PDA

View Full Version : stand oil, damar varnish, cobalt drier

Pilan
10-11-2001, 05:57 PM
I am trying to learn more about the Stand Oil, Damar Varnish and Cobalt Drier.

If you have any experience with any of these mediums please tell me how you used them and mixed them.

Also, if you use stand oil will it take longer to dry than regular linseed oil.

Thank you.

vallarta
10-11-2001, 08:14 PM
Stand Oil is a thick linseed oil...used for glazing...most often mixed with turpentine or paint thinner. The modern alkhyd "Liquinn" seems to do the job better and dries faster.

Damar Varnish is often mixed with stand oil in Glazing and is used mixed with Turpentine for final varnishing after an oil paint is completely dry...usually 6mo...longer if you have applied thick paint.

Colbalt drier is a liquid used in SMALL AMOUNTS (FEW DROPS) to speed drying of any oil painting medium
vallarta

Pilan
10-11-2001, 09:39 PM
V,

thank you. I have been researching the use of these mediums. I am trying to use different mediums with my oils. I sometimes want a thinner layer and the paint just seems too thick. So, without diluting the pigment I am trying to use medium instead of thinning with turpinoid. Turpinoid is used for cleaning brushes but had been told a couple of years ago you could use it as thinning the paint. Well, I learned differently here on WC not too long ago when another painter said its not supposed to be used like that.

So much too learn. WC has been a real help.

Thanks
Pilan

Verdaccio
10-12-2001, 11:36 AM
Try mixing a drop of stand oil into your paint piles. They will take on a jewel like look and the brushability will go up a lot. Stand oil does slow drying time by a little.

Titanium
10-12-2001, 07:14 PM
Pilan --------------- RALPH MAYER

He has a thorough explanation of the
medium using --------

stand oil / dammar varnish / copal drier and solvent .

You can always allow the solvent in
the dammar varnish to evaporate from
the stand oil / dammar / copal drier and
solvent medium.

Then use a little Walnut Oil [ low yellowing
and fluid oil ] added to the stand oil / dammar /
copal drier [ no solvent ] medium --------
to thin it .

Please get a Ralph Mayer - The Artist's Handbook
of Materials and techniques. Read and enjoy.
Titanium

Pilan
10-13-2001, 04:06 AM
I did a mixture of 1 part damar, 1 part linseed to 3 parts of gum turp. so far, I love it. And put a couple of drops of copal drier.

I got this mixture from another painter.

These are helpful to me, thank you. Also, I have the first issue of the Ralph Mayer manual in 1940. It has some wonderful recipes. I need to find where to purchase some rabbit glue. I want to glue canvas onto masonite board. I like the non bouncy painting surface but like the canvas too. So, thought maybe I could approach it from this angle.

I am heading off to bed and read a little in Ralphs book.

Thanks all

Originally posted by Titanium
Pilan --------------- RALPH MAYER

He has a thorough explanation of the
medium using --------

stand oil / dammar varnish / copal drier and solvent .

You can always allow the solvent in
the dammar varnish to evaporate from
the stand oil / dammar / copal drier and
solvent medium.

Then use a little Walnut Oil [ low yellowing
and fluid oil ] added to the stand oil / dammar /
copal drier [ no solvent ] medium --------
to thin it .

Please get a Ralph Mayer - The Artist's Handbook
of Materials and techniques. Read and enjoy.
Titanium

Titanium
10-13-2001, 08:29 AM
PSSSSt - Pilan ,

how about a minor upgrade - there is I believe
a 5th Edition of the book .
[ chuckle ]
Titanium .

Stand Oil will yellow less than linseed oil , as will
walnut oil . You can mix stand oil and walnut oil
to get a viscosity similar to linseed oil . The cobalt
drier will speed the slower drying oils back up to
that of linseed oil .
Good Luck .

Pilan
10-13-2001, 06:01 PM
:D okay, i hear you loud and clear :clap: . I guess I will have to spend more that 3$ huh? darn. it still has wonderful recipes. I did purchase some stand oil and will make a mixture of this as well.

Pilan

Originally posted by Titanium
PSSSSt - Pilan ,

how about a minor upgrade - there is I believe
a 5th Edition of the book .
[ chuckle ]
Titanium .

Stand Oil will yellow less than linseed oil , as will
walnut oil . You can mix stand oil and walnut oil
to get a viscosity similar to linseed oil . The cobalt
drier will speed the slower drying oils back up to
that of linseed oil .
Good Luck .

sarkana
10-14-2001, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Pilan
I did a mixture of 1 part damar, 1 part linseed to 3 parts of gum turp. so far, I love it. And put a couple of drops of copal drier.

this is one of the most common recipes, and it is the one i use myself. i forgo the cobalt drier (copal is a totally different animal), which is not essential, but nice to have if drying times are a concern. its very important not to overdo it with the cobalt drier, that stuff is strong and can weaken your paint film if overused.

you can play with this recipe by varying the proportions of each ingredient to make it act the way you want. more stand oil make a heavier bodied medium. more gum turpentine will make it more solvent and runnier. more damar will make it stickier. i like to add a little walnut oil and a splash of oil of spike lavender.

the ralph mayer book from 1940 has tons of good recipes that will still work just fine. but a revised edition will tell you more about modern pigments and modern media, like acrylics and the like. i use this book more than any other book ever. i have one copy in my studio and one at home.

Pilan
10-14-2001, 07:28 PM
Thanks, I guess I will have to play around with the mixtures. I meant cobalt drier. Also, do realize that this is a very potent chemical for drying and use very little. is there a certain brand of walnut oil that is better than others? plus, where do you get the spike of lavendar oil. My studio smells like gum turp, ick!!! now, I need to get that odor out. :mad:

Pilan

Originally posted by sarkana

this is one of the most common recipes, and it is the one i use myself. i forgo the cobalt drier (copal is a totally different animal), which is not essential, but nice to have if drying times are a concern. its very important not to overdo it with the cobalt drier, that stuff is strong and can weaken your paint film if overused.

you can play with this recipe by varying the proportions of each ingredient to make it act the way you want. more stand oil make a heavier bodied medium. more gum turpentine will make it more solvent and runnier. more damar will make it stickier. i like to add a little walnut oil and a splash of oil of spike lavender.

the ralph mayer book from 1940 has tons of good recipes that will still work just fine. but a revised edition will tell you more about modern pigments and modern media, like acrylics and the like. i use this book more than any other book ever. i have one copy in my studio and one at home.