PDA

View Full Version : Summer on Wallis -finished

Tom Christopher
08-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Hello artists --I finally got around to finishing this pastel. The landscape here is starting to show signs of autum. I tried to depict this. I have painted plenty of these Iowa river scenes this year and still look forward to starting the next one.. thanks for commenting... Tom

K Taylor-Green
08-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Your work always sparkles. Clear, clean color, no mud. And always a wonderful play of light. Great job, Tom

jackiesimmonds
08-11-2004, 02:37 AM
Tom, I love the top half of this pic, it has a lovely sense of light, and the foliage is masterful.

I would just like to ask, however, if the bottom shape is water, or if it is a dry river bed?

J

paloma
08-11-2004, 06:35 AM
Hello Tom,
This is an extremely nice painting - such feeling shows in this work , The foreground does looks like a river bed though I am not sure if needs to be explained. My only crit would be that I feel that the grass is just a tad too green. It is super. Cheers Alexandra

Tom Christopher
08-11-2004, 09:55 AM
I would just like to ask, however, if the bottom shape is water, or if it is a dry river bed?
J[/QUOTE]

Hi Jackie-Altho the picture doesn't show it well, it is actually a rock bed just beneathe the surface--I may have to rework this area --thanks for commenting---Tom

jackiesimmonds
08-11-2004, 11:10 AM
well - if you are gonna rework it anyway, can I then say that I feel you almost have two pictures going on here? The top half is lovely, with that super swinging curve in the trees to the left of the pic. I want to look at that, and enjoy it for a while,but I keep getting drawn down to the bottom of the pic, which doesn't, to my eye, "connect" particularly well, in terms of shape, with the top half.

Also, the top half is a lovely "colour harmony" arrangement of blues and greens, all from one side of the colour wheel. With just a few touches of warm colours for variety and interest. Then, the bottom half jumps up and hits me ... warm browns, oranges etc, colour from all over the place. Strong contrasts too in that area. It just doesn't, to my eye, work with the top half at all.

Here is what I want to look at:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2004/1805-finished_summer_on_Wallis2.JPG

Perhaps if there wasn't a "kink" in the bank of the river, and it wasn't so contrasty, it might just provide a nice simple horizontal shape at the bottom of the image, which would not interfere so much,visually, with the wonderful curving shapes of the trees, but would instead provide an "anchor" shape at the base of the image. Perhaps worth thinking about? Turn the pic upside down and gaze at the shapes for a while. Dont worry about what was "there" so much as the actual shapes within the rectangle.

On the other hand, if you disagree with everything I have said, leave it as is!!
It's your choice, your pic.

Jackie

meowmeow
08-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Wow! It's really rare that I disagree with Jackie, but I don't have a real problem with the riverbed. Maybe the line where the water meets the grass is a bit dark but since I am a big fan of rocks I kind of like it.
Also, I have a hunch this looks better in person.
But, I will trust your judgement about it all Tom. All in all I like this. Wonderful colors!

Sandy

Tom Christopher
08-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Thanks, Jackie for pointing this out. My intention was to focus on the tee line and how the sunlight brings out the leaves. I see now the foregound competes and distracts... I think I prefer the cropped version...but I'm going to study it for a while and work on it tonight... Tom

Khadres
08-11-2004, 02:31 PM
I don't DISLIKE the riverbed, but also don't see that it adds anything. The crop does focus on the trees better, I think. In any case, it's another lovely painting...you've become a real master of these!

Grasshopper
08-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Besides loving the painting, I absolutely love those little kinky lines where the sun hits the trees. They're superb.

lawsportraits
08-12-2004, 09:04 AM
Those trees are magnificent!!!! I'm curious about your process. Would you care to share? I would particularily like to see your underpainting.

Thank you

Heather

Tom Christopher
08-12-2004, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=lawsportraits]Those trees are magnificent!!!! I'm curious about your process. Would you care to share? I would particularily like to see your underpainting.
Hello Heather -thanks for commenting-- I have found that Wallis paper has made it easier to bring out the shape of the trees and their leaves as the paper will accept several layers of pigment . I will be happy to pm you with the technique I use or post it on WC if other members request.
I worked some more on my last pastel --this is the latest version. Any comments welcome
Thank You Tom

jackiesimmonds
08-12-2004, 04:04 PM
quick ... sign it, frame it, sell it.

:clap:

Jackie

chewie
08-12-2004, 04:13 PM
consider it requested, pleeease??! would love to see it!! nice painting!

lawsportraits
08-12-2004, 04:40 PM
[I][QUOTE=lawsportraits]
Hello Heather -thanks for commenting-- I have found that Wallis paper has made it easier to bring out the shape of the trees and their leaves as the paper will accept several layers of pigment . I will be happy to pm you with the technique I use or post it on WC if other members request.

Thank You Tom

PLEASE DO!!! You can PM me or post it here, if you wish.

Thanks

Heather

Khadres
08-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Definitely requested! Your mini demos are always good! I'm with Jackie, frame it and sell it!