PDA

View Full Version : How do you get spiffy descriptions for your auctions?

CarlyHardy
10-09-2001, 11:10 PM
I'm using the free program from www.etusa.com to build my description page but I've found that I'm writing more and more of my html because the program is limited in its simplicity (of course, that's one of its good points, too)

Do any of you use Front Page? or other software?
carly

okay, I thought I'd add my latest pic that's up for auction!I don't sell them framed or matted, but I do include an idea of how it would look in my description.

arteitaliana
10-10-2001, 03:11 AM
This is truly beautiful Carly!!
Are you talking Titles or just Descriptions?
In Titles I try to use words that will come up in searches. I try to do that to also in the first few words of the description (these also come up in searches). So, the words watercolor, rose, delicate, colorful, should be prominent in my view, followed by size, support used and whatever else you want to use to enhance the description. I personally do not like long wordy descriptions.
I don't like words like beautiful or stunning in titles because I don't think many people will search for "stunning watercolor" but they will instead search for "roses, watercolor" or "flowers watercolor" or "flower painting" or something like it.
I don't know if I helped much...I tried.
:)

Sumafra
10-10-2001, 10:02 PM
Carly, that's beautiful. I love it.

I'm like Rita. I try to put words that I think people will search on like watercolor, acrylic, floral and so on, plus my name, I always put by FRAM in there.

CarlyHardy
10-11-2001, 12:42 PM
I'm just talking about the description area for your auction page..I think we could do another topic about titles!! It took me awhile to get all the right things going with my titles, too.

I know some of the auction pages look very professional and I want to make mine as user friendly as possible. And as attractive as possible to show off the painting...after someone has browsed for an hour...and if they happen to fall across one of my paintings. I want them to stop and enjoy the view!

I agree Rita...wordiness is not conducive to buyer viewing! I browse a lot and I don't read anything that is wordy. I scan for size, medium, and cost to ship if I'm interested in the item. If really interested, I check the seller feedback!

So any ideas about what you like and don't like about descriptions would be helpful!
carly

tammy
10-11-2001, 09:32 PM
My descriptions usually include what I painted and what was going on with the subject I painted and or why I painted it. Then I invite the buyer to add it to their landscape, animal etc collection!

Sumafra
10-11-2001, 10:51 PM
I agree with you Carly. I don't really like some of the pages that are just too fancy or too busy. I like to keep mine nice and clean and easy to read. I do put in a fair bit of information but people can quit reading when they want and move on to the pictures. I would like to make mine a bit nicer and I will one of these days when I get into more web design. Until then the Etusa ads look pretty good. And it is certainly easy to use the same ad and just change the relevant information each time instead of trying to redo the whole thing.