PDA

View Full Version : ShOw-N-tElL Aug 5, 2004

McDuck
08-05-2004, 11:49 AM
WEll it's about time I have something to show. First of all, my enrty for the ladybug challenge exchange. Next, my first seed bead spiral bracelet with a purple sea urchin. I bought this kit from Queenbeebeads http://stores.ebay.com/QUEEN-BEE-BEADS-ETC It was perfect for a first timer as it came with everything to make one complete bracelet or anklet and another without a clasp. I did it in about 2 hours and boy was it fun!! :clap:

So wait no longer!

-Mary

BBsBaubles
08-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Those are great Mary! I love the colors and texture! :clap:

sassybird
08-05-2004, 12:36 PM
Mary, I love that ladybug:D Is the spiral the same thing that others call peyote? I'm so:confused: I am learning the terminolgy a little at a time, so please be patient with me.

fringe4u
08-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Greetings Everyone,
First of all I am very envious of all the fun you had at the Portland show...how I wish I could have been there. I guess I will have to wait until the Sept. 4th show in Johnstown PA (could that ever compare to Portland!!!)
Mary, I loved that bracelet so much...I just purchased a kit for myself...thanks for sharing.
Lois-PM me if you have any small bead sets left from the show for purchasing
Shirley-so glad to hear that your mom is doing better
Lori-I think of you everyday, a very dear friend lost her daughter Megan 3 years ago and we have all been supporting her

Here is my latest..
also...I am having trouble with some of my crimps, I don't know if they were defective or not. PLEASE...give me some advice...I will appreciate it... :)
Hope everyone has a good day...My husband and I are going to our FIRST car cruise tonight with our 57' Chevy Belair...I will have to let you know how it goes...he is too excited!
Debbie

TheBlueBetween
08-05-2004, 01:16 PM
hey hey Mary!!! Good job with the spiral bracelet!!! See, it wasn't so hard! And the spiral works up pretty fast too, which is one thing I love about it. Next time you could embellish the core beads with fringe or garden elements!

Charissa, Peyote is a bit different - it's more of a tube rather than beads wrapped around a core. And for beginners, peyote tubes take about an hour an inch, depending on bead size of course and how many around you are doing. The peyote tube is more substantial I think and has great texture - it's like a rope tube of glass, but the spiral is fun and easy and even more fun to embellish. You can make a really great spiny bracelet or necklace that way pretty fast.

I have a great book on all these different bead weaves - The Art and Elegance of Beadweaving by Carol Wilcox Wells - it's great! It even has instructions for making beaded beads and rings. And wonderful eye candy.

Debbie you snuck in on me! Pretty bracelet! Have fun on your car cruise tonight :)

:) Pam

TheBlueBetween
08-05-2004, 01:29 PM
also...I am having trouble with some of my crimps, I don't know if they were defective or not. PLEASE...give me some advice...I will appreciate it... :) Debbie

Debbie what kind of trouble? are they failing? I like the 2mm tube ones that you crimp and then fold over the crimp - as shown here:

http://www.beadshop.com/learnonline/learnstringing/softflex.aspx

Hope that helps,
Pam

Andee
08-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Mary - great work, the ladybug-bracelet is ever so cute!

Debbie - I love that bracelet, it's so summery fresh!

Here's my bit for today - seeing it this close I think it definitely needs some fine tuning, but you get the idea how it'll look like!

McDuck
08-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Thank you all! It was fun to make.

Debbie that is so bright and cheery!

Andee, I really like that ring! was it a bead at first?

Pam, it was alot of fun, now I am looking for more beads to make necklaces for my sea shell beads to hang from.

-Mary

Andee
08-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Mary, it's a freshwater pearl, one of those irregular shaped ones.

fringe4u
08-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Pam, Thanks so much for the site...when I was taught the art of bracelet beading the order taught was clasp, sterling silver ball then crimp, but I see on the site (and I have been checking out more bracelets in B&B) that the order is clasp, crimp then the beads for the bracelet. Pam, which way do you think is best...anyone else can add their ideas also...THANKS BUNCHES, Debbie

McDuck
08-05-2004, 01:55 PM
I have made them both ways and recently changed thanks to our Libby to doing it in this order: crimp, bead, clasp or lobster claw, bead cripm then beads. The bead between the crimp and finding takes up alot of the shock and abuse that normally puts wear and tear on the wire.

-Mary

TheBlueBetween
08-05-2004, 01:59 PM
I have made them both ways and recently changed thanks to our Libby to doing it in this order: crimp, bead, clasp or lobster claw, bead cripm then beads. The bead between the crimp and finding takes up alot of the shock and abuse that normally puts wear and tear on the wire.

-Mary

Mary is right, I think that's the best way too. I think Kate McKinnon's book suggests that way as well.

TheBlueBetween
08-05-2004, 02:00 PM
BTW, Cool ring Andee!

DrPam
08-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Love the colors today!! That purple bracelet and the fresh yellow set are so beautiful, and Andee, great start with that ring. I particularly like how the round balls of silver sort of give the feel for what people typically expect of a pearl, but then the pearl itself is irregularly shaped. Very cool.

As for me, I went to my first bead show and did a lot of damage to my wallet. Here is something unusual--a necklace I am actually keeping for MYSELF! Ocean Jasper and silver.

-Pam
http://www.pamarama.com

Andee
08-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Wow, DrPam, that necklace is STUNNING! I love the shape of the jasper, and the colours, and the combination, and the silver leaf, and, err, I love it all! :)

McDuck
08-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Thank You Dr Pam and that is a beautiful necklace, I can see why you would want to keep it to yourself! I love ocean jasper and with the leaf, it is stunning.

-Mary

Juls
08-05-2004, 06:46 PM
There are some really beautiful creations here! I'm new to this part of WC (Nancy pointed it out on Glass Art)
so this is my first post.

(Hey Yall!) :D

Pam, that Ocean Jasper piece is to die for!!

This is a necklace I actually finished this past weekend, and a bracelet I made for my mom.

TheBlueBetween
08-05-2004, 07:17 PM
There are some really beautiful creations here! I'm new to this part of WC (Nancy pointed it out on Glass Art)
so this is my first post.

(Hey Yall!) :D

Pam, that Ocean Jasper piece is to die for!!

This is a necklace I actually finished this past weekend, and a bracelet I made for my mom.

T.H.U.N.K. (That was my jaw hitting my desk ;) )

OMG I love that necklace Juls! Welcome too :)

McDuck
08-05-2004, 07:54 PM
Welcome to the Wearbles! Jul! and THUNK too. That is extrememly wonderful! What did you use in it??
-Mary

Juls
08-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the nice welcome Pam! :)

Mary,
Cabaret (the necklace) started with the first set of lampwork I made for myself...Seed beads (sizes 15-8), some pieces(bead/cabochon type things) that came out of a vintage necklace I found in a thrift shop, a few dichroic buttons, copper, czech pressed leaves(edited to add and czech drops), and an Agate Jade Cabochon. Peyote, brick, and spiral stitching..I love freeform!

Thanks again!
hugs~

Kerensamere
08-05-2004, 09:24 PM
Andee, I'm really enjoying seeing your rings. Great work! -Jen

AutumnH
08-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Wow! Beautiful work today! I can't believe how it gets better each day. That shouldn't be possible, but you all keep wowing me!

Here is one I finished today.

McDuck
08-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Juls- Cabaret is absolutely stunning, gorgeous and jaw thunkingly wonderful. :clap: *sniffles and whipes a tear* I wanna be as good as Juls one day...or at least rub elbows with her :p ;) I cant wait to learn more than the spiral stitch!

Autumn, love those dots!
-Mary

Juls
08-05-2004, 10:29 PM
:o Thanks again Mary! I checked out your ebay..I am a huge copper fan...is verrry versatile in beadwork! I'll email in just a sec but I'm interested in toggles and headpins! YUM!

Love that black white and pink bracelet, Autumn!! striking and very girly!

hugs~

AutumnH
08-05-2004, 10:40 PM
Thanks Mary and Juls. I like that it's okay to be "girly" again. I'm not an overly girly kinda person, but sometimes I just crave pink or frills, you know?
As for the copper, I was able to fondle some of Mary's in person, and OOOOOHH my is it yummy!

Beads-Me!
08-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Great S&T today! I third what Pam and Mary have already told you - it puts less wear and tear on the crimp. I promise to play tomorrow - I have a couple of pieces that I made to wear in Portland to share... :)

Gingerbiscuit
08-06-2004, 08:09 AM
Is the spiral the same thing that others call peyote? I'm so:confused: I am learning the terminolgy a little at a time, so please be patient with me.

Charissa, the spiral is known as single spiral rope / spiral staircase. Peyote is a completely different kettle of fish. It can be worked flat, tubular or circular. Together with Ndebele, it is my favourite stitch.

I have a great book on all these different bead weaves - The Art and Elegance of Beadweaving by Carol Wilcox Wells - it's great! It even has instructions for making beaded beads and rings. And wonderful eye candy.

I totally agree with Pam. This book is fantastic. This book contains lots of brilliant things. I would recommend it very highly, but I would also recommend reading her first book Creative Bead Weaving: A Contemporary Guide To Classic Off-Loom Stitches before the Art and Elegance. It is a fabulous book and describes all (except Ndebele aka herringbone) the stitches extremely well with very easy to follow diagrams. It is more of a "how to" book than Art & Elegance, which has more projects. For off loom bead weaving you can't do better than these two books (in my humble opinion). Great eye candy in both.

Can you tell I like these books? LOL! :)

Gingerbiscuit
08-06-2004, 08:17 AM
Ooops! Got so carried away with books that I forgot to say what great work there is today! :clap:

TheBlueBetween
08-06-2004, 11:23 AM
I would also recommend reading her first book Creative Bead Weaving: A Contemporary Guide To Classic Off-Loom Stitches before the Art and Elegance. It is a fabulous book and describes all (except Ndebele aka herringbone) the stitches extremely well with very easy to follow diagrams. It is more of a "how to" book than Art & Elegance, which has more projects. For off loom bead weaving you can't do better than these two books (in my humble opinion). Great eye candy in both.

Can you tell I like these books? LOL! :)

Thank you Lynne! I just ordered the first one :)

Gingerbiscuit
08-06-2004, 04:45 PM
Thank you Lynne! I just ordered the first one :)

You won't be disappointed!