PDA

View Full Version : "Wizards Delight" Illustration WIP

roger41
08-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum..... and this is my first posting here.... Iv'e been enjoying the artwork here for several weeks, though...........This is a drawing thats a commission....it may lead to an illustration series for a book later on. I'm about 70% done with it. It's pencil on Bristol board 20"x30", (very large) so Iv'e also loaded a closer detail of it. I have been working on it for a few days in the evenings at home. I'm to the point now were it feels sort of like I'm running in mudd, so I thought that posting it as a WIP both here and in the Fantasy Forum would give me some motivation in finishing it. I can't just put it away because I have got to deliver it in about 10 days to the Client. It's supposed to be an illustration of a group of wizards admiring a Fairy after her emerging from her cacoon with butterfly wings. The style of the piece is late 19th century old world illustration. with my own twists added in..........any comments are welcome........thanks for looking :)

Roger

designbyjen
08-09-2004, 09:38 PM
that is huge for a pencil! and a huge amount of work involved! all hail the dilligent!
it's hard to comment on a WIP like this cuz all surfaces haven't been touched yet...but i can express the importance of how the fairy needs to 'pop' by the time you get finished. def. need to have strong contrast in that area. IMO i almost picture her 'glowing' so the dark/light isn't so harsh around something so delicate & new.
what do you have 2 share w/ us technique wise? obviously you're doing some major masking as you move around it so you don't get major smearing. are you blending everything or are you doing any crosshatching or other methods here...hard to tell in picts.
;) jen

roger41
08-09-2004, 10:13 PM
jen,
Yes........it is a lot of work...LOL. I don't mask....I just use a home-made artist's bridge that I made....it's simply a 3' piece of wood molding with 1/2" thick pieces glued on both ends. My drawing hand hardly ever touches the drawing surface. I use just about anything to blend with , but my fingers, (don't want the oils in my hands to get into the paper) I usually prepare with a couple of sketches......lay out the basic drawing and composition.......then I start building basic shapes and tones. My electric eraser is my best friend....I use it not only for erasing but for highlighting.....and I have been known to stick one of my blending stumps in the end of it for ..........high-speed action :D :D on smaller pieces I like to blend with with my mech. pencils mostly and not stumps, but I have found that not very time effecient on my larger pieces, because it would take me forever to finish them. When money is at stake I use anything and everything that works. I use mech. pencils that range from .3mm to 1.3 mm...no sharpening...just "click..click" and go. Iv'e posted a closer dtail so you can see where I have blended and lifted high-lights............... :D

designbyjen
08-09-2004, 10:56 PM
ah, that detail shot is better.
in hearing the difficulties w/ working so large...aren't you glad you're not upside-down doing the sistene chapel? darn i hope my 'it could be worse' visual gives you some encouragement to press onward (click click-hee hee)
looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
one good thing about doing books...is that you won't have to go so large...as to how large...i'm not sure for pencil but def. not as big as this piece!
:D
~~~jen

Axl
08-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Wow your detail is amazing!!!! I always see your work in fantasy/sci-fi and am always impressed by it :D This is going to turn out great i'm sure - i'll definatley be back to check for updates!

Don't you find working with mechanical pencils to be rather exhausting when covering a large area of work?? I confess sometimes I break out the graphite sticks to cover large areas. You must have the patience of a saint!

AFM159
08-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Hey Roger! Good to have ya! Welcome!

I like the work overall, good narrative, pleasing layout, only one comment - I agree with jen in that the fairy might need to stand out more - my eye goes there, by virtue of the direction of the wizards gaze but if I squint the pattern of lights and darks looses it for me - in other words, she blends in.

I used to use my electric eraser all the time! neat little contraptions! Also, I have a few of those home made artist's tools myself.....

roger41
08-10-2004, 10:27 PM
Hey guys,

Back again with updates............I did a major redo on the fairy..made her more 3D and animated.....as if she were dancing. I also added some background, and worked more on the drawing overall. Iv'e posted a couple of details so that you can see my changes up close........ worked a couple of hours on it tonight, still have much to do :( Thanks for looking :)

designbyjen
08-10-2004, 11:01 PM
the wonders of the electric eraser...i'm gettin visuals of you wearing a gun belt w/ your hands ready to grab the E.E. from the holster ;)
fairy area is a popp'in, now time for all that other grueling work. great progress :D
~~~jen