PDA

View Full Version : A fishie casualty...opinions needed

SPIglass
08-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Well, I was heartbroken when I opened the kiln this morning to find that my latest fish had two cracks in her tailfin. She is my best work to date and now she is not saleable. :crying: I'm so sorry to keep teasing you guys with pics of fish that aren't for sale, but you've just gotta see her. She is gorgeous, even if I do say so myself.

Here's my delima, do I leave her alone, or do I take a chance a try to fix her at the risk of losing her completely. I'm so torn...what do you guys think? What's your opinion?

Here she is...the diva herself, complete with beauty mark. There are lots of pics, so please be patient. She is worth the wait. :p

Paulette

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2004/10616-2BEFish1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2004/10616-2BEFish5.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2004/10616-2BEFish4.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2004/10616-2BEFish3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2004/10616-2BEFish2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2004/10616-2BEFish_crack.jpg

froggee501
08-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Oh no! And she's so gorgeous too....

Have you ever repaired beads before? If not, I would just say that this one was meant to stay with you, or be sent to someone who will love it anyway, cracks and all. :D Hopefully, that's all the stress that was in it, and the small cracks relieved it and it's fine now... I think it's still perfectly wonderful.

SPIglass
08-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Thanks so much for the compliments! Yeah, I think she's just meant to stay with me. She's in danger of losing part of her tailfin. The crack has gotten worse and there's even a small piece of the fin missing at the beginning of the worst crack. I have not repaired a bead before, but I have had success putting a bead that wasn't finished in a hotter kiln (1150 degrees) and coming back to finish it later. It was just a regular bead though, not something sculptural with attachments. Oh well...it's just so upsetting to spend so much time (1 hour & 45 minutes just torch time) and put so much of myself into something, have it turn out gorgeous and then not be able to share her, other than in pictures. She's so much prettier in person.

Paulette

GinaJ
08-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Oh, no! And what a beautiful fish...she is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Alan Cross
08-10-2004, 02:17 PM
Great work on your fish thats too bad about the crack.... :(
Alan

glassfreek
08-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Dear Paulette...rats! I have repaired my fish with a 90% success rate but it takes 3-4 hours to heat her up slow...and off the mandrel you would have to put back on mandrel, let dry 2-3 days...clean off all on glass then heat up. Make sure you take 3-4 minutes of slowly heating up the whole fish to slight glow before blasting the crack out. Start with the end of the crack where it stops and work back to end of tail or the sucker might run! It is risky....might just blow up too...happens with glass. I say enjoy the way she is...but it is a great learning thing. I try to check really carefully before taking off mandrel cause that makes it way easy...just pop back in kiln that morning and start a little late...luckily I rarely have that anymore but does happen! Well,good luck, she sure is a beauty and I am not in a rush for mine.......even a cracked one......! Hugs Deb

saucy
08-10-2004, 03:59 PM
She is gorgeous. You do put a lot of time into your little divas. I'm sorry about the broken fin but I would be proud to own her anyhow. She just adorable.

Lara
08-10-2004, 07:39 PM
OH NO Paulette, she is beautiful and I love her beauty mark. So sorry to see her fin cracked.

Lara

nicker
08-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Paulette, that is so sad. She is one cool fishie. I think you should keep her she has tons of character. I can't give advice on fixing her as I've never tried it sorry.

eyeskatermum
08-11-2004, 12:23 AM
We all have slight flaws......I'd say she just didn't want to leave you.

I don't make fish too often, my husband laughs until he cries. Really bursts the ego, ya know.

She's beautiful, just beautiful.

SPIglass
08-11-2004, 12:53 AM
Thank you to every one who responded and all the compliments! I have decided to leave her as is and keep here with me. I actually became very attached to her while I was making her, so I'd like to think that she just didn't want to leave me (like Debi said). I've been beating myself up all day about that crack and wish I hadn't put that big old arrow on the pic pointing it out. I think that actually made me feel worse about it. I was just trying to show the detail so that anyone who could offer advice could see the extent of the damage.

Well, I'm going to stop beating myself up about this now and be happy that she gets to stay here and keep me company while I make lots and lots of fishie cousins to be adopted into loving homes. ;)

Paulette

Virginia L.
08-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Hi, whewwwwwwwwwwwwwww, so glad you decided to keep her...She really is a Diva, even with a lttle crack - you may want to put a little drop of crazy glue on her to help her not expand her little imperfection...I have a few fishies that are staying home forever - my recent fishies are SO huge, they sometimes come out with a little imperfection and get to stay home in my showcase. I tried to "heal" one that I really LOVED and it is still sitting in the bottom of my water bowl, to remind me to NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!! - I DROPPED one yesturday at the Art Glass Studio in Alberta, yesturday - I nearly cried!!!! She is SO cute - GREAT JOB!!! - Virginia

dgg112
08-11-2004, 03:58 PM
Well, I'm going to stop beating myself up about this now and be happy that she gets to stay here and keep me company while I make lots and lots of fishie cousins to be adopted into loving homes. ;)

Paulette

Oh Paulette she's beautiful! She can be your own little guardian angel-fish and supervise all the new fish you're going to be making!! :clap:

semiabstract
08-12-2004, 05:01 PM
Beautiful fishie, flaws and all.

I think starting a "Glass-quarium" would be fitting. And you could put other fishies that wanted to stay with you in there too.