PDA

View Full Version : Sour Face

TedDawson
07-31-2004, 11:19 PM
My kids eating stuff that they didn't care for.

Axl
08-01-2004, 12:39 AM
Okay, that picture with your little boy? thats the BEST!!!

designbyjen
08-01-2004, 09:09 AM
i'm digg'in it*
so u r lean'in towards book illust. now? i'm lov'in yer versitility.
~~~jen

TedDawson
08-01-2004, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to focus on illustration for children's publications. I sent a dozen or so samples to the art director of the Cricket magazines a couple weeks ago... got my rejection letter last week. Normally rejection letters don't bother me, but he said my work was too "cartoony," and I couldn't figure that out. They use a lot of work that's cartoony ink-and-watercolor. So for spite I'm going to send in a bunch of realistic work and see what happens. Probably I'll get a letter that says my work is too realistic. ;) But then I'll give him a call and see if he's willing to talk a little.

Persistence is what they say, right? http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2004/36907-smiley-hammer.gif

designbyjen
08-01-2004, 10:24 PM
glad u r turning the cheek & hitt'in it again. your stuff is great & you will get your breakthrough one way or another.
i remember u mentioning u get 'the artist's magazine'...did you enter any watercolors in that competition? i entered a variety of stuff but, no notification by 7/31 so i guess the silence is my 'rejection letter'--poo. :rolleyes:
~~~jen

Axl
08-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Ahh that would explain the other empty post, then, that i ended up cleaning out of here..

Sorry to hear about the regection letter. Hopefully seeing different stuff like this'lll make them think twice about you and your work... Maybe they are more concerned about your diversity as an illustrator?

I wonder how stuff like this works. ha

TedDawson
08-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Jen, I've only taken Artist Magazine for a couple of months, so I must've missed the contest. I saw something about one for next year, and contemplated entering. I'm not big on contests and awards and such, but I may enter something in that. I've seen what goes on behind the scenes with a couple of awards things, and it's totally revolting. I'm sure there are several that are cool, though.

I applied for a couple of artist grants with Creative Capital and that was the rejection from them... silence. They had thousands of applicants, so I guess sometimes it's not feasible to reply to everyone.

I wonder how this stuff works, too, Axl. Usually once I figure that out, I change careers. :p

I figure it's mostly about sending stuff out obnoxiously and finding someone who personally likes your work. I've mostly been trying to get a handle on using paint. Now I'm starting to work more on my composition and page design. I've got a basic portfolio website up now, and this month I'm going to start monthly postcard mailings.

Kathryn Wilson
08-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Hi Ted - these are adorable! I remember my kids' faces when they tasted stuff - more like down-turned mouths ready to puke - :eek: .

I think you are right on about sending more stuff to the publisher - I think persistence is the name of the game. It's just like job hunting - follow-up with a phone call, initiate a conversation, learn what it is they want. What more can you do??

Would love to see your portfolio web site - share?? I'd also take advantage of the free gallery space that WC has - I've gotten an amazing amount of hits and several inquiries - one from a gallery and one from a client. Nothing has come of either yet, but it tells me people are looking.

TedDawson
08-05-2004, 02:48 PM
My portfolio site is fairly rudimentary right now, but I wanted to get something up. I want to get it reworked soon, probably using frames. I like the simple and effective way this illustrator's site is set up:

http://www.tedlewin.com/

I also need to figure out a better way to categorize everything. It's always harder for me to do these types of things for myself than for someone else.

Here's my working site. The pages will probably load slowly, something else I need to fix.

http://www.teddawson.com

I registered this domain name a couple of years ago but didn't have a use for it and didn't re-register it. Someone else snapped it up, hoping to sell it. I waited 'em out and got it back. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2004/36907-razz.gif

Any suggestionis on improving my site are extremely welcome!

Ted

Kathryn Wilson
08-05-2004, 03:25 PM
Hi Ted: I just had an enjoyable trip through your web site. I think your illustrations are beautifully done - your children's book illustrations are clean, clear and should attract writers and publishers. Your watercolors are splendid too - I know how difficult a medium that is to control and you do a wonderful job at that.

I walked through you web site several times to see if anything caught my eye - everything works for me and I like your site even better than the example you gave - it's more logical to me. One thing - one your home page, the one stipple/pen is covering your name up too much - other than that it is very attractive! I think if you want to push childrens illustration you could put an example of that in place of the cartoon - just my thoughts and hope it helps some.

TedDawson
08-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Kat, thanks for the feedback. Those are things that had been bugging me as well. Hopefully I kept that picture separated in layers so I don't have to do the carved effect again!

designbyjen
08-06-2004, 09:48 AM
i reeealllly like the cleaness of your site. a relief to know you only have one wife out in good ole' OK, ted (u so funny).
i'm thinking i should revamp my own site in a like manner. and should fiddle w/ artagent too since (kyle said) it's getting eyeballs on it other than wetcanvasers. now if somebody could just figure that cloning thing out i just might be able to accomplish everything.
t.g.i.f.
~~~jen

TedDawson
08-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I forgot to say Thanks for mentioned ArtAgent, too... that's something I'm going to try fiddling with as well.

Okay, so the Simple thing is working for my site. That's good to hear. I've gotten lost a couple of times on some artist's sites and don't want that to happen on mine. I want it to be clear what I do, even though I'm not quite sure what it is I do yet.

If I were able to clone myself, my wife would surely kill one of me. Funny thing, with having two ankle biters around, staying home and working at home, having a house now that requires fixing whatever happens to fall apart on a daily basis, I am probably getting more work done than ever. My wife and little ones provide more incentive and motivation and support than I ever had prior.

AFM159
08-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Coming in late on this one....Man, I gotta get a website up.....I've not needed one sofar, but I'm seeing more and more uses for one as a marketing tool....Ted you've changed yours since I last looked...I like it....easy enough to navigate.....I particularly like the homepage photo with your name carved in the desktop....also the Superman gags and the "pull my finger" skunk had me bustin' a gut! :D

I've tried to write gags and oneliners, to do some cartooning, but I'm just not that funny....oh well...

The portraits of your kids sour faces are great! No thank you bites at my house usually involve lots of crying and pleas to not have ta, and don wanna, and why, daddy?