PDA

View Full Version : Wear It's At - Tuesday August 3rd

somk
08-03-2004, 09:06 AM
Hello all !

Went to see "The Village" yesterday and I'm not really back yet.. Gosh, I'd love to be able to tell meaningful fables like this guy does..
Anyway, for me today is "wax day" so yay :) I bought some nice tanslucent white sheet, never saw those. I hope we'll be friends.
I've got to try the new Wolf-wax as well, which happens to be silver or gold coloured ! I will test them on a ring commissioned by a customer. Some people are really unsettled by the colours of the carving wax and have trouble "seeing" the final ring in gold or silver when the prototype is red or green... So, Wolf had this imho funny idea to make silver and gold waxes. Is that a gizmo, I don't know yet but it's fun :D

Have a great day all !

~So

Beads-Me!
08-03-2004, 09:12 AM
....yawn.... Hi everyone! I got back late last night and I think I'm going to head back to bed - my eyes don't want to stay open! I had the absolute best time in Portland and have many pictures to share once I really wake up! :rolleyes: It's good to be back but I'm already missing all my my buddies...

So what's happened while I was gone? Anything I have to know about??? :D Have a wonderful day - be back in awhile.... ......yawn......

Gingerbiscuit
08-03-2004, 09:21 AM
So, hope your new wax is succesful for you. Nancy, glad you had a great time. I wish I could have gone too! Looking forward to your photos.

Iím working on my bracelet again today. I hope to get it finished by bedtime, LOL! It is along the lines of the one I made for Paula in the lush garden exchange. I am using seed beads and African turquoise chips. I love African turquoise!

We had a sleepless night last night due to thunderstorms and a scared big dog. So I am yawning in unison with Nancy!

I hope everyone has a great day.

Barrie
08-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Good morning! Busy day ahead for me, so this is a quick fly by! Making more jewelry, will show pics later!! Have a good one!

TheBlueBetween
08-03-2004, 10:48 AM
Hi everyone :)

Have fun with your wax So - I know what you mean - I had my wedding/engagement ring re-done a few years ago and while I do have a better time than most seeing the end result, the red wax was startling.

Welcome home Nancy! I think the biggest things you missed were some nice show and tells and Barbara is a new grandmother. Go get some more sleep and come back and show us pictures!

Lynne, you sure have had a lot of thunder this summer - isn't that pretty unusual for your area? Can't wait to see your bracelet :)

Yesterday I spent the afternoon cleaning my studio - I couldn't find a single thing I was looking for so I did some major organizing. Still haven't found one of the sets of beads I was looking for though. And hey, does anyone have any good ideas for storing/organizing seed bead tubes???? Right now they are in a BIG tub. No easy way to find the color I want.

Last night was fun though - DH asked me and Luke to go with him into Seattle to pick up his glass from his glass blowing workshop (he just wanted our bodies for the carpool lane) but when we got there the kiln was still at 250 and we had to wait - so we got dinner and then settled in to watch some guys make some very cool vases - it was really fun! Luke loved it too - kept asking what they were doing now and why. This place was kind of wild - very loud obnoxious music (lots of swearing and rude sound effects but Luke didn't seem to notice) and they had a disco ball and lights... and then all the fire, and glass.... almost makes me want to jazz up my studio a little LOL.

Today I get torch time - it's been a couple of weeks so I'm sure I will be rusty.... but I have some new glass to play with!

Ta!
Pam

Gingerbiscuit
08-03-2004, 11:00 AM
Lynne, you sure have had a lot of thunder this summer - isn't that pretty unusual for your area? Can't wait to see your bracelet :)Pam

Is it summer already??? LOL! We are definitely having more than our normal share of storms this year!

Yesterday I spent the afternoon cleaning my studio - I couldn't find a single thing I was looking for so I did some major organizing. Still haven't found one of the sets of beads I was looking for though. And hey, does anyone have any good ideas for storing/organizing seed bead tubes???? Right now they are in a BIG tub. No easy way to find the color I want.

Pam, I really like the flip top boxes from Out on a Whim. They come in 4 sizes, and for my size 11's I use the largest size. 12 fit in an outer clear case, and it is so easy to see the beads. The individual containers are clear too, and very handy to put alongside the beads you are considering to see if they "go."

http://www.whimbeads.com/usb.html and nice people too!

Your evening yesterday sounds like fun!

McDuck
08-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Helloooo Everyone! A quick drive by for me too. Computer is fixed! :clap: Needed to load an older registry as obviously someone ruined the other one! :mad: Show went well. made plenty of new contacts, but the show was very sloooooooow as they did not get to advertise in any major journals.

-hugs,
Mary

Andee
08-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Good evening everybody!

Lynne, can't wait to see that bracelet! :)

Had a busy and somewhat frustrating day. I re-organized my torch table, stored all the glass rods in a drawer (I had them standing around on the table before, it was a real mess), meaning I had to cut most of them in pieces so they would fit in, meaning I had LOADS of splinters in my fingers (and will probably have some in my feet sometime soon)... :rolleyes: But the frustrating part is that now I have really worn out all my torches (I use hardware-store-torches usually used for soldering as I can't have a real one in my appartment), and these sort-of went out of line, the new ones are crap and just burn the heck (is it actually okay to use some stronger word than that here?) out of the glass, so I really have no idea how I will be able to continue flameworking... *deep sigh*

Wishing you all a good night! :)

beclectic
08-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Good evening everybody!

Lynne, can't wait to see that bracelet! :)

Had a busy and somewhat frustrating day. I re-organized my torch table, stored all the glass rods in a drawer (I had them standing around on the table before, it was a real mess), meaning I had to cut most of them in pieces so they would fit in, meaning I had LOADS of splinters in my fingers (and will probably have some in my feet sometime soon)... :rolleyes: But the frustrating part is that now I have really worn out all my torches (I use hardware-store-torches usually used for soldering as I can't have a real one in my appartment), and these sort-of went out of line, the new ones are crap and just burn the heck (is it actually okay to use some stronger word than that here?) out of the glass, so I really have no idea how I will be able to continue flameworking... *deep sigh*

Wishing you all a good night! :)

Have you tried a HotHead torch. Screws onto a regular disposable Propane cylinder, looks like a regular plumber's soldering torch but it is specially made for lampworking?

Andee
08-03-2004, 04:10 PM
Barbara - I have briefly considered an HH, but you can't just go and buy the MAPP cylinders everywhere here and the one source I found offers them for a just incredibly high price, so that's not really an alternative... I suppose I'll just have to check if there are other suppliers of similar soldering torches that might work, I just don't get my hopes up too high... Thanks, tho!

tamjai
08-03-2004, 05:50 PM
andee - i use a HH and have tried both mapp and regular camping propane - could not find any discernable difference other than price. Here mapp is three times more expensive than propane - some glass people would argue with me but, this has been my experience and i use moretti, spectrum 96 and scrap stained glass, the propane is all good! :D
tam

DonnaBee
08-03-2004, 07:01 PM
Hi everyone!

Six more days until I get DSL back again.....

at least that is what they tell me this time. I think they might really have it together this time though. They said that when I moved that they forwarded my DSL to the wrong address. Huh? Whatever! :mad:

So, I have been on dial up all this time, since beginning of July, and WC is not the same experience on dial-up for me. It just isn't.

I have only viewed maybe ten percent of the number of WCer's creations as I normally like to.

Well, I am grateful for DSL after this, let me tell you! So six more days.... then I can look at all the show n tells here and in glass once again... I have seen some, but most - not. Just the little thumbnails. :(

Happy Tuesday everyone! :D

GardensOnGlass
08-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Evening all. Well have you ever been on the mommy [email protected]!+ list? I am at the top of the list. My 16year old was supposed to be sleeping at a friend's last night (the mom is out of town at a class & his grandparents live down the street), just the 2 of them, eating pizza, watching a movie. NOT!! There were 8 kids there, eating pizza & watching a movie with a 30 pack. Not all were drinking, but some were. Well, it's not sitting well that I found out about it & busted the party, nor is the fact that I called all of the parents today. Why does being a good mommy sometimes feel so crappy?

I'm done whining. Have a good evening (what's left of it). (Maybe I'll be on the good mommy list tomorrow?)

DonnaBee
08-03-2004, 11:13 PM
Lori, you go!

I haven't reached those years yet with mine..... but I am right here cheering you on! From one mommy to another.... ;)

GardensOnGlass
08-03-2004, 11:23 PM
Thanks Donna, I needed that!

tamjai
08-03-2004, 11:54 PM
Lori - here up north we had a series of ads (they were loosely anti-drug, anti-drinking, anti-smoking without actually saying any of the above) that ran on tv last year that would have made you feel better - a series of kids complaining ( in real kid - language ) about the questions parents asked and the rules they set down and then at the end of each one was a kid saying thanks - basically for caring enought to be a hard-ass - they were subtle but, made their point - kids need rules and later on - even appreciate them having been enforced - kids are more stable when their parents are aware and voice their opinions - it helps them become stable, aware, opininated people ( we need those )
don't sweat - it's being there for them (good or bad) that counts
tam