between the green and the background, so I'm glad the "pros" mentioned it first... You have every reason to be proud of this one, and your sheepsies ar e great! Now, in honor of Jackie (after all, she IS British, and so are your sheep), how about an alternative title, something like, "No Mint Sauce In Sight!" :D

Khadres
08-15-2004, 09:26 PM
Now, in honor of Jackie (after all, she IS British, and so are your sheep), how about an alternative title, something like, "No Mint Sauce In Sight!" :D

LOL! I think I'll do another one...sheep scurrying flat out for cover with a gal (same hair, etc. as Jackie, of course!) running in close pursuit, brandishing a sauce jar and trailing pastel sticks in her wake! Mint sauce sounds more like something you'd put on ice cream or something. Having never had mutton OR mint sauce, I'm taking the Brits' word for it that it's tasty.

paloma
08-16-2004, 06:33 AM
This is more than just okay soos. I think it is just superb the way you have all the colours echoing through the piece & the feeling of wide open space taking the viewer right into the pic. The only suggestion I would offer is that the green may be a tad too green, not sure if you should knock it back as it is that vibrant colour which attracts the eye!!! :clap: Cheers ,Alexandra :)

bnoonan
08-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Love this and really like the idea of the second version you'll be painting. As for mint sauce - you have to have it with lamb - it's required and fabulous!!!

As has been mentioned before - my favorite parts are yours' as well. Those lavender colors to ground it in the front and the pushed back hills in the distance. Well done!

Bahhhhhhhb