PDA

View Full Version : Painted Rose - Scratchboard

lorna12
08-10-2004, 04:59 AM
Hello peoples,

It's been quite awhile since I posted in here, but I finally have finished this piece that belongs in this category. I had intended to do a WIP but I was just too busy, however I did scan it along the way and created an animation of it from start to finish. Comments and especially critiques are very welcome.

8X10 on Clayboard Black using transparent clayboard inks for the color....carmine, yellow and a touch of ultramarine blue. Took 197 hours to complete.

First the finished piece followed by the animation.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2004/11613-Painted_Rose_sm_Final.jpg

I'm sorry I didn't know how to make this bigger and still keep it under the 100K limit.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2004/11613-Rose_Animation.gif

Penny220
08-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Wow, this is beautiful. Your rose is alive! Your efforts have certainly paid off.

HRH Goldie
08-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Well I don't know how you got this effect or what process you used but I love it. The rose has such a velvety textured look to it and the animation is really cool.
I don't know if the image is darker than the original because it appears quite dark on screen.

Lots of clappies for this :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: - just wish you'd posted step by step so I could follow all the way through.
You'll just have to do another especially for me LOL!

Christine

Deano
08-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Absolutely gorgeous and stunning, with a large dash of mystery thrown in! I get the impression that the beautiful red rose is rising out of the darkness. Tha soft edges add to this effect. The soon to fall dew drop is marvelous. You are great in your craft.

Regards, Deano

sassybird
08-10-2004, 01:53 PM
You have shown me what really can be done with scratch board. This is gorgeous, and I hope you put a hefty price tag on this one.

lorna12
08-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Penny, Deano and Sassybird...Thankyou so much for looking and your lovely compliments! Sassy... I will put a good price, thankyou for thinking it should have one! ;) :D

Christine, it is a bit dark on the monitor....I took it into my photo program and lightened it a bit....also here are a couple of closeups of the work, part of the step by step I was going to do. Sorry about that :o Thankyou for your kind words! :)

Lightened version (at least I hope it shows up lighter,lol)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2004/11613-Painted_Rose_Final_Small.jpg

Closeup to show scratching and colors used...I applied the yellow first, let that dry, then followed with a mixture of carmine and yellow...about 4 to 1 carmine to yellow.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2004/11613-Closeup_Rose_Colors_sm.jpg

This is the same area finished

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2004/11613-Rose_Drop_closeup_small.jpg

Looking in the preview the colors are closer to real life but not quite there...it has more of a glow to it irl.

Mary Woodul
08-10-2004, 03:13 PM
This is beautiful Lorna. I hadn't seen this technique before. The with that black background is so striking and whar a way to display it!!!! ;)

lorna12
08-10-2004, 04:30 PM
Thankyou so much Carlos, I'm glad you liked it! :)

paintfool
08-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Stunning! Thanks for sharing this!

lorna12
08-11-2004, 01:35 AM
Thankyou Cheryl, I appreciate your taking the time to look and comment. :)

Kalibabe
08-11-2004, 05:04 AM
Ok, my gob has been smacked!

This is utterly amazing and beautiful.

I could never imagine having the patience to do something that is obviously so time consuming.
Truly beautiful and damn clever!!!

lisilk
08-11-2004, 06:08 AM
Geez Lorna...another disappointing finish for you I guess ? LOL. Anything you don't do masterfully ? You have an exceptional eye and hand. Just breathtaking ! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Li

P.S. Can you slow down a little in your learning curve so the rest of us can catch up ? LOL.

Jakeally
08-11-2004, 07:17 AM
Absolutely stunning Lorna :clap: :clap: :clap: Just perfect :D

HRH Goldie
08-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Lorna - Thanks so much for taking the time to lighten in your photo programme. It's much appreciated as is the posts on your different stages.

I know this is probably a silly question with an altogether obvious answer but here goes:- Do you scratch the image out on plain scratchboard and then paint over? I ask because I simply love this image soooo much and I would love to try and get this effect even if its just with a mighty tube of mars black plastered on to a canvas lol! :D

Christine

lorna12
08-11-2004, 02:54 PM
Thankyou so much for all the kind words Kali, Li, Chris and Christine! :)

Li, :D as for slowing down....that made me laugh! I'm too old to slow down....I might run out of time! ;) :D

Christine....yes...I scratch the whole rose out in all the values on clayboard black and could have left it like that...which is what I usually do...but this time I painted over it with transparent inks made for scratch....in some areas after it dried I scratched again and reapplied the color.

Hope that helps....if you try this method in oils on canvas I sure would like to see how it comes out. People have done this as kids, using crayons on cardboard, covering it with black and scratching off for a multicolored effect.

Penny220
08-11-2004, 03:26 PM
If you were to compare the scratchboard colors to any other paint/liquid what would you compare them to? Water, ink, milk, heavy cream, golden fluids? I'm wondering if they are the same consistancy of airbrush paints and what the difference might be. I have recently been using claybord with my airbrush.

lorna12
08-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Hi Penny, I had this all typed out yesterday, hit the submit button and that's when WC! went down for maintenance :rolleyes: Anyway......

The ink is thin, somewhere between water and milk, but highly saturated with color...extremely vibrant color. It can be diluted with water, too.
I have to tell you the colors are the most gorgeous transparent colors I've ever used. It would work great for your airbrushing on claybord...they are Claybord Inks by Ampersand, who makes the Claybord Black I use and probably the claybord you use, too, right? It says on the packaging that it is ideal for airbrushing, calligraphy, in technical pens as well as painting. The package I got has 6 colors including black, sepia, lt. green, ultra. blue, yellow and carmine and has a color mixing chart in it.

Hope that helps. :)

dabblerdot
08-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Wow, Lorna, what a visual delight !! And that animation is delightful !! I think you are as much a master of the computer stuff as of the scratch board, and that's saying a lot indeed !! (still love all your situation-perfect smilie collection !) Your eyes and brain and hands work so intricately that they are doggone near a national treasure. If Betty Grable could insure her gams for a million dollars years ago with Lloyd's of London, seems to me your skills must be nearing the multi-millions mark !

lorna12
08-13-2004, 01:33 AM
Lauren, you sure have a way with words!! :D Thankyou so much! I really don't know all that much about computers...this is my first and I've had it about 2.5 years. Some of it I still know nothing about, but the stuff that interested me I learned fast...lol

myorca
08-13-2004, 02:08 PM
Hi Lorna,

I cant believe I missed this!!! WONDERFUL JOB!!!! I am going to have to try those inks as well to see what I can get out of them. Havent had the best luck with colors as of yet.
My wife is amazed at how your scratches have been coming out and looks forward to seeing what you come up with next. :)

Great job!

Bob

lorna12
08-14-2004, 03:11 AM
Thankyou Bob and Bob's wife! :D Bob, you'll love those inks...they are way better than acrylic paint or watercolor. The colors are awesome and there's no problem if it goes on the black part....it may show slightly while you're working on it, but once you spray when you're done it disappears completely. This was the first piece I did with them and now I can't wait to try again.

Penny220
08-14-2004, 05:21 AM
Hi Penny, I had this all typed out yesterday, hit the submit button and that's when WC! went down for maintenance :rolleyes: Anyway......

The ink is thin, somewhere between water and milk, but highly saturated with color...extremely vibrant color. It can be diluted with water, too.
I have to tell you the colors are the most gorgeous transparent colors I've ever used. It would work great for your airbrushing on claybord...they are Claybord Inks by Ampersand, who makes the Claybord Black I use and probably the claybord you use, too, right? It says on the packaging that it is ideal for airbrushing, calligraphy, in technical pens as well as painting. The package I got has 6 colors including black, sepia, lt. green, ultra. blue, yellow and carmine and has a color mixing chart in it.

Hope that helps. :)

LOL Lorna, I missed your reply in the mix of the WC going back up from the maintainance :) I never paid any attention to the inks before. Yes, I use the same scratchbord both black and white. After seeing your rose I looked in the book regarding the inks and there they were. $8.28 for 7 - 1/2oz bottles. I'm going to have to try them now. Thanks

aprilmay
08-15-2004, 12:31 AM
Just got a chance to take a look at this lorna - absolutely beautiful! I'm sure it would have been wonderful if left in the black/white state, but wow is it impressive with the color added! Stunning!

lorna12
08-17-2004, 12:46 AM
Thankyou aprilmay.....yes, I quite liked it in black and white and really had a moment when it came to painting it...it was scary, thinking that I could ruin it after all the hours I had into it, but nothing ventured nothing gained, right? I'm glad you like it! :D

Vegas Art Guy
08-27-2004, 12:11 PM
197 hours? >faint< It certainly paid off. That is way beyond the limits of my patience. Love the colors and details you put in!

msue
08-28-2004, 02:03 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :wave: Now that I have picked my jaw up off the floor, I'll ditto are the raving comments everyone has posted. I've signed up to take an introductory class in scratch art, and if I get something that slightly resembles any I'll be surprised. What a goal to set to create something this gorgeous.

lorna12
08-30-2004, 03:49 AM
Thankyou Greg and Msue for looking and you very kind comments. :wave:

Msue....good luck with your scratching! :D