PDA

View Full Version : Mount Vision Pastels

binkie
07-31-2004, 04:17 PM
I know everyone differs on their pastels preference, but I'd sure like your opinions on Mount Vision pastels. I bought one dark green and it is really dark! I do like it and would like to hear from others.

Thanks,
gwen

meowmeow
07-31-2004, 06:37 PM
I have some Mount Visions. A store near here carries them. I don't have any darks though, most of what they make seem to be light and a lot of pinky stuff. I do like what I have. I got the red set at one point and when I first saw the colors I was a little unsure how they would be but I use them a lot.
They are a bit like Unisons if I had to compare them in softness. Do you agree?

Sandy

Khadres
08-01-2004, 01:32 AM
That's one brand I haven't tried yet. Will be interested to hear y'alls' thoughts!

meowmeow
08-01-2004, 08:01 AM
Here is Dakota's page on Mount Vision:

http://www.dakotapastels.com/soft_mountvision.shtml

And here is their page comparing softness:

http://www.dakotapastels.com/index_softpastels.shtml

Interesting, I was right about them being "close" to Unison!

binkie
08-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Sandy, I don't have any Unions ... yet :evil:

Khardes, I really like the one Mount Vision I have.

gwen

Khadres
08-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Sandy, how would you compare mt. visions with Great Americans? I really like my GAs, except for some weird mislabellings on a couple.

Deborah Secor
08-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Sorry to disagree but in my opinion the Mount Visions are NOWHERE NEAR as soft as GAs or Unisons! They don't compare. He sent me some complimentary sticks when he introduced them. Nice man, but I couldn't back the product. I can't believe that Dakota put them where they did... I'd rate them next to Rembrandts and Art Spectrums myself! I find the MV colors to be overly blatant, no subtlety at all, and the texture is crispy on the outside and dull on the paper. No slide or softness, compared to the softies I love. Keep in mind this is just me! Others will love them, I'm sure... but you asked, so I've told it like it is (for me.) :p

Oh, Sooz, what mislabelings have you found on GAs? Bob has some very funny names for the colors...! 'Burnt Reynolds' always makes me laugh--yet seems at least somewhat descriptive of a color.

Deborah

meowmeow
08-01-2004, 03:01 PM
Great Americans are definitely softer. I htink Unisons are softer but I don't think MV is life Rembrandt either.
I just find the color assortment to be odd. I have picked up a few I liked but overall see mostly "pastelly" colors...which I use but I have not seen much dark.
I don't dislike them but I wouldn't say they are my favorite either. But I don't feel as strongly against them as Deborah. But everyone is different. If you like it Binkie then try a couple others. I might not get a set, just a couple more. And try some Unisons and some of the others as well.
I think you'll find that having a variety is good. I use different brands at different times in different paintings. :D

s.

artist_pw
08-01-2004, 06:01 PM
Hi:

I got a set of landscape colors to try them from Jerry's Artarama on sale a few months ago because I got a sample stick at a MidAmerica Pastel society once, and I also got some Unisons and a medium sized set of Great Americans to try to round out my pastels a little more because I basically only had Art Spectrums, NuPastels, along with a few samples of Senneliers, Schminckes, Diane Townsends, Terry Ludwigs, etc. before that. I sort of tend to like the harder varieties, so the MV are good for me - they're on the softer side, but not too soft.

For naming conventions, Unison's system is about as good as any I've encountered. I tend to wish names would be like normal oil color names - like alizarin crimson, but with blends, it would be difficult to do.

Right now, Jerry's is having a little sale that I think goes until the end of August, and I think a lot of the pastel sets and individuals are at a discount. Also, Wallis and other papers are on sale, too along with other pastel items. Jerry's has been pretty good about filling orders, with only a few misses here and there. I usually try to compare Jerry's, ASW Express, Cheap Joes, and MisterArt because they seem to be consistently lower priced on about every item, but you've got to watch.

Khadres
08-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Oh, Sooz, what mislabelings have you found on GAs? Bob has some very funny names for the colors...! 'Burnt Reynolds' always makes me laugh--yet seems at least somewhat descriptive of a color.

Deborah

Well, I placed a fair sized order for GAs awhile back and got ALMOST all the right colors upon arrival....BUT...there were two sticks (can't recall the name right now and too lazy to go look) within a range I'd ordered that were entirely different colors than labelled. Surely a glitch in the machinery or something, I'm sure, and since I liked the odd colors anyway, I kept 'em, but was a bit disconcerting at the time. I just figure if it's happened to me, it probably does present a problem now and then. To be desperate for a specific color and recieve the wrong one would be distressing. BUT I love the GAs....they have so many subtle gradations of color and some colors nobody else seems to match. My dream Xmas gift would be a Full Monty set. :D

prestonsega
08-03-2004, 04:25 AM
My goal for now is to win the complete collection of Unisons in the upcoming PJ 100,,,the only thing stopping me is producing a winning painting lol :)

Khadres
08-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Well, hop to it! You can do it! And then I'll be happy to take any old leftover pastels you have after you win! :D

chewie
08-03-2004, 02:16 PM
i have a few of these, and they're ok, but not on the top of my list. the few i have seem chalky. i am surprised that ASp. doesn't get more cudos, i very much like them, esp. the darks. i guess i too find that i use more mid-soft rather than buttery soft types tho. i have a 60 set of schminke that i barely touch! unisons are great, and i like holbein and giraults too, but don't have many of either. i think the GAs are almost too soft for most things for me. and i have one diane t., that is just awesome, but like that other brand, are too expensive for me to 'fill up' on. anyone use those real expensive things? (that i can't think how to spell right now! :p )so funny how pastelists have to have a few of each!! but fun, idn't it?!

binkie
08-03-2004, 11:08 PM
Think I'll just order the sampler from Dakota.

Thanks everyone!
gwen