PDA

View Full Version : Pastello Study

digistyle
10-11-2001, 11:37 PM
I've been trying out a product called Pastello by Prang. It's kind of a chalk/pastel hybrid. It blends very easily. I was able to blend the entire study with my fingers. I used charcoal paper which held the Pastello in place pretty well. Has anyone else tried this product?

digistyle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2001/pastello.JPG

LDianeJohnson
10-12-2001, 08:02 PM
digistyle

I haven't used them but you have maintained good richness while still blending. The only place I would just apply a few unblended strokes is on the lower lip highlight using the light upper lip color. The highlight is starting to flatten the lower lips and these more intense light reds will make it come up nicely.

D.

djstar
10-20-2001, 02:49 AM
I use them all over the place...
The 24 pack is actually the basis of most of my stuff with a few Nupastels and a recently gifted box of Holbeins.
I have heard it is not a great idea.
They are called chalks and the rumor is that chalk is not as permanent as pastel... may be why they are so cheap?
Pastels are pure pigment in a neutral binder where chalk is actually made with chalk... that sounds wrong...
Anyway, I hear it is bad.
BUT I like the texture of them. I prefer not to blend and use them to cross hatch color over color.
They are very dense pure colors and good for my primaries, not too subtle.
If you like them, I would suggest buying a starter pack of Nupastels.
They are nice and hard like that but have a better range of colors....
if you like that kind of pastelling...which I do!
dj*

Zoo
10-21-2001, 01:27 AM
I have not tried them but I do like the richness they have given to this piece. I am a die-hard nupastel freak and tend to use them almost exclusively even though I have a container of Rembrandts that I turn to for certain types of shading.

~smile~
Zoo

digistyle
10-25-2001, 07:08 PM
Thanks, all!

Artistry, I did as you suggested and I think it made a real improvement.

dj*, since I'm pretty new to pastels, I haven't decided which method I like best, though I really enjoyed blending the Pastello. I treated it with a fixative, hopefully that'll help with the permanancy issue. I'll be heading to the art supply store soon and I'll look for that starter pack.

Zoo, I like the richness, also. I think I'll pick up some toned paper and see what effects I can achieve.

digistyle