PDA

View Full Version : Round 2 of the Chinese Auction in the glass lobby!!! Please sign up and play!!!

rhapsodyfirebeads
08-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Hello fellow Chinese Auction Players!!! It's time to play again! This game is lots of fun, confusing, fast passed, outrageous and just a hoot!! Did I mention confusing?

Please go the "GLASS LOBBY", to sign up. NOT THIS THREAD!!!!

The game is called a “Chinese Auction”. I host it every year at my Thanksgiving party with all my drinking buddies and it’s a blast! However…we will adjust it from bringing a wrapped gift, to showing a photo of what we are going to be fighting over!

Here’s the deadline:
You have until August 23rd to sign up and make a gift!
The game will begin on Tuesday, August 24th. Your gift must be made and photographed by the time the game begins on Monday!!

Important: If your gift is not made AND photographed by the deadline, you will not be able to play!! No exceptions. So get busy now!!!

Here's a run down of the last time we played that, Sweet Misty, kept up for us on her website!! You can get an idea of how it works here: http://www.mistymade.com/chineseauction.html

You can make a focal bead, a set of beads, a marble, a bracelet, an anklet, a necklace, stained glass, glass rods, glass supplies, tools, wine glass, a ????…etc. Anything goes! Use your imagination! This game is open to all! Experience doesn’t matter, so weather you are a Newbie or a Master, you can join in the fun! If you aren’t comfortable with your own beads or art, you could for example, make something like a bracelet out of store bought glass beads.
Please save your photo at say 500 by whatever ratio matches that, and use the WC image uploader. That way we will have nice big photo’s to see what we can steal!! To do that: Save your photo and in the reply to post area, above the notepad and under your private message link, there is a drop down tab that says “Quick Links”. At the bottom of that tab, click on "image uploader". Then browse for your photo in the pop up box, and when it appears simply copy it and paste it into the body of your reply.

Here’s how you play it:
I will draw numbers out of a hat to see who goes 1st…2nd…3rd….last etc. Then I will pm everyone a second number that will be assigned to them as their secret gift number…let me explain. Say the person who goes first, draws # 38. If your secret gift number is 38, you will then post a photo of you gift and that gift will belong to the person who drew your gift number, at least for the time being. Then the person who is the second to draw, can either “STEAL” your gift, or pick a second gift from the secret gift numbers. Are you following me so far? If you steal a gift instead of picking a new secret number, the person you stole the gift from will have to pick a new secret gift number and then that person will post their photo. If your gift is stolen, you cannot take it back immediately, but later down the line if your new gift is stolen, you can steal back your first gift, or anything else!! The person who goes last gets anything out of the booty they want, or the last secret gift!! So we won’t know until the very end where to ship the gifts!! Sound like fun? Anyone wanna play?? I am adding a new twist this time, every 5 or so gifts revealed, (depending on how many people sign up) I will draw a name out of the 5, and that person will be able to steal anything already revealed among the 5 already chosen, or keep their own gift. If they steal your gift, you can steal out of the four remaining or keep your own gift and we will pick up where we left off. I'll explain it better once we get started. The next person drawing after that little "game within a game", can still steal anything from those 5 people, or a new secret gift!!!

NOTE: We also play lots of side games for prizes, please get some ready!!!!

There will be tons of emails and pages to go through if you play and last time we had over 4,700 posts and lot of fun, but you do need to be able to check in with the game a couple of times a day to see if it's your turn!! It took about 3 weeks to play last time. If you are going to be gone for just a couple of days, you can get a gift sitter until you return!

Let's Party!!!!

~Suzy~

McDuck
08-09-2004, 04:25 PM
:eek: :crying: :crying: :crying: Oh POOP! I take holiday Aug 30 for aweek and I REALLY wanted to play. *sniffles*
-Mary...errrr...McDuck

Barrie
08-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Aahh shucks!! I played last time, and can't this time! :crying: I am heading to Oregon to Glass Stock in early Sept and can't hold everyone up for a week! Rats!! I'm in for the next one though!!

beclectic
08-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Well I joined and I know that Lynne (Gingerbiscuit) joined and Nancy joined. Who else from Wearable Art joined so far? I'm really excited about getting in on this. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, I want it to be special.

Gingerbiscuit
08-09-2004, 07:10 PM
I'm really excited about getting in on this.

Me too! I read a lot of the thread from the last one a couple of weeks ago, and it seemed like such a load of fun! :)

TheBlueBetween
08-09-2004, 07:35 PM
I'm heading over to sign up now :)

Bangs
08-09-2004, 11:37 PM
Heck, I'll give it a try--although I must admit I am already confused :p I may need one of you to whack me with a pm if I'm supposed to do something once it starts....

beclectic
08-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Bangs, you should read at least part of the thread in the Glass Lobby for the previous Chinese Auction (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197139). It helped me understand how this works because they had to explain it so many times and people asked so many questions.

Bangs
08-10-2004, 09:56 PM
Thanks, Barbara. That did help, actually.

rhapsodyfirebeads
08-10-2004, 10:04 PM
Confussion is welcome, we'll wade through it together!! It get's pretty clear once we start playing a bit.

~Glad to have you!!!

~Suzy~

beadyeyedgirls
08-11-2004, 01:18 AM
think i may get in on this one! one question, though...is there some sort of price range to aim for? i have a few ideas, in a range of $, that'd be fun to do.

& i'll prolly need picture help, cuz i've still never gotten it on my own :o

rhapsodyfirebeads
08-11-2004, 01:50 AM
There's really no set limit for the value of a gift, it's just all in good fun and some will always out do others, know what I mean? It's just the getting to know each other and having fun together that is priceless.

I can help you with your pictures! Just p.m. and I'll try anyway.

~Suzy~

beadyeyedgirls
08-11-2004, 01:58 AM
thanks, suzy! off to sign up before bed...lol.