PDA

View Full Version : Everything but the Kitchen Sink.........

nursekatie
08-02-2004, 07:50 PM
My Shorts are abounding so I have given myself the task to clean them up this week. No long rods allowed. I have found a creative side to this project....it is interseting to see what colors I use that I might not normally use. It is a great learning experience....for those who haven't tried it.....TRY IT!! For those who have....post your pics here of what resulted from adding everything and anything to your beads!!! Here are the ones I made last night..............I had some redution frit stringer and some SIS in my pile too......fun huh??? (If you try it...be sure and let us see what you came up with!!)

nursekatie
08-02-2004, 11:21 PM
LOL...ok guys....I didn't post this because I thought these beads were out of site....I posted it because I thought it was a fun idea!!! Don't be shy...You don't have to rave about the beads.......just trying to spark some creativity here!!! :D

aimee
08-02-2004, 11:30 PM
I wish I had something to post but I usually melt my little ends together.

But I really like the red bead with the swirled ends.

Rose Leslie
08-03-2004, 12:38 AM
I was wqondering what to do with ends other than fuse them. They are just WOW. That is an understatement. Love the one with the silver.
Rose Leslie :clap: :clap: :clap:

MegannsMom
08-03-2004, 12:43 AM
LOL...ok guys....I didn't post this because I thought these beads were out of site....I posted it because I thought it was a fun idea!!! Don't be shy...You don't have to rave about the beads.......just trying to spark some creativity here!!! :D

Hey! Don't sell yourself short! I think that your post got lost in the shuffle. I for one think that it's a great idea! Being so VERY new, I really don't have all that many shorts to use, but what I do do (hee hee, do-do..! OK, enough of my beavis and butthead moment :evil: ) is; make a base bead then start adding stuff with out looking at what I pick up next. Helps me to be more creative, get away from the old stand-by favorites I use way too much! As soon as I get some shorts( the few I have are tossed together to smash up for frit) I am going to try this! BTW, I LOVE the purple one!
~Cindy

SusanH
08-03-2004, 03:10 AM
Thanks, Katie- I was feeling a bit unchallenged today at the torch- you know - no new ideas, no old ones calling to be redone and nothing looks or feels right. So, tomorrow, I will get out either one or both of my "shorts" buckets and have at it. I can't wait. Thanks for the great idea!!!
Susan

Beth Myers
08-03-2004, 03:16 AM

Katie,
I bet you've sparked many here with your ideas and beads.
So many people are getting back from the Gathering and unwinding, I'm sure you will get some responses tomorrow.
I remember a couple months ago, when you posted another thread about shorts, that drew a lot of comments and attention. I believe you are giving people good ideas about an often overlooked resourse.
Good for you.
Thank you.
Beth

beachbeads
08-05-2004, 04:14 AM
I really like the purple one next to bottom photo. This would be a good challenge. What happened to the challenges?

nursekatie
08-05-2004, 07:50 AM
I really like the purple one next to bottom photo. This would be a good challenge. What happened to the challenges?

Lets see what you can come up with!! I have more!! It really does stretch your imagination!! I want to see what everyone comes up with!!!

Nokomis
08-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Katie:
You have inspired me to open the "jar o' shorts" and just play. I really like the idea of picking something out of the jar w/out planning! Maybe I'll call it the "tossed salad" bead - will give it a try! I think what really appeals to me is the freedom involved - most of the time my obsessive compulsive side has me planning in advance what I will be making. We'll see what comes out of the kiln on Sat. am!!Thanks for the inspiration! :clap:

nursekatie
08-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Jennyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! (shhh I am at work!) Yes, Ms. Planner!! Try it....then be sure and bring what you make with you when you come on Saturday!! WOhhooo!!! I bet your creative side is going to love the spontanaity!!! Hugssss my friend.....good to see you here!!

Katie:
You have inspired me to open the "jar o' shorts" and just play. I really like the idea of picking something out of the jar w/out planning! Maybe I'll call it the "tossed salad" bead - will give it a try! I think what really appeals to me is the freedom involved - most of the time my obsessive compulsive side has me planning in advance what I will be making. We'll see what comes out of the kiln on Sat. am!!Thanks for the inspiration! :clap:

nicker
08-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Katie...WOW.....I have loads of shorts how i wound up with so many in such a short time is beyond me! My workbench is cluttered so I'll give it a shot. I am doing dots this week so I'll try using my shorts up in the practice!

Nokomis
08-05-2004, 02:45 PM
Shhhh, am taking a break from lesson planning - well ok, I haven't started lesson planning, but right after this reply, REALLY! But seriously, thank you for the idea on using "shorts" - I just thought about them in terms of frit. Can't wait for Sat - can you help me with lentils? Yours are outstanding and mine....well they look like a donut that was run over by a truck (sniffle!) :confused: . Happy Thursday!

P.S. This would be a very cool challenge! Spontineity! Mystery! Fun, fun, fun!

CharleneN
08-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Katie,

I love those beads!!! esp the red one....what a great idea. I usually fuse mine together and use them up that way. How do you hold them? Do you use pliers??

Charlene

snootyvixen
08-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Katie - what an inspiration! I usually use my shorts to make twisties, but if they are just too short they go in the "bit bucket" and end up something like this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2004/14836-b040530_funky_apple_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2004/14836-b040530_funky_apple_2.jpg

(same pendant, 2 views)

I have more of these, I just haven't had time to photograph them yet. My method is to just get a big blob of glass on the end of the mandrel, and when it's good and molten, I dip it in my "bit bucket" (that's a coffee can full of bits I pick up off my work surface, or nubs that are too small to hold any more - the bit bucket is the stage prior to frit! LOL!) - and bring it back to the flame and melt everything in. Then I shape it into a pendant - some of them I flatten, some get rounded in a marble mold and some just get dunked in a glass of water! LOL!

Vikki

Vikki

nursekatie
08-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Ohhh Vikki that is an incredibly cool idea!! There are lots of things that people do with their shorts, it is so fun to hear about it....it sparks so many ideas!! I love the fact that I end up doing something....or putting colors together that I never would have thought of........so when I get back to my long rods.......I have something new to try!!

nicker
08-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Vikki...good idea. I will use up some of mine in some funky vessels! I need to tidy my bench and I'm having a bad day so no inspiration here. This wuld help that!

snootyvixen
08-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Vikki...good idea. I will use up some of mine in some funky vessels! I need to tidy my bench and I'm having a bad day so no inspiration here. This wuld help that!

LOL! You have that problem too??? I left Portland with so many ideas in my head, and I haven't been able to carry one of them to fruition!

Thanks Katie! It is good to see what other people do with their shorts! I, too, am on a mission NOT to use any full rods until anything under 6" is used up!

Vikki

nicker
08-05-2004, 07:39 PM
Vikki partly too many ideas and partly just a %$#@ day. I got bucked off my 4 yr old and I am mad at myself. She was doing so well and I tried to ride her while a gravel truck was going into the yard, then a motor bike went by....hence me getting bucked off. She is terrified of traffic and I am an ass for thinking she'd be ok with it. I'll just play with my shorts today I may wreck anything else :crying: