PDA

View Full Version : Santa Fe Expo roster

Deborah Secor
08-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Hi--I've gotten so confused and can't remember who all will be at the Expo in Santa Fe this month, so I thought I'd start a new thread so all of us can be in touch.

All I want to know is:

1) Will you be coming and when are you arriving?
2) Will you be able to meet at Kitty's booth (#53) at noon on Friday, August 27?
3) Which workshops/demos are you doing?
4) Would you like to get together for a short paint-out sometime?

Kitty said she'd have a bulletin board of sorts for us to leave messages for one another (let us know what this will be Kitty--an envelope or clipboard, or whatever is doable for you).

What else do we want to coordinate? It might be good to be in touch here before we meet there so no one gets left out! We could dredge up the old thread(s) but then we have so much to wade through...so let's do it here! ;)

---------

So, here are my answers:

1) yes/Friday about 9:00
2) yes I'll be there!
3) none :(
4) possibly, depending on when/where

Deborah

Clare in Texas
08-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Hello

My answers:
1) I expect to be in SF by Tuesday PM. I will be at the Hilton.

2) Yes, I can meet at noon on Friday, although, I have a class beginning at 1 PM (see below)

3) I am taking three classes:
Kitty Wallis on Wednesday(all day) on Color,
Maggie Price on Friday 1 - 4 on Pastels and Photographs, and
Maggie Price on Light in Pastels on Sunday, 9 - 12 AM

4) yes, depending on where and when.

Clare Michelson

Kathryn Day
08-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Hi, here are my answers,

1) will arrive in the evening on Wed. and will be staying at the Hilton.

2) Yes, I can meet at 12 noon at Kitty's booth, but have a class starting at
1PM

3) Thurs - 1-4pm Handell, Fri - 1-4PM Maggie Price, Fri - 5-8PM matt cutting
and Sat - 9-12pm Terry Ludwig

4) My husband will be along, so I will have to wait and see when I get there.

Kathy Day

Artistammy
08-09-2004, 08:52 PM
My answers are exactly like Deborah's. Getting excited!! :clap:

llis
08-09-2004, 08:58 PM
My answers:
1) Arrival: Tuesday PM, staying at the Hilton.

2) Yes: Can meet at booth 53 at noon or before on Friday but have a 1:00 class with Maggie Price.

3) Six Classes:
Wednesday - Kitty Wallis on Wednesday (all day) on Color
Thursday - Joe Anna Arnett at 1:00-4
Friday - Maggie Price at 1:00 and Robert Gamblin at 5-8 PM
Saturday - Caroline Jasper 1:00-4
Sunday - Maggie Price 9 - 12 AM

4) Yes painting on location would be good, depending on where and when.
Sunday afternoon would be good for me. I didn't leave much time and I have to leave Monday morning. :( Thursday morning or Saturday mornng might work if we catch the morning light and hurry back for 1:00 classes. What I was planning was to check out some of the galleries close by.... but hey.... there is always a chance I'll get to come back.... and I'd love to do this. I also know I'll want to walk around the expo and see what's going on with new materials. Wish I could do ALL the workshops. It's going to be so much fun to do these mini workshops with so many different instructors. I also can't wait to meet everyone and would love to have dinner with any that could meet me Tuesday night or any night for that matter.

I can't wait!!

:D

Kitty Wallis
08-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Bryn and I will arrive Tues the 24th and leave Mon the 30th
2) Will you be able to meet at Kitty's booth (#53) at noon on Friday, August 27?
Maybe :)
Wed and Thurs all day classes and portraits in my booth throughout the show. Come by to sign up.
I don't think I'll have time.

"Kitty said she'd have a bulletin board of sorts for us to leave messages for one another (let us know what this will be Kitty--an envelope or clipboard, or whatever is doable for you)."
I expect to have a binder with sheets of note paper, hanging inside the side drape. Any suggestions? Anyone want to take this over?

Khadres
08-10-2004, 01:27 AM
Get there: Wednesday afternoon, the 25th, Red Roof Inn
Can meet at Kitty's booth on Friday, noon, also have afternoon class
Classes: Thursday--Kitty's Pastel Making class
Friday--Handell, Trees
Paint-out: Yes, depending on arrangements (time, etc.)

I'm also wondering if we could get a couple cars together for a mini-tour of picturesque areas we can either quick sketch or take pics of. The paint out will be fun, but I imagine we'll only be able to fit in one, at best...would like to take some reference photos, too.

jackiesimmonds
08-10-2004, 03:10 AM
I arrive the previous weekend, will be at the Sunterra Inn.

Am doing Kitty's Wednesday class - will be good to meet you others there. I must remember to take the list so I can spot you all!

May drop by on the Friday... am with a non-painting chum, so may not have time.

Ditto above re the paint-out.

Jackie

Mikki Petersen
08-10-2004, 06:37 AM
Oh, this is soooo exciting!

1) Yes! Yes! I will be there. Arriving Tuesday afternoon and staying at the Rancheria de SantaFe RV Park. Our departure is flexible as we plan to do a lot of sight seeing and are not big on tight travel schedules.

2) Will definitely be at Kitty's booth at noon on Friday.

3) I'm signed up for Kitty's Wednesday class, Maggie's Friday afternoon class and a watercolor class with Tom Lynch on Satruday morning.

4) I would be very interested in a paint-out

Clare in Texas
08-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Oops

I have a 4th class, Saturday 5-8 with Iva Morris.

Artistammy
08-11-2004, 10:22 AM
Jackie, I do hope I hope I get to meet you in person. I will only be there Fri & Sat as I'm not taking any classes. I have to go back to the cabin Sat evening so we can go home on Sunday.

pjo
08-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Hi all, this is getting soooo close, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

I live about 45 mins away, so...
I have a Wed am class with Paul Murray
And 2 classes on Fri am with Steve Reyes and pm with Maggie Price

Will have 1 hour between class so could meet around 12 at Kitty's booth.

Would love to join or be a part of the paint out, either sat or sun pm would work for me, or it kinda looks like Thurs late afternoon evening is clear for folks.

And Deborah, I'm more than willing to help if you need me to do something. Just pm me or give me a call.

Deborah Secor
08-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Okay, so far it looks like 11--not including Maggie, who is going to be there, of course.

Paula
Tammy
Clare
Mikki
Tammy
Jackie
Sooz
Kitty
Llis
Kathy
Deborah

Anyone else coming???

It draws near!

Deborah

Paula Ford
08-14-2004, 12:11 AM
1) Will you be coming and when are you arriving? Early Wednesday evening

2) Will you be able to meet at Kitty's booth (#53) at noon on Friday, August 27?Yes

Thursday Albert Handell-The Southwest Landscape
Friday - Maggie Price-Creating Realistic Pastel Paintings from Photographs
Sunday - Maggie Price - Creating Light Filled Pastel Landscape Paintings

4) Would you like to get together for a short paint-out sometime? ABSOLUTELY

This is sooooooooo exciting!!

Paula

Deborah Secor
08-14-2004, 12:53 AM
Okay, up to 13 now...

Paula (pjo)
Tammy
Clare
Mikki
Tammy
Jackie
Sooz
Kitty
Llis
Kathy
Deborah
Maggie
Paula (pford)

QUESTION #5: What day/hour/length of time would you like to meet for a paint out?

Deborah

Paula Ford
08-14-2004, 12:58 AM
QUESTION #5: What day/hour/length of time would you like to meet for a paint out?

I'm off all day on Saturday and the longer the better :D

Paula

Mikki Petersen
08-14-2004, 05:58 AM
I have a class from 9-12 but could meet up after that on Saturday. I have no schedule for Thursday or Sunday. Friday morning is open, too. Also, I'm open every day after 4pm...

Khadres
08-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Saturday afternoon may work? I don't have any classes after Friday afternoon. Outside of some gawking around the area and some drooling at the Expo itself, I'm free til Sunday....we head home on Sunday.

Kitty Wallis
08-14-2004, 02:16 PM
Here's an idea:
What about setting up a location for people to drop in on all day and spend whatever time they have? A map could be left in the bulletin board, people could arrange to car pool.

I wish I could join you.

Deborah Secor
08-14-2004, 02:55 PM
Great idea, Kitty! Let me put my head together with a couple of other local folks--maybe Maggie, PJ, others--and see about a good location.

Deborah

Khadres
08-14-2004, 03:05 PM
I vote for someplace with old 'dobe walls, trees, flowers....hollyhocks! Stuff like that there. :D

Deborah Secor
08-14-2004, 03:12 PM
Canyon Road is tempting but soooo hard to set up there. The road is so narrow and the traffic is horrendous. I'll see what else I can find with those elements: quintessential Santa Fe! Maybe the mountains in the background, too.

Deborah

Artistammy
08-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Saturday is the day I'd like to paint sometime. I have to head back that evening.

Khadres
08-18-2004, 07:46 PM
This is gonna be so cool! I've been trying to figure out how little I can get by with art supply wise. Any hints from y'all Santa Fe veterans? On the one hand I'd like to bring EVERYTHING just cause I'm a kook, but really I'd like not to aggravate the hubby by hauling too much "stuff". I'm figuring a couple foam core boards, bull dog clips, a few cut sheets of Wallis, Cassatt box of pastels, and what about an easel? If we're going to be near our vehicles, that might alter what I haul along. I'm not an experienced plein air painter...yet, but I want to take a stab at it, too.

Artistammy
08-18-2004, 08:08 PM
Khadres, I don't Pleinair much eiither. But I would suggest adding water, sunblock, few pastel pencils, kneaded eraser, & wet wipes to the list. I carry a collapsible 3-legged stool in case I can't find a good rock or anything to sit on.

Kitty Wallis
08-18-2004, 08:09 PM
This is gonna be so cool! I've been trying to figure out how little I can get by with art supply wise. Any hints from y'all Santa Fe veterans? On the one hand I'd like to bring EVERYTHING just cause I'm a kook, but really I'd like not to aggravate the hubby by hauling too much "stuff". I'm figuring a couple foam core boards, bull dog clips, a few cut sheets of Wallis, Cassatt box of pastels, and what about an easel? If we're going to be near our vehicles, that might alter what I haul along. I'm not an experienced plein air painter...yet, but I want to take a stab at it, too.

Do you use a wet underpainting? If so you'll need a brush, color, a water container. And tape, not clips.

I have an easel that is light and folds into thirds instead of half. When folded it's about 24"x2"x3" I take it everywhere. You'll see it in my booth. Probably they will be for sale at the Windsor Newton Booth.

I also bring an apron.

Excellent additions Tammy, especially the sunblock, Santa Fe is a mile high so the air is thin and the sun direct.

Khadres
08-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Good ideas from both of you! Tammy, your list included a lot of stuff I sort of drag around on any trip anyway, but it's good to have a list, so nothing gets forgotten! Good idea about the easel too, Kitty. I have a french easel which I'd probably bring if I were doing oils, but since the box of it's not really suited to many pastels, I kinda hate to bring it.

Something to sit on could be an issue depending on how I'm doing with the altitude...I could probably survive Everest as long as I was sitting down! :D
Not sure what to bring on that score... Might just use the ice chest for that if I need it.

Paula Ford
08-18-2004, 08:56 PM
This is becoming more and more exciting by the day.

Thanks for the suggestions. You guys brought up some stuff that I would never have thought of.

Paula

chookbrown
08-18-2004, 11:30 PM
Wow, had no idea this thread existed and that so many of you will be .... surprise, surprise... attending the same art expo as I am driving to next Tuesday!!! Dee pointed me here and I'm glad she did.

Tuesday evening, depending on how long it takes to drive from Nebraska!;)

Should be able to... I have classes 9 - 12 & 5 - 8pm

Kitty Wallis Wednesday.
Others on Thursday and Friday, will have to check again.
Terry Ludwig Saturday,
So far I'm free Sunday, but might leave to drive home.

That would be fun. Have never done plein air before but do have a portable easel.. will be looking at the list that Sooz was putting together before.

I will have my car for car-pooling if required.

:D Colleen

bogbeast
08-19-2004, 12:47 AM
ooooo--you are getting excited, and I'm getting green with envy! Now, remember, us homebodies are expecting a full report from all of you, including pictures of you, your purchases :D , your art work, and anything else you would want to see!!!

I'll provide the buttered popcorn for the back row once you start reporting!

Khadres
08-19-2004, 02:28 AM
Oh, how cool you're getting to come to the Expo too, Colleen! I think that makes 14 of us, now! Wow! Can you imagine all of us running rampant in the aisles, gandering at everything and figuring out what to buy and jabbering a mile a minute? Wheeeeeeeee!

I've got me WC! hat and apron and I'm gonna make the hubby wear the T shirt, so we're all set!

chookbrown
08-19-2004, 10:31 AM
Oh, how cool you're getting to come to the Expo too, Colleen! I think that makes 14 of us, now! Wow! Can you imagine all of us running rampant in the aisles, gandering at everything and figuring out what to buy and jabbering a mile a minute? Wheeeeeeeee!

I've got me WC! hat and apron and I'm gonna make the hubby wear the T shirt, so we're all set!

LMAO... Sooz, I have the T-shirt, will have to remember to pack that! And let's not forget our lovely WC badges.

:D :wave:

Mikki Petersen
08-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Now how cool is this! Only days away and we are still discovering new additions. Colleen, it will be so nice to meet you after all this time on the threads!

Okay, everyone, start praying, casting spells, doing voodoo, thinking positive thoughts, whatever your choice for getting your mojo going...my dear hubby's sawed upon finger appears to be infected despite antibiotics. We go to the doctor tomorrow morning (Friday) and are supposed to be heading out for Santa Fe on Saturday. If they decide he needs surgery....the trip is off. I threatened him that I would go by myself but, of course, I can't leave him alone without the use of his dominant hand. SO Get That MOJO working PLEASE!

binkie
08-19-2004, 06:32 PM
SIGH... Wish I were a good enough artist to attend. Maybe someday ....

Everyone, have a wonderful time!!!!!! (I know you will)

gwen

chookbrown
08-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Mikki,.... I have everything crossed that crosses and will say a prayer also for your hubby's digit. You HAVE to be there...:D

Dear Gwen, you don't have to be any sort of artist to come along... Its for everyone and just for fun!! So be sure to get organized for next year if you live to far to come this year.

Cheers, Colleen :D:D

Khadres
08-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Well, the stars willing, I may still make it despite Gary's frightful stay in the hospital! I'll certainly be hoping your hubby gets by with no surgery, Mikki! What rotten luck to have an accident NOW...or any time, far as that goes! Hang in there...we'll all do whatever rituals work for us on his behalf.

Gwen, you ARE good enough for this...and it wouldn't matter if you weren't anyway! This isn't a rarified, juried thing or I wouldn't be goin' either! :D This is just for fun and a bit of learning into the bargain. Grab your stuff and run get on whatever highway shoulder Mikki will be passing by on and catch a ride!?!

You too, Libby! Maybe someday we can get together and have a painting holiday somewhere just for us pastel types! Wouldn't that be FUN?

Kitty Wallis
08-19-2004, 09:09 PM
The bad news:

The Expo happens every other year. In the past, the off year was used by the IAPS International Association of Pastel Societies show. Similar, except just pastels were shown.

IAPS 2005 is scheduled for North Carolina. Which means there is no art materials show in Santa Fe next year. :crying:

bnoonan
08-19-2004, 10:37 PM
This is a picture of me...

Green with Envy....

Deborah Secor
08-19-2004, 11:10 PM
HA! Barb! You don't look so good in green. Pink is more your color! So COME!!! Hop on a plane and just do it. That's what credit cards are for, right? I mean, this is America, land of play then pay. Do your patriotic duty. Okay, I'll shut up now...

Okay, you too, Gwen. Maybe you two can catch the same flight! Okay, I'll really shut up now...

Mikki, you know I'm praying! I soooo hope you can make it!

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone...this is going to be fun. Wish everyone could be there.... (don't they have a frustrated smilie? Hmmm... this will have to do. :( :) :( :) --mixed emoticons... )

Deborah

Khadres
08-20-2004, 12:37 AM
Awww, come ON Barb! Green isn't your best color so SPEND it, get a ticket and boogie on back to NM! You know you'd love it! WE would too!

Mikki Petersen
08-20-2004, 05:46 AM
Well...I think the news is good....when we changed John's dressings tonight, I thought his finger looked much better...could be wishful thinking...could be all the prayers...will know for sure after his doctor appt later today.

Barb, you could always ride with us...our trailer sleeps six small people :wink2: ...but it is all one big room so it's pretty cozy...no privacy... We are taking four days to get there and will be on the road for at least two weeks after the Expo before returning to California... da plane would probably be much more efficient... :confused: . I just cannot imagine a gathering of WC pastellists without your enthuiastic personality in the mix.

I'm busily packing now...positive thinking here...Threw out a set of Yarka's and used the nice wooden box to create a set of half sticks of all my favorite GAW's, etc for travel. Will also lug along my Rembrandts in the three tray ArtBox...They aught to just call that thing a Rembrandt box since it's designed for Rembrandt pastels...all other brands are either to small or too fat for the slots. I'm also throwing in my watercolor travel kit for possible quick sketches on the road.

I just GOTTA get there!

Kathryn Wilson
08-20-2004, 08:57 AM
Sooz and Mikki - got my fingers, arms, legs crossed that you both make it to the Expo. You guys are going to have soooooo much fun - color me

:envy: :envy: :envy: :envy: :envy:

Khadres
08-20-2004, 11:11 AM
With luck I'll make it, too! I may be trailing a mini oxygen thingy just in case, and I may be movin' slowww, but that just means I'll have more time to enjoy everything fully, right?

I'm still mulling over which/how many pastels to tote along. I know I won't need so many hues down there, but hesitate to rearrange the Cassatt box too much since I use it as my basic pastel box. I DO have an empty second one, tho....hmmmm

Mikki, I have some old art bin boxes too and used to keep my Grumbachers in 'em...hadn't thought of trying the Rembrandts in those...hmmm

Anyway, I hope John's finger continues to improve, that Gary is on the road to feeling better, and that everyone else makes the trip to old Santa Fe without further complications! If I don't message with ya before you leave, Mikki, have a SAFE trip! I'll be happy to take your place as the "biggie" of the group! :wave:

PS...Kat, I SOOOOOOOOO wish you could come too! But maybe we'll see you next year at the IAPS thingy! Maybe us "westerners" can meet more of the "yankees", southerners, easterners next year! That should be a blast!

bnoonan
08-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Trust me - I look at plane fare every day and think about how I can budget for it and who knows - I may weaken yet.

B

chookbrown
08-20-2004, 01:35 PM
Trust me - I look at plane fare every day and think about how I can budget for it and who knows - I may weaken yet.

B

***Look into my eyes*** ***you're getting weaker, weaker***

Think of it as part of your ongoing art education. This is not a "holiday" or "vacation." This is NOT a selfish indulgent act. This is a tax deductible, educational opportunity. This will only further your art "career." This opportunity will not present itself for another few years to come. You are gathering with like minds, and honing your creative juices, channelling them towards future goals.... ok.. I'm done...well this is what I told my hubby..LOL :evil:

***weaker, weaker*** *** think NIKE.... Just do it!!***

Mikki Petersen
08-20-2004, 05:08 PM
Ya Barb, what Colleen said!

For anyone who does not read the Scumble daily...John go the all clear from the Doc and we set forth for Santa Fe in the morning! Traveling by RV is wonderful, but not FAST! MapQuest estimates three days for driving from here, but with our old worn out bladders, we make frequent rest stops. That combined with reduced speed limits for vehicles pulling trailers...We are just hoping four days will do it!

See ya'll there!

binkie
08-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Mikki,

I'm so glad to hear that your hubby is okay! Somehow I missed your post yesterday.

We travel in an RV too. Where are you staying in Santa Fe? I'm trying to talk my husband into going, but he's not much for last minute trips.

gwen

Clare in Texas
08-20-2004, 06:05 PM
I just spoke to a lad from the art supply store about the reservations, etc. In the midst of this and that he said that the fire marshall had put his foot down, and no floor easels in the classrooms. Table easels are OK, as they do not block the pathways in the classroom. The instructor gets one floor easel in the front of the class.
Also, no buying from the exhibitors until Friday.

chookbrown
08-20-2004, 06:37 PM
That is such good news about your hubby Mikki... and such good news that you guys are gonna make it afterall!! YAY!! :D:D Have a nice trip... cya at the other end.

:D :wave:

Deborah Secor
08-20-2004, 10:22 PM
I just got a phone call from Jackie and she and her girlfriend from Arizona will be on their way to Santa Fe tomorrow. She mentioned the heat there. Is anyone surprised?

Mikki, I read your good news in the scumble and I am sooooooo glad you'll be coming. I think four days will do it, even at a pokey rate. It's really the nicest way to see things, too. (I've driven from Albuquerque to San Francisco in one looooong day, back when I was in my 20s! I won't be doing that again, trust me!)

Gwen, twist his arm, lovingly of course! C'mon...it's not that far or long and you'll learn so much!

Now we need Barb and Kat all the rest of them too! Drat! Wish we could all meet...

Deborah

Mikki Petersen
08-21-2004, 02:33 AM
Gwen, Maggie Price travels by RV also and suggested the Rancheros de Santa Fe where she will be staying and has stayed on previous occasions. I made reservations for Tuesday thru Sunday. We should get there some time Tuesday afternoon if we don't get side tracked. John and I both suffer from terminal meandering :D . I hope you can talk your hubby into going. My hubby, Sooz's hubby and some others will be there to keep him company...

The trailer is pretty much ready to go...now for a good night's sleep.

Deborah, that sounds like something only a person in their 20's would do...it's an estimated 25 hour trip!

See you all soon! I'll be checking in from the road over the next few days!

chookbrown
08-21-2004, 09:06 AM
I will have to make a flying visit to Kitty's Stand at 12 nooon on Friday. My hubby is now arriving in Albaquerque at 1pm on the Friday. I have to rush down and get him (hope its not far??) and come back in time for my 5pm class. He'll be here to drive back with me... Might have some time on Sunday now also.

:)

Deborah Secor
08-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Colleen, it's about an hour drive from SF to ABQ--the speed limit is 75 most of the way on Interstate 25, though it slows in the city. You have to go all the way through the city to get to the airport exit (it's on the south end of ABQ) so it takes a smidgen longer. If I were you I'd leave about 11:45 to pick him up at 1:00...depending on whether you want to meet him at the gate or out in the pick up zone in front of the airport. Then you might have some time, especially if he has to wait for luggage...

I'm going to be there in the morning shopping (what else???) so maybe we can meet a bit earlier somehow somewhere...

Deborah

chookbrown
08-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Colleen, it's about an hour drive from SF to ABQ--the speed limit is 75 most of the way on Interstate 25, though it slows in the city. You have to go all the way through the city to get to the airport exit (it's on the south end of ABQ) so it takes a smidgen longer. If I were you I'd leave about 11:45 to pick him up at 1:00...depending on whether you want to meet him at the gate or out in the pick up zone in front of the airport. Then you might have some time, especially if he has to wait for luggage...

I'm going to be there in the morning shopping (what else???) so maybe we can meet a bit earlier somehow somewhere...

Deborah

Thanks Deborah! I am wondering if there is in fact a shuttle from ABQ to Santa Fe. He said he wouldn't mind doing that to save me the drive in an unfamiliar city. We will catch up for sure!

:D:D
:wave:

Deborah Secor
08-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Yep, Colleen, there are a couple different shuttles--maybe more. You can Google it and find the details. That would be so great!

Deborah

llis
08-21-2004, 06:44 PM
I'm getting so excited about meeting all of you!

I have business cards for all of us to pass out. It's going to be fun trying to figure out who is who!

I'll be arriving Tuesday and taking the shuttle to the Hilton. I'll get there about the same time as I left. LOL

chookbrown
08-21-2004, 07:12 PM
It's going to be fun trying to figure out who is who!

LMAO.... I guess I should practice my best Amerkin accent or else it will be a dead giveaway!!! :D:D

Deborah Secor
08-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Hey, Kat and I were just talking and she's going to start a thread sometime soon where we can all put photos and notes and information about what's going on at the Expo. I can just hear the comments on the photos from everyone... LOL (Hey--I don't know how much weight I've lost but I'm losing! I still won't be 'the skinny one'.) We may rival the Olympics--live from Santa Fe... well, maybe not exactly live. Canned from Santa Fe... (that sounds bad. Never mind.)

Llis, how convenient to arrive at the same time you left. Hmmm, interesting..

This is going to be FUN!

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
08-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Hi all you Santa Fe Participants! I've set up a New Thread in Pastel Talk for an opportunity to chat with us and tell us all about the Expo. If you have a way to send photos, that's even better!

Have a fun week y'all!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211122

Khadres
08-22-2004, 10:44 AM
(Hey--I don't know how much weight I've lost but I'm losing! I still won't be 'the skinny one'.) Deborah

Well, shoot, you mean I might've taken the "biggest" award all by myself if I'd been able to come along? I miss out on everything dangit! Oh, well, just think how much more space you guys will have at the Expo! :p

Paula Ford
08-22-2004, 01:05 PM
LOL Kat!! Can't wait to post in that new thread!! SO EXCITED and can't wait to meet all of you!!

Sooz? You gonna meet me for supper Wednesday night?

Paula

bnoonan
08-22-2004, 03:05 PM
Have a great time everyone. Chooky, sorry but getting down there isn't going to happen after all. I shall be with all of you in spirit and having been to Santa Fe, I have a few recommendations for galleries that I believe are my favorites...

First off - Inside the galleries - pick up a copy of the Collectors Catalogue - it's free and worth it's weight in gold for future references on galleries or artists you may like in the future. I always carry one around.

Second - occasionally you'll find free copies of Southwest Art Magazine - I find these to be really helpful in my growing process as well.

Nedra Metteucci Galleries (my favorite of their two is at
1075 Paseo de Peralta - just at the entrance to Canyon Road.)
Reason: The paintings of Fechin are just magnificent as is the entire Russian Impressionists collection they own. Be sure to see the O'Keefe there - lovely.

Next door on Paseo de Peralta is the next favorite gallery who's name totally escapes me at the moment - but they had a Fechin exhibit going on as well. Truly wonderful in all the rooms because they tend to carry more pastels than many other galleries from what I could see. Oh -I'll think of that name yet. Got it ... The Gerald Peters Gallery.

Meyer Gallery - 225 Canyon Road - another one I liked because of the style of artists represented.

Alexandra Stevens Gallery - is farther up Canyon Road but worth a walk. They currently have a show by one of my oil painting friends and teacher, Daniel Bayless. He's a dear friend who lives across the street and taught me a lot. In addition they carry pastelists.

Giacobee Fritz 702 Canyon Rd. Is also a nice gallery for it's Russian collection right now. They also feature Richard Schmid's daughters work Molly Schmid. One of my absolute favorite portrait paintings in this gallery is by Vladimir Zacharkin - it's entitled the agronomist I think - a single man with a white button down shirt that is very easy on the eyes. It's in oil - Ooo laa laa..

Ventana Art Gallery - represents Handell and Doug Dawson along with other noted pastelists - worth checking out.

Dining out... We really liked the Coyote Cafe - upstairs where you can dine outside on the deck under umbrellas and look down the street. Great food and I believe Deborah's gallery that represents her is down the way. Don't know the name of the street - sorry.

All in all.. it's bringing up great memories. enjoy it all for me!

Barb (this will be cross posted on the thread started by Kat)

chookbrown
08-22-2004, 04:46 PM
Sad you won't be there this time Barb but glad you have experienced Santa Fe before and THANK YOU for all this wonderful gallery info!!

Khadres
08-22-2004, 06:17 PM
LOL Kat!! Can't wait to post in that new thread!! SO EXCITED and can't wait to meet all of you!!

Sooz? You gonna meet me for supper Wednesday night?

Paula

IF I get to make the trip, I'd love to!

Will know whether that will happen by Tuesday, I guess...have to see if Gary holds his own in the meantime...he seems a bit better today but insists that even if he doesn't feel up to the trip I should try to go and take Melissa along. I'm just kinda in a holding pattern, thinking about getting stuff together but not packed up yet. The acid test will be how he does going back to work tomorrow...and whether he can get appointments soon with the doctors. I swear, we can be dying in this country and we still have to wait for our lordly doctors to make TIME for our demise!

I do want to go, tho, so don't count me out yet!

I'll call if/when we get there to see if you've checked in yet! Paula Ford, right? I wonder who else will be there looking for dinner companions Wed. nite?

I notice my motel does have internet hookups...does anybody know of a cheap, short-term access carrier that serves Santa Fe?

Please keep your fingers, toes, eyes, and even nostrils crossed for me!

Paula Ford
08-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Yup, that's me Sooz. Keeping everything crossed so that you'll be able to come!!

Barb, wish you were coming along...thanks for all the info!!

Anybody else for dinner Wednesday night?

Paula

chookbrown
08-22-2004, 06:38 PM

Paula

Sounds like a great idea.. have to let us know where and when.. I think Kitty offered a sign up sheet at her booth for us all?? Maybe we can add our cell phone numbers or hotel info? Let me know the best way to deal with it?

Khadres
08-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Only problem with the sign-up sheet thingy....the Expo booths don't open til Friday. Best bet would be to pm one another with hotel phone numbers or cell numbers. I'm still not sure my cell phone will function down there or not...it doesn't in Alamogordo, but then NOTHING much works in Alamogordo! :evil:

Geez, I REALLY hope I can make it! But then I also REALLY hope Gary's okay, too. One wonders why everything has to be so complicated!

SweetBabyJ
08-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Hate to do this to your 'puter, but if you load up and join AOHell, Santa Fe will have an access number- prolly easiest to just use dial-up. Then, when you get back, *uninstall* AOHell, and all its little companions, and clean out your registries- such a nasty little propriatorial program- but it's convenient for travel.

Y'all have a blast- and take LOTS of pics- we'll just suffer the forum-flooding and thread stretching.

Khadres
08-22-2004, 06:53 PM
Barb, you're off the hook on this one, but start savin' pennies for the next get-together cause we won't let ya miss that one! And thanks for all the gallery tips as well as the restaurant! I NEVER know good places to dine in unfamiliar territory...ALWAYS seem to pick the wrong one.

Oh...and for the semi-natives down there...would you happen to know if there are shady parking spaces near the Expo? Just in case Mel insists on bringing her pooch along and might have to leave it in the car for very short periods...if not, we'll have to sweet-talk the motel folks into letting her stay in the room alone. She's actually a wonderfully behaved and very quiet critter, so she wouldn't be a problem that way, but some motels have rules concerning pets.

I'm itching to begin packing, but don't want to "jinx" myself!

Khadres
08-22-2004, 06:55 PM
Hate to do this to your 'puter, but if you load up and join AOHell, Santa Fe will have an access number- prolly easiest to just use dial-up. Then, when you get back, *uninstall* AOHell, and all its little companions, and clean out your registries- such a nasty little propriatorial program- but it's convenient for travel.

Y'all have a blast- and take LOTS of pics- we'll just suffer the forum-flooding and thread stretching.

Thanks for the tip! I have found a Juno access number for Santa Fe...might just go with that...and if that doesn't work, I can try AOHell.

Sure wish the rest of you guys were coming! We'll try to keep you posted in any event...

chookbrown
08-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Only problem with the sign-up sheet thingy....the Expo booths don't open til Friday. Best bet would be to pm one another with hotel phone numbers or cell numbers.

Oh good point... will do.

Hey Julie, I've never heard the term "thread stretching" before since I've been on WC. What is that?? Might be some horrible thing I need to know about?? Sorry if its obvious to everyone else, I can be a bit slow sometimes. :)

SweetBabyJ
08-22-2004, 07:04 PM
In other forums, it means to post an overly-large pic which forces the thread to be much bigger than your screen, so you have to scroll side-to-side now to read all the posts. That's one reason for the 600 x 500 pixel limit on pic sizes here. But it's also come to mean posts which have a lot of pics, (or a huge long cut-and-paste argument in a debate thread) so you have to scroll and scroll and scroll to get to the bottom.

We'll risk it- trust me. :D :D :D

chookbrown
08-22-2004, 07:06 PM
In other forums, it means to post an overly-large pic which forces the thread to be much bigger than your screen, so you have to scroll side-to-side now to read all the posts. That's one reason for the 600 x 500 pixel limit on pic sizes here. But it's also come to mean posts which have a lot of pics, (or a huge long cut-and-paste argument in a debate thread) so you have to scroll and scroll and scroll to get to the bottom.

We'll risk it- trust me. :D :D :D

Thanks Julie!!!! I have probably seen it just never put a name to it!!

:D:D
:wave:

Kitty Wallis
08-22-2004, 07:24 PM
A warning:
A friend of mine who doesn't know beans about computers, had the :evil: of a time getting rid of AOHell. It crashed his computer twice during the separation process, not to mention the ongoing charges after he told them to shut down his account. Oh yeah, and the polite scam everytime he tried to get through to get things taken care of, instead of tech support he got "Would you like 6 months free?"
His wife, who manages the computer system of a large hospital couldn't figure it out and neither could his two savvy sons. He had to hire help and reconfigure his hard drive.

SweetBabyJ
08-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Yep- I *said* I hate to do this to your puter....

It's a nasty little program- ESPECIALLY if you're computer-savvy enough to have reconfigured some of your operating systems. Regular, run-of-the-mill, straight from the box Windoze/IE users *probably* won't have as much trouble- but uninstalling it again can be a bear if you don't watch to see where all everything goes, and what all is being installed.

Juno isn't as bad- neither is Earthlink- but both are notoriously slow- even for dial-up. It's one of the ways they keep costs down.

Kitty Wallis
08-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Oh...and for the semi-natives down there...would you happen to know if there are shady parking spaces near the Expo? Just in case Mel insists on bringing her pooch along and might have to leave it in the car for very short periods...if not, we'll have to sweet-talk the motel folks into letting her stay in the room alone. She's actually a wonderfully behaved and very quiet critter, so she wouldn't be a problem that way, but some motels have rules concerning pets.

Sooz, Just FINDING parking is a problem, and there aren't that many shady spots anywhere, barring shade from the buildings which are short, most of them 2 stories tall. The folks running the classes advised me to get to the area 1/2 hour before I need to be there to find parking -and I'm arriving at 8:30 (8:00) to set up for my class, which begins at 9:00. It gets even worse as the day goes on. Of course the folks who live there might have an answer for you.

Khadres
08-22-2004, 08:08 PM
Thanks, Kitty! I had planned on being early, and I doubt she'll leave Raven in the car more than a few minutes while she helps shuffle my stuff inside, but thought I'd ask about shade. Early morning isn't usually too bad, but I imagine the afternoon's gonna be a killer. Mel won't be there with me all the time, I'm sure (boredom, don't ya know!), but I certainly don't want Raven stuck for any time in a hot car. If nothing else, we could leash her and one or the other of us could stay with her outside for short stretches, I suppose. Thank heavens she's so well-behaved...any of our other critters would be hopeless on something like this.

Deborah Secor
08-22-2004, 08:11 PM
Here's the link to the Collector's Guide page of Santa Fe Galleries (http://www.collectorsguide.com/sf/sfall.html). You can see how easily you'll be overwhelmed!

Canyon Road is really fine. It's a little narrow road that goes uphill off of Paseo de Peralta (which is a big road almost circling the town that you'll come to depend on/hate), becoming one way to car traffic after a bit. It's cheek by jowl with galleries, galleries and more galleries, plus restaurants. I'm going to suggest that you drive up Canyon to get a feel for what's there, then turn left when the shops peter out and circle around to park at the bottom--about the only place you can park (and that may be tricky.) Artisan is at the top, if you want to try to go there, but you'll have more than enough materials to choose from at a better price at the Expo. However, it's a fun experience to go in, and they have about 12 parking spaces along the side. Good luck on getting one, if you decide to go...

Do not miss Ventana Gallery (http://www.ventanafineart.com/shop/paintings.html)--Handell, Dawson, Ramon Kelley.If you want to see an art gallery that's more like a museum try theGerald Peters Gallery (http://www.collectorsguide.com/sf/g168.html) on Paseo de Peralta. Hit Nedra (Knee-dra) Metteucci's (soft Cs) at the same time--parking once for both. (Ooops--I see Barb covered these--well, she's right! GMTA)

This the the gallery where I have a little corner:Arlene Siegel Gallery (http://www.collectorsguide.com/sf/g306.html) Hope you'll check it out sometime! It's in an enclosed mall, cool and comfy, but don't think big shopping mall. It's a little adobe number with nothing but art galleries in it--typical Santa Fe. It's kitty corner to the La Fonda Hotel, which is the main old hotel on the southeast corner of the Plaza. If you're directionally inclined, head south from the hotel and cross over to the El Centro mall. The gallery is located in the center of the complex. Tell Ron &/or Arlene hello for me! :D (They'll get a kick out of it...Hope all of you go in! LOL)

I like the Coyote Cafe a lot too. It's on Water street, just a hop and skip south from Siegel's. More casual dining can be found at Cafe Pasqual's on Don Gaspar or the Guadalupe Cafe on Guadalupe Street. (Well, you never need to dress up in NM--casual meaning prices..more or less! LOL) If you want some fine food, good wines, excellent service, and don't mind the pricetag too much, I recommend La Casa Sena. The courtyard there is gorgeous and I've never been disappointed by the food. Here's a picture (http://www.lacasasena.com/) of it at their site. Oh, and they have a link to their menu with prices! (Go for lunch one day!) I also like the Pink Adobe (http://www.thepinkadobe.com/home.html), which is even nearer to Siegel's on Old Santa Fe Trail. If you like to sit in the bar, don't miss the Dragon, which is in the back. (My Mom's favorite!) I've also enjoyed the Zia Diner, 326 Guadalupe Street.

Sooz--there is municipal parking not too far away where with any luck you can park in the understory--but it fills up PDQ... Here's a link to the municipal lots (http://www.firstdistrictcourt.com/parking.htm)--very small and hard to see but the best I can find! I think one of those on Marcy St. is 2 stories, but I don't remember which. Kitty is right. If you have a choice, get into the parking area by 8:30 or 9:00. I was up there a couple weeks ago and by the time I left at 10:30 it was jammed to the RAFTERS! (Oh, the lot just below the number 1 is attached to the El Centro Mall where Arlene Siegel Gallery is located...)

Okay, I could go on--but I've gone on too long already!

Have fun!

Deborah Secor
08-22-2004, 08:20 PM
MAPS--good ones! Here... (http://www.collectorsguide.com/wingmapi.html)

Deborah

Kathryn Day
08-22-2004, 09:28 PM
Thanks Deborah for the links to maps. I've printed them out for the trip. See you soon.

Khadres
08-23-2004, 02:25 AM
Those maps are GREAT! Thanks for all the neat info, Deborah! Sure hope I get to go!

llis
08-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Yup, that's me Sooz. Keeping everything crossed so that you'll be able to come!!

Barb, wish you were coming along...thanks for all the info!!

Paula

Paula: I'd love to be with the group for Wednesday night dinner! Put me on the list. My Cell phone number is 706-975-6419.

Khadres
08-23-2004, 09:42 PM
Ilis,

I've taken down your number in case Paula doesn't come back in before she leaves. Will be fun to have you along!

I'm still packing...hubby insists I go and I guess unless something dire happens between now and then, I'll do it...will be the first time I've been out of TOWN in ages and ages, let alone for something fun like this! Have a great trip!

Khadres
08-23-2004, 10:22 PM
OK, y'all might want to jot down Colleen's info...she'll be at the Eldorado on the Plaza (ladedah! lol) and her cell phone is 1-402-770-6600.

I'll have my cell phone, but I've never had a lot of success with it out of town...the number however is...1-719-201-2725.

I'm beginning to think this might happen after all! Woooooeeeee!

Kathryn Day
08-24-2004, 12:35 AM
Sooz, so glad you get to go to Santa Fe. I look forward to meeting you. :)
Oh, my cell phone# is 505-870-3865.

Kitty Wallis
08-24-2004, 12:49 AM
I just checked the weather, temperatures in Santa Fe will be up to 78 in the day and down to 46 at night. Dress in Layers.

Khadres
08-24-2004, 01:57 AM
Sounds lovely weather to me! Thanks for the phone #, Katy! See you soon, Kitty! Woohoo!

chookbrown
08-24-2004, 08:21 AM
Cyaaaaaaa... leaving NOW!!! :D:D :clap: Safe trip alll........

Khadres
08-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Still keeping one eye on Gary, the other on packing....wish me luck! If all goes well, we'll leave tomorrow morning! If not, I'll message y'all from the Live From Santa Fe thread! Everybody have FUN!

Artistammy
08-24-2004, 11:01 PM
I'm staying at Motel 6 on Cerillos Rd. My cell phone is 549-2233. Hope ya;ll get this before you leave. I won't get there til Fri morning. Can't wait!

Khadres
08-24-2004, 11:30 PM
Cool! I made of note of the number! We leave tomorrow morning, assuming all goes well! See you there! I'm going to TRY and hook up the laptop when we get there...dunno how much luck I'll have, but I'll try. SOMEbody has to start "reporting" live from Santa Fe! LOL

Be sure and have a safe trip!

Khadres
08-25-2004, 02:09 AM
Tammy, dunno if I've got time to find out from ya...but what area code is your cell number? Texas, NM? Which? I suppose we can figure it out...lol.

Mannnnnnnn, I thought I was travelling lite this time! hahahahahahahaha! I'm goin' to hunt the monster suitcase now!

Paula Ford
08-25-2004, 07:50 AM
Well, I'm out of here...see you guys at Santa Fe!!

Drive safely!

Paula

Artistammy
08-25-2004, 11:49 AM
LOL It's 806-745-5447. It'll be time for me to go before I know it. I hope!