PDA

View Full Version : S&T Wednesday, 11.8.04

Andee
08-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Hiya,

I was actually already heading for bed, but I couldn't stand it that I hadn't made anything the entire day, so I just put this together - and finished it right before midnight. Silver, freshwater pearls, faceted glass.

Good night!

Gingerbiscuit
08-10-2004, 07:10 PM
Very pretty Andee! Wednesday here too now (by 9 minutes!). I'm off to bed now. See y'all tomorrow! Night!

Lori-O
08-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Lookie! Lookie!

I present my first glazed beads fired in my own kiln!! Wooooo!

I learned so much just from one firing, some good, some not so good. I ended up putting too much glaze on the beads, which made a "drip mark" as the extra flowed with gravity. I will have to try again and if it still happens then maybe I'll have to recalibrate my controller settings. I also learned that if there's any glaze in the bead hole it's pretty much a gonner.

The colors are magnificent! The big round focal (approx. 22mm hole-to-hole) is a beautiful peacock with a silver sheen.

Onward and upward to raku! ...well, at least before winter. :cool: (When I told my dad about the coffee can he said "I don't think that's LEGAL!" ROTFL!! :D

Ahhh, Dear Dads. I think my adventerous persuits are too much for mine. :p

BlueBuddha
08-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Ooo, Andee, beautiful necklace. The colors on the glass are really brilliant.

Congrats, Lori on your beads; they look great. Woo-hoo!

McDuck
08-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Andee - Very very pretty!

Lori - Well it's about time! Welcome to the ranks of the ceramic artists :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :) As for the bead holes and glaze, after the bead is dry prior to putting on the wire/ mandrel into the kiln, I run my dremel with a diamond bit through it (I use bisque beads) so as not to lose beads to being stuck. When this does occur, I hold them andrel close to the bead with pliers and hold the bead much like a glass one and wiggle it until it comes off. Once in a great while i cut the rod to save the bead. lol If you are getting drip marks, then you are glazing them too much. Try one less coat or thinner coats. Probably not a callibrator problem. I still do it. LOL

Very nice beadies!!!!!!

one tired McDuck

MadameKali
08-10-2004, 11:49 PM
WOOHOO for homemade beads. Now you can make me some ;) (JUST KIDDING!!!) Andee, your necklace is pretty, especially for a "I just threw this together" ensemble--I wish stuff I just threw together looked like that!!

MAN! I have not one, not two, but THREE pieces to show--but stupid Kodak has their software unavailable, and I lost my CD ages ago!!!! :crying: so I have no way to photograph them!!!!!!

sigh.

Lori-O
08-11-2004, 12:56 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: for super tips, Mary! I just love your morning glories, even when they're black. I got a nice black matte I'm anxious to try.

Lovely lovelies everyone!

Have a nice day!

Mme. Kali.. I'd love to send you some beads to see what you would do with them.. soon I hope! Hey, that sounds like a great group project, huh? Exchange a bead or whatever and have them finish it and keep it. What do you think? Has this been done in the WAF?

TheBlueBetween
08-11-2004, 06:13 AM
Andee, beautiful as always :) Thanks for posting your "studio" shots the other day, now I can picture where you just "throw" all this beautiful stuff together. I'm so sad to think that you may not be able to make glass beads for much longer though - your beads are great.

Lori! I love the color on that focal - great job with your first beads! Raku sounds fun - I love the look of that :)

Here is a necklace that I finished up last night once my blue beads cooled down - I'm really pleased with it :) Peyote tube and lampwork and silver.

Oskadis
08-11-2004, 07:02 AM
Beautiful set Andee!

Congrats on the beads Lori. They are very pretty :)

Pam - I simply *love* that focal. And the rope matches it perfectly.

Here some itty bitty earrings I made last night and my chimaera lavalier. Managed at last to finish it so it sits properly on the decollté (winkeywinkey Sarah ;) )

All brass with vintage glass. First earhangers feature czech volcanic beads as focals. Please notice the swarovski accents as eyes of the vintage griffins.

beclectic
08-11-2004, 07:35 AM
<snip>
MAN! I have not one, not two, but THREE pieces to show--but stupid Kodak has their software unavailable, and I lost my CD ages ago!!!! :crying: so I have no way to photograph them!!!!!!

sigh.

What kind of Kodak? I used to have a Kodak digital that died but I think I still have the software. Let me know and I'll email it to you if it is the right software. :)

Andee - love that cobalt with pearls.
Lori - pretty beadies. I especially like that flat tapered rectangular bead.
Pam - that big blue focal is really pretty with that design. Did you have to make another? I know you were worried about the color and that seems to match perfectly.
Oskadis - where do you find all that great vintage brass and glass? Your designs are an intriguing combination of old style materials reinterpreted with new designs.

Jacinthe
08-11-2004, 08:17 AM
Andee - That necklace shines in the simplicity of it! Awesome!
Lori - Congrats with your first own fired glazed beads! they are very pretty
Pam - Amazing peyote work and the focal is fabulous
Karen - What can I say? The necklace looks fabulous, did before you fixed, even more so now that it lays right. The earrings are all pretty, my favs are the red top one and the purple one.

Here is what I finished this morning, the three semi-matching bracelets and earrings for me, and the two other class mothers (also my dear friends here).

Handmade lentil beads in the bracelets, along with the ivory spacers, lentil beads and rounds in the earrings are handmade by me as well, the dangles have real turquoise on them, swarovski crystals and sterling silver daisy spacers. The three strands of the seed beads between the lampwork beads are strung on nymo thread.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2004/20424-bracelets3.jpg

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

Oskadis
08-11-2004, 08:42 AM
Yummy yummy yummy, Sarah! :)

McDuck
08-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Pam, I wanna learn peyote stitch too! That is so pretty and would look so wonderful on MY NECK! hehehe :evil:

Karen, as always your work is lovely! That red sure jumps out at you.

Sarah, pretty pretty matched sets! You have been a busy girl!

AS for me, nuttin honey :p

-Mary

earthenwood
08-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Wow great work everyone! I just wanted to give a special shout out to Lori! Congrats on your newly fired beads! Now the obsession and experimentation begins! See, Its not so scary! Your beads look great!

Andee
08-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks you all! :)

Lori - nice beads, for some reason I like most the one in the bottom left corner!

Susie - bummer about your camera. Can't you download the software from the Kodak-website?

Pam - thanks! :) I love your necklace, and especially the focal - a perfect match!!

Karen, great work! And WOW for that necklace, that is especially stunning!!

Sarah - cute sets, and what a nice idea! :)

Peg
08-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Andee, beautiful as always :) Thanks for posting your "studio" shots the other day, now I can picture where you just "throw" all this beautiful stuff together. I'm so sad to think that you may not be able to make glass beads for much longer though - your beads are great.

Lori! I love the color on that focal - great job with your first beads! Raku sounds fun - I love the look of that :)

Here is a necklace that I finished up last night once my blue beads cooled down - I'm really pleased with it :) Peyote tube and lampwork and silver.

Pam, I really like this. It is a winner. Great color matching. Peg M

Lori-O
08-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Thanks, Melanie! That means a lot coming from you, another one of my inspirations! Soon I hope to have my own clay creations. I have to keep telling myself "One step at a time!" (Darn!) Oh, the one on my photo's bottom right is a "Kalera" shape except this one has a bad bump from the extra glaze. :rolleyes:

Sarah - Those are really beautiful. I love the color and how you used the multi strands of seeds between lentils. Very cool idea.

Pam - I always love your pretties - so classy. I'm going to take a little class on spirial stich soon and I'm very excited. I never thought I'd want to stitch seed beads but I've just been so inspired.

Andee - I love that necklace and how you use chain.

Karen - What a BEAUTIFUL finding for that focal! You put it to good use!

I hope I got everybody somewhere along the line! Thank you all for your kindness!

Penguintrax
08-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Flower chain kit from Urbanmaille and earrings made with the leftovers using some dichro drops from Eisterglass bought ages ago.

THEN - a bridesmaid set (1 of 4) in montana Swarovski, Swarovski rondelles and fw pearls with sterling.

Now I can get back to my Ladybug Exchange stuff! :cool:

Great work, everyone! :clap:

TheBlueBetween
08-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Thank you everyone! I don't think one of my lampwork beads has ever received so much praise! I got lucky with one of them Barb - of the 6 I managed to make only this one matched in color - it was one of the two where I realized I was using the wrong frit and switched. The other beads came out nice too (I think) but not the right color. But I'm SURE I can find seed beads to match them all!

Karen all your pieces are great but I really like the purple and brass together - who knew it went so well together!

Sarah great job mixing and matching all those ingredients - a perfect recipe! I'm sure your class moms will be happy with them!

Edit: Oh Barbara you snuck in some pretties while I was posting! I particularly like the chandeleir danglies :)

Helen Simon
08-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Wonderful Jewels, Artists!! And Clay Beads, too!! Can we do clay in our glass kilns? I wanna...like I need something else to do...love the look! Here's a set I made yesterday, modeled on my not quite life-size mannequin Mercy. They are big beads, around an inch. Good day all, Love, Helen

lizo
08-11-2004, 02:41 PM
Hi!

Thank you everyone for welcoming into the wearable art fray!

Okay. You wanted to see pictures, here ya go!

I made these with some furnace beads that I got off eBay, and some black glass beads with some cool iridescent effects on them. I made them simple, because I'm just getting back into the swing of things. The earrings are made with sterling silver. I made the bracelet with strechy cord- Opelon. I'm not sure that I like it with the strechy stuff. I'm waiting for some sterling silver findings that I ordered something like 2 weeks ago!!!! Man, I'm ordering from Blue Mud from now on.

Here ya go! Any opinions- likes or dislikes- would be great. I love constructive criticism. Okay. I'm trying to insert a picture- we'll see how it goes!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/lizonl/bracelet-and-earrings.gif

Thanks!

Liz

McDuck
08-11-2004, 02:49 PM
barbara very nice work, all of them!

helen - as always garden fresh from you! What cute head too! Still waiting for my adoption papers though... :D

liz - that is a cute set, i like black, it is so slimming *rofl* yeah i am stupid today.

All I have is a backyard full of cement border and flowers to show off. ANd most of them arent even flowering anymore! *bad flowers* But my turtle roses are beautiful!

-Mary the tired McDuck

beclectic
08-11-2004, 02:51 PM
<snip>All I have is a backyard full of cement border and flowers to show off. ANd most of them arent even flowering anymore! *bad flowers* But my turtle roses are beautiful!

-Mary the tired McDuck

Pictures please, what are turtle roses? Could you post the pictures in Wear Its At? That is if you have pictures of the roses.

Penguintrax
08-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Edit: Oh Barbara you snuck in some pretties while I was posting! I particularly like the chandeleir danglies :)

Thanks, Pam. The findings are from Halstead if you want to try 'em yourself. they have them in vermeil, too now.

The client just picked them ALL up and wrote me a big fat juicy check...off to the bank. Yippee!

Helen - those beads are wonderful.

BabsW
08-11-2004, 04:18 PM
I'm here sort of late in the day but this is my last project. The clasp is still to be decided.

This is a special design for a friend and culinary arts professional. I hope she likes it.

Barbara

McDuck
08-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Oh my garsh barbara that is so cute! I bet your friend will adore it!

-Mary

debkauz
08-11-2004, 05:44 PM
Boy this is a creative group today! I wanted everything that i looked at! Nice work all. When DH gets home I will try to download a few things that I made today. Not my best day. I did a stick pearl necklace and when I tugged on the ends after I crimped them, they BOTH came off! I have never even had one come off before. :rolleyes: It did fine the second time, even with my furry friend Dancer's help stringing. She always makes things SO easy for me...not.
Lovely work all. S&T is always a treat to look at for me!

Deb

McDuck
08-11-2004, 05:44 PM
Okay, here is a bracelet I made and cant remember if I showed it already or not. it is a handmade ceramic bead on a hard rubber bracelet with sterling silver findings. These are soooooo nice!

-Mary

Oskadis
08-12-2004, 05:04 AM
Oskadis - where do you find all that great vintage brass and glass? Your designs are an intriguing combination of old style materials reinterpreted with new designs.

Hi,

I am constantly on the lookout for those pretties, be it in all Ebays around the world where I know the language, be it in my beadstore (they buy up old stock from German companies) or in the lots and lots of small shops specializing in vintage clothing/lace/jewelry.
This does not mean that I take apart old jewels to reuse the materials though. I hate that. I am always after unused materials.

Have a nice day!

Andee
08-12-2004, 05:12 AM
Wow, even more additions after my last comments! :)

Barbara - pretties! I love the necklace, very elegant! And the chain bracelet!

Helen - gorgeous work, as always!

Liz - very nice! I'm not so much into black jewelry, but this looks great!

BabsW - that is so cute! Your friend will love it!

Mary - very cute bracelet. It reminds me of hair ribbons I had when I was a kid... :)