PDA

View Full Version : cleaning up unfinished pieces

bnoonan
08-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Well I've got a project ahead of me so I thought I'd clear away some unfinished pieces first and see if I can retire them to the closet.

Perhaps you're sick of these but if not - here we go again.

Barb

(both are on wallis paper)

Dark_Shades
08-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Both are great pieces Barb....... love the noses :) ..... especially like the background choice of green for the man, makes it zing..... love her sari, and especially the gold jewellery..... howdyado that? ...... just not so struck on the colour choice or texture of background on that one .......

Kathryn Wilson
08-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Hi Barb! Glad to see these again - :) I like the first one very much - that background really pops next to his hair and face.

On the second one, I have to agree with Dawn, the background needs something. And this may be the scan or photo, but her eyes don't seem quite right, especially the one of the viewer's right - the iris looks too dark.

bnoonan
08-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Oh yeah - I was supposed to work on that eye and I totally forgot!!!

I'll have to figure out what to do for her background. It's been tricky and though I thought I had it nailed - it's just not "popping" or even flattering for her.

Hmmm... guess I'll have to photoshop and see what happens.

Thanks. Barb

bnoonan
08-09-2004, 07:13 PM
Do you like any of these options or should I try to create a scene in the background? I don't want to take away from her sari.

Oh - back to the easel to fix the eyes and I pulled out the old thread just to make sure I remember all the other comments.

Cheers! B

Kathryn Wilson
08-09-2004, 07:28 PM
Boy, I can't make up my mind - they are a definite improvement over the original. When I viewed the thumbnails, the first one to the left drew my eye to it, but when I viewed the last one, I liked that pink next to her face.

hmmm ... let's see what others say.

bnoonan
08-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Kat, I know what you mean - the darker one is actually more dramatic.

B

Kathryn Wilson
08-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Now, if I remember correctly, this woman is watching her lover with someone else? something of that sort - so if she is standing next to a wall, maybe a scumbled color on the pink to indicate a earthen wall, or white-washed wall. I actually liked the pink for something different and it really pops the face color - but the background needs some texture, but not so much to take away from the figure. Hope this makes sense!

bnoonan
08-09-2004, 08:18 PM
Ok Kat - time to put down those romance novels... - tee hee... Actually she's in her wedding attire but I think i initially asked folks to tell me if this model told a story or not - I guess it does for you!!!!

Truth be told she's sitting in a room on a model stand with bunches of paintings and lights around her - but I can make it an earthen wall... :)

I'm still waiting for someone else. I did fix the eye by the way - she doesn't look like Capt. Ron as Sue commented initially.

B

Now, if I remember correctly, this woman is watching her lover with someone else? something of that sort - so if she is standing next to a wall, maybe a scumbled color on the pink to indicate a earthen wall, or white-washed wall. I actually liked the pink for something different and it really pops the face color - but the background needs some texture, but not so much to take away from the figure. Hope this makes sense!

Kathryn Wilson
08-09-2004, 09:03 PM
tee hee ... I think it's the tilt of her head and the direction of her eyes that make me think she is looking around a corner and trying not to be seen. :eek:

Khadres
08-10-2004, 12:41 AM
I think any of those are okay, but a smoother gradient or solidish color works better for me....her clothes, etc. are busy enough for my taste, but then that's just me. I like both protraits very much, tho!

jackiesimmonds
08-10-2004, 02:21 AM
Like the dark green, complementary to the red, works well. Pale pink is too bright, looks like a wall without any shadows on it, and feels like an empty space.

Actually, even if you have worked on that dark eye, I cannot help but feel that the eyes would look nicer and more natural and less distracting if they weren't so "cornered" and were positioned more naturally for the position of her head. But that is a subjective comment. Nevertheless, might be interesting to paint a more naturally-positioned eye on a piece of paper, cut it out, and put it down onto the painting, and see what it would look like.

J

ps I think the man is a wonderful portrait. The background is perfect for colour, both works well from a painterly point of view, and emotionally, it is exotic in colour, adding to the atmosphere.

bnoonan
08-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Sooz - thanks so much - I agree- smoother in this case may be better given all the glitter on her dress.

Jackie - I'll take a closer look at those eyes. I painted this in real life and yet took a photo for reference and details that I didn't miss. I hate messing with it too much and yet I know exactly what you mean - I'm learning more and more the power of a properly painted eye.

Thanks for the compliment on the man. I've painted him before and he's never a disappointment.

Barb

zyffyr
08-11-2004, 01:55 AM
I think the darkest background adds a lot of drama. My first thought was of a dark gold color behind her to tie in with the sari and jewelry and compliment her complexion. That could be turned into a crumbling stucco like wall.......?
Terralyn