PDA

View Full Version : My first pastel!

Shirl
10-10-2001, 03:05 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2001/lstpastel.JPG

Well, actually I did one 40+ years ago (with "chalk"). I'm looking for a comfortable color medium since I've mostly used graphite, so I bought some "equine" pastels and gave it a try. I recently attended an equine art show and saw the most marvelous pastel paintings! There were almost more pastel paintings than oils. I bought Nupastels since I liked their shape, and a 15-sample Rembrandt set. I also used some black/white/sepia/dark brown charcoal. I think I will be very comfortable with this medium, but I want to get some pastel pencils for detailed work (I'm a detail, blending nut). (My drawing of the horse is out of whack, probably because I was so absorbed in working with the pastels--but I don't care :).) I blended with my fingers and a small bristle brush. I used Mi-Tientes paper--is that a good paper? Please, any advice would be cherished!!

Shirl

Anna Marie
10-10-2001, 04:21 PM
I'm Impressed. I also get carried away rubbing in with my fingers. I think pastel is ideal for horses but could I ask you what you mean by an Equine set of pastels??

Have you ben to the site of Lesley Ann Hartman she does a lot of Arabs in pastel and is also very helpful she has Email'd me some feedback!

http://www.lesleyannhartman.com

Shirl
10-10-2001, 05:25 PM
Hi Anna Marie,

My "equine pastels" were just picked out by me in horse colors :). I didn't want to get too carried away if I couldn't handle pastels.

Well we have great taste! I regard Leslie Ann Hartman as the BEST in equine art for the Arabs. Astounding. I've emailed her from time to time and she always replies promptly. I encouraged her to write a book--hope she does some day.

Shirl

Sandi
10-22-2001, 01:13 AM
Fantastic for a 100th one, let alone a FIRST!!! You're a natural Shirl. I'm green with envy, to be honest! Of your graphites AND NOW YOUR PASTELS TOO!! (((Shirl))) You go girl!!

dollardays
10-23-2001, 09:10 AM
I wish my first pastel had turned out this well. I don't know horses but I love this one! Very nice!!!
As for the paper, I use Canson all the time. To experiment, try the back (smooth) side if you want to eliminate some of the paper showing through and get a more finished look.
Nora

RedShoes
10-23-2001, 12:13 PM
This is really beautiful! So how much are you going to sell it for?? ;) Really, you have a natural ability!

amanda
11-05-2001, 09:10 AM
I just wanted to say that this is gorgeous, wonderful pastel work! I love it.

Victor
11-13-2001, 12:30 AM
I think this is outstanding, are you sure this is a first ? lol

:clap:

Vic..............

Emsal
11-13-2001, 03:46 PM
Lovely. Excellent use of all the wonderful golden colours in your collection of pastels.

LDianeJohnson
11-13-2001, 07:58 PM
Shirl

Bravo! I think you've found a home in pastel.

Your blending is fine...cleanly done. I would just recommend not using your fingers directly as the oils can come off onto the paper and repel further pastel from being applied. Or, if you do, wash your hands well before beginning to paint.

As for Canson. It's fine. You might try using the other side next time if you like a smooth appearance, the "felt" side will be even more favorable to your technique.

ironhorse
11-18-2001, 11:44 AM
Beatuiful Shirl. I think you've found a medimum that sutes you!:clap: And the horse is not that out of wack!:D
Twyla