PDA

View Full Version : Mainely Surf WIP

meowmeow
08-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Our art group is having a silent auction at the end of the month (right about the time of the wedding) and I want to have something to contribute...well not contribute but...whatever. Anyhow...the subject is the Coast of Maine or something...sooooo....since it was supposed to rain today I had started this yesterday from some photos I have. Of course then I went out to paint this morning...what a hard life! :D Too little time..too much to paint!
This is Wallis, 11x14, goauche underpainting and soft pastels. Just starting...a ways to go but you can yell if you see anything blatantly wrong. Or whisper in my ear anyhow...maybe I'll listen to ya'! The roundy area on the left will hopefully be a wonderful, huge splashy surfy thing. NOt quite there yet.
SHeesh...it is muggy here in my computer room! Hard to think. I'm using the attachment manager for these since there are 3. I know they are small...I hate that it has to be only 500 across...I don't always do portrait view. Anyhow, when it gets to be something I'll upload a little larger view.
In the really painting you can still more of the underpainting..it doesn't show much here.
Thanks for looking.

Sandy

Khadres
08-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Ohhhh, Sandy this already has so much energy! I read the splashy part just fine already, although I'll enjoy seeing the added stuff you put into it, I'm sure. You guys with beaches and rocky shores make me so jealous! You're really going to town on painting this summer and I can see your powers growing with each pic, too! good for YOU!

Dark_Shades
08-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Love this Sandy ....... so much power, movement and energy.... excellent..... love the fore wave breaking.......
am jealous of all the time you have to paint..... havent been able to touch any pastels for weeks now..... too much other stuff going on :p

SweetBabyJ
08-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Look at you grow, Sandy! Terrific power coming here- it feels splashy just looking at it.

Kathryn Wilson
08-11-2004, 05:54 PM
Wonderful Sandy! Even the first one looks great as an abstract. You've a got powerful feeling in the surf pounding against the rocks. Way to go!

meowmeow
08-12-2004, 06:22 AM
You guys are sooooo encouraging! I hope I can live up to your high exxpectations with this one! Mine too! :D

chookbrown
08-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Sandy what great action you have in this water!! Fantastic!!

Colleen :D:D

prestonsega
08-15-2004, 02:25 AM
Sandy, I missed this one..not sure how, but Ive found it now :) . This is going to be great. The red underpainting adds greatly to the drama. I'm sure it will fetch a nice bid at the auction.

meowmeow
08-15-2004, 07:40 AM
THanks Preston and Colleen.
I did some more work on it last night and I think it is almost done. I am hoping to have time to scan it in to show.
The thing with this auction is that the way things get done around here I am just hoping people show up for the auction! You just never know. But we are sending out some nice postcards and we made a nice poster to be put up and hopefully we wil generate some enthusiasm. There is just so much going on it is hard to know. But I have had fun doing this and if it doesn't sell at the auction I will take it to the last show...or just hang it up for a while! :D

meowmeow
08-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Okay....here she is...not sure I will do any (or much more)...but always open for C&C...you guys do see things I miss.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/15050-mainely_surf_smaller.jpg

Thanks

Sandy

edit: the lights are lighter...I was trying to make it all more turquoisey rather than blue and lost some of the bluey-whites and creamy-whites. Oh well.
Hopefully this is a better representation of the color. I really worked at having it be much warmer than some others I have done. I think I succeeded, but you wouldn't know it from looking at the one above.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/15050-P1010001.JPG

:D It's a cross between the two but closer to the bottom one. :D I love computers! I really do. :D

Kathryn Wilson
08-15-2004, 10:29 AM
SIGN AND FRAME IT - :clap: :clap: :clap:

Very successful painting Sandy - I just know it will sell well. I think this might be your best seascape to date - action, color, comp - all of it!

judwal
08-15-2004, 11:58 AM
I love the Maine coast and you've captured it well in this painting. Well done Sandy.

prestonsega
08-15-2004, 04:09 PM
:clap:

You're right about trying to second guess John Q. Public, but I still say this one is going to be a hit....Once again, Sandy, your work, in my eye, shows so much growth since I joined WC less than a year ago !.....Aside from all the hard work, studying, experimenting, taking on challenges, expenditure on supplies,,,etc. what is your secret? :D

meowmeow
08-15-2004, 04:14 PM
THanks, Kat, Judy and Preston.

what is your secret?

:D WC!!!!!

Really...I have learned sooooo much since coming here. I know I have grown and improved in the time I have been coming here and posting and seeing the comments and critiques of my work and seeing other peoples' paintings and how they work. I think I have learned more in the couple of years I have been here than in all the time before.
That's my secret...and I'm sticking to it! :D

Dyin
08-15-2004, 05:40 PM
Sandy...this is one of the ones I was watching....and it really does show how you've grown. I like all the color in the water, really like that you have a nice warm/cool contrast and even see that your surf is in a Z pattern, I bet you do a lot of things sub-consciously now that you don't even realize you're doing...this should do well at the auction :clap:

meowmeow
08-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Yep...it's got a "z"....I'm glad you noticed.
It isn't so much subconscious as it comes more easily...I try to find ways to keep the viewer in the painting. It's sort of a challenege...or a maybe like a puzzle. In any case it's fun to do and to be aware of it.

Khadres
08-15-2004, 05:57 PM
I love the greenyblues you put into this one! This is probably gonna be the best auction piece there! :clap:

bogbeast
08-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Start the bidding --this one is definitely a winner! and with your mother's health and your daughter's wedding hanging over your head at the same time, this is amazing work! :clap: