PDA

View Full Version : New Moretti Purples

3SistersBeads
08-04-2004, 06:07 PM
I got my 4 new purples a few days ago and finally got to try them out. I think I may start loving the two silver plum shades. At first, when they "turned," I thought maybe I was working too hot even though I was way up in the flame. However, when they came out of the kiln, the silver sheen was pretty funky.

The light lavender blue, however, turned a funny yuck color in spots and I have no idea what that is about. It left some pasty streaks in the purple. Hmm......any ideas anyone?

I'm totally loving the transparent purple blue. Pretty shade especially over white.

So, here are my test beads. I shot them still wet in my hand so you could sort of see all the shades.

I'd love to hear how everyone else is faring with these new colors. Any tips?

Blessings,
Leslie

BBsBaubles
08-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Leslie, what did you do to your poor hand?!!! :eek: (LOL)

Nice test beads. I like the new colors. Sorry, I'm no help with your questions.

3SistersBeads
08-04-2004, 10:17 PM
Leslie, what did you do to your poor hand?!!! :eek: (LOL)

Nice test beads. I like the new colors. Sorry, I'm no help with your questions.

HA! I guess there was water on the lens, huh? Too funny!

glassman4tm
08-05-2004, 01:10 AM
That second purple you mentioned may be the one so-called evil devitrifying purple! It is very tempermental but can be very nice. If you are making a bead and go "oh s--t, I burned it, try staying in the flame long enough for the yuck to burn off. (Not Boiling, of course) If you can get it to "strike ivory" it can cool to a translucent bright pinky purple. Worth experimenting but don't make yourself crazy!
Thank goodness there are some new purples to check out in any event though! Happy Beading!

CorvetteJuliet
08-05-2004, 01:49 AM
Oooh, those are so pretty. Your picture inspired me. When I was picking out my colors tonight I got out some of a purple Morretti (new?? Not sure) it's #273. What are the color numbers you used? ~Juliet

Jan.C
08-05-2004, 07:36 AM
Not sure which purples you are using Leslie, but boy do I like the effect, let's see some more. :)
Jan

TwistNglass
08-05-2004, 08:49 AM
Leslie,

I've been playing with those colors over the last week also. Here's my observations: The lavender blue and transparent are great. The lighter silver plum is the prettier of the plums, I think. The darker plum is so dark that I'm having trouble using it unless I use it as black. The lighter silver plum is pretty when used in florals but it does have a bit of a brown tint. The lighter silver plum is pretty encased in either pale lavender or the new purple, which makes for a very deep dark purple. I'm waiting to see what others come up with as I'm not terribly creative with color.

Try putting stringer or frit stringer on a bead of the plum. It will turn a brownish color and get dull looking. You could definitely use it to your advantage. I think Kaye did a set recently using that effect.

Rose

3SistersBeads
08-05-2004, 10:09 AM
282 Pastel Light Lavender
284 Pastel Light Plum Silver
288 Pastel Dark Plum Silver
083 Trans. Purple Blue

These are the numbers and the colors. I'm gonna try some more beads today and see what happens.

Thanks for the tips everyone!
Blessings,

theonlyduda
08-05-2004, 11:51 AM
I'm still playing too. Here are some of my beads using EDP with the NEW 284 Pastel Dark Plum Silver. It is very dark.... and quite soft. I love it encased because it is so dark and then it does the reducing thing on the side which is kinda cool. You can see in two round beads in the top row that they have the metallic sheen. Below that you can see it as dots on that cube that are etched so there is no metallic effect. It looks quite dark in the photo, but you can tell it is purple on the bead. Anyway.... it is definately a fun color!! :) Now I have to go try the other purples too.... Where does the day go?! :D

BBsBaubles
08-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Dawn, those are purty!! :clap:

3SistersBeads
08-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Great beadies Dawn!

I got so involved in another color scheme that my kiln got filled before I thought of the purples! :p

I may give it another try tonight when I get back from the theatre. Otherwise, tomorrow morning I'll get to it!

I like those two round beads in the top row with the silver sheen. I've just got to get used to that "reduction thing" these colors do.

The transparent color is pretty and probably my favorite right now. If I can just get that yuckiness out of the pastel one I'll be happy.

nicker
08-05-2004, 02:18 PM
I just bought both silver plums on the weekend and boy I can't wait to try it. Those beads are yuuummmmyyy!

ldiamont
08-05-2004, 02:19 PM
I got the new purples a week and a half ago. Like you, I was surprised when the plums reduced. I thought I was burning it, but my oxy was way up so I knew I was not. I have tried the plums, lav blue with ivory and copper green (because those tend to have the most reaction) and nothing dramatic happened. I also used the plums with Lausha Olive (I have a set up on eBay ending tonight) and I thought it looked cool. I am not all that thrilled with the dark plum (it is soooo dark). I only got .25 lb of each and I am using it alot, I guess I will have to order some more.

snootyvixen
08-05-2004, 02:37 PM
I got the new purples at the Gathering also - I torched on Tuesday morning and was so caught up in other stuff that I totally forgot to try the purples!! I'll see what I come up with tomrrow.

Vikki

CorvetteJuliet
08-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks for posting the color #s. :) I really appreciate that! Helps when it comes time to order. ;) ~Juliet

isle-of-cats
08-05-2004, 04:50 PM
I didn't see the 282 Pastel Light Lavender at the Gathering, did anyone else?
I could have missed it being all "Glass Glazed" as I was...

I did get the
083 Trans. Purple Blue

and am playing with those a bit...

snootyvixen
08-05-2004, 08:24 PM
I think I got pastel light lavender - it was on the back wall in the Frantz booth, not with the other new purples .... maybe I got the wrong one? I can't check because it's not here LOL

Vikki

!ngridh
08-07-2004, 12:38 AM
That second purple you mentioned may be the one so-called evil devitrifying purple! It is very tempermental but can be very nice. If you are making a bead and go "oh s--t, I burned it, try staying in the flame long enough for the yuck to burn off. (Not Boiling, of course) If you can get it to "strike ivory" it can cool to a translucent bright pinky purple. Worth experimenting but don't make yourself crazy!
Thank goodness there are some new purples to check out in any event though! Happy Beading!
:D Ahhhhhhh ... I know this evil purple you mention and can say that it is not one of these colors ;-) these colors have some very interesting properties of their own....but fushcia isn't one of them ;-)

!ngridh
08-07-2004, 12:39 AM
I didn't see the 282 Pastel Light Lavender at the Gathering, did anyone else?
I could have missed it being all "Glass Glazed" as I was...

I did get the
083 Trans. Purple Blue

and am playing with those a bit...

Well i picked some up at frantz...so far it has been the least exciting of these 4 new colors ;-)

CalmWaterStudio
08-08-2004, 04:20 PM
I haven't tried the plum yet... mostly because I am so in love with the cark lavender transparent and the new pale lavender and violet opaques. I'm a sucker for purple, and it seems I get these "spells" where everything I make revolves around purple.

Here is my first attempt with them...