PDA

View Full Version : Wear It's At 8.9.2004

sassybird
08-09-2004, 03:27 AM
First let me give a congrats to Barrie on her sales, and tell Susie that I have been battling on cutting my hair. It has been to my waist for nearly 10 years, and I just can't seem to take the step. Tell me your secret, gal.

Ok, with that out of the way I wish you all a good morning. It is early morning here as I am a night owl for the most part, so I thought I would start todays thread.

I've been in a funk lately with my artwork. I have several things started, but can't seem to finish anything. I don't hit this block often, but it hurts the noggin' to bump into it unexpectedly.

I have been watching with great interest what all of you have been up to. It takes my breath away at the pieces I see. Reminds me of how far I need to go to get where I want to be in my work. I'm learning a lot as I watch.

And speaking of watches I think I am going to give them a try real soon. Maybe start off with one of my old watches. I see a lot of possiblity there. It will be awhile before I get my disablity money, but I already have some ear marked for good tools, a friend bought me a book on wire work (Thank you CarolinaGal) for Christmas, and I will be ready to stock up on gemstones, chips and different findings. I want to thank each of you that have helped me get started by doing trades with me. You all know who you are:) Your generosity is treasured.

Hey, we actually had a two day cold front move in.........lol Took us all the way down into the 80's. They say the dog days of summer will be back on us in the next couple of days. We have been eating outside every night, and there is nothing like sitting under a shade tree with food and those you love:D

debkauz
08-09-2004, 07:47 AM
Morning Charissa and all who follow,
Glad it's 'cooler' there for you. Chicago is almost chilly this morning. NOT our usual August weather.

Can't wait to read everything as I was out of town the weekend. Two friends and I did 'BeadSafari 2004" and went to Wisconsin to all the bead stores in Baraboo, Madison and Milwaukee. It was a lot of fun but boy am I tired!
Hope you all had as much fun as I did this weekend.

Deb

beclectic
08-09-2004, 08:16 AM
Hi Charissa and Deb and all who follow.

Barrie, a big Congrats!! on your booming sales and having fun at the craft fair. Now you will just have to make more jewelry to show us, Oh darn! :D

Chrissa, sometimes when I get blocked I just do something routine. Like reorganize my supplies or make headpins or something like that. The repetative work seems to take my brain out of gear and let it run around to all the busted ideas and throw stuff up into my concious mind. It is like meditation and seems to restore things eventually. Of course they probably would have been restored anyway but at least I feel productive and good about doing something I needed to do anyway.

Deb, it has been very chilly here in the morning (mid 60s) and getting up into the mid 80s in the afternoon. For Louisville that is about 10 degrees below normal. I'm not complaining. The only thing I don't like about Fall is that Winter is coming. We are having Fall weather with Winter still far away so it is perfect.

I'm happy to say that the further away Michael's did have the color and guage of wire I needed for my Ladybug picnic necklace. I actually got one element made yesterday and it looks like I want it to so I am on my way. I'm hoping to get the 12 elements that will have ladybugs made tonight and get started on sculpting the ladybugs on them. Now that this project is finally taking shape I want to go home and work on it and not be here at work. Oh well, I just have to get through 9 more hours and then I can go home. 9 hours sounds like forever doesn't it? :D

LLane
08-09-2004, 09:15 AM
Morning Charissa, Deb & Barb and all my buddies who come in later!!!

WOW..... Congrats to Barrie!!! What a great show.... and well it should be with your fab pieces!!!

Charissa.... we all get into those spaces and we each find our way out.... sometimes I find that not dwelling on it (or trying anyway :rolleyes: ) helps alot...... Although it's hard.... I push myself to do one thing that I had been thinking of doing.... at least getting started... and sometimes it jump starts me!! Good luck..... we're pulling for you!

So Deb..... do you have a picture of your "take" from this Safari??? :D Sounds WAY fun!

Barb.... yep.... have to agree... 9 hours sounds like misery... but at least you have something to look forward to!!! I agree on the weather thing..... but I cannot complain about these fabulous cool evenings and mornings.... the house stays nice and cool...... does remind me of fall though! Maybe September will be the hot month this year?

Well.... is anyone getting tired of hearing about selling the house? (I am!) The realtor said we should have an offer today from one of the couples that came through yesterday. Funny thing.... one of the realtors left a quarter on her business card and said "I bought the stickers from your garage." (I had not cleaned up everything from garage sale on Sat!!! I found it amusing.

OK..... enough from this girl.... give someone else some space!!! Have a great day all.... I sure love getting up and having someone to have a little "chat" with during my first "cuppa."

Peace,
Lois

McDuck
08-09-2004, 09:31 AM
Good Day Everyone!

Charissa, you are such a talented lady, dont fret over your block. It happens to us all and just aggrevates you to death, I agree with everyone, try something different whether it is so mundane like trimming ALL the dead flowers off of every flowering plant on your property, cleaning the dust bunnies from underneath or behind every item in your house or open your favorite webpage or artistic book and describe in depth the character, qualities, feelings, etc you receive from the item on that page whether it is a painting, drawing, scultpure, jewelry, etc. It might help!

Deb, i am still waiting for summer to occur here in Chicago and I am being CHEATED :mad: :mad: :mad: Where are my over 80 temps into the 100's?? :confused: Where I ask sniffling?

Barbara - you work way to hard at work, constantly I hear you doing this that and the other thing. But isnt it nice to have something fun to look forward to when you are finished at work?

Lois - My Mom just had a contract written on her house, two realtors later and buyers who can truelly afford the house help!

As for me, today it is supposed to reach 80, with intermittent thunderblumpers this afternoon. Well I have some more plants to replant, dirt to buy and going down to the neighbors to help her with her flowers and work we are doing for her. Glaze work to do as I didnt get to do any yesterday spent the day working in teh sun :D it was lovely I tell you! So i need to glaze and pour and form so I can fire later this evening, have orders to send out. Then to work on some high fire items too and display items and the website has to be worked on and updated in a big bad way!

you all have a wonderful day!
Mary

Beads-Me!
08-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Deb, i am still waiting for summer to occur here in Chicago and I am being CHEATED Where are my over 80 temps into the 100's?? Where I ask sniffling?

I'm sniffling right along side you Mary! It was suppose to get to 80 today before the cold front comes through dropping temps to the lowest of the summer. And having had the summer we've had - that means COLD! But it's cloudy and I don't think we're going to get our day of warmth before the chills come... ARGH!!!! ...all right - enough whining for now....

Hi to everyone else! Charissa - this too shall pass! Congrats Barrie - that is so cool!! Lois - good luck! Although I really want you to be here for the Bead Expo... :rolleyes: Deb - a Bead Safari sounds like tons of fun! Show us the stash!

Okay - it's off to make some beads for me! The gallery wants more jewelry so I need to get moving. Although it's hard while the kids are still home - I feel so torn! NOT that I'm ready for s----- to start.... shudder!

Have a great day everyone!!

debkauz
08-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Deb, i am still waiting for summer to occur here in Chicago and I am being CHEATED :mad: :mad: :mad: Where are my over 80 temps into the 100's?? :confused: Where I ask sniffling?

I love it in the 70's but I just feel like we will pay for it somewhere along the line! I don't mind the heat, but you kn ow the CHicago humidity!
I think the sniffles are allergies! LOL :angel:

Deb

TheBlueBetween
08-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Hi everyone, I'm back!

I just had to go back to yesterday's WIA to see what the hubub of Barrie's show was - congrats Barrie - that's great! I'm sure you sold all that wonderful jewelry you had in the S&T the other day - it was FANTABULOUS!!

And OMG Shirley that fawn and dog are so great! What a wonderful dog, she's going to be heartbroken when they take her new baby away from her!

Charissa, I hope you find a way out of your block soon!

Susie, wow, brave girl, now that's a haircut! But you can certainly get away with it - I'm sure I couldn't! And it goes with all your wirework collars! I'm getting mine cut Saturday and I want something new and lighter, but for me that means like 2 inches off max.

Everyone else, you should come and visit me today - it's going to be one of those perfect summer days again - blue blue sky, warm, not too hot (I hope) and clear views of the mountains. Not to rub it in, seriously, anyone want to come visit we can have fun making jewelry and stuff ;)

Well camping was good and bad - friday it POURED - we were so soaked. The raining hitting the tarp above our tent was so loud I couldn't fall asleep. When we got up saturday morning and were all so damp and cold we decided to drive 1/2 an hour to get a hot breakfast. Wimps, I admit. The sky finally cleared up saturday night and Sunday was the most beautiful day of the summer. Here is a picture of the mountain yesterday from Sunrise side of things. And a picture of Luke in between two old growth trees, and some Dr. Seus looking flowers, and a waterfall, and a picture of our emerald green river we camped next to... I want to go back again soon, but maybe not to camp, just a day trip :)

Well off to speech class - hope to have something for the show and tell soon.

:) Pam

Shirley C.
08-09-2004, 01:02 PM
hiya, everyone! it's got to be a quickie drive-by from me today - i've got a bazillion things to catch up on. and i'm heading back to connecticut next monday so i can take care of some business for mom. her target release date (from the nursing home/rehab center) is august 20, and i'm going to put her butt on a plane and get her out here to california. but i've got to figure out how she's going to get her medical care here. (doctors, insurance, ugh!)

pam, those pictures took my breath away. i could use some time away, communing with nature... sigh.

here's some humor i got in an email last night. hope you all have a fabulous day!
-----------------------------------------------------------
NEW DRUGS FOR WOMEN

D A M N I T O L
Take 2 and the rest of the world can go to hell for up to 8 full hours.

ST. M O M M A'S W O R T
Plant extract that treats mom's depression by rendering preschoolers unconscious for up to two days.

E M P T Y N E S T R O G E N
Suppository that eliminates melancholy and loneliness by reminding you of how awful they were as teenagers and how you couldn't wait till they moved out.

P E P T O B I M B O
Liquid silicone drink for single women. Two full cups swallowed before an evening out increases breast size, decreases intelligence, and prevents conception.

D U M B E R O L
When taken with Peptobimbo, can cause dangerously low IQ, resulting in enjoyment of country music and pickup trucks.

F L I P I T O R
Increases life expectancy of commuters by controlling road rage and the urge to flip off other drivers.

M E N I C I L L I N
Potent anti-boy-otic for older women. Increases resistance to such lethal lines as, "You make me want to be a better person. Can we get naked now?"

B U Y A G R A
Injectable stimulant taken prior to shopping.
Increases potency, duration, and credit limit of spending spree.

J A C K A S S P I R I N
Relieves headache caused by a man who can't remember your birthday, anniversary or phone number.

A N T I-T A L K S I D E N T
A spray can carried in a purse or wallet to be used on anyone too eager to share their life stories with total strangers in elevators or on airplanes.

N A G A M E T
When administered to a husband, provides the same irritation level as nagging him all weekend, saving the wife the time and trouble of doing it herself.

DonnaBee
08-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Hi Everyone!!!

yay, thank you for that Shirley.... I love that one. I forwarded it to my mom, who will also appreciate it! ;) :D

I just realized this minute... this is the day I am supposed to have DSL back.... I probably have to install something. Or something. I am not sure! Brian will probably get it going later. Then I am gonna make up for lost time here in Wearables.... viewing all the creations until I am in a stupor!

Friday we went to Six Flags in Gurnee. I am pretty sure I won't visit there anymore. Does anyone remember, back in the day, when Marriott owned it? My dad worked for Marriott when I was a kid and we were there when the place first opened. It was a beautiful and marvelous place...

I won't go on and on complaining about all I don't like about it anymore.... but it's a place for the young kids now. Maybe I am getting old.... those roller coasters about did me in! DH and DS got me on the Raging Bull! It was absolutely terrifying! I screamed so loud I hurt my vocal chords. lol Of course we had fun that day, but I am longing for different types of recreation these days... something more calm... :p

Oh! And then at the end of the day, 9:00 pm, DH Brian and Jon (11) got stuck for an hour on the American Eagle! They were at the bottom of the hill starting to head up. No one was hurt thank goodness. But we missed the parade and fireworks! :(

Yup, I think Great America is for younger sturdier people! I think I need to go lay on the beach in Sanibel for about a week now.... I haven't been there in over a decade...

beclectic
08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Hey Donna, I just wanted to say it has been nice having you around a little more. Hope your DSL gets implimented soon so you can surf your brains out. :D

Gingerbiscuit
08-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Hi everyone!

Well done on your sales Barrie!

Charissa, I hope your block leaves you very soon. Your evening meals sound brilliant. We are having MORE rain. Where is summer?? LOL!

Deb, your bead safari sounds like a great idea. There are so few stores here, Iíd have to be gone for a week to visit but a few.

Barbara, Iím glad you found the wire you wanted. Iím looking forward to seeing your project.

Lois, lots of luck for the house sale. Iím keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Mary, enjoy your garden time. I like ďthunderblumpers!Ē What a great name!

Nancy, Iím glad the gallery want more! Excellent!

Pam, your photos are wonderful! What great views.

Shirley, my best to your Mum. Thanks for the humour!

Donna, I hope you get to enjoy the beach soon!

Have a great day!

Barrie
08-09-2004, 06:20 PM
A belated hello to everyone today! Thanks to everyone for their congrats! I am so happy I have somewhere I can share these things, and you guys 'get it'!! <<<HUGS>>> to all of you!! Charissa, your muse will return, it always does! Sometimes we push too hard, and that makes it worse instead of better! Deb, sounds like a bead safari would be a blast!! Barb, 9 hours can seem like forever! But think of all the creative stuff you get to do later! I can't wait to see your lady bug piece! Lois, we don't mind hearing about you selling your house. I sure hope it sells soon for you! Mary, thunderblumpers! I love it!! Can you arrange some for me while I'm there - they're my favorite! Nancy, congrats on the gallery sales - no surprise, your stuff is fabulous! Pam, gorgeous pictures, glad the weather cleared up for you, sounds like you all had a great time!! Shirley, hope it goes smoothly and you can figure out how to get your mom there safe and sound (health insurance and all!). Thanks for the funnies! Donna, so glad you're with us more often!! Hope the dsl thing gets straightened out soon! Waving to Lynne overseas!!

As for me, I slept in until 10:30 this morning (someting I never do!), and got up, had a quick shower and rushed over to pick up my granddaughter. We didn't see her all weekend, with me at the show and the kids doing other things, so I took her to McDonald's for lunch, then shopping. My youngest son desperately needed some new clothes and Freya (granddaughter) needed pants that fit her - she's growing like a weed. We went to a local little store, so I didn't have to be out and about too long. With my sunburn from yesterday, I want to stay out of the sun completely cause it hurts!!
I'm completely drained today, so I'm taking it easy, going to order some supplies, make two phone calls and call it a day!! I think this evening I'm going to sit on my butt all night and do nothing!!! (Sounds great, but won't actually happen! I'm sure I'll think of something I have/want to do!). I know what I forgot to tell you guys! I had a ring stolen on saturday! The nervy bugger struck while we were swamped, and neither myself or my show partner noticed until later. It was during the frenzy when the customer was buying everything (she came back sunday and bought another ring and a pendant to go with the tons of stuff she bought the day before!). So anyway, I noticed the ring missing, mentioned it, but sure am not going to fret about it. I'll let karma take care of that person! I had way too much fun to let that spoil it for me! The ring taken was a 7mm cubic zirconia (square) on a silver band with 14k gold balls on either side of the stone, so it wasn't one of my creative pieces.
Oh! And before you get completely sick of me (I missed you guys all weekend, by the way! :) ), here's a link to my show partner, Ellen's website! (http://www.myartclub.com/artist.cfm?XYZ=242) I just found out she had one! She's very shy! LOL! She started making jewelry 6 years ago when she took my class, and here she is today, selling her gorgeous work, just as successfully as mine!! I'm so proud of her!!
All right, I'll get out of your hair! Hey! Wait, speaking of hair! Suzie, I really like the new do! I've been tempted many times to chop mine, but probably never will! Kudos to you for being so brave - it looks fabulous!! Okay, now I'm really gone! Have a great day!!

beclectic
08-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Barrie, thanks for sharing Ellen's website. I can see your influence in her work but her work has it's own flavor. That After Dark series ring is too georgeous. Wish I had some money I just didn't know what to do with. It must be great having students producing such lovely stuff and knowing that you helped them get there.

You should sit and watch a movie and fall asleep early. You deserve it. :)

Sorry about the no good taking one of your rings but as you say, what goes around, comes around. Hope you didn't loose too much in materials.

debkauz
08-09-2004, 07:18 PM
A belated hello to everyone today! Thanks to everyone for their congrats! I am so happy I have somewhere I can share these things, and you guys 'get it'!! <<<HUGS>>> to all of you!! Charissa, your muse will return, it always does! Sometimes we push too hard, and that makes it worse instead of better! Deb, sounds like a bead safari would be a blast!! Barb, 9 hours can seem like forever! But think of all the creative stuff you get to do later! I can't wait to see your lady bug piece! Lois, we don't mind hearing about you selling your house. I sure hope it sells soon for you! Mary, thunderblumpers! I love it!! Can you arrange some for me while I'm there - they're my favorite! Nancy, congrats on the gallery sales - no surprise, your stuff is fabulous! Pam, gorgeous pictures, glad the weather cleared up for you, sounds like you all had a great time!! Shirley, hope it goes smoothly and you can figure out how to get your mom there safe and sound (health insurance and all!). Thanks for the funnies! Donna, so glad you're with us more often!! Hope the dsl thing gets straightened out soon! Waving to Lynne overseas!!

As for me, I slept in until 10:30 this morning (someting I never do!), and got up, had a quick shower and rushed over to pick up my granddaughter. We didn't see her all weekend, with me at the show and the kids doing other things, so I took her to McDonald's for lunch, then shopping. My youngest son desperately needed some new clothes and Freya (granddaughter) needed pants that fit her - she's growing like a weed. We went to a local little store, so I didn't have to be out and about too long. With my sunburn from yesterday, I want to stay out of the sun completely cause it hurts!!
I'm completely drained today, so I'm taking it easy, going to order some supplies, make two phone calls and call it a day!! I think this evening I'm going to sit on my butt all night and do nothing!!! (Sounds great, but won't actually happen! I'm sure I'll think of something I have/want to do!). I know what I forgot to tell you guys! I had a ring stolen on saturday! The nervy bugger struck while we were swamped, and neither myself or my show partner noticed until later. It was during the frenzy when the customer was buying everything (she came back sunday and bought another ring and a pendant to go with the tons of stuff she bought the day before!). So anyway, I noticed the ring missing, mentioned it, but sure am not going to fret about it. I'll let karma take care of that person! I had way too much fun to let that spoil it for me! The ring taken was a 7mm cubic zirconia (square) on a silver band with 14k gold balls on either side of the stone, so it wasn't one of my creative pieces.
Oh! And before you get completely sick of me (I missed you guys all weekend, by the way! :) ), here's a link to my show partner, Ellen's website! (http://www.myartclub.com/artist.cfm?XYZ=242) I just found out she had one! She's very shy! LOL! She started making jewelry 6 years ago when she took my class, and here she is today, selling her gorgeous work, just as successfully as mine!! I'm so proud of her!!
All right, I'll get out of your hair! Hey! Wait, speaking of hair! Suzie, I really like the new do! I've been tempted many times to chop mine, but probably never will! Kudos to you for being so brave - it looks fabulous!! Okay, now I'm really gone! Have a great day!!

Barrie,
Fill me in on what's going on! I keep seeing these wonderful things, but I have no idea what has happened!

Debbie

Bangs
08-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Hello to all! I'm coming in late in the day, but wanted to relate spending the afternoon yesterday at the Evanston Lakeshore Art Festival. What a wonderful show, venue, and day. The jewelry artists outnumbered any other type, and there was a wide range of absolutely gorgeous stuff--drool city!!

Steff Korsage's silversmithing absolutely took my breath away--but nothing there I could even hope to afford. Instead, I hung out for a bit with Wendy Witchner, who befriended me at B&B this year.

Here's Steff's site: http://www.steffkjewelry.com/

So I'm full of ideas and enthusiasm. Can't wait for Barrie's class now :D

Barrie
08-09-2004, 11:32 PM
Deb, I was at a GREAT show on the weekend, here's the original thread link. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207973)

I enjoy teaching students, and when they go on to create the most amazing stuff, I'm always so proud. 99% of everything I make doesn't amaze me anymore, I know I can do it. But when a student finishes their first piece, and has that 'aha' moment, feels the thrill of their first finished piece, and it looks good, well, that's how I get my kicks! LOL!

Brenda, thanks for the link. I've seen her stuff in Bead & Button or some other magazine. Beautiful. I can't wait for our class too!! Really getting excited about it!!