PDA

View Full Version : Wear Its at! Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Andee
08-11-2004, 04:26 AM
Morning everybody!

I'm enjoying my first cuppa tea while browsing the online-job-adverts (daily routine) and having a peek at some more enjoyable stuff (like Danielle's website - I love it!)...

It has finally cooled down a bit here, lots of rain last night, that was very refreshing.

Have a great day, y'all! :)

TheBlueBetween
08-11-2004, 05:47 AM
Hi Andee :) Good Morning! Enjoy your tea and hope you find a good job.

It's 2:45 AM. My dog just woke me up with that itchy ear thing that gets her every once in awhile - she starts flapping her ears and zooming her head down the side of the bed and back up and making a racket. So I'm down here with her putting drops in her ears and thought I'd check in. I have a great necklace to post but I have to take a picture of it. Hmn.... sleep is a ways off now, I guess I'll give that a try tho the lighting sux this time of er... night. BRB...

Pam

beclectic
08-11-2004, 08:53 AM
Hey y'all. I'm getting into all the things at work that have been pushed back by this Windows Update project. Seems like the saying 'The hurrier I go the behinder I get', is true. Oh well...

Mark my DS got moved into his apartment last night. I'll guess he'll be off my couch and into his own place soon. I hope he visits a lot he is fun to have around.

We are trying to adopt a stray dog from one of the rescue places here but they make it so difficult. I adopted a child from Korea and it took less than this. I expect them to ask me for fingerprints to run through Interpol any minute. I really don't care if the dog is mixed but I'd like it small for the house and with a child around 4 they don't want to give you anything but a Lab or some Lab mix and that is just too darn big. We are waiting to hear back on a smallish puppy but it is 3 days today and they said they would get back with us by now. I guess I'm going to have to go buy a dog, it seems a shame when animals are being killed because they can't find homes for them. Of course they can't find homes. They want to make sure you have the money to take care of the animal, they want you to be home to take care of it, they want your friends to be home during the day to give you references, now I ask you, who, has money, stays home all day and has friends that don't work all day? (Well I know a lot of you work at home but I can't give you as references because you live in other cities and the shelters won't call long distance.) I HATE BUREAUCRACY!!! :mad:

When I lived in the country people dropped dogs every summer. Maybe I should just drive up and down the rural highways until I find some poor animal that someone has dumped. If I didn't work away from home I'd have time to do that.

Thanks for listening. I'll try to get a better attitude. :o

Have a fun and productive day.

BlindCaveFish
08-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Yawn, I slept in!
I'm so sorry you're having a hard time finding a pup Barbara. Don't give up! I used to work at a vets and people always seemed to have a hard time findind small dogs, so much to the point that they would buy "purebread peek-a-poos" for hundreds of dollars. Have you tried putting up adds at local vet clinics?
I guess I should go to work... then I can come home and make some pretty things! :p

beclectic
08-11-2004, 09:49 AM
Yawn, I slept in!
I'm so sorry you're having a hard time finding a pup Barbara. Don't give up! I used to work at a vets and people always seemed to have a hard time findind small dogs, so much to the point that they would buy "purebread peek-a-poos" for hundreds of dollars. Have you tried putting up adds at local vet clinics?
I guess I should go to work... then I can come home and make some pretty things! :p

You probably slept in because you needed it.

That's a good idea about the local vets, thanks for sharing. That is a good joke about peek-a-poos being pure breed. :) But hundreds of dollars is starting to look cheap. I saw an ad for a French Bulldog (which I don't want) puppy for $1,600. It didn't say anything about show quality. That seems kind of ridiculous for a person that just wants a mixed something around 35 lbs.

McDuck
08-11-2004, 10:02 AM
GOOD DAY EVERYONE!!!!

ANdee, I am looking for a job too! Need insurance and more pay :rolleyes: Hope you find a better one too!

Pam sorry to hear you were woken early AGAIN! Kids and animals just dont care about the time of night do they? Hope her ears are better soon. ANd that blue necklace is calling my name :music: Mary :music:

Barbara, Glad to hear about the DS and sorry to hear about the puppy problem. Just go to the Black Dog Ranch in Texas, my bro and sisinlaw are up to 10 dogs due to the throw away problems there. And theyjust took 2 more pups to the shelter! :eek: Cnat keep em all. Now Kim cant have a horse cuz there are too many dogs to handle. LOL

Hollie, enjoy your sleeping in. Wish I could. I too woke up at 4:10 this morning and never fell back to a real sleep. VERY cool here AGAIN today *grumbles* :mad: Mom is coming over to work in my back yard with me then down to glaze and pour. Then back to the neighbors yard for more work there. Now the neighbor across the street saw what we were doing and wanted to know if we would do some work for them too. :eek:

HAve a wonderous day!
Mary

TheBlueBetween
08-11-2004, 10:46 AM
hiya I'm up again :) Managed a couple more hours after all. Phew. I really don't do well when I don't get enough sleep.

Barbara good luck with the pup - labs ARE wonderful with kids and they really aren't that big (I have two lab mix pound pups myself so I'm partial) - especially if you get one that is mixed with a smaller dog. Now my neighbor has over 500 lbs of dogs next door - and she's only got 3 dogs - neapolitian mastiffs, and the most adorable dopy blood hound - he's still a pup but will be about 200 lbs when he's done. Compared to that a 75 lb dog is SMALL ;)

And most real small dogs I know are snappers - they fear or don't trust small kids - I have to watch Luke like a hawk around them. That's probably why they don't want to give you one. It might be different if you get one as a puppy and it grows up with your DD. But then the perfect small dog who already grew up with kids and loves them might be out there waiting for you. I hope you find him/her! (

BTW, I had to drive 2 hours out of our city area to find a shelter with an overflow of dogs - and because I was driving so far and told them I was not coming back, they let me leave with my pup - I used my vet as a reference. That was how I got around the BUREAUCRACY!

Well today is another summer camp day for Luke, so I get torch time again - I'm not sure what I'm going to make, but setting a goal of "one perfect blue bead" seemed to work. Maybe I'll do the same and say "two perfect purple beads" or something. I do need some beads to go at the ends of my purple lariat I'm working on.

Ta for now :)

Pam

beclectic
08-11-2004, 10:51 AM
GOOD DAY EVERYONE!!!!

ANdee, I am looking for a job too! Need insurance and more pay :rolleyes: Hope you find a better one too!

Pam sorry to hear you were woken early AGAIN! Kids and animals just dont care about the time of night do they? Hope her ears are better soon. ANd that blue necklace is calling my name :music: Mary :music:

Barbara, Glad to hear about the DS and sorry to hear about the puppy problem. Just go to the Black Dog Ranch in Texas, my bro and sisinlaw are up to 10 dogs due to the throw away problems there. And theyjust took 2 more pups to the shelter! :eek: Cnat keep em all. Now Kim cant have a horse cuz there are too many dogs to handle. LOL

Hollie, enjoy your sleeping in. Wish I could. I too woke up at 4:10 this morning and never fell back to a real sleep. VERY cool here AGAIN today *grumbles* :mad: Mom is coming over to work in my back yard with me then down to glaze and pour. Then back to the neighbors yard for more work there. Now the neighbor across the street saw what we were doing and wanted to know if we would do some work for them too. :eek:

HAve a wonderous day!
Mary

Hi Mary, sorry you didn't get more sleep. DD was crying this morning saying she was cold. It was about 65F this morning at 6:45 a.m. but the afternoons are warm. Of course the water in the swimming pools never warms up properly when the temp. is dropping this low at night.

Mary you are so multi-talented. It is a shame that the health insurance thing is such a bear. It is really too bad that there isn't a good co-op for small business owners to get a decent price on health insurance. You have your bead business and it sounds like you could start a yard care business, durning the summer, you are in such demand.

If air shipping on dogs was cheaper I'd just tell your brother and SIL to send me a LBD (Little Black Dog, really any color would be fine). I have a friend that used to volunteer for the Humane Society. One day a lady brought in a little brown and white dog and left him to be adopted. When they asked her why she was getting rid of her dog she said that it was because she had redecorated and the dog didn't go with her furniture anymore. Now that is really cold. Maybe it is an urban legand but my friend, Robbie, says it really happened at her Humane Society. :eek: :confused: :eek:

Barrie
08-11-2004, 12:47 PM
G'morning all!! Hey, Barb, no urban legend - that's how I ended up with a purebred Himalayan cat many years ago - it seriously clashed with the furniture. People like that should be ..........well, can't think of anything I can print, without being accused of being violent! :evil: I decided it was time for me to get out of the pet store business when I sold a beautiful golden retriever puppy (8 weeks old) to a couple who didn't speak very good English. They bought the puppy, and every toy, goodie, dish, accessory known to mankind. They left with puppy in arms, and the man was back about 10 minutes later with the leash and collar. Of course my heart stopped, but he said he wanted to return these items because they didn't work. I said what do you mean, he said he put the collar on the dog, attached the leash, but the puppy wouldn't walk, just sat down and refused to go anywhere. Well DUH!!! It's a freaking puppy!! Yeesh! Yup, gave my notice later that day and walked away from that nasty job!!

Contacting vets is a really good idea, sometimes elderly people have a dog and can't keep it, or children develop allergies and the dog has to go. Certainly can't hurt. I sure hope you find one, I know you would be a wonderful momma!! Hey, can we send you reference letters??! LOL!

Mary, you're amazing! I can't believe all the things you do! I bow to your energy!! Pam, I feel your pain! We have a cat who feels that it's vital we rise and shine at 4 am, and if we don'thop to, he meows and meows until one of us gets up and puts him outside! LOL! Stupid cat!! Andee, enjoy the rain, we aren't supposed to get aweather change for 3 weeks! Ouch!! Too hot for me! Good luck with the job search. Hi Hollie!! Have a great day!!

I think I better get my car to the mechanic for a tune up today. I'm leaving town on Monday and it has to be done before that, better safe than sorry. My son's girlfriend is coming over to babysit the grandbaby today so the other girlfriend can help me with some work (I love getting all these wonderful girls in my life after having all those boys of mine! LOL! Kind of like an added bonus!). My sunburn is almost gone, and good thing - getting another new tattoo on Friday, and don't want to tattoo scorched skin! LOL! Anyway, today, I'm finishing my big cuff bracelet with one of Earthenwood's big moon faces, I'll show you later! Have a fun creative day everyone!!!

debkauz
08-11-2004, 01:12 PM
Mornin all,
Too bad I can't help out with cats! I have a darling grey/white handsome guy outside who is looking for a home. I told him it would be a while here, but he's still hoping.
Barrie, I still want to hear about your show. It sounds great.
Mary, you have more energy than anyone else I know. I don't know how you do it!
Pam, Andee, Barb, and Hollie...and all who follow...have great days!

Mine started out way too early--8am dentist appointment that is 45 min away from my house. But, I don't need one of the crowns I thought I did--only 2 now at $900 each. My dental insurance with the state sucks so there is most of my 'free' cash for a while. Better get cracking on the jewelry so I can help pay for it that way.
A friend had a baby girl last night. I went to Babies R Us this morning. Oh, my, do they have some cute stuff. I couldn't decide, so there went another chunk of cash. and then there was Costco. Do you ever get out of there for under a hundred bucks?! I sure spent a lot of money before 1100 this morning. :rolleyes: Oh well...it's on ly money, right?

Deb

flynfire
08-11-2004, 01:40 PM
Well, I finally have a day off from flying and instead of doing bookkeeping, I'm on WC. Well, at least I have my priorities right! I am working on designs for my commission for the Women Soaring Pilots Assn. I settled on a motif, threw together some scraps to test drive it, and shamefully put a pendant and bracelet in my display case at the airport. TWO count 'em TWO different customers were interested in each piece. So that is encouraging.
Sorry to hear about your dog adoption troubles, Barb. Maybe you just need to give the animal shelter the answers they want to hear. A 35lb. dog is not too small for children. I guess the shelter wants to prevent getting the puppy back again. BTW, I'm a trainer and I'm that story about decorating is true. A vet friend of mine in Miami was asked to put down a cat because its owner redecorated. (She did NOT put the cat to sleep) Sadly, there are people who mistreat their animals, not on purpose, but out of ignorance. Oh the stories I could tell!! Anyway, good luck on your search for the right dog!
Kit

McDuck
08-11-2004, 01:43 PM
:mad: Oh Deb,I feel for you hun. Luckily my sis works for my dentist, I have a crown to get soon, and I can pay it off and get a deduction.

As for energy my dear friends and colleagues, I do not honestly know where I get it. Right now it is a whole lot of nervous energy, but I hardly sit still to begin with. I love keepying busy and doing and creating things. Couldnt wait for my delicas to get here, so i went to hobby lobby btw they have 50% off all the jewelry shop items, and bought some beads and thread and stuff. NOw i need the time! :eek: I have this HUGE book on beading I bought last year I think at the mall at one of this middle of the mall book stores for cheap that tells you how to do different seed bead patterns. I cant wait for time to work on it either! NOt to mention right now i need to get my website updated in a very bad way.

have a great day all
Mary

beclectic
08-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Well, I finally have a day off from flying and instead of doing bookkeeping, I'm on WC. Well, at least I have my priorities right! I am working on designs for my commission for the Women Soaring Pilots Assn. I settled on a motif, threw together some scraps to test drive it, and shamefully put a pendant and bracelet in my display case at the airport. TWO count 'em TWO different customers were interested in each piece. So that is encouraging.
Sorry to hear about your dog adoption troubles, Barb. Maybe you just need to give the animal shelter the answers they want to hear. A 35lb. dog is not too small for children. I guess the shelter wants to prevent getting the puppy back again. BTW, I'm a trainer and I'm that story about decorating is true. A vet friend of mine in Miami was asked to put down a cat because its owner redecorated. (She did NOT put the cat to sleep) Sadly, there are people who mistreat their animals, not on purpose, but out of ignorance. Oh the stories I could tell!! Anyway, good luck on your search for the right dog!
Kit

That's great about your test pieces. Sounds like you have a hit.

I know the shelters are trying to do right by the dogs but there is a point when people give up and buy from a back-yard breeder and that is not a good thing for anyone. I had one shelter tell me that they would have to inspect our back-yard but that they wouldn't hold the dog we were interested in. Now you tell me, that dog is going to die because that was Municiple Animal Control and they only keep the dogs for 5 days, is that better for that dog? I stupidly told them we had a back yard. If I had said we lived in an apartment that would have been OK. At this point I would give them the answers they want if I could figure out what that was but each place has a different idea about what they want and different weird rules. I feel like I've fallen through the looking glass into some weird warpped mirror image world. :confused:

OK, I'm really upset. The puppy we applied for, they gave it to someone else. :crying: I just heard. At least it is not going to its death like the one at Animal Control.

Beads-Me!
08-11-2004, 02:55 PM
....jumping in to say a quick hello.... The kids are both with friends so I'm making the most of my time.... Catch up with ya'll later!! :)

McDuck
08-11-2004, 05:41 PM
The first is a rather blurry pic of the turtle roses. i willt ry again when the mud is dry. lol

the second is the gift from my newest tenant, a chipmunk who moved in under my front porch, nice of him eh? I have pulled out at least 15 other such gifts throughout my flowerbeds.

Mary...errrr...McDuck

beclectic
08-12-2004, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the pictures Mary. Turtle Rose is a much prettier name for what I've always called Turtle Head, Chelone glabra. It is good for inflammations and hemmoroids although I don't know exactly how you prepare the plant. I like your volunteer, a happy accident.