PDA

View Full Version : Supply question for those in Canada...

bay75
08-05-2004, 11:52 AM
I have been extremely inspired by everything that I have seen here in regards to wire art jewellery. I've looked around on the 'net and cannot seem to find a Canadian supplier of wire. The prices of wire from US sources are great however, we have been burned with the extra charges from our last EBay purchase. We (my husband and I) purchased a CHEAP digital camera for about $50 US, then we were responsible for duty when it was declared as being a $100 purchase and the topper was some surcharge that UPS put on the purchase for transporting it across the border that was an additional $25.00. We then purchased another camera from London Drugs when we saw the quality of the one we purchased and gave the other to the kids. But I digress. Needless to say that I now only purchase from certain sellers in the US that know my preference for shipping and declare the actual value on the declaration now. So, where possible I now like to keep my loonies right here in Canada. If anyone can suggest a good place for silver wire, or even gold filled one day when I'm a bit better, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Mary in BC

Schooner Girl
08-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Hi Mary,

You can get wires at Imperial Smelting, they have a catalog
too.

Imperial Smelting & Refining
451 Denison Street
Markham, ON L3R 1B7
Phone: 800-263-1669
Fax:800-827-4779

Gisele

Barrie
08-05-2004, 12:35 PM
Hi Mary!
Where in BC are you? I'm in Aldergrove, just east of Vancouver. I teach silversmithing classes at Mountain Gems in Burnaby, www.mountaingems.com - they have a 1-800 number if you want to order by phone. Their website sucks but the catlog info is there, but if you're ever in the lower mainland, they have a great store. They carry silver wire, gold filled wire, some nickel, copper, brass wire along with craft wire and more tools than you can shake a stick at. Most of the girls are quite helpful, although there are one or two that don't know the meaning of customer service! :) Anyway, you can drop my name if you want (not that it will get you anywhere! LOL!) but it usually gets you decent service. Hope this helps!

BlindCaveFish
08-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Hello Mary,
I too was wondering the same question you had posted. Here in Halifax there is a wonderful local silver supplier. However, in 3 weeks I will be moving to Calgary and I'm a bit nervous that there won't be a local supplier for me to buy from. Does ayone know of one in that area of Alberta??

bay75
08-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Thank you for your replies they have been a great help. Barrie, I am in Mission, but my husband and I both work close to or in Aldergrove. I'm the close to as I'm at Abbotsford airport (disclaimer: I do apologize about the daily wake up calls if you are close by). The storefront in Burnaby is perfect for me as I do take the kids into Vancouver for an outing and errands monthly. We just went to Playland on the weekend though and would have driven right by the store. Hollie good luck with the move...I work with a lady who just transferred from Calgary, I will pick her brain to see if she has any suggestions for jewellery supply stores. Calgary certainly does have everything. I will be there for 2 days in September for a training class so perhaps I will scout it out as well. Hopefully this thread can help some others out as well, in the meanwhile I will continue playing with my copper wire and experimenting until I get a chance to visit the store in Burnaby. Thank you again.

Mary

Hiway
08-05-2004, 11:34 PM
I teach silversmithing classes at Mountain Gems in Burnaby, www.mountaingems.com - they have a 1-800 number if you want to order by phone.

What the heck? I am having serious problems with AOL this evening.... it has a mind of its own.... I don't know what happened to the previous attempt! :mad:

Just wanted to thank you, Barrie, as Mountain Gems not only carries the Sterling wire that I need, but also the tumbling shot and plastic pellets (I'm almost out of those). I'm surprised that I couldn't find it in all the searches that I've done for Canadian suppliers of silver wire; I've been ordering from the States! Very pleased with what I've received, but Customs gets me every time.

Yep, their web site is pretty bad; I even found that several of their links don't work unless you switch pages. However, they certainly have what I need, their prices are good, and if Barrie likes 'em... that's good enough for me! :D

Thanks again,

Claudia

WillowMajestic
08-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Hello Mary,
I too was wondering the same question you had posted. Here in Halifax there is a wonderful local silver supplier. However, in 3 weeks I will be moving to Calgary and I'm a bit nervous that there won't be a local supplier for me to buy from. Does ayone know of one in that area of Alberta??

Hi there!

You shouldn't have a problem. There are a couple of places that I use right in Calgary :) Ken's Gems, which is in the north end, has absolutely everything a person could need or want .... and they have more of a warehouse style shop so the prices stay low. It is always a challenge to get in and get out without too much dammage to my pocket book :rolleyes:

Kari

Barrie
08-06-2004, 12:53 AM
Mary!! We're practically neighbors!!! That is so cool! Mtn. Gems also has wire classes each month. The gal that teaches those is wonderful, she used to be the manager of Beadworks in Coquitlam and is a really great teacher.

Great to know about the supplier in Calgary! There's a really great gem show in Calgary every year too.

If any other Canadians have supplier suggestions, fire away!! You can never have too many suppliers!

BlindCaveFish
08-06-2004, 07:31 PM
"There are a couple of places that I use right in Calgary Ken's Gems, which is in the north end, has absolutely everything a person could need or want .... and they have more of a warehouse style shop so the prices stay low. "

Yipee!!!
I'm moving to the North West so maybe I will be living very close to this store
Thank you for the info Kari!

Barrie, around what time of year is this bead show? I've actually never been to one before.

Barrie
08-06-2004, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=BlindCaveFish
Barrie, around what time of year is this bead show? I've actually never been to one before.[/QUOTE]

October 23 & 24 in Fort Langley (about 20 minutes from Vancouver).

jennakate
08-06-2004, 10:37 PM
what about suppliers in montreal? anybody know anything there? i am proabably moving back there at the end of the month and when i lived there before i wasn't looking for anything.
jenna kate

tamjai
08-07-2004, 08:36 AM
jenna kate i don't know about montreal but, i do have a couple of sources canadians may or may not find useful
www.canbead.com no minimum order but must have registered business for wholesale catalogue, you can view their retail catalogue online.. They are in Ottawa
www.beazu.com mostly same as above, but catalogue has more than website. They are in Vancouver and you might be familiar with their retail stores ( retail$ yuck!) although there is no minimum order you have to purchase minimums with each item
www.supplyjewelry.com on the home page go to for canada customer. with $100 shipping is free, mostly it is finished stuff but way down on the list you will find bali silver and glass beads
again there is rarely one place that has better prices across the board you really have to shop around. One thing i can say about canada beading is that they are super friendly and helpful on the phone
hope this helps! :D
tam

somk
08-07-2004, 09:28 AM
I'll throw in another one for those living on the east coast : http://frabels.com
You have to buy the catalog first but it's worth it !

~So

tamjai
08-07-2004, 11:39 AM
somk - that place looks great! :D

http://beadedflowers.tripod.com/international/shops/canada.htm#
hope that link works
tam

jennakate
08-07-2004, 07:34 PM
WHY is this the first time I've seen all this?!?!? :eek:

isle-of-cats
08-07-2004, 08:37 PM
Awesome info everyone!

I feel like I am all prepared for when I move to Vancouver!!

Barrie~ I hope I don't drive you nuts with questions once I get there! :D

somk
08-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Jenna Kate > yay ! we'll be neighbours, I'm in Montreal too :D *begins to make tea and grabs a box of cookies*

jennakate
08-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Yay! What kind of cookies? lol