PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Lantern Critique

CalmWaterStudio
08-11-2004, 10:49 AM
I have had an order for Chinese Lantern beads, and they are just something I haven't done a lot of. Would you guys tell me how to improve?

This is a smallish one... she wanted "chunky and funky," so I made several. She was happy with them, and wanted blues and greens only.. so this little gold one remained with me.

dogmaw
08-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Gigi,

What kind of lantern are you modeling these on? Could you please post a pict? I don't want to comment until I know what I'm talking about. :)

Jo

CalmWaterStudio
08-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Something similar to this, only she didn't want it as precise... more eclectic and funky...

margaretz
08-11-2004, 12:48 PM
Gigi, The colors you chose for this lantern work very well. They're lovely. However, to really get the lantern look, I think you might want to focus on refining your shape and glass control, particularly the top and bottom of the bead- right now they're a little lumpy (and those, to get the lantern look, should really be a little more geometric or at least flat, with an even profile with the bead). Hope I'm making sense here... After encasing, but before you add the top and bottom "cuffs" of clear, make sure that your base bead is really on axis. You could even slightly flatten each side so you have a flat surface to apply a ring of clear with thick stringer. Apply the cuff carefully and spend time with your marver making sure you get a nice even (flat, unlumpy) profile. Hope this helps- I can't wait to see your next lanterns! (please post them!)