PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble - August 9 - 16

Kathryn Wilson
08-09-2004, 09:23 AM
Mornin' y'all - welcome to the weekly chat thread in the Pastel Forum. Pull up a chair, grab your favorite beverage and tell us what's happening with you this week. If this is your first time joining us, this is the thread where you share your thoughts, dreams, challenges, woes with your neighbors across the world - so come on in and tell us about what's happening -

----------------

Ahhh, we had such great weather this weekend that I think us two old folks over-did (is that a word?). Saturday we went to the local flea market and of course spent money we shouldn't have - bought an old screen door which turned out to be oak - perfect for my "country store" that I long to have someday; and bought two gold frames so I can get two more paintings ready for any show that comes along. I envy all you folks that have shows - we have one big show a year - the rest are gallery shows where you have to be juried in.

Yesterday we went to two very quaint towns south of us - Southern Pines and Cameron and took tons of photos of the old houses and local flavor. Southern Pines is a famous golfing mecca and the money certainly is there, and Cameron is an antiquing mecca - wonderful architecture and spanish moss hanging everywhere. We then went on to a State Park we hadn't been to before and hiked 2 1/4 miles through the woods to a very special place on the Cape Fear River. Ha, even the dog was exhausted when we got back - :)

So, what happened in your world this weekend?

meowmeow
08-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Sounds like a delightful weekend, Kat! Pleasantly over-did! :D

I am beginning to feel the "wedding spin" I think! :D My head is spinning. NOt even sure why but there are just little things here and there that need to be attended to. And we found out yesterday afternoon that my son, who will be staying at a local hotel, is planning on "boarding" his 8 month old lab pup, Buddy, with us!!!!! He insists he thought he discussed it with me. Nooooooo. But he really, really doesn't want to kennel him and he doesn't have anyone to watch the dog. Buddy and Casey get along really well, Actually, a little too well! They run around like crazy when they are together. And Buddy is big...he has a HUGE kennel my son brings when he comes. Mike insists he will be there first thing in and the morning and at night to walk the dog. Sure. After bachelor partying at night he is going to come by here and walk his dog? And then get up in the morning and come over to walk his dog? SUre thing! :D Oh well...we'll figure it out. Casey will love it. I just didn't need another layer to think about. (And we need to make some vet calls this morning and check him out too...but he sure seems fine!)
But all in all things are going well and according to plan. I think there are still a couple of people who have not sent responses back but most people have and there have not been too many surprises. One nephew who decided without checking that he was bringing a guest.
Now all we have to do is hope for good weather!
I am going to my figure painting session later this morning.
I hope everyone has a wonderful, productive and happy week.

Sandy

dexonsbabe
08-09-2004, 11:03 AM
well I had plans to spend whole weekend painting and although I did paint it was the sort I was hoping to do...........my boyfriend roped me into doing more decorating oh well will look nice when its finished......must try and do something tonight even if its just a quick doddle..........spending the six weeks school holidays with him and thought great chance while his at work to go out and do some painting, sketching and taking photos but been here 3 weeks already and not been out once :( and now its raining lets hope weather improves soon......have a good day all..........

Lori

bnoonan
08-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Morning everyone. I feel like a mole who is finally resurfacing again. Maybe a ciacadia (?sp).

Kat, I love the idea of you collecting a door for a store you don't own yet - it's great!!! I'd love to be able to do that but a 2 bedroom apt. in the city isn't even conducive to artwork storage - nevermind larger pieces. Sounds like you'll be taking a break today.

Sandy, I'm glad Mom is doing well and look forward to hearing some more good news about Casey as well. Never went through the wedding biz but I'm sure eloping is the choice most folks should consider. I applaud you for continuing your life study classes.

Lori, I hope the weather improves for you and that you get to explore the various shades of green there.

Vanity - congratulations on the sale of your jewelry. A successful art show is one of those shots in the arm we all need.

BogBeast and Mikki, I promise to find out about the pastel demo this week and let you know if we can have a few visitors. It would be great to meet in person. I recently discovered Artists and Craftsman in Berkeley and loved the close out prices of the Schminke on sale.

Deborah, Hope you feel better soon. Get that energy back for the month's end event.

Well that's all my tiny brain can remember about the thread from last week. Sorry if I missed anyone and I know I have.

With any luck, the spell of the artist's block will have been broken and I'll be posting more work this week.

Adios mis amigos y amigas!!!

Barb

judwal
08-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Hi everyone...this is my first time in the "scrumble." I had fun this weekend doing a WDE for the first time and feel like I'll probably get hooked on doing those each weekend. Boy...I did a lot of painting this weekend. I did three small paintings. I've started using the Wallis paper and I'm really lovin' it.

I also spent a lot of time taking photos around my yard. The morning light was so pretty and I just went around clicking. My next door neighbor has four beautiful hydrangea plants and I took about 15 photos of those and got some really nice shots.

bnoonan
08-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Judy - let us know how it goes with the gallery (read about it on the other thread). You are inspiring to all of us in your work. Those WDE's are addicting - especially when a particular photograph talks to you.

Will we see more hydrangea paintings now? PS - not enough time to comment on all your work but I loved the surf ones.

Barb

Deborah Secor
08-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Hi gang. Well, I'm feeling like I hit the lowest point of this cold yesterday so it has to get better from here, right? If I hadn't run around yesterday I suspect I'd feel better...but what can ya do? Now, the real challenge will be not doing too much today.

Kat, sounds like a great day for you! I hope we see some neat paintings from you of these scenic towns.

I'd love to take care of an 8 month old Lab, Sandy--want to send him to NM? :D I need the kennel too, though.

Lori, you need to go take rain photos it sounds like. Hmmmm, hard for me to imagine that here in dry New Mexico! Hope you get some time to sketch soon.

Barb, glad you're coming to the surface again. :p You sure don't look blocked to me--that portrait you share is wonderful in so many ways!

Judy, I'm jealous of the time you got to paint this week... (Where is that green smiley? ...just a second... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2004/23609-Envy.gif ) Oh--he looks too mad! Oh well...I'm glad you got to paint and hope to see some more hydrangeas from you too! :)

I have high hopes to get back to normal soon and back to painting, but my hubby says everything out there is bursting into bloom, which usually means the allergies will get me. I'm not overly sensitive except when it's so lush. I'm beginning to wonder if some of this cold is allergies. Can you get both at the same time? I never thought about it... :confused:

Have a great one!
Deborah

Khadres
08-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Indeed, Deborah, often times my worst colds start out as allergies, I think! I just get stuffed up and soon it's good ole infection time, so be careful!

It's been nice and mild here over the last several days and the forecast is for "wetter and cooler than normal" for the week, so....can't complain. The yards around town look so green and happy this year after several summers of drought and browns.

Can't believe the Expo's only a couple weeks away and I'm gonna actually get out of town for a few days! Wish I'd been able to skinny-ize so as not to take up so much space, but such is life, I guess. I'm eating right and controlling the blood sugar finally and they SAY the weight will begin to come off soon...I'll believe it when I DON'T see it! Mikki...you can stand in front of ME and look tres petite!

I worked on my Yorkshire painting over the weekend...I'll get courage up and post the thing soon so you guys can get a kick out of those poor benighted sheep! I discovered that doing tiny critters at a distance isn't NEARLY so easy as it should be...they're little more than lightish blobs with black dots for faces, but I will be sure and announce what they are so you guys won't mistake 'em for boulders or something other. :D I did discover the palette I wanted to use for the dales in late summer, tho, and think I'll try a series of smaller ptgs. using similar colours. It's so gorgeous there this time of year and doing the painting was a bit like getting to go there again...I could almost smell the heather there for awhile.

Actually, I have some other ptgs. in the mental or thinking stage (see? I told y'all I'm MENTAL!) The trouble is...with a lot of the photos I have, there isn't a natural center of interest so I'm having to figure out how to invent one. Does anybody else struggle with that?

Oh! And I signed up to do the Jan. 8, 2005 WDE pics. Am playing around with topic ideas and I'll be expecting all the pastel wielders to take part! I figured that might be a good time of year since everyone will be fresh from the holidays with their Xmas art goodies to try out.

Anyway, here's hoping your cold goes away Deborah, and that you enjoy a new burst of energy, Barb. Judy, enjoy that Wallis, and Kat...sounds like you have a whole new batch of source photos to try out, too! Lori, rainy paintings can be neat too, just don't get soaked doin' one! And Sandy...you're in the home stretch here on that wedding...eat plenty of Wheaties!

I'm off to clean up the tree branches that the cattle dog snuck in and chewed up all over the living room carpet....tata!

Kathryn Day
08-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi, just had a few moments to pop in and say hello. I went to Albuq to pick up my grandsons and we stayed for a few days and did all the kid stuff, amusement park etc. We just got home, and I will be catching up on work, laundry etc. Deborah, hope you feel better soon. I probably won't get much done for a few weeks, and then it will be time for Santa Fe. I'll try to get online and look and comment when I can.

bogbeast
08-10-2004, 12:55 AM
Sounds like the week is off to a decent start for most of you--good!

what I thought was a little cold has become a most annoying one, and I seem to have become a "snot monster"--both in production of, and unfortunately occassionally in mood! :mad: i have no patience with feeling sick, I can't smell anything pleasant--(cat box, yes; fresh baked chocolate chip cookies, NO! BAH!), I am thoroghly bored with sleeping, and I've no oomph to play with my brand new GAs in gorgeous greens and my Wallis paper samples! :crying: whine, whine, whine

okay, that's my 5-minute limit on complaining. It's only a cold, and I can probably get back to normal in another day or two--fortunately, the only thing I'm allergic to is fire ants, and they don't grow up here :D I'll just be a little late with my WDE.

Hope y'all will forgive me if I don't comment much on stuff until I get a bit more energy!

Khadres
08-10-2004, 01:33 AM
HAHAHAHA! Ain't that the way of colds? Most unpleasant and I can relate to both the snot AND the smellability! What a pain! All luck with getting rid of it quickly....mine always last for couple weeks minimum.

Maybe try some reading in the meantime? Surfing's good as long as you keep kleenex and windex (for the screen) handy....if you get my drift....:D

artist_pw
08-10-2004, 02:37 AM
Hi:

I hope everyone is getting nice weather. Here in KCMO the weather is incredibly nice for mid August. We've only had a few days of hot weather in the sweltering mid-90s with about 80% humidity too. Ugh! But usually, the month of August is pretty much that day in and day out, so this year, it's a nice change.

On Saturday, I went with my husband down to Clinton, Mo. He played in a golf tournament, and I took my gear and did a little pastel painting of a few trees across a pond. I need to tweak it some and add more light and midtone colors, but so far, it looks pretty good and I haven't messed it up too bad.

I'm still also working on my "California Oak" painting, and a couple of bigger landscape paintings, too. I'm trying to work on the small pieces so I might be able to put in the MAPS annual small painting show in October, and also some to possibly send to a gallery in NY.

Oh well, that's about it for now from me. Back to work! :)

Mikki Petersen
08-10-2004, 07:02 AM
UGH! I didn't get to paint Friday, Saturday or Sunday due to family obligations. Today, I was just settling in at my easel, with no other plan than to paint all day, when my husband comes bursting in to my studio trailing blood behind him. Seems he was just making one small cut on the table saw and didn't see the need for a pusher...well...the finger he was pushing with, his left index finger went right into the saw blade from the tip to the cuticle of his fingernail slicing everything vertically in half. I run him into the bathroom and begin cleaning it with both side sof the skin falling away fro the bone and he's saying "Just use some butterfly band-aids" :confused: !!! I shoved im in the car and raced to the ER (only an hour away) where we sat for 7 hours while a steady stream of babies were being born in cars and other cars were crashing creating seriously injured people who, of course, take priority. Finally, it's Hubby's turn...they do a nerve block and start cleaning the wound talking about how this really should have been treated sooner???? Then saying it's lucky the x-rays were okay, tow which we both blurt out, "He hasn't had any x-rays!" So off to x-ray where they find out he has an open fracture of the tip of his finger (duh!). So back to the ER where the have to do the block all over again and three, count 'em, 3 doctors huddle over my dear hubby's finger doing terrible things to it like 20 sutures, cutting away dead tissue with scissors, removing both halves of the fingernail and inserting an artificial nail and suturing it down. If that made you weak in the knees, join the club! Finally, he was released with armloads of antibiotics and painkillers 'cuz it might hurt over the next few days :eek: !

I'm off to bed now, praying for peace and quiet tomorrow...make that later this morning. I'll catch up with everone later today.

Happy Painting!

Khadres
08-10-2004, 11:36 AM
OMG! Mikki, that kinda stuff gives me the freakies! My dad once cut the end of his thumb off in a paper cutter...this was when we lived in a remote desert town, of course, no doctor on hand, etc. He kept the end of that finger in a tissue in the break room fridge for over a day til the doc finally came by on his weekly rounds...darned if the thing didn't heal up just fine and even had feeling in it after all that! This after slamming it in car doors and such at every opportunity during the healing process.

Sounds like your hubby did have thorough (maybe a little TOO thorough) treatment and with luck he'll heal well, too. I sure don't envy him that process tho! Poor guy! I think it was when you mentioned the removal of the fingernail that I came closest to passing out! :D

I do hope he's not in too much pain, takes it easy, and heals fast! And here's hoping you have a calmer, more pleasant day today! Hugs! (no hugs for the hubby...we might squash his finger!)

bnoonan
08-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Oh the things you learn on the morning scumble... like never ever ever go to the ER in Sacramento or wherever you live. Yikes!!! And - summer colds... Yuckky...

Mikki - Of course only a man would want you to just put a bandaid on it and kiss it - instead of going to the ER. You earn the woman of the year badge of courage and patience for this one. I applaud you and am glad you at least got to sit in air conditioning in the ER waiting room. (heard it was hot up there).

My heart does go out to both of you and I'm sure he didn't get a good night's sleep after all this - nor you.

Best of luck with the painting today.

I'm afraid after all that adventure I have nothing to add.

(Except - I hope the colds go away soon and painting resumes) I'm worn out and think I'll go have some vitamin C just in case....

Barb

bogbeast
08-10-2004, 07:31 PM
oh, Mikki, ohohohoh! yuck, scary, gross, awful, and i DO hate emergency rooms when you wait, and wait, and wait when someone you love needs treatment NOW (folks, I know she's not moaning or anything, but her blood sugar is over 600...is it really a good idea to just sit here for another 5 hours?? :( )(try Galveston on a summer weekend--I was quietly going into anaphylaxis while they fustzed around with the fish-hooks in toes once, after I accidently dug up a fireant nest! Gee, is she having trouble breathing?) I'm glad you took the big toughie in--I doubt he'd find a butterfly bandaid enough today, and those digital nerve blocks alone are nothing to sneeze at. You're getting him a whole set of pusher-blocks for his return to his shop, aren't you?

I hope his finger heals cleanly--that's the main thing at this stage. No yard work! Nothing messy! No skipping antibiotics! Yuck--now I've got the heebie-jeebies!

Oh, good luck getting back to painting...you might want to avoid the color red for a day or two! :p

My grandfather cut the tip of one finger off in a bandsaw once, years and years ago (well, alright, he died the year my 25-year-old was born, make that almost 5 decades ago :D )--only a bit, had half a fingernail left after it all healed, and as I recall they hospitalized him for it! Times and medicine have changed. Did they have penicilin back then, or was that back when you just bit down on your belt or something while they performed surgery??

I think being a half-century old, in years if not in outlook, is beginning to get to me--I spent part of my snuffly day yesterday at the physical therapist, to figure out how to deal with arthritis in more places than I care to count. My hip is bugging me (and I don't like ANYTHING that disturbs my sleep, except small children and thunderstorms), and I have this notion that I should be able to exercise like I did when I was 25 and thereby avoid the multiple hip and knee replacements that all 4 of my dad's sisters had. We'll see if it works that way--the CFS is already one strike against that idea!!

Kat--I've heard of Southern Pines--my dad volunteers at golf tournaments there sometimes!

K Taylor-Green
08-10-2004, 10:03 PM
What is it with men and being treated for anything ??!! My hubby does a lot of outdoor work, maintaining the property is almost a full time job. I've lost count of the times i've gone out to see what he is doing, and find him piddling with something, with blood running everywhere, hands, fingers, arms. Jess! :eek: What have you done?! Oh, sharpening mower blades, removing stubborn bolts, bumped into barbed wire fence, whatever. Just rinse it off and put a bandaid on it. :confused: Luckily, there hasn't been anything serious enough for a trip to the hospital. Except when he tore a muscle in his chest, and I don't remember how he did that. Probably had something to do with horses. I have gotten to the point that if he was seriously injured, I'd probably ignore it, unless he was unconscious!!
But just let him get sick!! He just shuts down. I mean totally. For a little cold or sore throat, he will sleep for 24 hours!!!

Hope everyone elses colds get better. My summer colds usually turn out to be allergies. Maybe I'm allergic to my hubby! :evil:

Kathryn Wilson
08-11-2004, 12:39 AM
Oooooh, Mikki, what a horrible thing you had to go through - let us know tomorrow how it's all going. Hope you are holding up okay - usually the patient gets all the attention and the caregiver gives out - take it easy too.

I've been busy hosting the Oil Pastel TOPP event today, so haven't had much time to peek in here - we've had a couple of "pirates" from the soft pastel forum sneak in and quickly steal some of my images - :D

Southern Pines is just a stones throw from Pinehurst, which will be hosting the US Open next year. Y'all come on down, ya hear!

SweetBabyJ
08-11-2004, 01:24 AM
Geez- sorry to hear Mikki. On the lighter side of horror stories, though, my Dad cut off the tip of one finger, and to the first knuckle on another in a joiner. Well, none of us thought much about it- I mean, that's what his fingers always looked like, to us. He died this past Spring, and my younger brother (eldest male) who is starting to look very much like my Dad now (always favored my Mom's family, seemed like) was out messing with manly-man work- the lawn-mower tractor. Apparently, he was wearing goggles, a weight belt, a helmet of sorts, and big heavy boots. He just kinda forgot to put on steel gauntlets and make sure the blades weren't still spinning when he went to unclump a clump of grass under the cutting deck.

My sister says he looks just like Dad now.

PS: My husband cut the tips off two of his fingers a few years ago- the kids were enthralled. It looked just like a microwaved hotdog. They didn't sew them back on, they just kinda cleaned it and bandaged it up and said "Hope for the best". Seemed to work.

Mikki Petersen
08-11-2004, 01:31 AM
Hi all! Just to let you know that so far John (hubby) is holding up fairly well under a steady regimin of Motrin and Vicodan. Fortunately for me, his finger begins to scream every time he gets up and moves around so he's pretty much laying low for now. But just wait for the itching to begin. He'll be crawling the walls for sure. He goes back to the doctor on Friday, a hand specialist who will decide if any further action need be taken. I've already quietly let him know that if he gets an infection and screws up our trip to Santa Fe...I'm going without him.

My apologies to all for the unnecessarily graphic description of John's treatment. I was over stimulated and over tired and had no sense of decency left at all.

Sooz, the fingernail part was where I got faint and had to leave the room. I'm so careful with my hands...and my eyes...

Libby, they can do amazing things with microsurgery if the severed part is carefully handled. Sad, funny story from when I worked in the ER...a mentally unbalanced young man was brought in one night after he had busily severed his hand from his wrist because "if thy hand offend thee, smite it off". The doctors immediately got the court to take custody of him and authorize re-attaching the hand. The hand was successfully re-attached and several months later, the young man cut it off again... This is appropos of nothing except everytime someone begins talking about amputation it brings that case back to mind.

Kate, John is absolutely like your husband. He is constantly bleeding from some wound or another...scraped knuckles, knicked fingers, scratched legs...and rarely even notices until I point it out. then he can't exactly remember what happened but like a child a band-aid will fix every ouch. But let him get a cold or flu and he's for sure dying! Immobilized! At least this time he had the maturity to realize it might take something stronger than a band-aid, hence the butterfly suggestion.

Barb, yes it is really hot in Sacramento! And yes, the ER was air conditioned! But the people coming into the ER were not and they were "fragrant" to say the least. In defense of our Emergency Department, it is typical of a trauma center...sometimes you can walk in and be seen reasonably fast...often though the traumas keep rolling in and they are a natural priority. I worked in that ED for many years and John patrolled there even longer so we got priority treatment but there are priorities and there are priorities.

Kat, I did fine in response to the original injury. Docs all said I did a great job cleaning and binding the wound. Once the crisis was over though I sort of fell apart and was shaking and teary. John has good drugs and since he rarely ever takes any kind of analgesic, the Motrin and Vicodan really kick his butt. I'm still exhausted from the emotional drain. Much as I gripe about "the hubby", he's my most important person and I have no experience with him being hurt...well...uhhh...I do now, I guess.

Still have not touched my painting. Too restless and jangled still to concentrate. Spent the day scanning photos. We dug into the storage shed to do some sorting and weeding last week and I found all our photos... hundreds and hundreds of photos. I'm determined to get them all transferred to CD's. Takes up a lot less space.

Think I'll wander over and check out the TOPPS...

Mikki Petersen
08-11-2004, 01:35 AM
SBJ, we cross-posted. That's the lighter side????? Oh, yeah, the grandkids are all fascinated and want all the gory details so they can get all grossed out. John, on the ohter hand, has sort of lost his sense of humor at the moment...

SweetBabyJ
08-11-2004, 01:49 AM
lol- Mikki- I promise you it will look lighter later- in a year or so. I was working the night my husband cut his off- came home to the kids dashing out of the house to tell me "Dad cut his fingers off with the saw! The neighbor took him to the hospital!" Me- I'm looking around the garage for the fingertips so they can sew 'em back on.

As for my brother, I think it was the triage nurse who took note of his helmet, belt, goggles and boots and dead-panned "Next time, wear gloves" that kinda made the rest of us laugh.

He'll be okay, Mikki, I have faith. And you did great- not falling apart until afterwards is a sign of a clear head.

prestonsega
08-11-2004, 03:49 AM
Mercy Pearl!!!!I got my dose of gratitude for the week just by reading the challenges others are facing..everything from stressful good times to traumatic injury and debilitating illness..things are pretty much status quo for me and mine.....sometimes no news is good news....Ya'll have a SAFE remainder of the week.:)

Kathryn Wilson
08-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Hey all, good news from me for a change - got good results from my doctor today - went in for an endoscopy and all my peptic ulcers have healed. It's been a year on Nexium and I was getting concerned that they never would go away. Now he's talking surgery for my hiatal hernia - not so good news.

Hope everyone is well today - I'm still groggy from the anesthesia, so I think I'll be out of commission for the rest to day.

Take care!

emmachester
08-12-2004, 02:26 PM
I agree, Preston, I have it pretty good right now compared to others. I suggest that everyone give an extra kiss to loved ones and step carefully when you leave the house.

I'm so glad to have found WC. I'm just returning to art after turning my back on it completely for 25 years. I knew I couldn't make a living at it, so I just gave it up completely. I started painting again about 4 months ago and I have so much pent up artistic energy that I paint or draw every free minute I have. My midlife crisis didn't involve a sports car, it involved many boxes of pastels.

I am in humble awe of the beautiful work everyone does. There are some incredibly talented people out there! Thanks everyone.

Sherry

soap
08-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Mikki! What a story! So sorry. And everybody else's stories - makes good reading, although somewhat gruesome at times. Don't know much about emercency rooms in hospitals. The only experience with hospitals in the UK were bad - they are all understaffed, old and falling apart it seems. Very upsetting to see people in there. Most are better off at home. Dreadful state. Don't wanna brag, but the hospitals are much better in The Netherlands, where I am from. If anything would ever happen to my loved ones in the UK I know I would wish they were in The Netherlands!
I once cut off the top of my finger, but did not go to the doctor for days. It sort of grew back and fell off and the tip of my finger is still num - - no nerves. When I finally went to the accidents department in hospital they told me I should have come earlier as it would have had stitches - but now it was too late. Oh well. I was only cutting some leeks...

No other medical stories here - 3 months pregnant and feeling fine. Hope it stays that way!

Kathryn Wilson
08-12-2004, 02:36 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Sophie! That is such great news - we'll be here to hold your hand all through the pregnancy - just post and we'll come running!

Sherry, Welcome to the Pastel Forum! I think a lot of us did what you did - not paint for long periods of time. But isn't it great you found your love for it again - looking forward to seeing some of your new work - :D

soap
08-12-2004, 02:40 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Sophie! That is such great news - we'll be here to hold your hand all through the pregnancy - just post and we'll come running!

:D :D :D......thanks! hee hee.....I might hold you to that!!

Is anybody going to tell me pastels are toxic and I should not paint while pregnant. I have been searching high and low for info about it, but have not found much. I think it is safe as most good pastel brands do not use any toxic ingredients anymore.....

Kathryn Wilson
08-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Ooooh, I hadn't thought about that Sophie - I guess I would discuss with your doctor. I would think a dust mask would be a good caution and how about some of those finger thingees? And don't eat while you are painting - something I am guilty of and got a good taste of oil pastels the other day and it was disgusting.

bnoonan
08-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Sophie - congratulations of course and I think the biggest thing is to make sure you wash your hands well after the baby is born. That's when it's going to be the greatest challenge.

After all the gore on here - I'm kind of glad I missed a day's worth of postings.

Have just received some good news - we just got a storage space in the building so I can finally put my artwork in a secure place that won't need to be shifted all the time. Sophie - your question of storage materials was timely.

Off to show some friends around SF - they are moving here.

Oh and Mikki and Bog Beast - still waiting to hear details on the demo in Pinole.

Barb

Deborah Secor
08-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Whooohooo!!! Sophie, that's wonderful! :D I painted in pastels all through my pregnancy and had no apparent lasting effects, but always best to talk to the doctor, I suspect.

Glad you're doing well too, Kat! Hope surgery doesn't rear its head--but face that if and when it comes.

Nice to meet you Sherry. So glad you're back to art. You're in a crowd of folks here who I think would agree that it's not just fun (though it is), it's really necessary!!

Space, Barb??? Whoa--have a blast. Fill it up with art!

I'm probably the only woman married to a woodowrker for 18 years who has no cutting off the finger horror story to tell! I'm ever so grateful for that...he has all ten, original equipment. Now the woman who assisted him for about a day and half drill-pressed off part of her finger and never came back, but that's another story! (And I won't tell it!)

I'm looking forward to a day of real painting tomorrow!!! (I HOPE!)
Deborah

emmachester
08-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement.

Sherry

meowmeow
08-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Geez...I'm gone for a day and too much to keep up with.

I am so excited for you Sophie! Congratulations!

I am sorry about hubby's finger, Mikki...but glad to hear things are going well...at least as well as can be expected. Sounds awful!!!

Glad to hear your ulcers have healed, Kat...sory about the possible surgery. I have taken Nexium...gave me terrible headaches. But it does work...I am on Prilosec but I know all about ulcers...ouch!

WE left 6:30am to go down home from Maine so hubby could work a bit and I could help my parents move into the new assisted living place (it is a wonderful place...should be a good move, I hope)...it was a huge amount and work and in the middle my mother started having TIA's (those sort of mini strokes)..so with the movers still there and boxes everywhere we had medics and the ambulance...she seemed to be doing better but they wanted her to go to the hospital. My father went with her and we stayed with the movers. In the end we had to leave (poor dog was in the garage alone for over 12 hours!) and my brother and sister in law stayed till my father got back. They admitted my mother for observation. We hope it is just question of getting the meds squared away. But what a day.
And...the wedding is a little over 2 weeks away. Now why am I feeling frazzled?

Deborah Secor
08-12-2004, 11:20 PM
Good grief, Sandy! Deborah pulls out the lounge chair, gently shoves Sandy into it, sets a tall, cool iced tea at hand, gives her a good book, puts some soothing music on in the background and says, "Take a looooong break!" You deserve it! That sounds positively herculean. I surely pray your mom just needed some help and is doing fine now. You take it easy, too--we don't want you in the hospital before the wedding!

Deborah

soap
08-13-2004, 12:12 AM
Kyle - I know....but I hate masks and gloves.....don't wanna...... :rolleyes: ....I asked my doctor but he said he did not know.....

Barb, thanks! ;) good news on the storage indeed!

Deborah, - thanks to you too! Yes, I hope to just make the most of the days I still have time to paint. No doubt I'll have to fight to find some time in a few months!
LOL, hubbies and wounds......mine only gets paper cuts..... :p

Sherry - welcome!

SANDY!! OMG - what days you have! Thanks for the congrats btw. You must be the expert now in a course of stress resistance - or else - you are going slowly mad........:D......I thought I had a lot going on.......but you win.....LOL....take it easy and listen to Deborah........take a break!
In order for me to remain my sanity we decided to postpone our wedding untill the baby is about 6 months.......might give us time to get over the shock of being parents. So our preparations are on hold. But we do need to set a new date!
In the mean time we're having the house redecorated and I have the pleasure of the company of the decorators for the fourth week running now. You can imagine how fed up I am with them and with providing them with tea! LOL. Tomorrow morning I am going to have to have a talk with them because we're not happy with some of the work..... :mad: .....annoying as I hate to have to moan to them.
After the house is 'done' I move on to (hopefully, no date set yet) graduate (if that's what you call it in english) and get my Ph.D for which I'll have to defend my thesis in front of a commission of experts........
Oh, and did somebody mention building a nursery, buying tons and tons of baby stuff......and and......

Life certainly ain't boring! :D

Khadres
08-13-2004, 12:56 AM
Wow, Sophie and Sandy! My humdrum life looks really lame in comparison to yours! Hope all is well with your Mom by now, Sandy...what a drain it can be worrying over elderly parents! You want so much for them to be okay and sometimes they just can't be. The assisted living place is definitely a step in the right direction, especially for your Dad.

Congrats on the baby AND the PHd, Sophie....what subject are you going to be doctor of? You certainly have more energy than I do! Good luck with the thesis...I'm sure you'll do just fine!

Kat, I'll keep my fingers crossed about that hernia...hey, the ulcers went away, right? Maybe that ole hernia with just decide to tuck itself back where it belongs all on its own! Doesn't hurt to hope!

soap
08-13-2004, 04:28 AM
Thanks Khadres. The subject of my studies was art history, specialised in architectural history (mostly 17th/18th century England) - hence some of my paintings with buildings......:D

The energy is the only problem- LOL....I don't have that energy!

bnoonan
08-13-2004, 12:13 PM
Sandy - not sure when you will find a moment to come back and visit us but I have to say you win the star this week for hectic happenings... of course you'll have to share the star with Sophie - for another few months.

I have to say, for me, in times like this, I just throw up my hands in acceptance and realize I won't be handed more than I can bear. Oh and some day I'll laugh at all of this... won't I? (and I typically do)

Ladies - best of luck in your adventures and I have to say it's fun getting the regular updates on this... makes me put my own life in perspective at times.

B

meowmeow
08-13-2004, 03:11 PM
I talked to my father this morning and all he is concerned about is getting more boxes unpacked. He is really a very nice, intelligent man but as he gets older and older and in times of stress he can be pretty nutty. After he grumbled for 10 minutes I was able to get a word in and ask how my mother was. Hmmmm....he hadn't heard anything yet...they were waiting for her to be seen my a neurologist. In the meantime I guess they are just monitoring her.
I think having a sense of humor about it all is the only way I can get through it. It is all pretty surreal...I still can't believe the scene there with the movers and the boxes and junk everywhere and then the EMT's and the stretcher. Kind of like a movie where you would laugh and think that would never really happen like that!
Daughter is picking her dress up right now....so I am trying to focus on the good stuff and hope this will turn out to be not too serious with my mother.
Oh well!

With all the other excitement I missed that about your degree, Sophie! What a big year for you!!!! I'm really excited about the baby...is this out first actual WC Pastels Forum baby here? I mean we have had grandchildren but not an actual new baby "of our own" :D...pretty neat!

Anyhow, I think I will try to do a little painting. You all take care...too much going on around here!!!!

E-J
08-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Sophie, I'm so excited about your baby! LOL

I have been reading up about pastels and pregnancy lately, since my husband and I would like to make a baby of our own sometime :) The online sources of information that I could find (surprisingly few - only one or two) left me with the initial horrified impression that exposure to pastel dust was hideously dangerous and toxic and should be avoided at all costs ... BUT then I read and heard a few women's REAL stories, like Deborah's, and realised there is a difference between erring on the side of caution and scaremongering! Some of these sites are guilty of the latter simply as a response to the lack of information out there. I doubt you've exposed your baby to any kind of harm, and stressing out is probably more harmful :) But maybe you should consider using a mask and gloves, even if you dislike them, to be on the safe side. Be scrupulous about cleaning up and don't accidentally ingest any pastel pigment by eating and drinking while you work ... but this is sensible advice for anyone to follow, regardless of whether they're pregnant or not ... I suspect most of us aren't always that careful, though! Also, you could always favour your acrylics for a while. I seem to remember you turning out some pretty terrific paintings in that medium :)

meowmeow
08-13-2004, 04:59 PM
I think your advice, is good, EJ. Be careful, but don't go crazy.
And I will add that you can get used to gloves pretty easily. It just takes using them a few times.

Just talked to my dad again...they will be doing some MRI's tomorrow but they think it is a bloackage of the carotid. She has had it all along but it seems to be worse. Apparently she is still slurring her speech somewhat and other little things. If it is the blockage then the only choice at this time is probably a reaming, which is lousy and pretty risky, but I guess we will cross that bridge when we get to it. Apparently they can't do much more with the medication anymore. And my father sounds totally zonked...I told him to leave the stupid boxes and just rest. I hope he does.

prestonsega
08-13-2004, 05:15 PM
Mercy...what an active life you lead, Sandy!

We're sitting here watching the weather channel preparing for the worst and praying for the best. Hurricane Charlie's origional predicted path was dead straight over my little town...now we are just to the inner left of its path....trying to get some internet time in before the thunderstorms start. I'm sure we are going to have a lot of limbs and trees down when I wake up in the morning. Right now it is eerily quiet...not a leaf moving.

Kat..from what I see on the weather map, you'e pretty much in the same situation as us if the currrent predictions come true!!! Time to hunker down!

As I am typing I see that the eye of the storm has just made land fall.

bogbeast
08-13-2004, 05:22 PM
Boy, life is happening fast and furious around here!

Sandy, hope your mom is doing better by now--my folks moved into a town house at a place in NC last summer, I don't know what you call it, maybe a senior citizens community, lots of houses and townhouses and appartments, community center, assisted living, nursing facility, new exercise center with a pool...just a nice place all around, even my Mom can't complain about anything worse than the neighbors dog that occassionally uses their side of the yard... :p It's a comfort to know that they have a good place that they will be staying for rest of their lives, even if it is too far away. Dad had a TIA about a month ago, and they minimize this stuff so much that since it was "just" his lower leg affected and "just" a TIA, they told me about by e-mail, later! He's got all his fingers, LOL, but his knuckles are plenty scarred, from repairing farm machinery since he was a kid and all that handyman stuff that a Depression-era farm boy learned to do, and not complain about any of it...they grew them tough back then! At least you could be there for them during a real tough time--Dad's TIA was due to his coumadin levels being off, they said. We'll be thinking of you and your family!

Sophie, congrats on the pregnancy! and good luck, of course! As for pastel toxicity, avoid anything that says cadmium or cobalt--you definitely don't want to mess with heavy metals, they are nasty!--but you should be able to obtain Material Safety Data Sheets from the manufacturers of your pastels, and those will tell you which, if any, are toxic. I saw something about it on the web once, but don't remember where! finger cots aren't a bad idea for any of us, especially those who eat while painting :evil: and aren't nearly as annoying as gloves. If you get MSDS sheets and can't interpret them, let me know, I used to do that kind of stuff for a living. Pastels are certainly safer than paints, but don't let Baby eat them! :D

We've decided to go ahead with the foster/adopt thing--kind of a last reassessment before the home study date is set! My primary reservation is that I've just started fluttering my wings art-wise, and I seriously wonder if I'll be able to keep it up with a baby or 3 (we'd like to have 2 or 3 kids--and I guess there are a lot out there who need homes!). Nonetheless, we made out like bandits at our friends' garage sale last weekend, and now have just about everything we need pending arrival of an actual child of specific age--all we know now is "under 2". So I'm excited and a little worried, and not holding my breath because it's still going to take at least a month or more!

Rest up, Sandy and Mikki, you've been through a lot this week! Have a nice weekend, everyone!

bogbeast
08-13-2004, 05:26 PM
Preston, we cross-posted--good luck!! just don't hunker down on low-lying ground--Melissa just said it's a Category 4 headed for Fort Myers area, so you could get incredible rain along with the wind and tornado threat! We be praying for all you southeastern folk!

Khadres
08-14-2004, 01:12 AM
Yep, good luck to you hurricane threatened folks! Keep your pastels and paper dry!

Here's hoping parents are all much better soon and that babies arrive unscathed, as well, when the time comes.

Lib, I know there are hundreds of kids who would be much blessed if you and yours got to give them a home! Eons ago, I was a foster mother for newborns...what a fun time that was! Heartbreaking at times, too, tho. I really do feel that humans should have to show competence to become parents in the first place; far too many hatch the poor mites and then forget about their needs in pursuit of their own. Ah, well, don't get me started on THAT! I just hope you get through all the red tape and have a very happy outcome! (And if you want more than one, there are ALWAYS brothers and sister pairs, etc. that need to be kept together if at all possible! Not nearly enough folks want those, sadly enough.) I have a friend in Texas who started out taking care of foster babies and wound up caring for 200+ over the years and THEN adopted three little girls, one of which had quit speaking due to mistreatment in their birth home. I just received that one's graduation invitation a couple years ago! All turned out happy, healthy, and beautiful! Oh! And I forgot to mention my friend had 6 children of her OWN first! She and her hubby were always on the verge of poor, money wise, but they were and still are all heart. Pat was also a terrible housekeeper...lol...I mean TERRIBLE (we helped straighten things up more than once prior to social worker visits), but she turned out the happiest, most well mannered and healthiest bunch of kids I think I've ever seen...just goes to show. So don't sweat the small stuff!

Mikki Petersen
08-14-2004, 06:28 AM
WhoooHoooo for Sophie! Congratulations! As for toxicity...I was still doing oil painting while pregnant both times and birthed two very healthy children. I also smoked as did their father the whole time they were growing up and they remained two of the healthiest kids in the neighborhood. I also took the occasional social glass of wine without any apparant damage. This was back in the late sixties before the world turned paranoid about living forever and we were all blissfully ignorant of the toxic threat lurking behind every breath and bite of food. More important than worrying about external threats, just take those prenatal vitamins, eat a good healthy diet and get regular rest and exercise and you and the baby will be great!

Sandy, bless your heart! My prayers are with you and your mother, prayers that she recovers and you survive the whirlwind. You certainly have a busy way of doing summer vacation!

Preston, Kat and anyone else in hurricane land...batten down the hatches, tape up those windows, light some candles and have a glass of wine. Mother Nature is on the rampage! We don't get hurricanes around here, but when I lived on Guam many years ago, we had several typhoons (same difference). Scary stuff! We just cope with forest fires, earthquakes and floods around here.

John's finger passed inspection at the doctor's today...healing well. He's over the pain enough that he only needs a couple of tylenol at night. He was back in the shop today so I guess the worst is over.

Still have not painted any...busy playing nurse and legal aide. We go to court on Monday and leave for Santa Fe on Satruday and in between we have to get everything ready for the trip so my red cliffs may still be waiting for my return from vacation. I'm so excited about the trip, I just want to get going! I'm like a little kid that way...guess it comes from growing up in the Air Force...I love to travel!

Libby, our daughter in Seattle and her partner just called to say they are going to go the sperm bank route. Our daughter is going to get pregnant first and then when that child is about two, her partner is going to take a turn. Meanwhile, our son and his wife are in the process of adopting a baby from Russia and are currently going through the home visit and all that rigamarole. All I care is...MORE GRANDKIDS on the horizon! Since 1991, there has been a new arrival about every two years and the youngest is now almost two and I was about to think it was all over in the baby department when the other two kids finally got interested. Good luck to you and your partner!

soap
08-14-2004, 09:57 AM
oh, so many replies - we're all so busy!

Sandy - good luck - I am sure you're mother will be fine. Daughter picking up dresses - oh boy, oh boy! :D :D
A Wetcanvas baby ?? Hee hee.......oh dear.......tons of cyber aunts and uncles!! All mad artists....;) :evil:

EJ - thanks for that. I actually wrote to Talens, who produce Rembrandt pastels and they assured me there was nothing toxic in them. I don't see the point of gloves as pastel dust does not enter your body via your skin (only really nasty stuff does that) a mask is good for the lungs I suppose, but really.....I am not going to do that. Finger crossed.

Lib - wow! Adopting - good luck - sounds great.

Mikki - thanks, yes I try not to panic too much. I am already eating pretty healthy so no need to change much and without a full time job the stress department seems good too.

All we now impulsively did is decide to borrow money from the bank to get a new kitchen before the baby is born because our current kitchen is a real tip and I am sure that after the birth it is dreadful to have to put up with the dust and the rubbish. Scary to borrow for it, but I suppose it is wise.....
My pregnancy won't be boring.....the decorators have not even left yet...
I am tired..........:D

meowmeow
08-14-2004, 10:18 AM
So much baby and "new kid" excitement around here. I am thrilled for all of the recipients...Libby, Mikki and Sophie!
Birth and death...that's what life is about. It's the wonderful things that go on that helps us bear the sad ones.
Hopefully the tiredness will pass soon Sophie. Those first three months are the hardest...the middle three and usually wonderful, then you feel fat and uncomfortable and ready to be done with it all! :D

prestonsega
08-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Sophie....to paraphrase a line from Gone with the Wind. "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin no babies!" But for a single man, I have had more than my share in helping to raise nieces and nephews...... Actually I spoiled them to the point that it caused frustration for my siblings :evil: . When my neice got pregnant while still single, she came to live with me......I was there counting the contractions till her membranes ruptured,,,,but stopped short of the delivery room door :D . (guess we all have our limits).

Seems hurricane Charlie decided he didn't want to visit south Ga...didn't even get a drop of rain,, but I fear Kat is not faring so well....I appreciate the concern from all my WC friends..( at least I now have plenty of bottled water and batteries for the next storm)

Libby....the world if lucky to have folks willing and able to adopt....As I said, I was fortunate in that I could enjoy the kids and send them back to their parents when I tired of them,,,,,,parenthood is not so easy!

Nurse Mikki....glad to hear the good report on your husband's injury....I'm sure having a caring partner by his side has had a positive effect on the healing process.

Kathryn Wilson
08-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Thanks for thinking of me Preston, but Charley has gone by us with less rain than Hurricane Bonnie. I worried through the night about my mom in Florida - Charley hit just 10 miles north of her, but she sustained no damage to her home - odd, huh - but very, very grateful. Must be all the prayers I sent - :D

Mary Robinson
08-14-2004, 06:59 PM
Woo hoo, congrats to all the impending parents (better you than me :D , I did my time, used my get out of jail free card when my youngest daughter left the nest). Glad the hurricane missed everyone nicely. (I hear there are couple more on the way, will keep good thoughts for all of you, and your Mom too, Kat). Sandy, hope your mom fairs well with new things she's facing, and good thoughts to your dad also. Mikki, my dad did the same thing to his fingers (Must be a 'man' thing :evil: ), happy that your hubby is doing so much better.

I've been packing and cleaning, more cleaning more packing had people out to look at the house and we might be leaving a whole lot sooner than expected, perhaps within the next 30 days. I've got my art supplies packed and freaked out the hubby by putting everything next to my old steamer trunk :evil: , he thought I was bringing that along too. We are heading down to Arizona beginning of the month to check out land. I'll be taking pics and posting as many as I can.

Mary

Kitty Wallis
08-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Preston and Kat, I'm relieved to hear you are safe. The media has been reporting scary statistics.

bogbeast
08-14-2004, 09:58 PM
So glad everyone fared well thorugh the hurricanes--well, at tleast thsoe of you I "know" here, there will be hardship enough for others who were more directly effected. Just talked to my parents in Burlington, NC, and they got away with 3/4" of rain and no wind--that's about 50 miles west of Raleigh, where Kat is from, I think.

Thanks for the best wishes, all--some days I think we are crazy to even think of doing kids starting at 50 and 52, other days I'm all excitement! I sure remember how much work they are, and that was when I was younger, and only had one!! But I was also doing a lot of my own growing up then, had a custody battle every year with his father (vindictiiveness is a terrible thing--but it served a good example for me, of how I didn't want to live my life!) was a single parent....I'm sure it won't be any harder this time, just different! If we were younger, we'd consider having our own, but the less able I am to get pregnant, the happier I am, if you get my drift!! :D

Mikki, you just rest up, you'll get back to your pictures in good time. I'm convinced that being the nursemaid is more exhausting than being the nursed, and he did kinda put you through it! It will make a good story for the grandkids, eventually.

Time to go paint!

bogbeast
08-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Wow! my 300th post!!! :D