PDA

View Full Version : WEEKLY SKETCH THREAD----Aug 9-15, 2004

prestonsega
08-09-2004, 02:22 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the Weekly Sketch thread...a place for fun and growth.

This thread is open to all artists working (or just playing) in pastels - hard, soft or oil. Its goal is to help you find some pastelling time during the busy week by doing quick studies which take 1 hour or less to complete.

Regular sketching in a limited time frame sharpens one's skills and will cause you to experience growth as a pastelist. Sketch directly from life or from a photo. Our Reference Image Library is a rich resource at your fingertips. The goal of this thread isn't to produce a masterpiece, ( although you just might!!!) but to get us in there and enjoy the versatile medium of pastels. This is the place to post anything you've done during the week which took you under one hour....exercises, doodles, or complete paintings...in any style. Post as many works as you wish and if you desire suggestions from other members, remember to ask for them. Because of the short time and fast pace, we will barely have time for a self critique.

Whether you're new to pastels or a galleried professional we hope to see some of your sketches here. The most important thing to remember about this thread is just have FUN!

PS...If you go over an hour, don't worry, post your work anyway.....once we get into sketching, we tend to lose track of time. Many find a timer to be helpful!

dexonsbabe
08-09-2004, 08:01 AM
takes me an hour just to get my equipment out and decide what to paint.........but as I am such a slow worker maybe this is just what I need............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what to draw :D

Lori

Deborah Secor
08-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Hey Preston--thanks for opening this thread! I'll try to get something sketched this week.... :D

Deborah

prestonsega
08-09-2004, 03:53 PM
takes me an hour just to get my equipment out and decide what to paint.........but as I am such a slow worker maybe this is just what I need............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what to draw :D

Lori
Welcome lori.....I thought the same thing when I first saw this thread months ago.......but knowing that everyone knew that I would only be working an hour, freed me up to paint and not worry! Give it a try...there will be more posting as the week continues. And as far as what to draw....what can you see from where you are sitting right now? Have fun ! I look forward to seeing your work here.

Dee..it is my honor to help out and give E-J a break..she did such a great job inspiring me and others to go forward and grow through this weekly exercise. (we'll be looking forward to an entry or 2 from you also!) I hope I can live up to her example.

crogala
08-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Preston, I so like this idea that I will have to join this sketch thread. It will push me to paint more. I have one pbolem at the moment. I can't pull up this website at home. I was painting this weekend and was going to post for feedback and my carrier always returns the default of "this page cannot be found." if anyone out there has SBC in California let me know if there is a trick to it. It must be because of the bad language and indecent pictures. :D I will keep working on it. Even if I cannot post..... my heart will be in the sketch thread.

Deborah Secor
08-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Carol, you might go to the WC site discussions page (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=8) and see if anyone knows the problem. I've had to clean out my cookies sometimes to be able to get connected, so you might try that! Hope you can join us!

Deborah

crogala
08-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Deborah, thanks will try that.

prestonsega
08-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Carol...I am no good at computer technical issues so I think Dee gave you a good resource to check out. (Thanks Dee...that's good info for other future issues as well!) Hope you get your internet problems resolved and we get to see your work soon! Go ahead and do some sketching in the mean time and share with us when your computer permits!

SweetBabyJ
08-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Preston made me do this....

smallish (comparatively) like 10" x 14", mix of softies on maroon-toned Wallis, about 3 hours total. Crystal Kisses ('cause I happened to like the way they all kissed up agin each other....)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2004/9169-crystalkissesul.jpg

crogala
08-10-2004, 04:49 PM
SweetBaby, this is absolutely beautiful. I thought it was limited to an hour. My stuff looks so bad compared to this. UGH!!!!!!!! :confused:

dexonsbabe
08-10-2004, 04:57 PM
fantastic well done not sure if I will be posting now lol

SweetBabyJ
08-10-2004, 05:58 PM
lol- I'm pretty slow at this- I have to take a lot of breaks, so three hours for me IS fast. Plus, I've been working with the crystal pieces for about a month or so now- I can see what I need to see through familiarity, kinda.

Sketch- g'wan- do it. Let yourself go. If we were expecting masterpieces, none of us would do this.

Thank you, Ladies, I like this one, too.

bogbeast
08-10-2004, 06:10 PM
Julie--another beauty, as usual :D I think it's safe to say that you have grasped how to paint glass :p
Lib

Khadres
08-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Lovely, Julie! You say you toned the Wallis with maroon? How did you do this and how deep was the color? I've tried toning mine with Createx watercolor, but if I put it on really dark, it does something weird to the surface....looks curdled or something. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I would love to figure out a way to get a DEEP underpainting.

prestonsega
08-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Julie ..this is a beauty...the colors are very appealing to me,...I would say you accomplished quite a bit in just 3 hours..( time is such linear concept....guess that's why I tend to lose track of it while painting!)...the crystal pistol fires again!
("... Preston made me do this.."...what a joke...lol)..Thanks for contributing...

Kathryn Wilson
08-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Came in to peek to see if y'all were keeping Preston busy - and found this beauty. Julie, you gotta do this LARGE!!! That would be an amazing painting. :clap:

Deborah Secor
08-10-2004, 10:46 PM
I couldn't do this ever--let alone in three hours! Okay--let's have Julie paint ummmm..a...self portrait...no, she's good at that...a...umm...landscape...no, she does those...a...an interior...nope, does those, too. Never mind. She does it all. She just does this better than alla those. Golly, girl, you are so talented!

Seriously, Julie, this is gorgeous. So tell me, how does Preston get ya to do these things? Maybe he could make me do it too...? LOL (In yer dreams!)

Tomorrow is my day to paint, they say. No pastel has sullied these fingernails in days. I may succumb tonight, if I get off this computer!

Deborah

SweetBabyJ
08-10-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm telling you- it's just practice. Dee, you know darned good and well you can whip out a landscape faster'n scat, 'cause you *know* those. The glass just makes sense to me, is all. In fact, lately, like I've been telling Preston, I lay out the initial drawing and feel kinda "Welp, that's done now" 'cause I can already see it. Having to actually lay the colours in just so seems rather tedious, and- hmmmm- a waste of time, almost.

I liked this one because it was semi-abstract- the crop is so nice and tight, you can still tell what things are, but a good squint blurs that knowledge. I've a few more- gonna have to upload 'em to the library one of these days (and I just got them OFF my harddrive burned to disc- sheeeesh!)

Thanks, y'all. Hopefully I'll get better pics of the newer stuff tomorrow.

prestonsega
08-13-2004, 12:55 AM
Well, I reckon everyone's waiting to for me to post before they do, 'cept for the little girl in the front of the classroom who always turns in her test first!! ([email protected] :D )

This is a 55 min study on a 9"x12" Canson oyster colored paper. I worked from a photo I took on the west coast many years ago. I hated this drawing till I finished. Now I'm thinking it might deserve a larger sanded support....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2004/29946-calif-flowercoast.jpg

SweetBabyJ
08-13-2004, 01:22 AM
oooooooooo!! Not bad, Preston- and a landscape to boot!! You're just a multi-talented kinda fella, aren't you? Nice, nice job- good crop, too- I like the angle of the foreground and the thrust of the mid-ground.

Khadres
08-13-2004, 01:50 AM
Ooooo, Preston, this is lucious! Very painterly and rich with color! The water and the sandy cliff are just wonderful! GREAT work for such a quick study! More! More! :D

prestonsega
08-13-2004, 03:15 AM
Thanks Julie and Sooz.....you want more..ok...you got it. Seems once I got painting after not being able to for a couple of days (life gets in the way of painting sometimes ) 1 hour wasn't enough so I painted another color study of a geranium I photographed this past spring. I liked it because the blooms are atypical in that they are somewhat "Pinwheel-sh" young things. I tried to just break the colors down into geometric solid shapes and piece them together, hence the leaves don't necessarily read "realistic", but I was pleased with the display of color..and it was a lot of fun...I particularly like the idea that because its only an hour study, I am made free to "just do it"

9"x 12" Sennelier and Unison on LaCarte brown

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2004/29946-geraniums.jpg

dexonsbabe
08-13-2004, 11:39 AM
very nice...........ok heres mine although took nearly 3 hours but saying that had to do it with pastel pencils and always takes longer using them :D...........fairly happy with the fish but not with the background as I was rushing it and didnt put enough thought into it but hey 1st fish.

prestonsega
08-13-2004, 04:36 PM
Lori....great! you should be happy with this work...I think he has a suspicious expression on his face. ( if I lived in a glass bowl, I'd be a bit suspicious also...lol)... :clap:

For working with pastel pencils, I think you got a good bit done in only such a short time. You say you aren't happy with the background as you were working in a time frame...Let me encourage you to carry this piece forward to a finished stage and post it in its own thread.....I think your blue/violet-yellow/orange complimentary color choices are working well for you.

Tell me, don't you think the limited time constraints forced you to "just do it"..

Nice!

dexonsbabe
08-13-2004, 05:28 PM
thankyou preston and yes the time limit did force me to just do it and have to say enjoyed every minute of it.......although not happy with background not sure what to do about it, I have attached the photo I did it from and would appreciate any advise anyone can give.

Thanks one and all :)

prestonsega
08-13-2004, 05:38 PM
thankyou preston and yes the time limit did force me to just do it and have to say enjoyed every minute of it.......although not happy with background not sure what to do about it, I have attached the photo I did it from and would appreciate any advise anyone can give.

Thanks one and all :)

I suggest the battle cry of art teachers throughout history..."Push the darks!"... :D ..lol...

You have a great start here...perhaps others can give more help.. :) .

bogbeast
08-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Nice stuff, Preston and Lori!

I hope to finally get my fingers dirty this afternoon--I promised myself 3-4 days straight of mostly painting last weekend, but couldn't manage a thing while I sick, and between catching up around the house, and doing my partner's share of dog walking due to her broken toe :angel: (what does she expect when she walks into a concrete curb???), and then a protest march last night in san Francisco due to the state courts nullifying our marriage :mad: --yes, we expected it, but...but I won't go into politics here!!!! Well, anyway, I have pictures in my head, and pictures downloaded to paint from, but not a bloomin' thing on paper yet...

bogbeast
08-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Preston, are we responding to the same stuff at the same time, or what?? :D

dexonsbabe
08-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks Preston lol :D

Deborah Secor
08-13-2004, 05:52 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2004/23609-rockshadows.jpg

Rock Shadows, ~4x17", on Wallis, done in about an hour. (Done as a demo on how to paint rocks for my class and not even close to finished yet!)

Preston, I love the landscape! Very nice angles and rhythms. Soothing colors. The flowers are cheerful and fun, too. I really like what you're doing with these...

Lori, I like the fish. The colors are a good start. I agree with Preston--you could easily finish this one! :D

Deborah

prestonsega
08-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Libby...I thought about you when I heard the news about the nullification..... but your happy memories of that day can't be nullified!!! Hang on to that....Yes, sometimes life gets in the way of painting, but gosh it feels good to get back into the dust. We'll be looking forward to your sketch post!!

Dee, ....It wouldn't occur to me to paint rocks in such an extreme horizontal format, but you sure pulled it off. I learn something with each post you make! I think the unexpectedness of the layout helps create a very strong composition. And such colorful rocks and shadows...thanks for contributing this rich beauty....and thanks for your encouraging comments..they're much appreciated!

Khadres
08-13-2004, 10:55 PM
Love the colors in that geranium, Preston and the rocks rock, Deborah....aren't those odd shapes fun to do? I have a longish composition in mind of a rocky shore...maybe about 12ish by 20 or so...A little bit different shape can be a nice change of pace.

Lori? The fish is cool! Give him a nice deep, shady home amongst the plants and he'll be so alive he'll jump out of the tank!

bogbeast
08-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Deborah, I love those rocks!!! Not finished yet? what do you plan to do to them? Show us!

and ditto to what sooz said, preston and Lori!

Don't worry, Preston, the cretificate is being framed and hung--but it will be very strange to go through it a second time, when it "legalized" again--the first packed an emotional wallop that I had not expected. one step on a long road. Thanks for your thoughtfulness!

weckster
08-15-2004, 07:36 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2004/9169-crystalkissesul.jpg

SBJ - this is MAGNIFICENT!.

E-J
08-15-2004, 09:14 AM
Only just getting around to uploading this sketch from a couple of weeks back. I'm starting to feel that if I post one more lily picture I will drive everyone here to derangement, but here it is anyway, sketched from life in 45 mins. It's nowhere near as accomplished as Julie's mouthdropping masterpiece of kissing crystal, but that's because I didn't cheat with the time, ha ha ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/13865-27july04.jpg

Preston, your cliffs definitely deserve to 'go large'. I especially like the softness of your geranium, though - nice work! You are doing a splendid job with the sketch thread.

Libby, sorry to hear about the nullification, which we heard about on the news here. Sounds like they've made an extremely unnecessary and mean-spirited decision. Ouch, I hope your partner didn't have to march with a broken toe.

Lori, I think your fish's eye is particularly well done - really looks alive. I see you've since posted this to its own thread and I look forward to seeing what advice you get on your background. I would go insane working with the pencils ... pastels have spoiled me and made me such an impatient painter!

Deborah, lovely unexpected format with those pebbles, and soft, subtle, 'pastel' colours. I've just discovered your ESP thread and am working my way through it and I'd like to thank you for the generous contribution you make to the forum :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
08-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Dee, I love that size format - just zeroes in on the subject, eh? You are a master at doing rocks and I hope someday you will include this lesson for the soft pastels studio! I gather there is a tree throwing a shadow across the rocks, hence the stripped grey rock?

E-J - I love your lilies - I like the red scumbled on the blue in the background. Are we going to see a big painting based on these sketches?? I think it would be wonderful!

:clap:

prestonsega
08-15-2004, 03:43 PM
EJ!!!! hey you!!! Glad to see you here! Thanks for the kudos on my sketches....especially re. the geraniums...as you are the resident "flower girl", it really means a lot.

I doubt we can tire of your lillies...each painting is so uniquely different...I bet they look great all framed and hung on a gallery wall..( or even better on my home wall! ).

binkie
08-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Great sketches!!

Julie, what else can I say about your glass? You know I think your glass is simply striking.

Preston,Your work is always lovely, and I particularly like the geraniums. Your cliffs are so well done.

Lori, your fish is great! Reminds me of the goldfish I had as a child. It was named Barney Google.

Deborah, your rocks are super. I love the colors and shadows.

EJ, your lillies are always gorgeous! I love the colors you used.

Below is my entry. Worked about 2 hours of this. No background yet but it's coming along. Her name is Iso and I'm doing it for a special friend.

gwen

prestonsega
08-15-2004, 05:25 PM
Gwen...great sketch....and glad you entered it for us to see.....I hope this little fella's going to get his own thread when he's finishsed....He (She?) has a very inquisitive expression....Not being a dog person, I'm not sure if that's characteristic of the breed or if its his individual personality, but you sure nailed it!

Alright ya'll....the clock is ticking down to the end of this week!!! Get your sketches for this week posted...(the sound of a whip cracking in the background can be heard...lol...) If you haven't had time to do any so far,,there's still a few hours left on the clock....(at least in my time zone) There will be a link to this week's thread posted along with the upcoming one.

tick, tock, tick, tock

Khadres
08-15-2004, 06:51 PM
Below is my entry. Worked about 2 hours of this. No background yet but it's coming along. Her name is Iso and I'm doing it for a special friend.
gwen

Awww, these little dogs are so sweeeet! Your friend should LOVE this when you're done. Her sweet nature just shines in her expression. Well done!

Khadres
08-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Geez, Preston! What a slavedriver! I just don't have anything for this week, but I'll do me best for next, k?

bnoonan
08-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Gwen,

My friends who have two french bull dogs just went out the door and I think this painting of your's is one they would really have enjoyed seeing. I'll have to show them another time.

Well done and wow - just in 2 hours. Barb

Great sketches!!

Julie, what else can I say about your glass? You know I think your glass is simply striking.

Preston,Your work is always lovely, and I particularly like the geraniums. Your cliffs are so well done.

Lori, your fish is great! Reminds me of the goldfish I had as a child. It was named Barney Google.

Deborah, your rocks are super. I love the colors and shadows.

EJ, your lillies are always gorgeous! I love the colors you used.

gwen

bnoonan
08-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Wow wee.... you guys are really cooking up some wonderful work here. love the two paintings by Preston - I think of you more in figure work and these are just great!!! Julie - what can I say? They kiss perfection in those reflections.

EJ - love the lilies and I know there are more coming - it's great to see how you capture them each time.

Deborah - you never taught me how to paint rocks - wow - that's another whole talent you seem to share with all that fantastic landscape work.

Well you all have me green with envy so I had better kick something into gear within the next few hours before august 15th is nigh.

B

bogbeast
08-15-2004, 08:30 PM
Gwen, that has to be one of the world's sweetest and most mellow Bostons! What a fine picture!! :clap:

bnoonan
08-15-2004, 09:08 PM
Well - here's my 40 minute attempt at something.

Barb

prestonsega
08-15-2004, 10:07 PM
Barb...this is great!!!! When I saw it I immediately thought, "Bowling Ball Blues"...lol.......(something I experience when I bowl because I'm so lowsy at the game!) You and your visitors didn't by chance go bowling this weekend did you???? I never thought of looking at these objects in such a dramatic light.....even in your sketches, there is that style which is so uniquely yours!!!! :clap:

prestonsega
08-15-2004, 10:13 PM
Geez, Preston! What a slavedriver! I just don't have anything for this week, but I'll do me best for next, k?

Sooz...Since you live farther west than I, you still have 3+ hours to work... :evil: ..ok,ok,,,We'll catch yours next week... :)

Thanks for supporting this thread ....your thoughts and comments are always appreciated!

Khadres
08-15-2004, 10:15 PM
Now this just goes to show....ANYTHING can make a great picture! (I'm lousey at bowling too...queen of the gutter balls, that's me!) I stand in awe of anyone who can make a bowling bag look lyrical and beautiful. We should dream up challenges for Barb of stuff we THINK she can't possibly make into great art and see what happens! Ummmm....oh! I have one...inspired by my chore of the day...a toilet brush, rubber gloves, and a can of cleanser powder! Go to it, Barb! :evil: (I bet she could do it, too!)

Deborah Secor
08-15-2004, 10:18 PM
WoooHooo! Is this the rumored but as yet unseen bowling series start, Barb???? Love it. And I love Preston's title too...

Deborah

prestonsega
08-15-2004, 10:21 PM
Now this just goes to show....ANYTHING can make a great picture! (I'm lousey at bowling too...queen of the gutter balls, that's me!) I stand in awe of anyone who can make a bowling bag look lyrical and beautiful. We should dream up challenges for Barb of stuff we THINK she can't possibly make into great art and see what happens! Ummmm....oh! I have one...inspired by my chore of the day...a toilet brush, rubber gloves, and a can of cleanser powder! Go to it, Barb! :evil: (I bet she could do it, too!)

I would be willing to bet that Barb would not only produce a great work,she would sell it to theTidy Bowl company for big $!!!! :D

bnoonan
08-15-2004, 10:46 PM
You guys have a greater sense of humor than I do on this piece. Actually Bowling Ball Blues is a study for a larger and more important series that Deborah alluded to... it's in the future.

As for the gloves, toilet brush and cleanser - give me time - I'll see what I can do. I just cracked a bottle of wine and the pizza is ordered so it may actually happen.

You should see what I'm doing with the artwork I'm prepared to trash at the moment. It's really bizaaaarrreee....

Barb

bnoonan
08-16-2004, 12:40 AM
Never dare me Sooz!!!! (50 minutes on this one)

Barb

Deborah Secor
08-16-2004, 12:52 AM
ROFLOL!!!!! HAR HAR HAR!!!

She did it! Only Barb would do this and do it SO well!!! :D

What else can we dare her to paint..?

Deborah

prestonsega
08-16-2004, 12:53 AM
This is fan-dang-tastic!!!! Your jokes are even credible art!!!!! Wow,,,the complimentary orange/ blue really work in the illustrative pastel sketch....and you beat the midnight time.....This is why I hang around you guys!!!! :clap:

In just a few more minutes, I can post in next weeks thread,...and you still have time do more for this one ( California time) Bring 'em on!

bnoonan
08-16-2004, 12:53 AM
Hi Deborah - actually I found a sliver of sunlight that came into the apartment after bouncing off a window in the apt. bldg across the street. It inspired this photo for a painting and another one on the easel - of windex. I'll post it by morning if I can figure out colors in this lighting. I need a true light to attach to my easel.

Barb

bnoonan
08-16-2004, 12:55 AM
Missed you Preston - yup - it's still legally the 15th here and a new one is in the works... Glad you like this - hopefully Sooz will wake up to her morning cleaning tasks with pleasure.... :evil:

binkie
08-16-2004, 01:26 AM
You guys are such a crack up. LOL

Barb, your bowling ball is really neat. I haven't been bowling for years. Your toilet brush is too much. and you did such a great job with it too. I'll never be able to clean another toilet without thinking of you. :evil:

gwen

bnoonan
08-16-2004, 01:35 AM
Gwen - that's sad - that you have to think of my particular toilet bowl brush. Yikes - I hate being remembered for such things.

One final piece before I sign off for the night -

HEY SOOZ - DON'T FORGET TO CLEAN THE WINDOWS TOO!!!!

prestonsega
08-16-2004, 01:57 AM
Barb!!!!!!!! These are certainly fab-hotdog-ulous sketches. I'm far from knowledgable when it comes to the topic of galleries and marketability, but I believe there are potential clients that would eat this type of work up...especially where you live. It would definately grab my attention and cause me to look at your other works. :clap: :clap: Thanks for submitting them and showing just what one can accomplish in under an hour if the motivation is there....

Sooz, you have proven to be quite an inspiration to our sketching artists! Thanks.

binkie
08-16-2004, 02:21 AM
Barb, it's not sad at all! I'll have a grin on my face when cleaning the bathroom from now on. And even when I clean the mirror with Windex. hehe

Khadres
08-16-2004, 02:27 AM
Never dare me Sooz!!!! (50 minutes on this one)

Barb

HEY! I LIKE this one! Look at that abstracty composition there! Great colors, too! Bet Pine-Sol would buy this in a minute! Geez, I'll have to think harder next time....gimme a day or two! :evil:

And I already did the windows, nyah, nyah! How bout a sinkful of dishes and pots n pans next? I hear tell that dried on egg yolk and orange juice pulp stuck to the inside of a glass work really good against fiesta blue dishes! Nah, cancel that request....asking someone to paint the dishes just adds TOO much insult to injury! Do something fun this time like....a bowl of popcorn and a Coke in a can! At least that's edible!

bnoonan
08-16-2004, 11:42 AM
Glad I can provide entertainment value to this group. Actually I think you may be right about the marketability. I'll consider doing a few more of the cleaning supplies and see how I do.

Gwen - Sooz - no brand names mentioned - please!!!

Well off to paint a still life in oil but I have to admit these were much more fun to create and whip off in such short an amount of time.

As for popcorn and coke - it will be hard to pop it without eating it right away but I'll have to give it a try sometime. (I imagine it will be really challenging).

Barb

bogbeast
08-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Oh, the ideas for series that you guys bring up: cleaning supplies, dishes by the sink (not visibly grubby, preferably) and in the drainer, movie snacks...all those artifacts of daily life, improbably transformed into art! Great pics, Barb, and great thread, all!!!