PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday.... wear it's at?

LLane
08-04-2004, 11:05 AM
I hope I looked far enough before I started this...... where are you guys? Are you all on West coast time like me?

Got back from Portland last evening....... man.... what a time was had by all. I missed you all though..... today I have to get going and start working on a stupid garage sale...... even though I have enough glass ideas in my brain to last a lifetime!!! (well ..... maybe I will get a little torch time!)

Hope you all are well... and have a great day..... so did anything big/new happen while I was gone? I haven't had much time to catch up on the threads!

Peace,
Lois

PS..... I got some "goods" on Shirley.... and am taking bribes to show the pics! :D :D :D

McDuck
08-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Good Day Lois and all who follow! Quick drive by again from me. Sinus headache :mad: keeping me off kilter today. Goods on our Shirley? Okay wee HAVE to see this!
-Mary

GardensOnGlass
08-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Definitely need the "goods" on Shirley, Lois. I've got a little somethin' to bribe you with, but it'll be a surprise. PM me your addy.

Mary, I'm on my way to drop off medication to my DD at work. I think she's got the beginnings of a sinus infection (gets 'em periodicaly). Gonna' wait one more day before calling the Dr.

Partly sunny/cloudy today. Housework & errands & working on the gifts for TJ's nurses. Still dealing with the aftermath of the party break-up. I think the DS is finally getting it. He's more civil today, though not all that much. Had several of the parents I had to call tell me that he was one of the only ones NOT drinking, that he doesn't drink & that they appreciated that they could entrust their kids with him in his car. Maybe I won't lose all my hair before raising these kids!

Good day to all who follow.

debkauz
08-04-2004, 11:49 AM
Mornin Lois and Mary and all who follow,

And lori, who snuck in on me!

Yeah! I vote to see the pics. Does chocolate work as well with you as with Sharon Peters?! LOL

Mary, I sympathize. I have one too. Ithink it's from our 'lovely' weather today. My head's pounding and my neck hurts. Think I will go back to bed for a while.

For those of you NOT in Chicago today. IT SUCKS! Looks almost like about 830pm cause it's so gloomy. It is cool but really humid. The cats were out, but all the wind started freeking them out so they are in. I prefer them in anyway, but they are all yowling to go out again. They can remember things for a very long time if it suits their purposes, but can't remember what happened 2 minutes ago if it doesn't! I mean, it might have changed out there--you know warm and sunny now. Yesh, cats.

Haven't had too much time to myself lately. I thnk I've been at work for days in a row. I'm going to sack out on the couch and read a couple of new bead magazines and a copy of "Spiritual Midwifery" I just got for a friend who is pregnant. I loved it 20 years ago when I worked in an alternative birthing center and from thumbing through, I will like it as much now. Anybody gts pregnant, get it for sure!

Deb

debkauz
08-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Hope this doesn't get moved...it does have to do with our artsy selves doesn't it?

I was just wondering how everyone picked their ativar. Some of you I know what/who it is, but not all.

I picked the grey cat because I love grey cats and because it looks just like my dearly departed Theodorable. I took him mom in as a stray and I KNEW she had a little grey boy inside who would eventually break my heart. He died too young of liver cancer (no he wansn't a drinker) and did indeed break my heart.

How about the rest of you.

Deb

Bangs
08-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Ugh! I have the Chicago weather-head today, too, and am having trouble doing anything productive.

However, yesterday I dropped off another batch of goodies with my friend at Joes' Barber Shop :D We'll see if the first round of sales was a fluke, LOL! Honestly I think I spent as much time pricing these things as making them, since my recordkeeping (or non-recordkeeping) reflects years of accumulating this and that for hobby purposes. Gotta do some serious inventory ......

And in case this turns out to be a business, I created a business card. It contains a photo I've massaged with software, but I'm printing them for the time being on the photo ink jet until I know I'm satisfied. I'll have to figure out how to post it for some critique.

Hope everyone has a good one, or that it at least gets better!

Gee, folks this is work, isn't it! LOL! But I'm loving it.

Barrie
08-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Morning all!! Sounds like Chicago isn't the place to be this morning!! Maybe that weather front is giving you a headache, Mary? Hope it doesn't last long. Lois, dish it up girl!! We wanna see the goods on Shirley!! And we want to see the goodies you bought while you were there too!! Lori, tough love!! It's tougher than you think!! But for their best interest! At least he's coming around. And be proud of him for not caving in to the pressures of his peers. I could tell you teenager stories that would have your hair falling out!!! (I'm anxiously awaiting the onset of the horrible teen years in my youngest - he's now 14 - but hopefully (a really BIG hopefully) he's learned from the older ones and won't be quite as difficult! :) ) Deb, hope you get some time to yourself soon - and be careful where you wave that midewifery book around, I hear that pregnancy is contagious and some people might not appreciate it! LOL! Hey Brenda, yes it is work, but it's too much fun! I've been 'working' at this for 11 years and it gets better and better all the time - who'd have thought!! :)

Weatherwise, we're having a bit of rain, still warm enough to keep the doors and windows open, but not quite warm enough to be toasty. Perfect if you ask me. With all the wildfires burning across our province, I won't complain about the rain at all. My cats are kind of ticked off though, especially the siamese that flakes out, belly up, on the front lawn. I get the distinct feeling that they're blaming me for the water coming out of the sky. You'd think we never had rain before, jeez!!
Well, I'm slowly creeping towards this show, and definitely don't have enough stuff. but I'll have what I have, and that will have to do! I did finish one necklace that I have to string some pearls for, so I get to do that today (been a few years since I've strung anything!!). I'll do the picture thing today for sure! I keep holding you guys in suspense!!
Enjoy your day everyone, I'll be back later to check up on you all!! :)

Beads-Me!
08-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Hi all! I think I've lost the west coast time thing - now I'm just plain pooped from all the fun!! Lois does indeed have some good pictures of Shirley.... teehee! Here's one of (L to R) Libby, Barb Cohan, Shirley, me and Paula just before one of the demo's taken by darling Lois....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2004/14950-11111111111111WCBuddies.jpg

Brenna's out playing so I think I'll sneak out and make a few beads!! :D Have a great day - hope those headaches go away soon!

Lori-O
08-04-2004, 01:13 PM
Hi all..

Just to chime in and tell you my new counselor is so cool. I really do think he can help me. But when I got home, my DDad unloaded on me everything he had been keeping inside for the past 3 years I'd been living with my folks! Lol! Incredible timing. I was feeling strong and unloaded right back. Feels good to have everything in the open, though.

On to Jewlery... Did I ever mention that I posted my finished bangles, a streatchy bracelet (with copper balls, although sadly, not from Miss McDuck, I'm still holding on to that stash for a copper bangle!) and a couple of bead sets on ebay? I just can't remember! Anyway, they are my very first auctions for my own handmade stuff. You can search on LBL (LampworkbyLori) if you want to see them. Nothing too dramatic, but I'm gettin' there! No nibbles yet, but they end Saturday

I just purchased a bangle from Connie Fox and a wire winder, too. I just hate winding wire with an unstabilized mandrel. It's always "wonky".

Good day to all!

ringslingin
08-04-2004, 01:22 PM
I picked mine because it was the only close up picture I had of my face that was decent...usually pictures of me have one eye closed and I'm saying something so my face is twisted in some weird formation.

:confused:

BBsBaubles
08-04-2004, 01:35 PM
My calla lily is a remembrance of my grandmother. Upon her death, my co-workers sent an arrangement of potted calla lilies not knowing it was her favorite flower. Every fall I pull up the bulbs and re-plant in the spring.

When they bloom, she is with me.

Lori-O
08-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Hey! I know some of those folks!

GardensOnGlass
08-04-2004, 01:45 PM
How nice. Well, mine's my boy. Does my heart good to see his smile when I post. Maybe I'll rotate my other 3 periodically. I do love 'em all. Me, I'm not as attractive as my kids, so it'll be a shock to your systems should we every meet in reality :p !

Shirley C.
08-04-2004, 01:59 PM
i had used a mug shot of myself for an avatar for a long time until i had a conversation with fred morgan of OGSI. we were talking about the fact that i used to jump out of airplanes, and he said i should change my tiny head to a picture of me skydiving. so i did, and it surprised the heck out of him. :D

the picture is my 3rd tandem jump from an altitude of 14,000 feet. and if you've never jumped out of a plane, i HIGHLY recommend it!!

Shirley C.
08-04-2004, 02:11 PM
hey, y'all!! i just got home last night around 11 pm, and i think i'm finally awake. i haven't unpacked yet - gotta do that after i get off the computer and hit starbucks again.

had a FABULOUS time in portland, and loved the kate mckinnon class. my head is swimming with new ideas for both beads and jewelry.

and pam - holy lariat, batman!! what an absolutely gorgeous piece you made for the garden exchange. i took it out yesterday in the 2nd day of kate mckinnon's class, and kate came right over to my chair, grabbed it out of my hands, and wore it for the next hour. thank you ever so much!! i should have mine finished up this week, like maybe tonight if i can stay awake. i'm in another class tomorrow and friday - taking a torching class with diana east at jim kervin's studio!!

my mom is now in a rehab/nursing home after her awful car accident - she'll be in a cast (broken ankle) for another 6 - 8 weeks, but she's doing physical therapy twice a day and is making good progress. i haven't had an update on her gentleman friend in a few days, but the last report i got was good. he had contracted pneumonia, and the prognosis wasn't good at all but a few days ago he "turned the corner" and was on the upswing. i'm hoping to get in touch with his son later today and get the latest. i want to thank all of you for your kind thoughts and good wishes, i really do appreciate it!! i've been so stressed out for the last few weeks and it really helps having such thoughtful caring people in my life. you guys rock!!

artbabe21
08-04-2004, 02:11 PM
sorry this is OT for a technical forum & belongs in the chat thread.

LLane
08-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Hey Nancy..... that is a good pic...... I'll only charge half my usual fee for figuring out out to make you guys look so FAB!!! :D

And now....... heeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrreeeeeee's Shirley!!

Barrie
08-04-2004, 02:22 PM
ROFLMAO
Shirley, you go girl!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Dang, I wish I'd been able to go!!!! I'd have given anyhting to see taht outfit in person!! LOL!!!!

debkauz
08-04-2004, 03:13 PM
woo-hoo! I love the outfit! You were havin' way too goo a time!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

Deb

McDuck
08-04-2004, 03:15 PM
*Waves* to Libby, Shirley, Nancy and Paula, you go girls!

Ijustaboutchokedonsnot (yeah gross having a sinus headache) when I saw that pic of Shirley in Flame Drag ROFLMAO more more more we have to see more!

Sounds like you all had a wonderfully terrific time. I cant wait, one day, I will go too. One day before I get too old to hold a mandrel... :rolleyes:

Back to work with me.

-Mary

GardensOnGlass
08-04-2004, 03:46 PM
What Barrie & Mary said !!!!! That pic is a RIOT (I should know, being a former Red Riot with 2 kids who currently are (hs mascot))!

Cathleen, how do we go about inquiring about/lobbying for a lobby like in the glass art forum? Personally, I hate it when topics are merged or moved. I understand there are rules and regulations within any site. I appreciate Scott hosting this site. I've tried to be moderator friendly and not gripe because I know there have been issues in other forums, and this is such a great forum. Glass Art and Wearable Art are my 2 daily check-ins. It bothers me when I see a topic posted by one of our own, moved to another location. Also, it's confusing when topics are merged. I'm sure it's similar with the other forums. There are connections made that are meaningful, and we're able to ask critical questions of one another, seek support, etc., and it's most comfortably done, IMHO with folks I've connected with. I don't want to turn this into a big drawn out thing (especially because this post is part of our daily), so if others share the same thought, please hold your comments 'til Cathleen's had a chance to explain what we might be or aren't able to do in terms of a lobby, I'd appreciate it. Maybe it's been discussed previously, but I don't recall it.

I know this is a technical forum, but from my occasional perusing of the site, some of the forums are far more active than others, and the great people who post are really more involved in eachother's art and lives. Again, I'm not intending to be a PITA, I just really love this forum and the folks in it.

TheBlueBetween
08-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Hey all :) Late popping in here today - I'm sick too Mary - my throat feels on fire and I've lost my voice. I'm off to the doctors soon.

Welcome back all you "Gathering" girls! Great photos - I can't believe that is Shirley - how fun! I'm glad you liked the lariat Shirley and thanks for sharing the story about Kate McKinnon wearing it (How Cool!).

Avitars? I'll play... mine is my view from my house one sunrise and a picture of me and Luke in Hawaii a year and 1/2 ago. Luke was giving me a big wet baby kiss - you know those open mouth kisses babies do? He's outgrown them but gave me one the other day on my cheek and I realized I miss them!

Well that's all from me - I'm off to go clean some beads - I've been practicing encasing for 2 days and am not seeing much improvement... I think I could use a class or two...

:) Pam

Shirley C.
08-04-2004, 10:49 PM
now lois... i want to know how much you got in bribes to show that picture of me. i want a cut, you know! :D

it's funny - most folks didn't recognize me, and those who knew who it was STILL didn't recognize me. but here's a really funny story. our little "performance" at the silly bead contest occurred friday night between 9 and 9:30. after we (the "flame dames") pranced around the room to the tune of "Fire", we went back up to sharon peters' and janice peacock's room and changed back into normal clothes, then hung out in the bar for awhile. then i went back up to my room to finish pricing my beadies for the bazaar the next day. jiley romney, with whom i shared a room as i always do at the gathering, came in and kind of glared at me. then she said, "you made me lose a bead!". i had no idea what she was talking about, but she kept repeating that. finally she told me that she had made a bet with someone (kim watanabe) that it was definitely NOT shirley who was in the red dress, red wig, and purple boa. nope, shirley would never do anything like that, no-sir-eeee! i mean hey, she'd at least tell me if she was going to do that, so i just know it wasn't her. i'll bet you a bead that it wasn't her.

so yeah, she lost the bet... bbwwaaahahahahahaha! (sorry, jiley)

Gingerbiscuit
08-05-2004, 07:23 AM
i'm in another class tomorrow and friday - taking a torching class with diana east at jim kervin's studio!!

You will love it!! Di is really great. My introduction to the torch was a one to one class in Di's studio here in England. I was instantly hooked!

I am glad your mum is on the mend, and that her friend has turned the corner.