PDA

View Full Version : My beading wire broke

Liliana
08-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Hi. I'm new. I've been wanting to post since last night.

Well I was making a necklace. I bought 34g wire from Walmart. I crimped it, I put on some beads, I went to the mirror to check the length, and the necklace broke!!! Eensy teensy beads all over the floor. So what's up with that? The package said beading wire and I thought it was for beading jewelry and that being wire it would be exceedingly strong. Does anyone know what's wrong with this wire? Surely I've used it wrong but what is it FOR if it bends and breaks so easily????

SingingCat
08-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Hi Liliana,

Sorry about the bead-fiasco, I've had a few of my own! (I'm kinda newish here too.)

It sounds like you may have been using the kind of wire that is used for "beading" but not bead-stringing or necklace making. My guess would be that the crimping process -- which on the stuff you need would finish the ends prevent the beads from slipping off -- may have bent and subsequently broken the wire that you used.

That beading wire that you used was most likely the kind that you might use to add accent beads to a pin, to make coiled wire beads or to decorate around something like a candle holder.....

To make a necklace you need to look for something like "Beadalon" or "Accuflex" -- yes this IS a bit confusing because it is often referred to as "beading wire" too but it is more flexible and so designed to hold the weight of beads and drape around one's wrist or neck. You can also string beads on specialty threads like Nymo or Silkon, in that case you would probably be finishing off with a knot or two instead of a crimp.

My favorite beading material to use for necklaces and bracelets is the "49 Strand" Beadalon...it's terrifically flexible and I've never had it break. It is a bit pricey but I tend to be rough on my jewelry and I would not want someone who is wearing my items to have any problems!

Hope your next necklace attempt goes much better!

BBsBaubles
08-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Hi Liliana and welcome to WC!

If you go to the Jewelry Links sticky at the top of this forum, you'll be taken to a number of vendors that sell the beading wire SingingCat refers to. My personal favorite is a product called "SoftFlex." It's the only wire I use for jewelry! If you're beads aren't big and heavy, you could probably use the 21 strand, .014 inch, fine wire.

When you have the necklace finished, be sure to post a picture. We'd all love to see it! As far as your beads falling all over the floor, welcome to the club! I think that's called the initiation...and it will happen to you more than once. ;)

Post often!

beclectic
08-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Just thought I'd say hi to y'all and welcome to Wearable Art. I'm wondering if that kind of beading wire is used for bead weaving. I'm not sure it is a small enough guage but some on loom bead weaving is done with very fine wire.

Your advice was right on SingingCat and Beth B.

Liliana, Beth B's recommendation about the Jewlery Links thread is the right place for you to look to learn more about jewelry making. There are quite a few tutorials that should help you.

I recommend Bead & Button magazine. Just buy one for an idea of the projects that are possible and the materials that are available. Every issue has a section on basics which I find invaluable. They also have a website: Bead & Button Website (http://www.beadandbutton.com/bnb/). You can explore the website and see some wonderful jewelry.

Everyone has had material failures for one reason or another. Don't let it get you down. :)

Liliana
08-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Thank you so much for your replies and all the info and links. Well! So I did use the wrong stuff to string with and yes, it is confusing. I will try to post pics. I did make a bookmark out of waxed linen and it's so pretty and THAT'S what gave me the bug to try to make something else. I've been to two bead shops and they are quite irresistible! It must be in the X chromosomes, eh. I've helped my son make two necklaces and both are pretty. He's having better luck than I. I even made cute necklace holders out of cardstock and he gave them as gifts. They were a big hit and he felt pretty good about that.

Sorry I'm so late to respond. Thursday night my mom phoned and in a roundabout way said she may have lung cancer so I'm waiting to hear for sure or not and I feel, well I'm not sure what I feel. I'm just waiting till she wants to talk. I'm hoping it's some mistake and that the x-ray will indicate she's fine. There's fluid around one lung and evidently that may be a sign...and she's been smoking for 50 years.

DonnaBee
08-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Welcome to jewelry making Liliana! Looks like you got fantastic advice here and you are off to a really great start! There is just nothing like beaded jewelry!!!!! :D

I want to wish you and your mom well.

Mom mother-in-law has had adenocarcinoma diagnoses since March, which is one of the kinds of lung cancer. She is doing great! She sees her oncologist once per week, and takes a daily pill. She has lost weight that did need to come off, and her blood numbers that tell about the cancer have come way down. She is in her seventies. She quit smoking about twenty years ago and had smoked many years prior. But, the type of lung cancer she has, adenocarcinoma, is the kind most commonly found in those who never smoked. Although second hand smoke plays a big part. She did continue to be exposed to that until the present.

Well, there are many different types of lung cancer as I am sure you know. All with different prognoses and treatments!

Best to you and her.

Welcome again to beading jewelry! :D

Beads-Me!
08-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Welcome to Wearable Arts and jewelrymaking! You've gotten good advice already - good luck! And I hope you get good news about your mom... :)