PDA

View Full Version : quick painting

bnoonan
08-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Well after finally sitting at my easel for the first time in about a month... I was able to paint this. It's not perfect but it hopefully captures a tender moment of my friend and her first son.

Before i surprise her with it as a gift, please let me know your C&C if you have time.

Many thanks, Barb

paloma
08-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Goodness I am the first to see this excelent painting, you say a quick one - it is so well executed!! but then sometimes it works out better for having less time to spend on a piece don't you think? Love your painterly style your friend is sure to be thrilled to bits. Cheers Alexandra :clap:

binkie
08-09-2004, 12:49 PM
It's so expressive of joy and love. Your friend will be absolutely delighted with such a wonderful painting. :clap: :clap: :clap:

gwen

Nori
08-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Barb, Wouldn't guess this was a quickie at all. As a Mom I can appreciate how this evokes the love we have for our children. I am not in a position to comment on technicalities but you have more than achieved outstanding success for your friend. WOW

Dark_Shades
08-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Beautiful piece Barb and especially as a quickie..... your friend will be thrilled with it am sure...... I would perhaps just like a bit more of that wonderful orange through parts of the rest of her hair, think that would lead you through it more...... love the coy little shy expression of her son ...... I would continue the green countryside them on behind him.......

good stuff .... keep it up

bnoonan
08-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks everyone,

Her hair was in the shadow but I see where it can use a few more reddish curls. Agree about the background.

typically I spend a fair amount of time measuring and drawing before I paint - this was a slightly different approach and it seems to have served me well.

Thanks. Barb

aurora70
08-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Very nice indeed...I love the expression on her face...you've captured it well!! :clap:

Monica

Khadres
08-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Really nice. I get a real sense of sunshine and warmth....mostly from their expressions, I guess. This should definitely be a hit.

bnoonan
08-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Monica, Sooz, - thanks very much.

Barb

Deborah Secor
08-09-2004, 04:17 PM
All right, Barb! You got to the easel! :D I love the expression and connection here, and the delicacy of your strokes is delightful.

As a hand painter I simply wonder if the woman's wrist is just a bit small or if the width of the whole hand is a bit large. I'd check the photo for this...(my bet is on the wrist.)

Wish a friend would surprise me with something as sweet as this! :cool:

Deborah

SweetBabyJ
08-09-2004, 04:35 PM
I see what Dee means and thought the same thing, but looking twice, I think it is the boy's shirt "poofing" up there and hiding the wrist/hand a bit, yes? A bit of dark/light play will fix that no problem.

Nic job- they're sure to love it- I like the sly look on the kid's face.

bnoonan
08-09-2004, 04:56 PM
This is for a friend who referred a large commissioned piece to me. Gotta love friends like that.

I'll double check the wrist/hand dimensions. she's a small woman so I can't exactly say without properly measuring.

Julie - nice of you to say so.. but the hand's not hidden by the shirt - bad drawing is all.

Barb

Kathryn Wilson
08-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Any mother would love to have a painting like this hanging on her wall - I agree on the wrist, although it looks like a red smudge from the shirt that may be tricking the eye a bit - easy fix!

bnoonan
08-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Kat - think you are right - there is a reddish reflection back on her hand from the shirt and it's cast those colors into the shadow. It's been measured and she's the proper size.

Thanks for the feedback - I think I'll send it to the mom now.

Barb

K Taylor-Green
08-10-2004, 04:13 AM
Wonderful feel to this, Barb. your friend will be thrilled. I know I would be!

Dyin
08-10-2004, 10:46 AM
mucho impressed...think this approach worked well for you...my only nit was the background and you have that covered...great job, Barb!

bnoonan
08-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Thanks very much - although it was an interesting method - I won't probably do it this way very often. I find myself chasing around the shapes and colors if it's not drawn properly in the first place.

B

zyffyr
08-11-2004, 02:01 AM
Very well done and so personal. :clap: Love your use of color. I second Dark Shades. Terralyn

prestonsega
08-11-2004, 03:09 AM
Barb, when I enlarged the image I heard the "giggly" mother/child interaction!
Now that is an impression when the eyes start "hearing"! :clap:

soap
08-11-2004, 06:45 AM
Lovely work. I know what you mean about 'chasing' shapes and forms (that is what I spend most of my time on while painting - I hardly draw).
I like the mood and the emotion expressed. Background needs to go on left of the boy. Wrist does not bother me, as the expression is all that matters.
Nice quickie! (if you can still call it that)

meowmeow
08-11-2004, 12:03 PM
What a super gift! I love her hair...for a quickie this is great. Not bad for a "longie" either...yeah, the wrist is bit off but not bad at all. I wouldn't have noticed it if it hadn't been pointed out. I like it!

Sandy

bnoonan
08-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Good to hear from all of you -
Well I've decided the close up of the hand wouldn't hurt... I think it shows the wrist better and how it's defined.

Of course now you may find something else wrong with it - so I'll just sneak away.

Barb