PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for an August Challenge??

snootyvixen
08-07-2004, 02:22 PM
Each time I go to my torch, my girls request that I make something. Lately, it's been "Hamtaro" from Paris and "Teletubbies" from Ciel.

After seeing Sharon Peters demo at the Gathering, I took her advice and got a book from the library on drawing animated characters, and now, I think I can do this!

So, my idea for a challenge was to make a bead of your favorite animated character - of course, these are only for personal consumption LMAO!!!! Copyright would prevent you from selling your new creations, right?

So, let's get out there and make cartoons!!!

Vikki

Jacinthe
08-07-2004, 04:00 PM
This will give me that added incentive to make this special bead for a friend of mine. I'm in... :-)

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

thewildbunny
08-07-2004, 04:32 PM
When I was doing clay, I had a line of beads I did that were um...well, well-endowed women. I've been dying to try them in glass, I just wonder if they would be too heavy.

But then if it's a choice between my babe beads or Garfield, I may finally attempt the babes.

snootyvixen
08-07-2004, 04:40 PM
When I was doing clay, I had a line of beads I did that were um...well, well-endowed women. I've been dying to try them in glass, I just wonder if they would be too heavy.

But then if it's a choice between my babe beads or Garfield, I may finally attempt the babes.

.... or both!

Thanks Bunny & Jacinthe!

Vikki

Flame Of Mind
08-07-2004, 06:30 PM
I'm in Vikki!

I've got three little ones here to give me ideas!

Jacinthe
08-08-2004, 07:58 AM
Here we go, my first entries in the August Animated Characters in Glass Challenge. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2004/20424-8aug1.jpg

The big one on the right was the first one, she just got TOO big, so I made kitty number two the one on the left. I think she turned out pretty good. :) She's for my friend who is absolutely crazy about Hello Kitty.

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

NYCindy
08-08-2004, 08:39 AM
Sarah,

Those are ADORABLE!!! You did well!

There are sooo many Anime characters that I could do - my son is an anime freak!!! He spends more time drawing Anime than studying in school (and the grades to prove it! LOL!!) We'll see what I can come up with - I always want to participate in these and then my learning curve is too long - I create things wayyyyy after the deadline! :-)

Cindy

Here we go, my first entries in the August Animated Characters in Glass Challenge. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2004/20424-8aug1.jpg

The big one on the right was the first one, she just got TOO big, so I made kitty number two the one on the left. I think she turned out pretty good. :) She's for my friend who is absolutely crazy about Hello Kitty.

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

Flame Of Mind
08-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Sarah!
Those are adorable! I love it!!!! :clap: :clap: You have raised the bar!

snootyvixen
08-08-2004, 02:33 PM

Oh YEAH!!!! Well done, Sarah!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

(You also get the dubious honor of picking next months challenge - if you want to! Not yet though ...... let's get more animated characters up here first!)

Vikki

thewildbunny
08-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Those are wonderful Sarah!

I'm getting kind of nervous...lol

saucy
08-09-2004, 03:43 AM
I'm a pokemon addict so I'll give it a go. I love Pikachu and all the others although I haven't gotten completely through my Sapphire and Ruby games yet. Guess I'll go dig out all my Pokemon stuff. :clap:

NLC
08-11-2004, 01:38 AM
Well, he wasn't made for the challenge, but he turned out so well I need to show him off. :)

Can't wait to see everyone else's contributions - maybe I'll give Opus and Dogbert a try...

Nikki

snootyvixen
08-11-2004, 02:01 AM
Well, he wasn't made for the challenge, but he turned out so well I need to show him off. :)

Can't wait to see everyone else's contributions - maybe I'll give Opus and Dogbert a try...

Nikki

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2004/14836-woohoo_smiley.gif

I just love Spongebob!!!

Vikki
(who can't get to the torch until Friday *pout*)

Retta Gates
08-11-2004, 02:08 AM
I would love to have a "Gary the slug" from Spongebob but I haven't been able to do him justice. :(

Hmm, who else...

snootyvixen
08-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Hehe! I'd be afraid his little antenna would be too fragile.

I'm thinking along the lines of Pokemon and the PowerPuff girls.

I did make a "Clifford the Big Red Dog" bead a while back, but I can't find the pic now!

Vikki

DebbieSue
08-11-2004, 12:55 PM
That Hello Kitty is adorable! Great job! :clap:

Debbie

Aardvark Art
08-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Hi All-
I just wanted to let everyone know that I made Frylock so no one else would have to. Here it is. I hope.

-Cathy d.b.a. Aardvark Art Glass

snootyvixen
08-13-2004, 12:08 AM
Your first post! Welcome to WC!!

I love your Frylock! I have no idea who he is, but he looks fantastic.

Vikki
... off to google Frylock .....

snootyvixen
08-13-2004, 12:13 AM
AHHHH!!! I have it now!!

Check this out ... I took the quiz, and ....

You're Frylock! The brains of the operation, you like to use your smarts for fighting crime and solving problems. Often, you wonder why people are such idiots.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force - which character are you?
brought to you by http://quizilla.com

Oops - here's the link (http://quizilla.com/users/liminalspace/quizzes/Aqua%20Teen%20Hunger%20Force%20-%20which%20character%20are%20you%3F/)

Retta Gates
08-13-2004, 02:24 AM
I haven't found that one. I liked this quiz though, a very cute picture and a nice description of me ;)

You have a kind soul! What can be better than cooking lemon-pastries? Only helping out sick kids of course! Congratulations, you have a kind soul. Known for your purity and goodness you follow your heart and your brain. The path you seem to talk on is golden, and your touch can make others forget about their pain. Your always the one who donates to charity, feeds the squirrels in the park, and volunteers down at the shelter. Youre determined to make the world a better place, and be sweet and thoughtful everywhere. You are probably multi-talented, and others love being around you. Be careful though. Dont let them take advantage of you.

AlaskaBarb
08-14-2004, 07:10 AM
Hey, SnootyV.

Never tried cartoons before -- heck, I'm still trying to make round beads! But I gave it a go. All afternoon. None of mine are as finely done as your Hello Kitty, but heck, it's just for fun, right? We'd go to jail if we tried to sell them.

I'm a Tim Burton fan, so I made Brie Boy and Toxic Boy. I had to use microscopic stringer for the mouth, like thread.

Cartman from South Park was easier. (Maybe I'll try to make a whole South Park totem pole tomorrow, with Kenny impaled upside down.)

Betty Boop ended up looking a little like Chuckie in drag, eew, so I'll have to try that one again. Felix is okay -- but I'm going to make another Yoda.

This is fun! I could piddle away the whole weekend doing this. :p

Pax,
Barb

llglassdesigns
08-14-2004, 07:59 AM
Sarah, Nikki, Cathy, Barb

These are awesome. What a fun idea.

Deb

firemonkey
08-14-2004, 12:02 PM
So COOOOL! :cool:
I love these!
Barb, forget the round beads! I think maybe you've found your "calling"??

Jamn!
08-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Wow what awsome replicas! I will have to try a spongebob. Especially if my kids see this thread. lol

snootyvixen
08-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Barb! Those are wonderful!!!

I think Betty Boop looks just fine, but my favorite has to be Yoda - ya done good!!!

Vikki

Oh, mine just came out of the kiln, waiting to be cleaned .....

AlaskaBarb
08-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Aw, man, you guys are so nice! I never post bead pics, 'cause everyone else's are so much better. But these are just goofy and fun -- and way better than weeding the garden today!

Anyway, thanks! Maybe I'll try some more.

Love,
Barb

snootyvixen
08-14-2004, 04:02 PM
Well Barb, I agree - this may be your calling, because I couldn't fault one of those beads! you're a cartoonin' fool!

My girls keep dangling these Hamtaro and Teletubbie key rings in front of my face LOL

Vikki

AlaskaBarb
08-15-2004, 11:36 PM
Well, since you guys were so encouraging, I made some more -- and, as usual, I've gone "all out" photographing them --lol! :p

The dog and bone is sort of a copy of Sharon Peter's work -- not a cartoon character, exactly -- but I wanted one of those with a dachshund.

I didn't label them, but there's Daffy Duck, a couple of Simpsons, Scooby Doo, Mr. Potato Head, and Tweety Bird.
---

Usually, when show DH my stuff, he's says something like, "yeah, they're okay, but what's a GUY supposed to do with them?" He did like these, though.

Hugs,
Barb

AlaskaBarb
08-16-2004, 04:29 AM
Oops. That wasn't a good pic of Daffy or Scooby. I'll post another mug shot.

Barb

craftylady
08-16-2004, 06:54 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Barb those are so good!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

My little one says tweetie is the best! My oldest son like scooby doo.

I like them all.

snootyvixen
08-16-2004, 07:00 PM
Barb - those are WONDERFUL!!! Man, you've really picked this up and run with it.

I'm ashamed to say that my ONE challenge bead (so far) broke in half. I've been filling orders and haven't had much time to do my *own* stuff - but I'll try again tomorrow.

Vikki

AlaskaBarb
08-16-2004, 07:40 PM
Thanks, Guys!!!

I had to laugh -- you can pretty much tell how old I am by what characters I picked.

Yeah, I was definitely hoping others would do some -- don't want to be the only one.

I'm not trying to hog the thread --It's just nice to finally be able to do SOMETHING that doesn't totally suck!

I have a couple more days I can fool around, so I'm going to try a Ferengi from Star Trek. They're so ugly, the bead has to come out right!!

Thanks -- Tweetie is my husband's favorite, too. He's as old as me.

Hugs,
B

AlaskaBarb
08-17-2004, 02:52 PM
So, I tried Jabba the Hut.

I figured "big blob, what could go wrong?"

Wow, big grey blobs can be harder than I thought! I could *not* get the pinky area of his face right. All I had was some silver pink and some powder pink -- and they wouldn't blend right with Jabba Grey. UGH. Looked like a melted grey ball of dryer lint-colored bubble gum. I diddled, piddled, paddled and melted for an hour before I got totally P.O.'d and threw the mandrel on the floor!! Guess I'll try again when I'm not mad at him.

I memorialized the ordeal with a pic. :crying:

"Donkey" from Shrek came out sort of cute, though. Poor thing, after two and a half hours, he was still the only bead in the annealer.

Barb

JavaGirlBT
08-17-2004, 04:43 PM
Wow, Barb, your cartoon beads are so amazing!

snootyvixen
08-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Wow, Barb, your cartoon beads are so amazing!

I totally agree! Donkey is just awesome!

I say, forget the round beads! Who needs 'em! You've got something here :D

Vikki

AlaskaBarb
08-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Thanks. These may solve some Christmas present ideas

-- But WHERE are everyone elses' beads??? Come on, now! It's only fun if everybody plays.

I posted the link to the ISGB forum and maybe we'll get some more entries. One person did say they would try Jack Skellington, another Tim Burton figure, and challenged me to do The Boy with Nails in His Eyes. It's soo gross, but hey, I'll try it. Maybe I'll need a Hineycon -- or Grossoutcon.

DH says I should make a shadow box for Donkey so the ears don't get broken. I did wear Scooby Doo on a ribbon without any problem, though.

Back soon,
Barb

snootyvixen
08-18-2004, 12:41 AM
I have a Teletubby in the kiln ( a very BAD Teletubby) and I have a winged penguin (no particular character, just copied him from a book) that needs to be glued together LOL! I'll get around to posting them shortly.

Yes, I think donkey needs a shadow box ... he's special!

Vikki

Lori Peterson
08-18-2004, 03:21 AM
Hi All-
I just wanted to let everyone know that I made Frylock so no one else would have to. Here it is. I hope.

Cathy, Frylock was the first one I thought of when cartoons were mentioned. Your Frylock is awesome! Desiree (my daughter) and I are HUGE ATHF fans. Well done!

Lori Peterson
08-18-2004, 03:23 AM
The dog and bone is sort of a copy of Sharon Peter's work -- not a cartoon character, exactly -- but I wanted one of those with a dachshund.

Hugs,
Barb

When I saw your dachshund & bone I started chanting "mine" "mine" "mine" "mine" like the seagulls in Finding Nemo. Totally adorable!!!!!

AlaskaBarb
08-18-2004, 02:21 PM
Dear SV _- Cool! Can't wait to see them!

Lori -- I know you have doxies, too. I'd like to try some ones like Gary Larson did in his Weiner Dog Art series -- they were so funny. If I come up with a good one, I'll send it to you.

---
Well, I'm going to post the other two Tim Burton beads. The Boy with Nails in his Eyes is a mixed-media piece, since it has enameled steel pins embedded in the eyes. (The other one is Oyster Boy.)

The first one is kinda gross, so there's Hineycon warning. Like I said, it was a challenge from a member on the ISGB forum, or I probably wouldn't done that bead. (Okay, I would have, but I wouldn't have posted it.) Without a website, posting it here is the only way I can uplink it to ISGB.

I'm going to take a break and let you guys try some stuff. HINT HINT HINT HINT.

Lori, let's see a doxie!!! :p
Barb

snootyvixen
08-18-2004, 06:26 PM
I'm sorry Barb, but I refuse to believe you can't make a round bead! After seeing what you can do with cartoon characters, I'm of the belief that you can make ANYTHING!

Truly amazing - honestly - just amazing .....

Vikki
(still cleaning Teletubby holes :rolleyes: )

tigerlil
08-18-2004, 07:05 PM
this is very fun. I'm just hanging around appreciating. But maybe I can still throw in something. I'll have to make it right now, my kiln is on. Maybe I can make my daughter a 'Lenore' (manga character, kinda Tim Burtonish)

And Barb, I agree with everyone else...you may have found a niche--you'll have to keep it underground though! Those are all wonderful and your so prolific.

very inspiring!

Liza B.

tigerlil
08-19-2004, 03:26 AM
well, my 'throwing in' something has turned into a 2-3 hour project (what with building hair, the rejected heads, and just a very slow build time). I did make a Lenore for my doughter's bday which is this weekend (14 years). I had a difficult time, but if it's not cracked when it comes out of the kiln tomorrow, i'll post a pic.

Just looking back over this thread, I have to say again Barb--your beads are amazing--you have serious sculptural talent (spoken after laboring over my one entry all evening!)

That donkey is absolutely perfect. How did you do his teeth? I was having so much trouble with an even simpler design. I kept burning out one detail while working on other details. I always have this problem with sculpture work--that and one part cracking off because I'm too focused on another part! I've lost most of the figures I've tried to make due to cracking in the past...

by the way--how many of you drew your characters before building them? I bet that would've helped prepare myself better

Liza B.

ps NYCindy I know what you mean about the learning curve. My daughter loves manga/anime, too. Can't wait to see what you make. Anime is a great source of ideas for this one.

Aardvark Art
08-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Cathy, Frylock was the first one I thought of when cartoons were mentioned. Your Frylock is awesome! Desiree (my daughter) and I are HUGE ATHF fans. Well done!
-Lori Peterson

Thanks Lori!
I was going to do Shake and Meatwad too but then the show got cancelled. Now I'm too sad to make ATHF beads.

Check out my ebay auctions:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=aardart&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

AlaskaBarb
08-19-2004, 04:45 PM
How did you do his teeth? I was having so much trouble with an even simpler design. I kept burning out one detail while working on other details. I always have this problem with sculpture work--that and one part cracking off because I'm too focused on another part! I've lost most of the figures I've tried to make due to cracking in the past...

by the way--how many of you drew your characters before building them? I bet that would've helped prepare myself better

Liza B.

His teeth were started as a huge white blob. The impressions were made with a small, flat X-acto knife about 1/4" wide. Before the tooth impressions, he looked very weird. In fact, they all looked weird a few minutes before they were finished, IMHO!

The vertical lines were made first, and then the horizontal line to separate the uppers from lowers.

The tools I used were a small modified graphite paddle, small needle-nosed pliers, a tungsten pick, a 1/4" wide straight-ended X-acto knife, and a glass of water, for cooling the tools.

Yeah, melting of details is always a problem. The best way to avoid it is to put any fine details on later in the design, and then basically stay away from them. (Of course, every few seconds, they have to be reheated, but they're flashed back and forth quickly and much further out in the flame.)

Also, every minute or so, I switch hands and give the whole thing a good warm up. By that, I mean heating it far out in the flame, but sort of upside down and backwards from how I've been working on the bead -- so that the design doesn't start drifting in one particular direction. I hope that makes sense.

I like to use a slightly bigger-than-normal flame, and just work slightly a bit further out, and off to the side. That way, there's more radiant heat available to keep the bead warm.

Anything that really sticks out -- like ears -- go on right before the last bushy heat. (I definitely had to re-do a few details because they got droopy.)

-I didn't draw out the designs, but made photocopies of the pics I was copying. It helps to have pictures of the designs from several different angles. If they were original designs, yeah, I'd draw them out and post it nearby for quick reference.

Also, it's really important to have all the right glass colors, stringers, and tools you need for that particular bead laid out in advance. There's no time to rummage around looking for things. That was something I learned with alabastro/filigrana hollows, the hard way.

Try a small, simple design first, like Felix the cat, or the kids from South Park. They're basically round beads.

A lot of the detail is additive. For instance, to get black outlines around eyes, don't try to do it with stringer. Instead, melt a circle of black and then put a smaller blob of white inside that. When it's melted in, it will look like a thin outline.

Hope this helps, and go for it. Have fun! :wave:

Barb

tigerlil
08-20-2004, 05:20 PM
Hello again, Barb,

These are all great tips...Thank-you! :clap:

some of them I do, many I didn't and will now start to use. Unfortunately for this entry, I read your tips after I spent my too many hours on Lenore and her friends. My second Lenore is bigger and was better until she cracked mid-flame--I tried to fix her and almost threw her on the floor like your bead tantrum...but luckily didn't as I have a wood floor :D

I was also curious about those teeth--thanks for the explanation. A straight Xacto seems like it would be a good tool to have. I follow alot of these flame proctocols but still have trouble and need to practice.

ps you can't tell here, but Lenore actually has very nice multi-toned stringer hair ;)

the right one below is the 2nd cracked Lenore--she cracked most the way down the middle and I tried reheating her and smooshing her, but it all went bad :(

AlaskaBarb
09-01-2004, 04:01 AM
Bump!

It's still 11:00 pm August 31st, in Alaska, so here are the last silly bits for the August cartoon challenge.

The folks at the Burton website asked for a couple more things, so I'll add them here. A few from the Nightmare before Christmas -- Sally and the witch -- and another character, Girl with Many Eyes. So weird.

Then, two of mine, the moon and the dog. That's Sofie's sister, Isabel -- pretty much the same body habitus, but black and tan and a little fatter. Her nickname is Gordita.

The challenge was fun, Snooty V! I wouldn't have tried this stuff otherwise.

Barb :wave:

AlaskaBarb
09-01-2004, 04:11 AM
ps you can't tell here, but Lenore actually has very nice multi-toned stringer hair ;)

the right one below is the 2nd cracked Lenore--she cracked most the way down the middle and I tried reheating her and smooshing her, but it all went bad :(

Oh, I think Lenore is fabulous! Love the eyes -- and yes, she has very hip hair!

Good job! :D Even with Lenore cracking, you learned tons of stuff, right? I know I did.

The first few were lessons in total panic beadmaking, then I sort of got the hang of it -- and you will, too.

I definitely learned to spend 15 seconds every few minutes blasting heat to the back of the bead, because it is what gets coldest, while working on facial features and stuff. Very different from constantly rotating a round bead. :rolleyes:

Hugs,
Barb

snootyvixen
09-01-2004, 11:00 AM
Well ,I think you did a freakin' fabulous job, Barb!! Now, what do you mean by "the folks at the Burton website asked for a couple more things"? Are you now commissioned by The Wonderful Mr Burton to make the official Tim Burton Beads? LOL!!!! If not, I certainly think you should be!

I'm too ashamed of my teletubby to post him LOL - imagine that, not posting in my own challenge!! Maybe I'll photograph him a little later ....

Vikki

tigerlil
09-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Hey Barb, thanks for the nice comment--the cross eyed cat is actually pretty cute--the small pieces were definitely less problematic!

I love the witch and Gordita the best...the witch is just perfect! They're all great--cool moon, too!

Yeah tell us more about the Tim Burton Website thing...?

and thanks Vikki for the fun challenge!

AlaskaBarb
09-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks again -- that was really fun. :D

The Tim Burton Collective site is for fans of his movies and animations. There's a forum for 'budding artists,' and I posted the link to the cartoon challenge, since I thought they might appreciate the Burton beads most, even if they we're a bit sad.

After the original post, some said, okay "do this one or that one", and I did. A little cross-forum-ing going on, but, oh, well. I'm the last living person without a website, eBay auction, or any of that, so WC! is the only URL to virtually display anything.

Barb

AlaskaBarb
09-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Oh, and by the way, the red splotches on the Girl with Many Eyes' dress are supposed to be FLOWERS. HA HA HA HA LOL!!!

What on earth happened THERE? (Tigerlil, that's what I meant about 'panic beadmaking.' Sometimes there's just so much going on with figurative beads, and if you forget a detail in the order it should be done, it's really difficult to go back and do later without messing up the rest of the bead. The eyes were already going to hell in a handbasket when I realized I'd forgotten the flowers. I should have just left them off -- they look like bloody fingerprints. aaak.)

B

snootyvixen
09-01-2004, 08:35 PM
OK - I hope you haven't been holding your breath for this!!

May I present .... the totally freaked out Teletubby!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2004/14836-b040901_teletubby.jpg

... and here's Ciel's reaction

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2004/14836-040825_ciel_yelling.jpg

Vikki

Bubbyanne
09-02-2004, 12:36 AM
Hi Vicki, :wave:
:clap: I love your teletubby bead, it reminds me of those stress reliever dolls you squeeze and their eyes, ears, and nose pop out. Ciel's reaction is great too! :D What a cutie pie.
Good job, I'm glad to finally see your teletubby.
Barb

snootyvixen
09-02-2004, 01:03 AM
HAHA!!!! I do see the resemblence now you point it out!

I think my main problem was the model I used ... I used a fabric Teletubby on a keychain type of thing. I should have printed out a pic from the 'net. I saw the show the other day and thought how much unlike a real Teletubby the keychain looked! LOL!

Vikki

Beth Myers
09-30-2004, 03:22 AM
I don't know how in the world I missed this thread!
Can you here me hitting the floor at sixty miles an hour!
What fantastic work!!!!!
And you all have some of my favs.
Anything from Tim Burton makes me happy.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Beth