PDA

View Full Version : Master of the Month #8 - August

dcorc
08-01-2004, 09:26 AM
Firstly, welcome to our new forum! :)

August already - Some of us are feeling like seasoned veterans, by now!

This month we look at Frans Hals (1580 - 1666)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2004/30792-franshals.jpg

and his painting The Merry Drinker c.1628 - 1630 31.89 x 26.18 inches / 81 x 66.5 cm

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2004/30792-merrydrinkersmaller.jpg

Oil on canvas

Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Large version here (http://www.dcorc.co.uk/merrydrinker.jpg)

Hals was born in Antwerp, Belgium - the son of Protestant Flemish parents who moved to Holland after the city fell to the Catholic Spaniards in 1585 and settled in the prosperous Dutch city of Haarlem by 1591.

He is said to have been taught in Haarlem by Karel van Mander. Hals had two brothers who also became painters – one, Dirk (1591-1656), painted small interior scenes.

He was married twice, had at least ten children, (including five painter sons), was constantly in financial trouble and was forced to lead a precarious existence We know that he frequently owed money to his baker or shoemaker!

Apart from his sons, Hals taught numerous pupils, including (with varying degrees of certainty) Judith Leyster, Jan Miense Molenaer, Adriaen van Ostade, Adriaen Brouwer, and Philips Wouwerman.

Almost all his works are portraits and even those that are not (some genre scenes, and an occasional religious picture) are portrait-like in character. Hals's early works are not numerous or well documented.The earliest extant picture is the fragment of a portrait Jacobus Zaffius (Hals Museum, Haarlem, 1611), and upon the basis of stylistic evidence one or two paintings can be dated a year or so earlier. Nothing he did before 1616 suggested that he would shatter well-established traditions with his life-size group portrait The Banquet of the Officers of the St George Militia Company (Hals Museum) painted during that year.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2004/30792-sggbanquet.jpg

The citizens of the proudly independent towns of the Netherlands had to do their turn in serving as militiamen, usually under the command of the most prosperous inhabitants. It was the custom in the city of Haarlem to honour the officers of these units after their stint of duty with a sumptuous banquet, and it had also become a tradition to commemorate these happy events in a large painting. It was surely no easy matter for an artist to record the likenesses of so many men within one frame without the result looking stiff or contrived - as earlier efforts invariably did. The vigorous composition and characterization of this picture was truly novel, and demonstrates his remarkable ability to capture a sense of fleeting movement and expression thereby conveying a compelling feeling of vivacity.

From 1616 onwards there is no shortage of dated or documented works and his artistic development is clear. He was at the height of his popularity in the 1620s and 1630s. During these decades he made five large group portraits of civil guards; one is in the Rijksmuseum and the others are in the Frans Hals Museum, Haarlem,

“The portraits of Hals give us the impression that the painter has 'caught' his sitter at a characteristic moment and fixed it for ever on canvas. It is difficult for us to imagine how bold and unconventional these paintings must have looked to the public. The very way in which Hals handled paint and brush suggests that he quickly seized a fleeting impression. Earlier portraits are painted with visible patience - we sometimes feel that the subject must have sat still for many a session while the painter carefully recorded detail upon detail. Hals never allowed his model to get tired or stale. We seem to witness his quick and deft handling of the brush through which he conjures up the image of tousled hair or of a crumpled sleeve with a few touches of light and dark paint. Of course, the impression that Hals gives us, the impression of a casual glimpse of the sitter in a characteristic movement and mood, could never have been achieved without a very calculated effort. What looks at first like a happy-go-lucky approach is really the result of a carefully thought-out effect.” (Ernst Gombrich)

In the 1630s (the period from which "The Merry Drinker" dates) his compositions became simpler, and monochromatic effects took the place of the bright colors of the earlier paintings (Lucas de Clercq and Feyntje van Steenkiste, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, 1635). The group portrait of the Regents of the St Elizabeth Hospital (Hals Museum, 1641) sets the key for the sober restraint of the late period, when his pictures became darker and his brush-strokes more economical. The culmination of this phase -- indeed of his entire career -- are his group portraits of the Regents and the Regentesses of the Old Men's Alms House (Hals Museum, c. 1664).

By this time Hals was using in his commissioned portraits the bold brushwork and the alla prima technique which early in his career he reserved for genre pictures. No drawings by him are known and he presumably worked straight on to the canvas.

In his old age - he lived to be over eighty - he was destitute, and the almshouse (whose board of governors he painted) of the municipal authorities of Haarlem awarded him a small annual stipend four years before his death. He died September 1, 1666, in what is now the Frans Hals Museum in Haarlem

Few critics before 1850 praised him. It was only in the second half of the 19th century that there was a renewed appreciation of his genius. The spontaneity of his work appealed to the generation of the Impressionists, and from about 1870 to about 1920 he was one of the most popular of the Old Masters, becoming a model for society portraitists such as Sargent. Lord Hertford's purchase of his most famous work, The Laughing Cavalier (Wallace Collection, London, 1624), for the then enormous sum of 51,000 francs in 1865, was a milestone.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2004/30792-LaughingCavalier.jpg

The broad brushstroke, and two other painting techniques Hals employed, fully illuminating the figures with direct light, and blending the bright colors directly on the canvas, are characteristic of his work and add a robust and lively quality to his portraits, particularly to the genre or character pieces he painted from 1620 to 1640, including the one we are painting this month, “The Merry Drinker”

(suggestions for an approach to painting "The Merry Drinker" follows shortly! :) )

Dave

dcorc
08-01-2004, 10:53 AM
As Barb Solomon posted in the discussion thread:

From the GroveArt website:

Pigment analysis has shown that, especially in the flesh parts, there is no clear division between the layers of paint, indicating that he painted alla prima or ‘wet on wet’. Before c. 1626, Hals applied a ground of white and grey under the flesh colours. His priming generally consisted of a light-coloured layer, with a thinner, darker one above it, the colour of which varied from one painting to another. His colour schemes, which developed from bright to monochrome, were achieved with a fairly limited palette. In the Portrait of a Lady (1627; Chicago, IL, A. Inst.), only six pigments have been identified. The umber-coloured background seen in many of his portraits was achieved with a mixture of lead white, yellow ochre and black. In his later work, only four colours have been found: black, white, Venetian red and light ochre.

Which also fits in with Einion's palette suggestions:

Lead White, Yellow Ochre, Light Red/Red Oxide, Lamp Black and probably a little umber for the underpainting are likely in this one.

Notice that this painting that Hals often merely broadly suggests form, blocking it in with fluid paint, (perhaps with a little blending), particularly in the darker areas, then picking out highlights in brighter paint, often applied as a series of short straight hatch-marks, using buttery paint. Essentially an Alla Prima approach.

I've pulled out some examples - might make it easier to concentrate on the brushwork

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2004/30792-pieces.jpg

So, let's start..........

:) Dave

RhiannonJ
08-01-2004, 11:17 AM
I won't be painting this one but WILL be watching this one closely. Can't wait to see what Dianne and Heidi do with theirs! :D ;)

Rhi

artbabe21
08-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Hey Dave & everyone! Glad you directed me here....sheesh, I KNOW about this place & was looking in the regular spot! Thanks for posting this....I won't be painting this one but will be cheering you guys/gals on...:)

bjs0704
08-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Thanks, Dave! Hals has always been one of my favorites. It looks like it is going to be both fun and challenging!

The palette sounds about right. There is a strong influence of Caravaggio in his work.

Barb Solomon:cat:

irish artist
08-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Hi Dave, I'd PM'd you about trying this and here it is! My oils instructor has us take a recess during the hot weather and, boy, will he be surprised when I return in Sept. with this! One question; what size?

painterbert
08-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Unless you're stretching your own, the closest standard size that comes to that aspect is 24x30.

irish artist
08-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Yep, bert, I just found that out and went ahead with the closest size that I could find and am extending the painting on the top and bottom to make it fit. Guess it won't be a "close" orginial. :( I've found that when I'm painting this copy I find myself thinking about what the artist thought as he painted, does it get to you that way?

painterbert
08-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Doing any copy you must think like the originator as much as you can. I decided not to do this one since it is so far from my style, and I need to practice my style more. Good luck to you.

dcorc
08-01-2004, 08:36 PM
I'm going with 16x20ins, which is about as small as I think it's desirable to get. In general I'd encourage people to do smaller MOMs at actual size, and larger ones at between 2/3rds and actual. (so as to be able to do something which tries to at least approximate to the original brushwork)

Dave

DLGardner
08-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Hey, there you guys are! I have been looking for two days for this MOM. Shows how much I actually read the site eh? I'm wondering tho if we shouldn't put a link to this where we used to be-at least for this month.

Pull a switch on me will ya.

Ok, who's with me on this? Done in Hals style.

Four colors??? wow. I think I'll have to purchase a tube of black unless Sepia will work. What do you think masters?

Dianne

Link to high resolution image of Pippin as the Merry Drinker
http://tscnet.com/pages/dgard/pippindrinker.jpg

dcorc
08-02-2004, 11:40 AM
Hey, there you guys are! I have been looking for two days for this MOM. Shows how much I actually read the site eh? I'm wondering tho if we shouldn't put a link to this where we used to be-at least for this month.

Pull a switch on me will ya.

The Electric Chair does seem a little excessive, as punishment, Dianne - even in our brave new world of harsh critiques :D :D

I think putting a link as a sticky for a while is a very good idea!

Dave

DLGardner
08-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Consider it done.

And now-to the pub!

Dianne

DLGardner
08-02-2004, 11:59 AM
The Electric Chair does seem a little excessive, as punishment, Dianne - even in our brave new world of harsh critiques

You are too funny,

Consider that criticism. :D

Dianne

painterbert
08-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Studio Products just came out with their first group of black oil colors. I don't know if Hals had black oil, but this might be a good test for them. Hmm.

artbabe21
08-02-2004, 01:15 PM
- even in our brave new world of harsh critiques :D :D

Dave are you trying to say something here? :confused:

Link stickied Dianne!Thanks, good idea...:)

dcorc
08-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Dave are you trying to say something here? :confused:

"Just my opinion" ;)

:) Dave

irish artist
08-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Studio Products just came out with their first group of black oil colors. I don't know if Hals had black oil, but this might be a good test for them. Hmm.

What are you talking about-Dick Blick? Sounds interesting all right. My oils instructor has everyone start in grays for underpainting and glaze in color-you can't see the underpainting time you are done but it shows through- check out my oil posted in Portraits if you don't believe it-"Torn Photograph". I'm proud of it, even though it was done in class and is my first oil. I'll probably treasure it for a long time for just that reason. I painted a copy of an antique photo torn and taped down.

Found it half-way -down, page 22, Portraits :D

DLGardner
08-02-2004, 07:00 PM
The 'Other' Merry Drinker

or Pippin is Peepin

DLGardner
08-02-2004, 08:28 PM
Peekin

irish artist
08-02-2004, 08:28 PM
LOL Peppin Peepin' LOL Next it will be Peter Piper!!!!

Talk about getting creative! Aren't you going to stick to Frans Hals palette? I don't think he was this colorful.

DLGardner
08-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Talk about getting creative! Aren't you going to stick to Frans Hals palette? I don't think he was this colorful.
Well, the only way I strayed from his palette is the background. I painted over a canvas awhile ago and I think I have some ultramarine in there, but it should be completely covered by the time I'm done.
My palette is
Sepia (in place of black-I don't have black)
Yellow Ochre
Naples Red
Zinc/Titatium white.

dcorc
08-02-2004, 08:34 PM

This "harsh critiques" thing is really infectious, isn't it :p :D LOL

(but I was just about to ask the same question :) )

;) Dave

irish artist
08-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Oh no, Mr. Frans Hals just rolled over in his grave: He's muttering : "Dab it, why wasn't I more colorful.....she did THAT with my palette????" :eek:

DLGardner
08-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Actually I think Fran's paintings are quite colorful. The neat thing is he's using the inexpensive pigments of his times-and the people he painted wore clothing dyed with inexpensive pigments-unless of course they were the upper class. But this chap probably wasn't if he was his drinking buddy.

This is going to come in really handy when I do my Renaissance portraits in October. I picked up the yellow ochre and Naples Red pigments and I'm mixing them myself. I think when I go to do the portraits I'll use Hals' palette. Much different than I'm used to but loads of fun.

C'mon now, where is everybody elses?

Dianne

dcorc
08-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Haven't started mine yet - apart from the 3-ring circus ;) , I've got some other stuff (it's a secret, for the moment) that I'm finishing off

Dave

irish artist
08-03-2004, 05:39 AM
I've begun but its not far enough along to post yet. I had a big canvas that was ordered for a portrait that was canceled and its 26by 36 and am having trouble with the extra space on top and bottom, just have rough brush work there so far. I can probably post in two or three days. :D

irish artist
08-03-2004, 05:42 AM
This is going to come in really handy when I do my Renaissance portraits in October. I picked up the yellow ochre and Naples Red pigments and I'm mixing them myself. I think when I go to do the portraits I'll use Hals' palette. Much different than I'm used to but loads of fun.

C'mon now, where is everybody elses?

Dianne

What's Renaissance Portraits? Another thread? What your mixing method and reciepe?

artbabe21
08-03-2004, 10:39 AM
So what's with the naples red? I thought I had every color they made...lol
What's the pigment number?

Is it similar to venetian red? indian red? that group?

artbabe21
08-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Dianne...you already have a likenes of that new facelift he got. Maybe from hangin' at the pub too much! :)

Everyone's colors & style will come out, it's our signature! Di, it's lovely!

DLGardner
08-03-2004, 11:07 AM
What's Renaissance Portraits? Another thread? What your mixing method and reciepe?

No, the Renaissance Portraits are portraits that I am going to be doing at The Renaissance faire in October. I have signed up to be a merchant and will be hopefully doing some portraits onsite. They prefer that we are as authentic as we possible so aside from being in full costumre, I thought if I learned to mix the pigments if would be a little more interesting for everyone. I've only started doing this. I'm only mixing the Daniel Smith pigment with refined linseed oil-nothing else. I'm sure someone will come along and tell me I'm doing it all wrong, but I downloaded some instructions off the internet showing that that is all I have to do. We'll see how well it works on this painting.

Cath, Did I say Naples? Oh shoot me, I didn't mean Naples I meant Napthol. Why am I such a clutz. Someday my typing fingers may co ordinate with my brain and we'll all be the better for it. :(

Thanks for keeping on me.
Dianne

Yokovich
08-03-2004, 12:52 PM
hi MOM-er's! I think I will give this one a shot but I can't start for a couple of days--I just wanted to stop by and say something witty or harsh and alert you to the fact that I'll be here (and that I love the little clappie guy. lavish me with clappie guys at every stage......k?)

Jaysen
08-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Is anyone going to attempt this using the Flemish technique? It obviously has the characteristic olive imprimatura with an umbre base for the shadows. Oh, I might be tempted to try this as a third project for august. First, I'm going to look for a large version of the image.

DLGardner
08-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Ok, so no one else wants to play yet. :)

Then you will get bombarded with Pippin in his merry costume.

Here is the next phase. I'm going to be printing up a close up of his face today so I can do the detail there. Just a rough in-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2004/8002-Pip4.jpg

Dianne

Rosic
08-03-2004, 05:00 PM
Guys... I most likely won't be able to participate (painting wise) this month. I just can't seem to catch up between family/work/upcoming art-show... I feel so much like a shirker. :crying: Do you guys still love me? :(
Bernie

Looking good Dianne!

WV.Artistry
08-03-2004, 06:08 PM
I've got an August 14th deadline . . so after that, maybe I can come in. But my character will be drinking Fra Angelica liqueor with me :)

Looking forward to seeing the w/i/p's and reading palette discusssions.

Richard

5thsister
08-03-2004, 08:15 PM

Here is the next phase. I'm going to be printing up a close up of his face today so I can do the detail there. Just a rough in-

Dianne

Now, THIS is a face worth painting!!! ;) I'll be following your MOM/WIP with much interest! Maybe, once school starts for my kids, I'll be able to free up some time to do this month's subject. I had such a good time with Cezanne that I'm eager to try another.

irish artist
08-04-2004, 05:35 AM
I'm begining to wonder if Hals had to ply his model with alot of grog during the modeling session. Just think, here's a man holding a glass of liquior and hes not going to drink a sip now and then?..............C'mon :D

I like the addition of the pipe in Pippin's hand, makes more sense than the hand -in-the-air pose that Hals has.

bjs0704
08-04-2004, 12:55 PM
Diane - Very Nicely Done! I love the fun loving mood of this!

Barb Solomon :cat:

RhiannonJ
08-04-2004, 03:49 PM

Dianne

Oh Dianne, I LOVE it!! It's Pippin!! And look, you've included his pipe!! ROFLMAO!! :D :p It's looking great!! Will definitely be following you on this one! ;) Don't forget his Elven brooch on his collar :D

Rhi

DLGardner
08-04-2004, 09:32 PM
O my goodness! I hadn't checked the responses of late and was getting really discouraged and was just about to give up on this.

I'm not satisfied with his pink face. Not at all Pippin like.

But you all helped alot with your encouraging words. Perhaps I will work on it some more.
Thanks
Dianne

ripper4
08-04-2004, 09:58 PM
Nice job with the Bio Dr Evil.

Sorry to have to sit this one out and play the part of "Harsh Critic"
I was barely able to finish my Thayer before it lost its sticky. (4 days late)

Pippin is looking very merry Dianne!

Cheers,
Don

dcorc
08-04-2004, 10:22 PM
Dianne - no need to get discouraged! It's coming along nicely - you are just doing what I did last month, racing ahead (I felt a bit lonely then too ! :) )

I'm up to my neck in stuff at the moment, both on- and offline, so all I've been able to do so far is tone a board with a dirty mix of titanium white, lamp black, yellow ochre and burnt sienna. Might get a chance to start the actual painting tomorrow perhaps

Don - thanks! :)

Dave

DLGardner
08-05-2004, 12:43 AM
Barb, Rhi, Dave, Don thanks.
Yes, Dave-its a mite lonely here. But I know once you all start painting you'll leave me in the dust.

I'm thinking I'll do a glaze tomorrow and take some of the flush out of his face. -Deepen some of the shadows, and make that pipe pop out. His left arm is a bit skewed also and I had a little bit of a hard time trying to see how Hals has that right arm coming up. I think I'll have to sink the shoulder blade back and give it more depth and get rid of the space inbetween his chest and forearm to make it correct.
I'm sorry I didn't get the whole canvas in when I took the photo. I'll snap another one tomorrow.

Dianne

DLGardner
08-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Hi everyone! I am hoping the absence of posts means you are all engaging in artistic activities, of which I am presupposing that Master of the Month is a major priority!?

Alas, as it were I am quite finished. I am including a photo here of M'lord Peregrin Took in his fancies. I regret to say Rhi, that the chap dutifully sent his brooch to the Valinor as a keepsake for his faithful friends, the elves-that they might remember him. Regrettably they refused the pouch of pipeweed he had offered in their parting-Longbottom Leaf more precisely, the jewel of Hobbiton. I suppose they knew he had better use of such.

In any case, I bid you all a fond farewell! I'm otta here.
Cheers!

Dianne
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2004/8002-Pip6.jpg

RhiannonJ
08-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Hi everyone! I am hoping the absence of posts means you are all engaging in artistic activities, of which I am presupposing that Master of the Month is a major priority!?

Alas, as it were I am quite finished. I am including a photo here of M'lord Peregrin Took in his fancies. I regret to say Rhi, that the chap dutifully sent his brooch to the Valinor as a keepsake for his faithful friends, the elves-that they might remember him. Regrettably they refused the pouch of pipeweed he had offered in their parting-Longbottom Leaf more precisely, the jewel of Hobbiton. I suppose they knew he had better use of such.

In any case, I bid you all a fond farewell! I'm otta here.
Cheers!

Dianne
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2004/8002-Pip6.jpg

Excellent job, Dianne! I can't believe how quickly you did this! If Gandolf were still around you know HE wouldn't have refused the pipeweed, as he was quite fond of the stuff, and the halflings as well for that matter. :D He would've enjoyed seeing Pippin decked out like this in all his fineries.

Rhi

DLGardner
08-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Excellent job, Dianne! I can't believe how quickly you did this! If Gandolf were still around you know HE wouldn't have refused the pipeweed, as he was quite fond of the stuff, and the halflings as well for that matter. He would've enjoyed seeing Pippin decked out like this in all his fineries.

Something tells me Gandalf will be back! ;)

Yokovich
08-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Dianne! this is wonderful!! what a beautiful array of warmth! great expression and those glowing gold colors--shazam!! but I do have a query--I am about to start on this but I thought we were supposed to do the one listed as the MOM--did you do a different fellow but with some of the same characteristics?
I am confused...there is no pipe in the other version--did I miss something?
It's a super painting!

dcorc
08-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Dianne - well done! :clap:

But an oil painting's supposed to take months, you know! :D - between this supersonic-Hals, and my own high-speed-Thayer last month, we've let the cat out of the bag - the coloured-pencil people, (like Arlene) will be claiming that theirs is the premiere medium now, as they really do take ages! :p

Dave

DLGardner
08-05-2004, 07:26 PM
Celestia,
Dianne! this is wonderful!! what a beautiful array of warmth! great expression and those glowing gold colors--shazam!! but I do have a query--I am about to start on this but I thought we were supposed to do the one listed as the MOM--did you do a different fellow but with some of the same characteristics?
Thank you first off for your kind comments.
We had a conversation about this particular painting in the Frans Hals thread last month. A lot of the ladies were saying they didn't want to do it because some people just didn't like the guy's face, sorry to be so blunt. :) So I suggested that perhaps we could superimpose another one's face onto the painting and do that instead. Dave (our guide friend) explained that this was also a custom, to use another portrait in the style and clothing of a master, for various reasons that you might have. So I chose Pippin and Dave helped me put a jpg together of both the painting and the photo I had. (I tried but I'm not real good at photo shop). So I attempted to use the same 4 color palette of Hals-except I didn't have venetian red or black so I used sepia and Napthol red instead. His clothing is the same (or as best as I could do. I suppose I could work on the lace some but I'm tired of this and want to move on -perhaps I'll go back over it before the month is over) and I attempted to mimic the background as much as possible. I slipped in the pipe for character's sake. Hals has his fellow just kind of waving.

Hope this helps.
Dianne

You are welcome to do the same, or go with Hals Merry Drinker. Whatever you want.

DLGardner
08-05-2004, 07:31 PM
But an oil painting's supposed to take months, you know! - between this supersonic-Hals, and my own high-speed-Thayer last month, we've let the cat out of the bag - the coloured-pencil people, (like Arlene) will be claiming that theirs is the premiere medium now, as they really do take ages

Oh sticklebats
lol you are too funny.

This is just the underpainting.

Dianne

dcorc
08-05-2004, 07:31 PM
Dianne and Rhi have got a special dispensation to do Pippin from LOTR (because they asked nicely :) ) but I'd like to strongly encourage everyone else to stick to doing as close a copy of the Hals portrait as they can! (Though I've got a funny feeling we're going to end up with the whole male cast of LOTR :rolleyes: )

(and we are not having "House of Elrond" instead of Hopper's “House by the railroad” next month :rolleyes: :D )

Dave

DLGardner
08-05-2004, 07:35 PM
(and we are not having "House of Elrond" instead of Hopper's “House by the railroad” next month )

Whaaat? No way-! :confused: :(

5thsister
08-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Oh Dianne! What a delightful painting!!!

DLGardner
08-05-2004, 07:53 PM
Oh Dianne! What a delightful painting!
Thank you very much.

But an oil painting's supposed to take months, you know!
I will begin blocking in the shadows next week sometime.

Dianne

dcorc
08-05-2004, 08:18 PM
I see all this Tolkein is hobbit-forming - I know when I'm beaten - for December instead of Cassett's "child in a straw hat"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2004/30792-cassattcsmall.jpg

here's "Gimli in a straw hat"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2004/30792-gimli.jpg

Dave

irish artist
08-05-2004, 08:23 PM
:music: :music: dah--dah---OH--DAH :music: Ladies and Gentlemen.......Presenting.....the underpainting start of...... :music: dah---dah---bop Mr. Frans Hals "The Merry Drinker"

dcorc
08-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Great start there, Irish artist ! :clap:

Dave

Yokovich
08-05-2004, 08:43 PM
Dianne! thanks alot for the explanation--yes it does help!!
Dave I love your man in a straw hat--! (did you happen to see my cat in a scarf from last "WDE"? lol, I got pretty ennured to the red scarf after seeing it a hundred times.)
irishartist--sublime underpainting!!
I am starting on this MOM on Sunday---wish me luck!
Dianne your "new" guy in the old guys clothes is remarkable!
only dcorc could get this (if he does):

DLGardner
08-05-2004, 09:48 PM
I see all this Tolkein is hobbit-forming - I know when I'm beaten - for December instead of Cassett's "child in a straw hat"

Dave
Be careful what you wish for Dave. :evil:
Dianne :angel:

DLGardner
08-05-2004, 09:53 PM
Looking good Irish artist! I'll be watching your progress.

Here's luck your way Celestia, I'm sure you will do great.

Dianne

RhiannonJ
08-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Dianne and Rhi have got a special dispensation to do Pippin from LOTR (because they asked nicely :) ) but I'd like to strongly encourage everyone else to stick to doing as close a copy of the Hals portrait as they can! (Though I've got a funny feeling we're going to end up with the whole male cast of LOTR :rolleyes: )

Nope, not me doing this month's MOM. I'm not a portrait artist but if I were, I'd probably drop in Gandolf's image. :D

(and we are not having "House of Elrond" instead of Hopper's “House by the railroad” next month :rolleyes: :D )

Dave

Awww... c'mon Dave, you're no fun. Even the windows in Hopper's painting resemble Eldrond's house in Rivendell somewhat. :D

RhiannonJ
08-06-2004, 10:25 AM

Dave

That is TOO funny!! Almost fell offa my chair when I saw that! :D Dave, I think you have WAAYY too much time on your hands. :evil: :D

Rhi :angel:

RhiannonJ
08-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Great start Irish! I'll be following you on this one. :clap:

Rhi

RhiannonJ
08-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Dave, as long as we're talking a LOTR theme for the rest of the MOMs, how 'bout this one for L’Amour et Psyche enfants. :evil: :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2004/32418-LAmour_et_Psyche_enfantsR.jpg

And they lived happily ever after in the Grey Havens. :clap:

Carey Griffel
08-06-2004, 11:29 AM
ROFLOL....OHMYGAWSH, yous guyz are tooo funny!! Rhi, I *really* cracked up with that one!!

Dianne....yours is sooo awesome!! That is just too cool. I'm not planning on doing this one...but your Pippin is just so priceless that I'm reconsidering!

Irisheyes...yours, too, is coming along splendidly. Even if I don't participate, I'm going to love to watch everyone else.

We'll see how my month goes...I never can tell. I may just participate yet, thanks to Dianne. :evil: :angel: :p

Thanks for showing us your work, all! This is too fun. :)

~!Carey

DLGardner
08-06-2004, 11:35 AM
O Rhi! How could you uncover them!

lol too funny. This thread has lost its seriousness. Someone bring us back. :D

RhiannonJ
08-06-2004, 11:45 AM
He-he-he!! :D I just couldn't resist! The temptation got the best of me! :D

Rhi

<running out the back door before Dave comes back and ties me down to a chair to paint this month's MOM>

Squib
08-06-2004, 01:46 PM
You lot are having so much fun, I just can't keep away from this thread - so decided to join in. Here is my contribution. Still a long way to go. I started him last night, went far too heavy of course - so gave him a jolly good tonking, and tried again for an hour this afternoon. I am sticking to the colours thought to be in the original palette, except for lead white. I can't get any. I tried every art supply shop within miles yesterday, but no-one is selling lead white ! So I'm using zinc white instead. Faces are my worst thing, so I am finding this difficult. But what the heck !

I'll let him dry tonight and do some more work on him tomorrow - and try not to get carried away. I didn't want to rush this, but I've rushed it already. Keen !!!! :)

DLGardner
08-06-2004, 02:17 PM
You lot are having so much fun, I just can't keep away from this thread - so decided to join in. Here is my contribution. Still a long way to go. I started him last night, went far too heavy of course - so gave him a jolly good tonking, and tried again for an hour this afternoon. I am sticking to the colours thought to be in the original palette, except for lead white. I can't get any. I tried every art supply shop within miles yesterday, but no-one is selling lead white ! So I'm using zinc white instead. Faces are my worst thing, so I am finding this difficult. But what the heck !

I'll let him dry tonight and do some more work on him tomorrow - and try not to get carried away. I didn't want to rush this, but I've rushed it already. Keen !!!! :)
What a wonderful start Lorraine! Welcome. We are so glad to have someone who is willing to do the original assignment :D You and Irish Artist get four stars for abiding to the rules!!!

Dianne

artbabe21
08-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Geeeeeeesh! While I have been off....this has turned into the jolliest thread in the forum! :) Dianne, excellent & I love the much improved face!:)

You're all having way too much fun & that's the way it should be!! :)

welcome Squib to the project & the oil forum...) I like what you have done so far, great start in an afternoon I'd say! :D

irish artist
08-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Artbabe, its the jolliest thread ever! I didn't think it would be this fun, thought it would be more serious, but this is better--all the different ideas about adding faces to the masterworks---LOL. It's a great way to make this stuff REAL.

About the four stars from d garden, I just want to try an Old Master-its one of the requirements for graduation for my Art School and I thought I'd start. The project has to viewed and approved by the board of instructors so this painting may not meet requirements but its good practice.

artbabe21
08-06-2004, 09:29 PM
, I just want to try an Old Master-its one of the requirements for graduation for my Art School and I thought I'd start. The project has to viewed and approved by the board of instructors so this painting may not meet requirements but its good practice.

You might want to look at some of the previous MOMs in the sub forum at the top of the forum if you want to choose another to do for your class...:) People finished that Cezanne in record time!! Have fun!

irish artist
08-06-2004, 09:48 PM
Artbabe, good idea, might try that. School resumes in September and next year I have to start the Masters project. If I do a few MOMs I'll have some practice under my belt. Right now I'm going through the levels, I have to learn to paint one way before the instructor lets me move up to the next hardest training. All told it will be seven more years before I'm close to graduation :(

dcorc
08-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Artbabe, good idea, might try that. School resumes in September and next year I have to start the Masters project. If I do a few MOMs I'll have some practice under my belt. Right now I'm going through the levels, I have to learn to paint one way before the instructor lets me move up to the next hardest training. All told it will be seven more years before I'm close to graduation :(

:eek: Medical School's faster than that! (here in UK)

Dave

irish artist
08-06-2004, 10:21 PM
I have to earn my way through, that's why so slow. An Apprenticeship was offered to me, with an experienced, award-winning artist but the cost was too high plus I'd be unable to find enough time to attend all the painting sessions because I'm working also. Can't starve and no scholarship.......so...better this way than not at all. The best thing about this is I can go to several different instructors, choose my classes rather than be with the same artist all the time. All of the instructors here have Masters degrees, constantly go to expensive workshops to keep up-to-date, ect. It's a very good school, well worth it.

bjs0704
08-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Irish Artist - You have him looking great! His face is really well done.

Squib - Good Start! His shirt and his hands look wonderful! The hat and the background also look good!

guillot
08-07-2004, 10:04 PM
OK - I'm going to give my spin (actually someone elses) on the palette suggestions - only from another "suggested palette source" " "How to Paint Like the Old Masters" by Joseph Sheppard, giving this author full credit, but for our educational purposes - sharing.

Looking back to the beginning of this thread it was mentioned "black, white, venetian red, and light ochre." Umber background most likely being lead white, yo, and black.

The book mentioned above has a chapter on the techniques of Hals (of course the authors discretion on these "techniques" - but some valid thoughts anyway.) I'm going to try to get started on this one tonight.

Most of Hals works were painted alla prima - bold strokes. "He realized that the viewer's eye travels toward the highlight, so Hals would leave great areas of shadow flat, allowing the viewer's mind to fill in the form. He was a Master of simplification and suggestion."

Supposedly he painted mostly with shades of gray. This most interesting "He saw the shadows of the flesh as grayish, usually painting them in opaque color, and he achieved sparkle in his flesh tones by placing strong, warm highlights over a cool, gray middle-tone that covered his canvas. He saved his contrast in transparent and translucent areas for the clothes and background."

Some beeswax medium may come into play from the book I've read, along with the standard medium of a mixture of linseed oil, white lead pigment or paste, turpentine and mastic tears. But I'm not going to go there and get that complicated. I will use a mixture of linseed and turp, and beeswax (gives me a reason to play with the stuff :D )

Colors recommended (from the above mentioned text) for Hals standard palette with today's colors are:
White Lead (flake white)
Yellow ochre light
French vermilion light
Alizarin crimson
burnt umber
ivory black

On a gray middletone - neither dark nor light - maybe value 5?

Probable working sequence per the text:
1. block in portrait roughly in a warm tone.
2. paint in light middletones and the gray shadows (opaque but not heavy, working until correct - keeping light low key)
3. paint in higher lights and darker shadow "accents" (accent's often dark gray or black) Then he would "blend the portrait with a dry brush, carefully modeling the form".
4. next, carefully laid out broad strokes - "great slashes of paint" - applying the highlights and shadow accents, leaving them unblended to give an unlabored look.
5. If a second sitting was necessary, supposedly he would start off with a velatura middletone for the flesh, applied over an "already dry flesh tone.....mixing the grayish flesh tone with mediums allowing the underpainting to show through. he would then move back to the first sitting steps - applying paint into the velaturas with opaque color."

Now of course, the example in the book is of a different subject - but the colors are so much the same in the outcome - why I wanted to share this info.

Interesting stuff !!!!

This is what I will try for my version. However - there's no way I can move like Hals did, LOL

So good to be back at it :D ;) And, I hope that this helps to give another spin on how to work it.

Tina

irish artist
08-08-2004, 08:58 AM
Good thing you posted that information, I've begun to struggle with his face. Trying to paint it with just the palette colors, no blues, no purples????? Oh OK, so he would use black and grays on the flesh????? Boy that's going to be challenging :(

guillot
08-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Hi IrishArtist - Maybe not too challenging :) - would be kind of like a grisaille I'm thinking maybe a bit higher keyed though. We did a similar technique with the Carravagio MOM activity "Bacchus" with the flesh tones. Maybe the same principle, just maybe an extreme shift in values here and there. Maybe not so blended and refined and/or labored over.

Doesn't mean that you can't get there from a different route :)

Regards,
Tina

bjs0704
08-08-2004, 06:30 PM
There should be many similarities between Hals painting and Caravaggio. In the GroveArt article one of the things that was stressed about Hals was the Caravaggio influence. But Hals work was different because it was more alla prima.

irish artist
08-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Grisaille technique? Will try that. I had his face all blocked in with a gray underpainting but when I put color over it the gray showed through and I was convinced that I did it wrong and wiped it all off and now I'm back to square one. So I had it right the first time, he used gray and black. Brother.
I even went to the local libruary to look for a book with a photo in it of the one we're painting so I wouldn't have to turn on the computer when I paint-very distracting-no deal, only the "Laughing Cavalier" and some woman painting was shown, so I'm going to rely on the thread posted pic. I'll post another progress photo Tuesday and you folks can comment all you want-I'm very thick skinned here :D

irish artist
08-10-2004, 06:28 PM
first color coat for the "Merry Drinker"--You can see I struggled with the face.

Carey Griffel
08-10-2004, 07:55 PM
This is great! Even if I don't get to this one this month, it's educational just watching the rest of you and reading your thoughts. Thanks sooo much for sharing that great info, Tina. Interesting stuff, indeed.

It's great seeing your progress, as well, irish artist! You're doing great. :)

~!Carey

dcorc
08-10-2004, 08:11 PM
You are making good progress with this, Irish Artist!

Lots of good discussion here on this. Hoping to get more takers for this month though, perhaps we should have chosen the Laughing Cavalier instead, as he looks less dissolute (but have you seen that sleeve?!)

I'll be having a go at this MOM myself, starting next week.

Dave

irish artist
08-10-2004, 08:24 PM
perhaps we should have chosen the Laughing Cavalier instead, as he looks less dissolute (but have you seen that sleeve?!)

Dave

Yep, When I was at the library looking for a photo, I saw the Laughing Cavalier and the *shudder*black and white sleeve. Glad I'm not painting that.

Carey Griffel
08-10-2004, 09:19 PM
perhaps we should have chosen the Laughing Cavalier instead

Lol...at first, I read that as "the Laughing Cadaver" :eek: :p :D

~!Carey

bjs0704
08-11-2004, 11:13 AM
Irish Artist - You have done a really good job! There may be some adjustments that some would want in the skin tones. But overall, it looks so good!

I am working on this MOM. My painting is still at the charcoal drawing stage. I am finding that I am having to take my time while drawing the hands. I hope that I will be able to eventually get this far enough along to post it.

I am also going to be trying the painting method described in Joseph Sheppard’s "How to Paint Like the Old Masters". I may even have the medium that he describes. I haven’t yet decided whether I am going to use the palette Dave has described or the one Joe Sheppard has suggested.

guillot
08-11-2004, 01:44 PM
I am also going to be trying the painting method described in Joseph Sheppard’s "How to Paint Like the Old Masters". I may even have the medium that he describes. I haven’t yet decided whether I am going to use the palette Dave has described or the one Joe Sheppard has suggested.

Oh good Barb :) !! Glad I'm not alone ;) Of course with me, nothing ever goes as planned - too many things keep getting in my way. But will hopefully have free time in a couple of days to get going with it.

Tina

irish artist
08-12-2004, 05:37 AM
Barb, What's the alternate palette and what is in the medium you are talking about? I haven't seen "Painting Like the Masters". :confused:

I spent the night putting in the white details, modeling the collar with alla prima strokes of white, and the lace on the wrists, white highlights on the glass. I put a more solid flesh tone on the face and when it dries I'll put in the modeling touches and the alle prima strokes. I put in the second color layer on the hat and background. I should be done by the end of the month and ready to start September's MOM......Whew :eek:

bjs0704
08-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Joseph Sheppard’s "How to Paint Like the Old Masters" is a book about painting using techniques of the old masters. He shows a step by step demonstration of several old masters - Titian, Caravaggio and Rubens. As Tina said earlier, he has a chapter on Hals.

As Tina said above, Sheppard suggests a palette of the following colors for Hals:

White Lead (flake white)
Yellow ochre light
French vermilion light
Alizarin crimson
burnt umber
ivory black

He is good if you want to learn about general techniques and procedures in painting, but I have heard many very knowlegable people on this site question his choice of medium. He uses maroger’s medium, black oil and mastic. Some people say that these things are not archival.

He suggests that Hals used two mediums a beeswax and linseed oil medium and Sheppard’s “basic” medium that has white lead pigment.

I am not going to use Sheppard’s basic medium. I have another medium that I have been using. I also have W & N’s opal medium. When I read the ingredients of Opal medium, I find that it seem to be a simple medium with a bit of beewax in it. So I am going to use that.

Well, at least with Hurricane Bonnie, I have plenty of at-home time to finish up with the initial part!

guillot
08-14-2004, 12:55 AM
Woo Hoo!!

Ok getting a start. I chose a 20x24 canvas instead.

To make the warm gray toned canvas I mixed white lead, ivory black and some burnt umber. Had to let that dry well before I could proceed. Took a couple of days (cheated and used a little bit of copal) :evil:

So, tonight it was dry.

I've worked on this fairly quickly getting the positioning, proportions, etc. real rough with burnt umber, ivory black and some medium.

So, this is where I'm at; let me know what ya think so far. I think I'm ready to get down to the nitty gritty. :D

Irish Artist - great going so far !! How's it coming along?
Squib - welcome to the activity!! How is yours coming along too?

Dianne - :D Love the Pippin !!!

Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2004/5957-Beginning1.jpg

guillot
08-14-2004, 02:32 AM
Another update - guess I'm painting alone tonight :angel:

Background color is still off - thinking I'm hitting it dead on with the hat, hair, facial shadows - have an OK feeling about it so far. Think I'll come back and glaze the background maybe with a weak transparent blue to get a nice greenish kinda color - wiping along the way.

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS/GALS DOIN? :)

Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2004/5957-Beginning2A1.jpg

guillot
08-14-2004, 03:29 AM
OK - well at least you guys can check my time line, right? LOL

Here's another update - My colors are off a bit - thinking of a final glaze to "bring it together" - maybe not in the spirit of Hals, but Hey - we're a bit more modern, right? I have learned so much from these activities - I'm sailing away with his one - have learned to really "see" - to "analyze" the technique : the why's (yep whysis) - the "how'd ya do that", The COLOR that's not coming out right for me.

I'm looking forward to the "final strokes" that Hals is famous for. The one's that bring an unlabored appearance. Carefully placed final strokes.

I absolutely KNOW for SURE that I'm just here alone tonight ... :( But I'm taking advantage of the time that I do have....

Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2004/5957-Beginning32.jpg

dcorc
08-14-2004, 06:45 AM
Doing a bit of catching up here, so I'm working forward in the thread - first - for celestia - how about "The Laughing Catalier" ?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2004/30792-LaughingCatalier.jpg

- complete with ginger "whiskers" :D

or "Portrait of a woman with a new red silk scarf"? :p

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2004/30792-scarfwoman.jpg

Dave

irish artist
08-14-2004, 07:00 AM
Tina, its sure hard to fit everything in there, right? The hands, the hat, getting the face just right. I'm on my third coat of color and am working more on the likeness, fine tuning. I may just concentrate on the face because we only have two more weeks.

Dave, once again, I'm glad we're not doing the black and white sleeve on the Cat-Man. LOL

dcorc
08-14-2004, 07:12 AM
or how about the ruff on the woman - see above again :p

(the fun one can have with a couple of images, photoshop, and 10 mins to spare! - back to oil painting! :p )

Dave

dcorc
08-14-2004, 08:39 AM
Dave, as long as we're talking a LOTR theme for the rest of the MOMs, how 'bout this one for L’Amour et Psyche enfants. :evil: :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2004/32418-LAmour_et_Psyche_enfantsR.jpg

And they lived happily ever after in the Grey Havens. :clap:

Rhi - you missed the obvious one :evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2004/30792-gollumkiss.jpg

:eek:

:D Dave

dcorc
08-14-2004, 09:17 AM
Tina great work there - very effective initial sketch, and good development - seems like we might all be doing this one individually, the way the times are working out - though I'm hoping to have a go at starting mine this weekend.

Dave

RhiannonJ
08-14-2004, 10:23 AM
Rhi - you missed the obvious one :evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2004/30792-gollumkiss.jpg

:eek:

OhmyGOSH!!! Gollum has been cloned!!! :eek: :p :D

Rhi

guillot
08-14-2004, 01:11 PM
Tina, its sure hard to fit everything in there, right? The hands, the hat, getting the face just right. I'm on my third coat of color and am working more on the likeness, fine tuning. I may just concentrate on the face because we only have two more weeks.

Hi irish artist. Yes, there are a lot of finer details going on in the end especially. He supposedly would lightly blend after he had everything on the canvas like he wanted - then he would come back with the fresh, looser strokes - lot's of diagonals in this one here and there - but anyway that is where he would spend the bulk of his painting time - in the final stages with carefully placed strokes. :)

Tina great work there - very effective initial sketch, and good development - seems like we might all be doing this one individually, the way the times are working out - though I'm hoping to have a go at starting mine this weekend.
Dave

Thanks Dave. :) I'm hoping to get close to the finish line with this one this weekend but you never now what's going to pop up around here - always something !!!

I tried to get a better pic from outside (kinda overcast today - had a wicked storm last night !!!) it's a bit glarish but I think it's a bit better:

Thanks everyone,
Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2004/5957-TTP.jpg

bjs0704
08-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Here is my version! As I said earlier, I am following the procedure in Shepperd’s book. He starts out toning the canvas with a mixture of Burnt Umber, Ivory Black and Flake While plus medium. Since I had already drawn my outline in charcoal and then drawn over it with Burnt Sienna, I just toned in-between whatever I had already drawn out. I used mineral spirits to thin the paint mixture for toning.

I will go on to the next step after this layer dries. His next step is to use the burnt umber mixture to tone the shadows of the face and neck. And lay in the skin tones of the face with yellow ochre, white, ivory black and red.

Tina - Your is looking SO GOOD! It is really going along! :clap: :clap: :clap:

We really didn’t have trouble with Hurricane Bonnie, but the rain didn’t help my connections online.

Your not alone on this one! I’m trying hard to catch up with you!

Dave - LOL!!!! These are really too funny! I think that I particularly like “Golums In Love”. :clap: :clap: :clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2004/11410-mydrinker.jpg

Carey Griffel
08-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Woo-hoo! Way to go, Tina and Barb!! This is wonderful, seeing your renditions! Tina, you did a great job with the initial drawing...not to mention the stages since! ;) :p And Barb, thanks for the commentary, as well! Extremely informative.

Keep it up! I am looking forward to seeing much more!!

And Dave? Come ON, Dave!! Sheesh, just cuz you did LAST month's so fast doesn't give you the leave to take your time THIS month!! ;) :p :evil: :angel:

~!Carey

dcorc
08-14-2004, 06:21 PM
Woo-hoo! Way to go, Tina and Barb!! This is wonderful, seeing your renditions! Tina, you did a great job with the initial drawing...not to mention the stages since! ;) :p And Barb, thanks for the commentary, as well! Extremely informative.

Keep it up! I am looking forward to seeing much more!!

And Dave? Come ON, Dave!! Sheesh, just cuz you did LAST month's so fast doesn't give you the leave to take your time THIS month!! ;) :p :evil: :angel:

~!Carey

Tina, Barb - good going!

Carey - having cleared various other things I needed to do, and relaxed with a large glass of Bruichladdich (http://www.bruichladdich.com/typical_islay.htm), tomorrow (not tonight :p ) will be the day!

irish artist
08-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Hey Everyone, Dave's Procrassinating!! ;)

guillot
08-14-2004, 07:40 PM
He starts out toning the canvas with a mixture of Burnt Umber, Ivory Black and Flake While plus medium.

next step is to use the burnt umber mixture to tone the shadows of the face and neck. And lay in the skin tones of the face with yellow ochre, white, ivory black and red.

Yep, that's exactly how I began mine, and now I need to do the skin tones :eek:

I've been procrastinating myself today :)

Great going so far Barb !!!! :clap:

Thanks Barb, Dave, Carey and all !!

Tina

dcorc
08-14-2004, 08:10 PM
Hey Everyone, Dave's Procrassinating!! ;)

That's fighting talk!!

:p

Tomorrow!

Dave

bjs0704
08-15-2004, 12:28 AM
Here’s how it looks right now! It is definitely in one of those ugly duckling moments. I have started adding skin tones. I will probably do a second coat tomorrow.I will go over the light areas and the then check the darks.

I decided to make the background. I started out with yellow ochre and then added some raw sienna to darker areas to create a halo effect. I darkened this with a mixture of burnt umber and ivory black. In the lightest section, I added flake white to the yellow ochre. I took a very large dry brush and blended as I went.

My next step is suppose to be to do the eyebrows and the shadowed accents. A dark gray made from ivory black and flake white is recommended. I should also add the accents in red ochre to the cheeks, nose, lips and chin. These will be blended into the skin tones.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/11410-mydrinker2.jpg

irish artist
08-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Exhausted! Spent most of the night and morning on the Merry Drinker. Mr. Frans Hals has my grudging admiration-what a painter! Started to come closer to the orginial colors but the face is blotchy-needs more work. I'm going to complete the face, add detail to the clothing this coming week and even out the background. I still feel I'll be done by end of the month.

guillot
08-15-2004, 04:18 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Excellent Irish Artist !!! Love the coloring in your work. You've done a LOT to it last night, didn't you? :) I haven't picked mine back up. Had to take the girls for the rest of their school stuff but plan on working on mine some more in a little while.

Barb !!! Your's is coming along well too. You're probably going to pass me up!! ;)

Squib? Were are ya?

Tina

dcorc
08-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Hi all !

20 x 16 ins board, previously toned with a mix of titanium white, lamp black, yellow ochre and burnt sienna.

charcoal sketch, then initial block-in - colours:

titanium white
ivory black
yellow ochre
vermilion hue (toluidine red)
burnt umber

about 2 hours so far.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/30792-dcmd1.jpg

Dave

dcorc
08-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Irish artist - well done! coming along splendidly.

Barb - good start - I know Sheppard does the face first in the book - but I'd suggest that as the tonality of this painting is so "tight", that it may make more sense to work up the costume at the same time, as it will help you judge your values as you go then :)

Tina, Squib - how's it going?

Carey, Celestia - you joining in?

anybody else? :)

Dave

guillot
08-15-2004, 07:30 PM
know Sheppard does the face first in the book - but I'd suggest that as the tonality of this painting is so "tight", that it may make more sense to work up the costume at the same time, as it will help you judge your values as you go then

I worked on it all at the same time. I moved back and forth from the face to the clothes but still have to lay in the main colors in the face and work on the clothes some more. I've been last minute school shopping for the girls all day, BOY - is that fun!!!! Especially with a moody teenager. :D

Looking great Dave !! :)

Tina

irish artist
08-15-2004, 07:52 PM
I worked on it all at the same time. I moved back and forth from the face to the clothes but still have to lay in the main colors in the face and work on the clothes some more.

Tina

I too had to develope the whole painting rather than just doing the face first and then moving on. For one thing you can let the face area dry some while you spend time on the background and clothes. The white collar was something else and had to look like it had a neck underneath. This whole project has been an eye-opener because the Masters had no examples to go by, had to learn to paint on their own, if not as an apprentice.

guillot
08-15-2004, 08:00 PM
I too had to develope the whole painting rather than just doing the face first and then moving on. For one thing you can let the face area dry some while you spend time on the background and clothes. The white collar was something else and had to look like it had a neck underneath. This whole project has been an eye-opener because the Masters had no examples to go by, had to learn to paint on their own, if not as an apprentice.

Well, I certainly began on my own and have only taken one portraiture class, But I can honestly say that I'm an apprentice of Wetcanvas, LOL. I've learned so much from doing these activities, and from the wealth of knowledge everyone selfishly shares here.

And I'm still following the book as closely as possible - I too had to get a "whole view" first though ;)

Tina

guillot
08-15-2004, 09:29 PM
OK, you've all inspired me to keep going:

Here's a real yuk yuk

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/5957-Face2.jpg

Looks kinda dead at this point, but them came in with the reds:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/5957-Face1.jpg

His mouth is something to desire, LOL

OK - back to the brush.

Thanks,
Tina

guillot
08-15-2004, 10:06 PM
OK did a little bit more work - here's a closeup of his face - still going to have to come back though - not happy with it just yet.

This is all real quick - loose stuff - Still have to do the facial hair too :)

Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/5957-Facecloseup1.jpg

dcorc
08-17-2004, 07:41 AM
Second stage - about another hour at this point - a lot of these strokes are put down, and then pushed back and forth a bit with a dry bristle brush - not quite so much "make a mark and leave it" as I was expecting.

The likeness is not good at the moment :( I'll try and fix that in the next session. Facial hair, and correction of shadows and highlights might help (I hope)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2004/30792-dcmd2.jpg

Dave

DLGardner
08-17-2004, 10:17 AM
August 18 and we are well on our way alast!

Barb, you are doing great with this! Its coming along quite nice! Love the whiskey glass! Good job. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Irish Artist, you are coming along quite well also. You've got the velvet of his cloak and the face is really taking shape. Nice. :clap: :clap: :clap: (I remember you said you like the clappy guy)

Dave! Who is that? He looks familiar. Wasn't he in Top Gun or something? :D
Seriously, nice colors, nice expression. lol, "nice hat!" Can't wait to see him finished. (here's one for you too. :clap: )-just teasing.

Tina, definite resemblence here. I like how you are working his shadows in and all. Its coming along fantastic. :clap: :clap:

Good job everyone!!

Dianne

dcorc
08-17-2004, 07:11 PM
Here's the next stage - about another hour, reworking the face, mainly

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2004/30792-dcmd3.jpg

Dianne - it's less "top gun", and more "top gin", I hope, by this point :p

Dave

irish artist
08-17-2004, 07:19 PM
tee heee, :D Not so easy-uh? Its the face modeling, the hair, ect-very hard. Of course, I'm not bragging, my guy looks like he has one bulging eye and a snear...........LOL I feel lots better, watching the rest of you struggling. :evil:

guillot
08-17-2004, 11:41 PM
Thanks Dianne ! :D

Looking great Dave!!!!

IrishArtist - where are you with yours??

Just another update for me. Narrowed the face a tad, worked on some of the clothes, etc. Bad shot - nite shot but gives you a general idea nonetheless.

Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2004/5957-Tues1.jpg

irish artist
08-18-2004, 05:44 AM
Great Going Tina, :clap: I can see you have problems with his hand "waving" in the air. I'm working on the face, trying to even it out, then I can put in the alla prima touches. We're having four days of rain in Michigan, so should get alot done in the next few days. This was so fun that I can't wait to start the 'House by the Railroad".

guillot
08-18-2004, 07:53 AM
Great Going Tina, :clap: I can see you have problems with his hand "waving" in the air.

Hi Irish Artist - No, haven't really touched the hand yet - what you see is still the rough sketch. I'm having problems developing the color that I'm after more than anything else but I'm working on it. I should've taken the time to make a small color chart before beginning - that would've helped tremendously. Glad you are having fun with this - that's what it's all about :)

Tina

dcorc
08-18-2004, 08:07 AM
Glad someone/anyone's having fun with this! :rolleyes:

I know I'm not :(

I really dislike this whole "make a mark and leave it" big daubs of paint approach with bristle brushes - it's like working with a mop instead of a scalpel :mad:

On a sufficiently large format it would be OK, but a 20x16ins, for this, it's just a pain!

GRRRrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Dave

irish artist
08-18-2004, 08:10 PM
Dave, I'm using a 27x36 Gallery Wrap and needing every inch. I had planned to do smaller sizes but I had this from a canceled portrait order and decided it was going to waste if I didn't go ahead and use it. You're right about size and if this was smaller I'd be frustrated too-so much detail and no room. I'm still working on the face but its starting to shape up now--no more snear and bulging eye--LOL

irish artist
08-18-2004, 08:27 PM
I'm having problems developing the color that I'm after more than anything else but I'm working on it. I should've taken the time to make a small color chart before beginning - that would've helped tremendously.

Tina

The biggest problem I ran into was the face color. I've stared at the reference until almost blind-went both ways-too light-too dark. Nothing worked. I finally pulled it all together tonight and the approach was simple-stick to matching the color as close as possible. I glazed with light yellow-wiped most of it off. Glazed with rose blend before the yellow dried. Went outside to get away from it and when I returned I forced myself to use really small brushes and concentrate on the eyes. When I finally returned to the face I liked the eyes so much that I didn't feel like fighting and the portrait went like a breeze. :cool:

DLGardner
08-19-2004, 12:52 AM
Glad someone/anyone's having fun with this!I know I'm not
Dave!
Perhaps you should have tried Pippin. Remember how jolly we all were then?

I really dislike this whole "make a mark and leave it" big daubs of paint approach with bristle brushes - it's like working with a mop instead of a scalpel

I'd like to see the process Dave. Perhaps you can do a WIP for us-show us your brushes and your technique. Sounds like it will lend itself well to the beard.

Chin up there matey! Let it dry some. You still have a couple of weeks left before venturing onto the next challenge. Hopper's House! And then you can pace the floor as I struggle. I can't draw a straight line!
:angel:

Dianne

guillot
08-19-2004, 06:17 PM
The biggest problem I ran into was the face color. I've stared at the reference until almost blind-went both ways-too light-too dark. Nothing worked. I finally pulled it all together tonight and the approach was simple-stick to matching the color as close as possible. I glazed with light yellow-wiped most of it off. Glazed with rose blend before the yellow dried. Went outside to get away from it and when I returned I forced myself to use really small brushes and concentrate on the eyes. When I finally returned to the face I liked the eyes so much that I didn't feel like fighting and the portrait went like a breeze. :cool:

Well ... let's see it then !!! :) I think I'm going to take the time to do a few color charts from this palette. I think the results may be interesting :)

Tina

irish artist
08-21-2004, 08:18 AM
Madame, at your request...........

Carey Griffel
08-21-2004, 04:42 PM
I've been enjoying watching everyone's progress from the sidelines. Sorry to hear of your frustration, Dave, but I really do think that yours is coming along very well! I have to say that I'm impressed with all of you who do these every month. I was half-hoping, at least, to join in, but I've gotten started on something of my own that's a bit of a monster compared to what I do normally, so if I broke away from that, I don't think I'd do a good job with this one, as my mind would be elsewhere.

But keep up the good work--and the updates, all! This is terrific!

~!Carey

instargalv
08-22-2004, 02:48 PM
This idea is great! Everyone is doing a bang up job. I'm a new member and just found this forum. I started my entry last night and I'll post my results this evening. I got the underpainting done last night - raw umber with medium and I'm putting on the color now. I'm trapped in my studio for a while because of a torrential rain storm, but when it lets up a bit, I take a photo and post.

a bientot

instargalv
08-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Following the lead of interchangeable heads at the beginning of the thread, I decided to paint the Merrydrinker with my roommate's head in place of the original. He's DEFINITELY a merrydrinker (or perhaps a happy drunk). Anywho, here's my entry. I'm finishing up the color now and will start to redefine the hands et al. Should be finished this evening. I've had a great time watching everyone's progress and look forward to next month's master painting.

irish artist
08-22-2004, 04:55 PM
That's wonderful! In just a few hours you say? You must have tons of experience. What size is it? :clap: Welcome aboard. The more the merrier.

irish artist
08-22-2004, 04:57 PM
Well ... let's see it then !!! :) I think I'm going to take the time to do a few color charts from this palette. I think the results may be interesting :)

Tina

Ahem,........*taps fingers, looks at watch*.............ahem, your turn to post :D

instargalv
08-22-2004, 06:00 PM
That's wonderful! In just a few hours you say? You must have tons of experience. What size is it? :clap: Welcome aboard. The more the merrier.

Thanks for the welcome! I've really enjoyed following along. My drinker is painted on a 16x20 canvas. It didn't take so long to paint because I used Liquin for the underpainting last night - so it was ready for color this afternoon.

I started painting again last year after a 25-year hiatus. I've learned so much from you guys at WetCanvas - it's like having a thousand teachers!

dcorc
08-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Welcome, instargaly - that's quite an entrance - Well done!

Looking forward to your final version

Dave

bjs0704
08-22-2004, 06:53 PM
Irish Artist - You have done very well with the face!:clap:

Dave -The skin tones are looking great! The lace on his collar and cuffs look wonderful too.

I took Dave’s advice on working everything together so that the color’s tonality looks right together. I decided to at block everything and then concentrate on sections. That way the colors stay fairly close together and yet I do have the time to concentrate on individual sections and give them the necessary attention.

Tina - It’s looking pretty good! Keep up the good work!

Diane - Thanks!

instargalv - Fantastic! It looks wonderful! You have really done well! :clap:

Thanks for joining it with our little group!:wave:

It seemed time to post an update. I have been distracted with other chores around the house.

I have really been enjoying doing this Merry fellow! I haven’t been using a totally alla prima approach where one doesn’t blend a stroke after its painted. To look at the painting, it seemed to me that the bottom layers were more blended and the top layers had the flashy brush marks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2004/11410-merrydrinker2.jpg

bjs0704
08-22-2004, 07:15 PM
instargalv - It is wonderful to hear that you have taken up painting after a 25 year break!

WetCanvas is like having a thousand teachers! It’s amazing how many technical questions about painting can be cleared up and I am also finding interesting ideas for things to try.

guillot
08-23-2004, 01:53 PM
IrishArtist!! Great job you've done there!!! Sorry for the delay - was side-tracked this weekend with a bunch of uninspiring stuff :( I like the color that you have managed in your painting.

instargalv - Great to have you on board!! Quick painting and great work. Look forward to having you work along with us some more.

Barb- Your painting is coming along nicely. I haven't touched mine over the weekend, but at least it will be dry and ready for a good layer of color :)

Love watching everyone's progress.

Dave - don't ya give up now !!

Tina

bjs0704
08-23-2004, 09:30 PM
I mostly worked on the face today! I haven’t decided whether to work on the hands or collar next!

Tina - I can’t wait to see how your is coming along! I know how it goes - I had to put off working on our thirsty friend for a couple of days too. But I have always loved these Dutch paintings. He is quite a character!

Dave - How is your painting coming along? :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2004/11410-mydrinker4.jpg

dcorc
08-23-2004, 10:17 PM
Barb - that's coming along very well! As you say, there is actually quite a bit of blending, at base, and then there are some broad flashy strokes on top

Thanks for encouragement, all - I haven't given up - did a little more a couple of nights ago - and as it was all rather flat, I've just scrubbed a very thin layer of 50/50 liquin/mineral spirit into it - the alkyd equivalent of oiling-out, so I'll have a further go at it tomorrow and take a photo in daylight. Before starting these MOMs, I'd always imagined this sort of painting - this, Zorn, perhaps Sargent - was done like sword-fencing, highly skilled but rapid and almost reflexive - but I now think of it more like a chess game, where each stroke is pondered and planned carefully - it's the appearence of spontaneity, rather than the actuality of it, I feel.

Dave

irish artist
08-24-2004, 05:45 AM
Dave, I found it easier to put in the "alla prima" touches if I wait until it is fairly dry, not easy to blend in. Blending in seems to lose the effect. You're right, he seems to have looked at the painting and added touches here and there, where ever he wanted them. I had use a blend of Liquin and mineral spirits also.

Diann

bjs0704
08-25-2004, 01:23 AM
It seems to me that I remember reading the Hals often had his apprentices work on many of the paintings and he would them add final touches of painting on the top layer. Looking at this, I can almost imagine which parts he would have done.

Of course, there are painting that he did totally on his own.

I like the chess game analogy! It seems very appropriate.

instargalv
08-25-2004, 09:58 AM
Barely squeaking by at the end of the month - here's my final (except for an overall dark glaze on the background) Merry Drinker. We're not mentioning the hideous, backlit hand - sometimes you just gotta stop and move on. There's a reason why Hals paintings are in museums and mine are on my dining room wall :) I've had a great time working with you guys - it's been fun!

Barb & IrishArtist - thanks for the encouragement. I've enjoyed seeing how differently you each approached the project and achieved great results.

Dave - your skin colors and modeling are great. I bought Sheppard's "Painting Like the Masters" book yesterday. I'm going to try Caravaggio's "Amor Victorious" using his tecchniques. We'll see :-)

a bientot - Robert

PS: I thought his drink hand was resting on a table - I was almost finished when I realized it was his leg. That explains the VERY meaty thigh :-) Oh well, next time I'll use a proportional canvas.

irish artist
08-25-2004, 05:46 PM
I thought it was a table, you can see the reflection on it of the lace on the cuff :confused:

instargalv
08-25-2004, 07:10 PM
IrishArtist -- You're right, it is a table. Thanks!

bjs0704
08-25-2004, 11:11 PM
For those who like Sheppard's book, you may also want to look at Jose Parramon’s Big Book of Oil Painting. I found my copy at a second hand book store. The first chapter has a good section covering methods of Jan Van Eyck, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Titian, Rubens, Rembrandt and Velazquez.

The Caravaggio sounds like it would be fun to do. :cool:

instargalv- You have done a really good job! Thanks letting me see this painting is a new way! :clap: :clap:

bjs0704
08-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Here is an update on my progress. I have been working on his right hand arm, and cuff.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2004/11410-mydrinker5.jpg

irish artist
08-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Great Going there Barb, I like your face better than mine. I'm still glazing my face, still not satisified, probably never will be.

Watch the size of that right hand, looks a little small from here-boy, it changes your view when you post something in WC!. You think its looking OK and then you post and you're like-"why did I do that?"

Glad I met you in WC!, You're a terrific painter :clap: :clap:

bjs0704
08-26-2004, 11:38 PM
Irish Artist - Thanks for the lovely critique and encouragement!

That is a strange phenomena about posting on WC. I am surprised at the things that I notice when I post.

But with the one hand, I saw and kept telling myself that it was because that hand is farther away, but you are probably right it IS too small.

Well I may work on the body next. I am also starting to think about correcting the hand.

guillot
08-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Hi Barb - coming along nicely!!!!!!

I've definitely had my moments with this one :D

Well, I'm still chugging along with it. Worked on it some more today, here's what I've done to date:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2004/5957-EOM_update1.jpg

It's most likely a poor quality pic - I think I need a new dig camera ;) But, anyway - This one's been a toughie for me.

Everyone's doing great.

Tina

irish artist
08-29-2004, 07:04 PM
It is a poor-quality pic but I can see you are putting color in the face and the background behind the wine glass. You're far enough along to be able to whip this right to a finish, end it at the Labor Day Weekend. Congradulations!!

Hey, Bring on Hopper's House!!! We're Ready!!

dcorc
08-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Hi all!

an update here on mine - still got some stuff to do on it, but there's enough of a difference fom last time to make it worth showing, I think. (Plus a couple of details)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2004/30792-dcmd4.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2004/30792-medal.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2004/30792-hand.jpg

I note the way a lot of stuff is hatched, and the way that Hals just picks out the highlights on things and frequently paints only those - so trying to copy that. Also realising that a lot of the bravura brushwork is painted slowly - it looks fast, but that doesn't mean it's painted that way!

Dave

irish artist
08-29-2004, 08:13 PM
Way to go Dave! I'll bet you worked all weekend on your painting and now you're ready for the House too?? I like your details, yes, he didn't dash those hatchings off, I noticed that all the marks are different colors. :clap:

Carey Griffel
08-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Nearly the end of the month already and you guys are doing great! I've really enjoyed watching all of you at work here. Dave, that is *awesome* --thanks a lot for those close up shots...I *love* your detail on the watch pendant whatever it is thing.

Tina, your pic is a bit washed out, but I can definitely tell that you're super close; extremely good likeness of our wacky lush there. ;)

And Barb, I'm looking forward to another update from you, too. I like your process and the colors. This painting does seem to be a lot more colorful than I thought at first looking and you're capturing that wonderfully.

Above all, great job guys; I really admire all of you for tackling this. :clap:

~!Carey

Biki
08-31-2004, 05:50 AM
Dave, Les looks great.!! I have never seen him look so dapper. :D :D :D

seriously tho - i am indeed impressed with (especially) the detail of the adornments. :music:

dcorc
08-31-2004, 08:32 AM
instargalv/Robert - great job there on the final! Joining us for the Hopper too, I hope? Also - you know there was a Caravaggio (Bacchus) for Feb's MOM too - there's quite a bit of discussion of possible techniques there.

Barb - good work - I like the face particularly. That right hand is quite tricky, given the foreshortening and the masterful, loose way it's painted in the original.

Tina - looking good too - a better photo would be nice

irish artist/Diann, Carey - thanks for kind comments! trying here very much to concentrate on brushwork in this one - it's difficult trying to do that and getting the whole painting to "hold together". I am increasingly aware of the need to keep stepping back and viewing from a distance (the further the better, I think :p ), I begin to realise that having a large studio is not just a status symbol :)

Biki - My drunken reprobate here does bear some resemblance to Barry Humphries' much respected diplomat :p "Sir Les Patterson" - particularly his healthy complexion (must be all that good Australian sunshine :p ) - here are a couple of shots of the great man himself, for those who may not be familiar:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2004/30792-sirlesp1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2004/30792-sirlesp2.jpg

:D

(As an aside - did you know Barry Humphries paints? see here:
http://www.philipbacon.com.au/artists/BarryHumphries/extract.html
and here:
http://www.philipbacon.com.au/artists/BarryHumphries/works.html )

Dave

loop
08-31-2004, 08:50 AM
- here are a couple of shots of the great man himself, for those who may not be familiar:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2004/30792-sirlesp1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2004/30792-sirlesp2.jpg

:D

(
Dave[/QUOTE]

holy hell what is that... see fact is stranger than fiction, what a scary looking man.. is he holding PORN.. it just get 6 levels scarier :eek:

instargalv
08-31-2004, 08:55 AM
Well. I'm impressed! - everyone's work is finishing up great. It's interesting for me to see how each artist picked up small details in the original that I missed - so much for my keen artist's eye :-) I hope to try the Hopper next month - it's one of my favorite paintings.

Dave, thanks for the heads up about the February MOM - I've looked the thread over and there's a lot of good info there.

I've enjoyed painting with you guys - we'll have to do it again!

Robert

dcorc
08-31-2004, 09:07 AM
holy hell what is that... see fact is stranger than fiction, what a scary looking man..

I thought those in the US might have been "protected" from "Sir Les", the "Australian cultural attache" - another one of Barry Humphries outrageous comic creations (along with "Dame Edna Everage") :p

Dave

Yokovich
08-31-2004, 08:54 PM
Hi Masters of the Month-ers!! It is STILL August I will have you know so I have done my merry drinker--he is sort of sloppy (god I am so envious of dcorc's belt buckle!)--and he needs better eyebrows--on and on and on I could go on with what is wrong with it all (but I won't!--why?? because I am so glad I did it and it is still August--til tomorrow that is!!) thanks for the great August image--when I was done with it I had flash backs to some of the 1950's art that always seems to employ a figure in a great big hat!! (guys like this and matadors were so popular!) Thanks for checking out my messy merry guy!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2004/33531-mymerrydrinker.jpg

Carey Griffel
08-31-2004, 11:01 PM
Celestia, nice to see you made it. ;) I very much like your rendition, the colors, the loose brush strokes. You even captured his likeness, yet made him look a little less, shall we say, crooked. :)

And, Dave...I'll just say that there are times when I am very, very glad that I am not European. :p :evil: :angel: :cool: :D

~!Carey

Squib
09-03-2004, 01:45 PM
Hi guys - I failed.......miserably. My MOM is sitting on the shelf in my Art room, staring at me from one squint eye, wondering when I am going to finish him. Ah well....move on to next month I guess. I had hoped to get him finished, but ran out of time. I went up to Sheffield, where my son was competing in the World Firefighter Games - great fun but my nerves are shattered from watching him ! Well done everyone on the finished paintings. They look great.
See you all for the Sept. MOM. (Its Sept already, I'd better get started). :)

dcorc
09-04-2004, 08:17 AM
Celestia - you have the essence of this, here - you should count it a success, as it's done in that broad bravura style.

Lorraine/Squib - you don't have to complete (or even do) the painting within the month, you know - it's just that if a group of us do it together its the most fun, and the most educational, because we can compare progress, and discuss techniques and problems as we are working on them.

I've got a few details to add to mine, which I will do at some point across the weekend and post.

We're starting the Hopper, for September, now

Dave

Squib
09-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Thanks for that Dave :) , so I haven't failed after all - just a bit slow lately. Life keeps interfering with my painting time - what a nuisance !

bjs0704
09-08-2004, 10:41 PM
Tina - Your “merry drinker” is looking pretty good! Hals was such a good painter that he isn’t an easy one to copy. :clap:

I think that I am learning more from this one though. Some of his methods for suggesting textures are really impressive! The use of lights and darks to suggest different materials is incredible.

The shadow on the right side of the face is really tricky - it almost doesn’t work for him. I know that I had to repaint that part a couple of times.

Dave -
I note the way a lot of stuff is hatched, and the way that Hals just picks out the highlights on things and frequently paints only those

That is an interesting observation. This piece is almost monochromatic. Almost everything has some yellow ochre in it. The black and white (and red) are used to adjust the color. The thought that Hals was doing this by concentrating more on catching the highlights is an interesting observation on his method of getting the objects recreated quickly. I noticed that the shadows are also noted quickly.

Also realising that a lot of the bravura brushwork is painted slowly - it looks fast, but that doesn't mean it's painted that way!

Hals painting method reminds me of the story of the old Japanese calligraphy master. The calligrapher would meditate for hours and then just paint one or two marks. Because his concentration was so good and his intended process was so thought out, the marks would be in the perfect place.

I really love the face on your fellow. His eyes are great! You have also done particularly well with all of his gold trimmings. Good job! :clap: :clap:

Celestia - You have done pretty well for a quick blocked in version.

Years ago, I read an article by the painter, Dominic Cretara (contemporary painter working in a fairly classic style) which suggested copying master works by first doing them as a quick block in. It was intended to help someone learn about the general color placements.

He looks really good! :clap:

Lorraine - I am still working on my painting also! I am not giving up. I think that this one has been my favorite. Maybe that is because he was such a challenge to paint! I am also intending to do the Hopper House. Good luck with him! I can totally understand what you mean about “life interferences”. I have been running into quite a bit of that myself.

I am still working on this “Merry Drinker”. He is sitting on my easel, staring at me with a merry glint in his eye, daring me to finish him up! And I am also hoping to work on the Hopper, since Hopper is another one of my many favorite painters.

I have had everything happen in August. I have seen two “hurricanes” (tropical storms by the time they got to me), and household matters that took me away from painting for about another couple of weeks. I am really eager to catch up!

dcorc
09-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Barb - interesting comments there! I agree on the shadow at the right of the face, I redid that a couple of times too.

Tina - final version, better photo yet? :)

Those still going, keep going!! :)

Just a final update on my version, a few details added and some adjustments on the face (closed the eyes down slightly).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2004/30792-dcmd5.jpg

Dave

guillot
09-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Hiya Dave :wave: I have some more work to do to it. I got off in Yucca land - and haven't returned, LOL But, I do have plans to work on it some more this weekend and hopefully finish this one up.

Thanks for asking ;)

Tina

loop
09-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Dave, you did an outstandng job on this. really love the look of the jacket

artbabe21
09-10-2004, 08:25 AM
outstanding work everyone.......on what I think is a difficult subject~~ :)

Jaysen
09-22-2004, 11:57 AM
I've finally gotten to the canvas on my copy of this wonderfull painting. I started by stretching a canvas over a 30x24" frame. That left me with about 3-4" extra height, which I'll make up for by continuing the figure's torso and sleeves down about 1.5" and continuing the background up the rest of the way. That'll keep the subject pretty much centered.

After stretching the canvas, I took out my first two sketches done on art paper and studied them. What I wanted to do was to draw a rough layout for values. I avoided making edge lines as much as possible, since in the painting, most things sorta flow together. The exception is the lace on the sleeves and throat and the glass outline. So, with that in mind, I started a sketch of shadows... only drawing blocks of value. I made pretty good progress and finished in about 2 hours. I brought the painting down to the garage and added a hefty coat of workable fixative and left it there to dry overnight. The light in my studio has been fading lately because of losing bulbs in my fan/light. So, in my tired state, I think I didn't realize the lack of contrast in my work. I'll have to add some more darks to my shadows when I start on my brief underpainting.

I've been thinking about how to tackle this subject for over a month now, and I think I'll start with a wash of yellow ochre that matches the value of the most prevailant light areas of the painting. Then, probrably the next day, I'll paint a piece at a time. First, I'll lay down a coat of the medium value of the section, then add in shadows by adding indian red, raw umber, or a tad bit of prussian blue to the wet paint. Highlights will be added last, and thickly. Some I will add into the wet paint, others I'll have to wait till the underlayer gets a bit tacky, then scumble them on, using a mix of my colors. I'll use no black. I plan to paint the background first, so that I won't have to change or fix the edges of the subject. I'll be using the following pallette: Yellow Ochre, Indian red, Prussian blue, Raw umber, and Flake white. I'll be using about 4 very cheap and stiff bristle brushes. I have a feeling that Hals did this painting in between jobs, so to speak. Articles about him said that he was very poor and barely was able to keep his family fed and clothed. I doubt that he lavished money on his supplies. I think the hardest part of the painting will be keeping that bleary, slobbering, drunk look on the subject's face. I'm guessing that Hals had quite a bit of experience with drunkards, because he nailed the expression.

Oh, and that isn't his belt buckle. It's a medallion on a chain. Those were used to signify offices or posts held, as well as religious symbols. I'm thinking this guy was one of the conscripted millitia and the medallion is a symbol of office, perhaps a watch captain.

I'm at work right now, but I'll post pics as soon as I get home.

Jaysen
09-22-2004, 12:30 PM
Or, this model could just be the local drunk that Hals dressed up with props he had on hand. I know that same glass appears in at least one other painting, the young man and lute. The model appears in two other paintings done during that same time frame. Here's one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2004/46838-31peecke.jpg

Jaysen
09-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Here's my sketch on the canvas. I'm a little worried about the canvas because the canvas has a small ridgeline right in the middle. It shouldn't hurt too much since it's in the hat portion that'll be almost black.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2004/46838-frans1.jpg

bjs0704
09-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Jaysen - It is interesting to hear about your process you are using for your copy! I am really looking forward to seeing how it looks. Do you have any idea when Hals did this “fellow in red”? Is it about the same time period as our Merry Drinker? I love the buttons on the "fellow in red's" shirt!

I was thinking that the metal object would be miserable as a belt buckle. Thanks for letting me know that it is a medal. When I get back to finishing my copy, knowing that it was a medal will be helpful.

Jaysen
09-22-2004, 10:24 PM
Well, after toning the canvas, I couldn't resist working on the hat. Then, I just had to add some shadows while I had the cool shadow color mixed.... then, well... here's the update.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2004/46838-frans2.jpg

Jaysen
09-22-2004, 10:34 PM
Jaysen - It is interesting to hear about your process you are using for your copy! I am really looking forward to seeing how it looks. Do you have any idea when Hals did this “fellow in red”? Is it about the same time period as our Merry Drinker? I love the buttons on the "fellow in red's" shirt!

I was thinking that the metal object would be miserable as a belt buckle. Thanks for letting me know that it is a medal. When I get back to finishing my copy, knowing that it was a medal will be helpful.

The paintings were done around the same time, along with several other character studies not envolving a commisioned portrait. That's why I think he was a little behind on bills at this time.

I used to be in the Society for Creative Anachronisms and my persona was a late 16th century cavalier type. I had a medallion very simular to the one in the pic. It's basically a large brouch/medallion on a chain. You wrap your cloak (basically just a large diamond shaped piece of wool, around your shoulders and fasten it with the brooch, which also holds it onto your clothing. Then when you leave your cloak at the door of an inn or bar (cause they were usually dirty and wet) you took your expensive brooch/medallion with you, hence it being on a chain. They were mostly designed to show your family/rank/office and such. Since this fellow is wearing brown/yellow without much ornamentation, I expect he's a lower class who happens to be on some duty, signified by the medallion. Of course, I could be happlessly wrong.

bjs0704
09-23-2004, 12:20 AM
This has been my favorite of the Master of the Months. I have always really loved music and art from this era. But it hasn’t been easy.

I have had someone suggest that he may be a bit better off than we think. Their thought was that his lace (and possible leather clothing) would cost more than the very poor could afford. If this were the case, he would be sort of an office guy on a Friday night spree. There is a little gold on his shirt.

The Society for Creative Anachronisms sounds like it would have been fun.

Your off to a good start! Keep up the good work!

Biki
09-23-2004, 03:34 AM
Or, this model could just be the local drunk that Hals dressed up with props he had on hand. I know that same glass appears in at least one other painting, the young man and lute. The model appears in two other paintings done during that same time frame. Here's one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2004/46838-31peecke.jpg

I like this one much better - less sleazy than the other one. Maybe a younger version of the same boozer. :D

Jaysen
09-23-2004, 07:52 AM
I had the hat down exactly like the original, but for some reason, the paint turned blue on me when I put it down. I debated with myself what to do, and finally went back over it with indian red to change the color back to black/brown. I think Hals did the same thing, because you can see the almost drybrush strokes on the edge in a sorta blue/green color, then a very thin stroke of reddish/brown (maybe sienna?) outside the lines on the top.

I could almost see the original artist at work as I studied the piece. I need to paint the jerkin, then the lace, then finish the beard and hair. Then, I'll add in the highlights and white very last.

bjs0704
09-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Which black did you use? Each one has a slightly different undertone.

I used ivory black and it looked great, but it is a warm black. I have read that Hals used a lamp black.

Jaysen
09-23-2004, 04:52 PM
I had mixed prussian blue, indian red, yellow ochre, and some raw umber. I had inadvertantly gotten it way too cool, but didn't realize it because my pallete is a rich brown color. That prussian blue is soooo strong. The indian red glaze made it all better.

bjs0704
09-23-2004, 06:01 PM
I didn't even use any blue when I did this painting! (Though Prussian Blue is such a great looking color.) Hals is amazing for the amount that he does with so few colors!

Jaysen
09-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Next installment. I played around with the fur collar quite a bit before coming up with a process to simulate the original. I first glazed a thin coat of flake white onto the surface. Then using no medium at all and a small flat kolinsky, I dipped one side in tacky flake white and the other side in tacky yellow ochre. Then, using very choppy strokes I applied in an almost impasto style. Next will be the chin shadows and then the whiskers.

For the body, I mixed up some yellow ochre, a dab of raw umber, and a very small amount of indian red and painted the entire jerkin, minus sleeves. For the sleeves, I added the tiniest amount of prussian blue. The shadows were then done with thinned raw umber. For the glass, I added the base coat of warmed ochre.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2004/46838-frans3.jpg

bjs0704
09-23-2004, 10:54 PM
He is looking great! Keep up the good work!

Jaysen
09-24-2004, 11:17 PM
This painting is really cruising along. I found a better reference photo that even has a close-up of the face. The image is a bit more reddish, but that's okay.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2004/46838-frans4.jpg

bjs0704
09-25-2004, 12:28 AM
He looks great! He face is really looking fantastic! His expression is very good!

loop
09-25-2004, 05:27 PM
that IS looking good

he looks like he had his arm amputated, probably lost a sword fight.

Jaysen
09-25-2004, 06:29 PM
that IS looking good

he looks like he had his arm amputated, probably lost a sword fight.

That could explain the heavy drinking, too.

Oh oh... I just figured out what's wrong with the eyes. His right eye should be slanted more. The right side (our right) should be higher than the left.

dcorc
09-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Hi Jaysen - he's coming along well - the eye should correct easily enough.

Keep up the good work!

Dave

Jaysen
09-29-2004, 12:14 AM
Scumbling, mumbling, and bumbling...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2004/46838-frans5.jpg

Yokovich
09-29-2004, 02:04 AM
Jaysen what a good likeness--and those golds you achieved are so nice!!! well done! (is he done?)

dcorc
09-29-2004, 05:21 AM
Good going, there, Jaysen! - With regard to the lace collar, I'm interested in your approach, and your comments about using "tacky" paint - it is an interesting idea, letting the paint "set-up" a bit before using it - paint which has been sitting on the palette a few days (even covered with wrap) does handle differently to paint straight out the tube.

Dave

Jaysen
09-29-2004, 08:37 AM
One big technique that Hals must've used is laying down paint on top of / scumbled with another color without letting them mix. If you look closely at his bright yellows and try to get the same effect using only yellow ochre and flake white, you'll see that you can't do it by mixing the two. You have to put them on the canvas with a rough and unmixed technique. I tried using the tacky paint to achieve this so that it wouldn't mix and give me a brighter and more interesting color. The only other way to do it, would be to put down white, then let it dry, then scumble yellow over it. I did this also, but I don't think that's how Hals did it.

I'm not quite finished. I still need to add the rope/chain on the left side of the belt, and all the detail of the belt.

dcorc
09-29-2004, 10:08 AM
One big technique that Hals must've used is laying down paint on top of / scumbled with another color without letting them mix. If you look closely at his bright yellows and try to get the same effect using only yellow ochre and flake white, you'll see that you can't do it by mixing the two. You have to put them on the canvas with a rough and unmixed technique. I tried using the tacky paint to achieve this so that it wouldn't mix and give me a brighter and more interesting color. The only other way to do it, would be to put down white, then let it dry, then scumble yellow over it. I did this also, but I don't think that's how Hals did it.

I'm not quite finished. I still need to add the rope/chain on the left side of the belt, and all the detail of the belt.

This is why people get into thixotropic mediums using resins, such as Maroger's (leaded oil - plus mastic in turpentine), and amber - which people like Eastlake and Maroger claimed were the sort of things used by the Old Masters to achieve these effects.

Dave

Jaysen
09-29-2004, 07:36 PM
C'est Finit.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2004/46838-frans6.jpg

A close-up of the glass, showing the scumble technique.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2004/46838-glass.jpg

A close-up of the belt.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2004/46838-medallion.jpg

A close-up of the collar.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2004/46838-collar.jpg

bjs0704
09-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Jaysen - It's absolutely fantastic!!!! I am SO IMPRESSED!!! :clap: :clap:

Good Work!!!

guillot
09-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Great work Jaysen !!!!! :clap:

Tina

dcorc
09-29-2004, 11:04 PM
C'est Finit.

C'est magnifique! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dave

sonalgoyal
11-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi,

I am trying to make a copy of this beautiful painting, and am really struggling with the face. As this is the first time I am doing a portrait, I really do not know how to get the right look on the face, and even the resemblence is not coming out :(

I would appreciate all comments on how to make this piece better. If you feel it is not going anywhere and I should stop and junk it, do let me know too.

Here are the snaps

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157594382711691/

Thanks,
Sonal

bjs0704
11-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Hi Sonal,

You are really doing a good job. It looks like you have the proportions of the face done fairly well.

Some of the highlights and shadows don’t seem to be in your “Merry Drinker. When I do portraits is try to paint all of the shadows on the head first. You’ve got the darkest shadow on the side. There are also some lighter shadow that are just darker than the basic skin tone. Those shadows help to define the nose, the eye socke and other features on the face such as the curve on his forehead and the roundness on his cheeks.

These link are to drawing threads but they describe the structure and the shading of the eyes and nose really well.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119052
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128798
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153306

I hope that this helps! Let me know, if how it goes!

You really are doing a good job! Keep up the good work! This isn’t the easiest piece to do, but with patience it’s possible! I had to redo some parts several times to get it right.

Good luck with it!

sonalgoyal
11-21-2006, 03:32 AM
Thanks Barb. I went through the links you sent and they look very helpful. I will practice and see if I can redo the face. I really hope it works out.

sonalgoyal
11-21-2006, 03:34 AM
Hi,

Would you also like to auggest any other improvements in the painting other than the face?

Thanks