PDA

View Full Version : 1st commission

ARTeries
10-12-2001, 04:49 PM
Hi, everyone. . . I'm a relatively new artist. Here is my first commissioned piece. It is soft pastel on Ersta paper. 11x17. It is a ranch style home converted to office space for a dental practice. This image is not as bright as the actual painting, but here it is. . .

http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolio3/a/arteries/The_Practice-1002904235.jpg

Let me know what you think. Any beginning business tips are appreciated! :)

Thanks,

ARTeries

LDianeJohnson
10-12-2001, 07:55 PM
ARTeries

Did you post this painting or a preliminary version of this somewhere? I think I have seen this office before. Please refresh my memory if you did. I remember it well...

This final piece appears to have a greater sense of richness and depth than when I last saw it. Nice detailing as well. And the lighted tree tops on the left are beautifully done.

Good job...I know they will enjoy this!

Diane

ARTeries
10-12-2001, 09:59 PM
Thank you for your encouraging words, Diane.

Yes, you have seen it before; I almost had it completed for the cafe's Summer show in August.

Thank you for commenting.

ARTeries

dawnlee
10-15-2001, 05:50 AM
:) your painting is great! i've been wanting to get into home-house portraits but couldn't figure out how to go about it with pastels. are there any specific aides you used or any thing you may reccomend?

ARTeries
10-15-2001, 09:17 AM
Dawnlee,

You will not believe this, but I read your profile. I am also a pastel artist, stay at home mom, and Registered Nurse! When people ask me what I do, that is my "catch all" phrase.

As for the painting of the house, the home is actally located in my hometown, so I am familiar w/ the building. I worked from photos of the building that I had taken as well as the client's because I am out of state.

It is actually the first house I did in pastels. I attempted one of my brother and sister-in-law's home in oil, but I have a hard time controlling the brush. Plus, I hate waiting for the paint to dry.

Other than that, I just painted what I saw. Think of the seasons and what you would like to paint. . fall, winter, spring etc. and how these would affect the landscape. Also, what time of day as the sun would cast light and or shadows on the house. For instance, afternoon shadows are longer.

Good luck to you. God bless.

Kristin (ARTeries)

4vincent
10-16-2001, 11:36 AM
...just a little insert

As far as Dawnlee's question; I used to find Nupastel sticks very helpful, when rendering home/architectural works. They
enable you to make clean concise strokes of color in small areas, like around windows, textured rooftops, etc. Ken

Javier
10-18-2001, 10:45 PM
Kristin, wanted a better look at your painting, so I lighten it and resized it -- hope you don't mind.

It is very nice -- I'm just visiting -- I'm a watercolourist.

The Very Best,

ARTeries
10-19-2001, 08:47 AM
Javier,

Those colors are actually much closer to the original. Thanks! :)

Kristin

Sandi
10-22-2001, 12:40 AM
Very professional quality. Nice work! Love that blue road.