PDA

View Full Version : Copper on Blue

SweetBabyJ
08-10-2004, 01:36 PM
I can't get a decent pic of this for love ner money, it seems. I've a semi-pro photographer coming over to morrow to take slides for me, hopefully she will get truer colours. The dark areas read a bit red here, but it was that or have the brass and background read green. There's more a purple in the dark copper- it works, anyway. About 16" x16"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2004/9169-copperonblueul.jpg

Currently working MUCH larger (about 34" x 22" or something) on more glads and sun and wood- I'm beginning to not like red at all.

Dark_Shades
08-10-2004, 03:49 PM
another Master Piece me thinks..... love it :clap:

aurora70
08-10-2004, 03:50 PM
Beautifully done...love the contrasting colors Julie..

Monica

Dark_Shades
08-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Ps, just run your eye over the bottom left elipse and thrown shadows..... if your'e happy with them thats fine

SweetBabyJ
08-10-2004, 04:50 PM
The front vaseline glass one, Dawn, was low on the right, I straightened it and adjusted the left to it; the shadows look kinda "scrunched" here- not "in real" though, so I think that may be a by-product of resizing and the script here. Same with the "shelf" under the carafe- it looks notched here in back, but it's not- there's a subtle shadow/hue shift there.

Thank you, Ladies- I've done a few things lately and soon need to think about getting rid of them (to make room for more).

Khadres
08-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Here it is summertime and you're busily doing indoor still lifes! Ah, well, they're beooteaful anyway! Maybe you can plein air during the dead of winter then? :D

PS-- I know, I know, I haven't gotten out there amongst the bugs and beastlies either!

Pinecone Conniff
08-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Geez girlfriend...this is awesome! I love the dramatic light you are doing on your still life paintings...it really gets my attention!! :cool:
Annette

K Taylor-Green
08-10-2004, 08:25 PM
Very dramatic, Julie. It's taken me this long to figure out what it is about your work that appeals to me. And that's it. The sense of drama in most of your paintings. Love this one.

Dyin
08-10-2004, 10:17 PM
looks awesome...really like the strong light you've been using lately...great contrast! :clap:

SweetBabyJ
08-10-2004, 10:55 PM
I suck at landscapes, Sooz- maybe one day I'll try again, but right now I prefer to just acknowledge I suck at landscapes. Makes it all so much easier to accept- lol. Thanks- I like still lifes- litle bits of time they feel like.

Thank you Annette, and thank you Kate. It was the drama I liked, too. Well, that and making copper look like copper when it was reflecting blue- quite a challenge there. Tip: You can't blend there- lol.

Yep Sue- so many artists say "I want to capture the subtle light on the shapes of yada-yada-yada...." Not me. I want to catch the explosive light on EVERYTHING. I want light that dazzles and gleams and sparkles. I want light that shows off. (Not that I'm an exhibitionist or anything.... :rolleyes: :angel: )

prestonsega
08-11-2004, 03:28 AM
Well you know I have to have a nit pic so I'll just blurt it out...the bowls need better anchoring....on my monitor they're floating.(could be the less than perfect image reproduction you mentioned not translating the painting adequately.)

With that out of the way, I'd like to cangrats you again on the glass and reflective surfaces you have become so adept in painting. Kate, you are right about the dramatic lighting being an identifiable element in SBJ's recent works. I hadn't been able to put my finger on it till you mentioned it. The complimentary color combination is working for you, Julie! You have to be proud of this one. :clap:

PS Some of the new folks may buy that*&^% you are spouting about not being able to paint landscapes, but you forget some of us have seen your landscapes..."you can fool some of the people some of the time.........."

jackiesimmonds
08-11-2004, 05:15 AM
I am also a bit worried about the drawing, but as you said earlier, things might have been squished when this image was reproduced for WC.

If you measure the glass widthwise, and take a centre line down thro the middle of the glass (the little one in the front), you end up off-centre thro the base...it is wider on the right.

Also, the same applies to the big jug...I took the centre of the copper neck, and drew it down, and then the base is too wide on the right.

On my monitor, this gives the impression of the objects being a bit skewed to the left.

Seems a shame, when you have created SUCH beautiful copper and glass. Hopefully, it is only the camera doing a distortion thing.

J

paloma
08-11-2004, 06:24 AM
Superb rendering & a sense of drama in this sets it apart- just love that shade of blue perfect compliment for the copper. Excelent work! Cheers Alexandra

meowmeow
08-11-2004, 12:06 PM
BEautiful glass and copper...wonderful colors too.
I know how things get weird when you resize...this probably looks incredible in person!

Sandy

bnoonan
08-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Superb - not only have you risen to the challenge of copper and metallic surfaces and glass and it's reflections and translucency - you've mastered it!!!

Well done.

Best of luck with the professional photographer.

barb :clap: :clap:

SweetBabyJ
08-11-2004, 01:32 PM
I found the neatest little quote here on learning 35mm photography (which, even though I'm using digital, is dealing with all the same sh-- errrr... stuff) that pretty much maddens me: "This is what learning to use a 35mm camera sounds like to me: Stand on one leg, turn the F stop 30 degrees less than your hat size and times it by your bra size to find your depth of field, but only aim your camera at the east on every other monday of the month of the blue moon if, and only if, there are no clouds on the horizon in the west.....and only during El Nino." I think she may have forgotten the part about shaving your right leg JUST to the knee, but given the complexity of her instructions, I s'pose it can be forgiven.

But- I persevered. I messed with every setting I could find on this camera, and then figured out ANOTHER trick: Quit trying to fill the frame with as much painting as possible and that way, there won't be so much distortion when it is resized!. Seems simple, doesn't it? Trust me- you gotta be doing something absolutely mindless- like brushing your teeth- to figure it out.

Better colours, and a lot less distortion, I think.

Thanks y'all- I'm well-pleased with it (now I need a swift kick to actually FINISH this red one- I've already got the next one going in my head- and am bored with "colouring it in").

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2004/9169-copperonblueul.jpg

PS: Do y'all want an article on painting glass? Actually, it would be painting reflections, I s'pose. It really is "just that easy" (else I'd not be able to do it)

Kathryn Wilson
08-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Julie, this looks so different from the first version - I am seeing a dark grey rather than a dark blue on my monitor - I rather fancied the blue - :(

Other than that, I think you did a great job on the copper and glass - :clap:

I think it's about time we had an Article on painting glass - PM Carly as she is in charge of Articles for the forum - then she can help you get it into the right format, etc.

SweetBabyJ
08-12-2004, 02:13 PM
The background lies somewhere in-between, Kat- it's a bit bluer, but not so blue as the first pic. I sacrificed that hue to get the copper, brass and glass right in the photo, since the blue isn't as necessary as the light/dark pattern.

Thanks, it's a nice looking piece- now I hope the photographer I had over yesterday got good pics for slides.

prestonsega
08-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Julie...I hadn't seen the 2nd photograph of this work... I guess it was the image reproduction that was causing the "floating" of the bowls...they now seem to be anchored just right. It is really unfair to the artist for me to make such harsh judgements about images that I see on the screen...there is no way the computer can exact the same info the origional gives. (Not sure why, but the program quit sending me email notices of additional posts in this thread...glad I ventured back into it on my own. )

I for one vote for an article on glass/ reflection painting!

SweetBabyJ
08-14-2004, 04:31 PM
Ha! The file size is originally something like 2,000 pixels wide, couple that with me messing with it in photo-editing clarifying this and adjusting hue levels here and there, then a final unsharp mask and gaussian blur before beginning to resize down, and voila`! There's no way it's the same image!!

What worked best was to take a pic from far enough away that the painting only filled about 2/3 of the viewfinder, and THEN crop it down- this gave me fewer pixels to have to reduce. It's a bit grainy, but oh well.

Thank you, Preston, the first pic had so much colour adjustment on it, it was pretty distorted.