PDA

View Full Version : I invented something! Maybe even 2 things...

BlueBuddha
08-09-2004, 12:11 AM
This post is nothing more than me honking my own horn. :) I've been crazy swamped with projects, and this weekend I'd had enough and took a break. For me, that means I sat down with a pile of rings to "have some fun" by putting them together in new ways. In the process, I came up with two new weaves! Well, one of them is new, but the other might be a known weave (I've got some maillers helping me look into it.)

The first weave I call "Chaotic Helix." This weave naturally spirals. From a distance it looks very much like a helix, but the closer you get to it, the "busier" and crazier looking it gets. It seems super complicated, but is actually quite easy to make. (You may shake your head and not believe me, but it's true. The pattern is only 2 steps repeated over and over.) It's a bit stiff of a weave, though. I want to make a necklace out of it, but I'm not sure how practical it will be. I don't care. Right now I'm just psyched that I invented something!

The second weave I haven't named yet, since I don't know if it is new or not. And I'm feeling kinda creatively drained, so if you have any name suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em!

Enjoy!

And now back to work, doing things that will actually make me some money. ;)

ringslingin
08-09-2004, 02:39 AM
Hey girl...

Those are two very awesome weaves!!! If you do find out that you have invented them, you WILL be making tut's for them, right??? If so, I want first crack at em!

Denise

sassybird
08-09-2004, 03:08 AM
I am very impressed. I still have most of the jump rings you sent me, and I should sit down and play. I would love to do a head piece for myself. I need to learn more about this jewelry making technique. It is like a puzzle to me :confused:

GardensOnGlass
08-09-2004, 07:53 AM
I especially like the first one, Rebecca. I like how it's thick & thin. Your site it great, by the way. I've taken one maile class at The Beadin' Path here, a Byzantine bracelet. I made one for myself, another for my daughter, and now my younger daughter wants one. I'd like to learn another weave. Wish you were closer. The Caravan Beads here (the original) doesn't offer interesting classes, only The Beadin' Path.

beclectic
08-09-2004, 08:35 AM
Wow Rebecca inventing a pattern in maille is really impressive. I know very little about maille but I do know that there is a huge number of patterns and coming up with somethin new can't be easy.

I like the first twisted design, Chaotic Helix. If some of the rings were smaller or larger than others would that give the piece more movement so that you could use it for a necklace?

You'll have to let us know if your second design is new too? How about telling us what is special about that design so we can think of some good names in case it is new? I enjoy naming things.

McDuck
08-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Rebecca- Cudos on both the weaves, I actually really like the second one best, but the forst I can see many nice large holed focals running across it! you should be proud!
-Mary

Beads-Me!
08-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Congratulations!! :clap:

BlueBuddha
08-09-2004, 10:58 AM
I added a few rows to the 2nd one, and once I'd done that, I figured out what weave it is: Half Persian 3 Sheet 6-in-1, (*yawn* boring name!)

The funny thing is, I tried to do this weave a few months ago, and wound up with Sheet 5-in-1 instead! This time, I wasn't aiming for it, and there it was!

I haven't seen the weave done the way I make it, though, on a "bias." I like it this way much better than the way I usually see it, and think that at this width (1.5 cm) it would make a really sweet bracelet.

Bangs
08-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Well, both are quite impressive. Makes my eyes water to think about how much maille some of you do!! :p

BlindCaveFish
08-09-2004, 10:27 PM
Fantastic!
I'm with Mary, I really like the second one. I love making wide maille bracelets, although I have not gotten into the relm of making up new weaves like you have. Truly can't wait for your tutorial!

Andee
08-10-2004, 05:43 AM
Wow, absolutely stunning work! It must feel SO good to develop a new pattern/style/thing, congrats! :)

Gingerbiscuit
08-10-2004, 08:42 AM
These are both wonderful! :)

BlueBuddha
08-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Thanks for all the wonderful comments! I am quite excited about both weaves. Even if I didn't invent the 2nd one, I'm proud to have figured it out, and to have discovered a new way of weaving it. Can't wait for my ring shipment to arrive, so I can actually finish these pieces. I'll post pictures of the necklace and bracelet when they're done.

beadyeyedgirls
08-11-2004, 01:49 AM
ooh, that first one is really cool, rebecca! :clap: kudos to you! & i think barbara's on the right track about ring sizes making it more flexible.