PDA

View Full Version : client won't pay

ouch2
08-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Hi all, I'm a freelance illustrator, and work as character designer and illustration for a magazine. It's working all fine until the last two assigments, they didn't send me any paycheck at all. I have call my contactor many time. And accordding to her, she already made her boss to sign all the paper work and submit the contract to the payroll department. It has been two months and I still not get any check. I email and called the payroll department and leave message, and I did get hold of the assistance for the payroll manager. And she did recieve all the document from the art department and promise me to follow up, it had been a week, and they never email or call back a gain. :mad:

Do anyone of you have this problem before? Is there any way to solve it? Although the sum of money is no that much..but I did put my heart into all the drawing. Any suggestion for a poor, newbie artist like me?

TedDawson
08-05-2004, 02:54 PM
I would recommend printing up an invoice and mailing it to the accounts receivable department or whomever you've spoken with in the accounting department. And for the date due, be sure and put "due upon receipt."

http://freelancewrite.about.com/cs/howto/ht/htinvoice.htm

tomnackid
08-06-2004, 02:34 PM
Printing "account past due" in big red letters on the envelope and invoice doesn't hurt either. I had a client, a major book publisher who shall remain nameless, go over 30 days on a payment. i called and emailed and was told that "it is being looked into" but nothing happened until I sent the "big red invoice of doom". Turns out it was just a filing error, no foul play, but embarresment can be a powerful motivator!

imager777
08-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Be sure to keep dated copies of everything you send. Also keep the names of everyone you speak to. It's up to you to prove they're wrong, if it has to come to that.

ouch2
08-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Thanks, I follow the guide and write a invoice and send it out today. Hope they will look into it.
Thanks for the help. :)

AFM159
08-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Sorry for your troubles.....looks like you already got the help you were looking for...

Most of the time if I have a slow client a friendly phone call does the trick....and most of my clients are smaller.... but with some of my larger clients 60 - 90 days to get through the redtape might not be that uncommon....have had to call the accounting manager before....no fun waiting, though, especially if your cash flow is tight...

Try not to be tooooo pushy, don't want to ruin the relationship...then again.... if their not paying and it gets to be a real issue...turn it over to a collections agency.....