PDA

View Full Version : Hobby Lobby sale - 50% off artist papers

artist_pw
08-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Hi:

I thought I'd mention that I noticed this week, Hobby Lobby is having an in-store sale for 50% off artist's pads and papers. The local stores around KC usually have ArtSpectrum sheets and lately, 8.5x11 sample packs of either warm or cool toned ColourFix papers. Hope this might help at least a few people.

Khadres
08-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the heads-up! Have been wondering when they'd have that sale again!

Khadres
08-04-2004, 03:00 AM
OK, I went to Hobby Lobby today and got a couple sheets of Colorfix (a color I didn't have) and got a mat cut for visualizing work (they didn't have one as big as I needed ready-cut)...$8.85 for a 16X20 opening! Looks like, once the Expo's over, I'm gonna be in the market for a mat cutter!

artist_pw
08-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Hi:

Me too. I hate wasting money buying custom cut mats at Hobby Lobby. I bought one because I needed one fast, and it was around $10. I can buy an entire sheet of 4ply museum board for about that, and cut at least 4 of the mats from that. They must make an incredible amount, because at least at the Hobby Lobby I got that mat, they had one of those high end computerized mat cutters. I saw one of these on Ebay the other day for about 4,000.

Also, I've been trying to win a fairly inexpensive Logan 650 on Ebay. It looks like one or two people are routinely selling them - one is see426. This person looks appears to set one up as a "buy now" price of 359.00 (+$34 shipping), and sell some with reserve prices, and others with no reserve. The ones set with no reserve have been going for around 240-300 I think, and other people have been selling some used ones, too. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a good deal soon. I've seen Jerry's currently is selling one for 359., and the shipping costs on that are also around $30. Another person, artsupplies, has one now at a "buy now" price of 327, with 32.95 for shipping. I got a new ASW Express sale catalog today, and the Logan 650's are for 369, and there is probably free shipping. Oh, well, I thought I'd mention this in case anyone has been looking.

Khadres
08-04-2004, 11:11 PM
I've been looking at a couple of cheaper ones...the 450 seems good enough for me and can be had at Blick's for well under $200...add a few mat board sheets to that and get free shipping. I'm just holding off until after the Expo in NM...not sure how costly that's gonna be for me :D...

But you have it right about Hobby Lobby....they're gonna take the 16X20 cutout from the one they cut for me and cut THAT into a precut one for another 6 or 7 bucks and the cutout from THAT for a mini for another 3 or 4. Not bad for a 20X24 inch piece of mat board!

I also had no idea that glass was gonna be that expensive either! Holy smokes, plain old glass is bad enough....don't even THINK about the non glare or the UV type! And we haven't even gotten to a FRAME yet! Wooey! Suddenly makes expensive pastels and Wallis paper the cheapest part of the deal by far!

artist_pw
08-06-2004, 03:47 AM
Hi:

Before you get a mat cutter, you might check out Ebay - if you're patient and want to bid, you might be able to get one at a little more of a bargain. Also, Michaels has some lower end Logan mat cutters, but I can't recall off the top which ones. Every once in a while, the Sunday KCStar will have a 40% off on regular price item coupon in the Michaels ad, and since the mat cutter is about $90 bucks, this could help the cost. You might check that out, too if you have a local Michaels.

If I am able to get a good mat cutter soon, I thought about trying to offer other MAPS members custom cut mats for just a little bit, like not much more than just that section of mat would be, especially, if the mats really are pretty easy to cut with it, just to help out, and maybe, even more justify my getting the mat cutter.

Khadres
08-06-2004, 12:39 PM
If I am able to get a good mat cutter soon, I thought about trying to offer other MAPS members custom cut mats for just a little bit, like not much more than just that section of mat would be, especially, if the mats really are pretty easy to cut with it, just to help out, and maybe, even more justify my getting the mat cutter.

I'm sure you'd get plenty of folks who'd appreciate help with custom mats! If you only charged them the cost of a full sheet of mat board, then you could keep the leftovers for your own use and they'd still be getting a great deal. I had a friend who used to do that for friends and it gave him the chance to try out colors and textures, etc. that he wouldn't probably have ordered for himself. He had an old Dexter cutter, not that easy to use, but it didn't take him long to get really good with it. I don't even want to THINK of what double or triple mats must cost at a retailer!

I did, however, get some great deals on mini mats...most of them were double for only $1 to $3 for the fancy ones. I don't mind that so much, even tho I realize that, inch for inch, I'm paying even MORE for those...it just doesn't seem like it. LOL

Let me know what you wind up getting and how you like it!